Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#195400 - 05/31/04 02:58 PM black and white (bitonal) vs grayscale images
mb Offline
New Poster
Any opinion on the issues between b&w versus grayscale - lost audit trail is one, loss of detail to process returned items is another - what else should we consider?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#195401 - 05/31/04 03:13 PM Re: black and white (bitonal) vs grayscale images
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since the Federal Reserve Banks are adopting a B&W standard -- 200 to 240 dpi tiff files, if I were a banker, that is the format I would shoot for. I've seen thousands of the B&W images scanned at that resolution and the quality and clarity is impressive, especially when you consider that the resulting size of the file is very small (usually around 22k).

Return to Top
#195402 - 05/31/04 10:44 PM Re: black and white (bitonal) vs grayscale images
Bill Saffici Offline
100 Club
Bill Saffici
Philadelphia
I support Mary Beth's comments. However, there are some organizations that perform a centralized return item service for corporations who believe they will lose the ability to capture information that is imprinted by cash regiser type machines in the merchant locations. This information is important to the corporations in tracking losses and collecting return items. Remember, the FRB announcement is only related to images they accept for collection. The SVPCo organization is allowing its members to exchange both B/W and Grayscale. Interesting consideration of the ECCHO rules is that the recipient must retain an image in the format it is presented but can transcode it for its own use. Transcoding from Grayscale to B/W creates a loss of data, thus the rsulting B/W is not the same as an originally captured B/W. Naturally, if you start with B/W, you can't go to Grayscale.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett