Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1955729 - 08/21/14 04:11 PM Exemption a customer for cash withdrawals for tips
needtoknowplease Offline
New Poster
I am having a hard time determining if this would be considered a "Payroll Customer". We have a branch who are asking for one of their customers be considered for CTR Exemption. They operate a restaurant and withdraw cash on a monthly basis to "tip out" their employees.

Would you consider their "tipping out" as a sort of payroll and include them in this category for Phase II exemption?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1955911 - 08/21/14 09:25 PM Re: Exemption a customer for cash withdrawals for tips needtoknowplease
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
A ‘‘payroll
customer’’ is any other person (i.e., a
person not otherwise covered under the
exempt person definitions) that: (A) Has
maintained a transaction account at the
bank for at least two months; (B)
operates a firm that regularly withdraws
more than $10,000 in order to pay its
United States employees in currency;
and (C) is incorporated or organized
under the laws of the United States or
a State, or is registered as and eligible
to do business within the United States
or a State.17 A payroll customer is an
exempt person ‘‘[w]ith respect solely to
withdrawals for payroll purposes"- Tips do not sound like payroll to me. I found this in a FinCen Release from 2009 about Payroll exemptions.

Return to Top
#1955917 - 08/21/14 09:37 PM Re: Exemption a customer for cash withdrawals for tips needtoknowplease
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
The thing that I would question is: are these reported on the W-2 by the employer (as tips). If so, I would argue that they constitute part of the payroll package and the customer could be deemed a 'payroll customer'.

I'm not sure about this particular situation, but I have heard of companies where the employee's "wage" is a combination of tips, with the employer adding to them if they were not sufficient to meet either the minimum wage or some contracted amount.

Return to Top
#1955927 - 08/21/14 09:47 PM Re: Exemption a customer for cash withdrawals for tips needtoknowplease
kw004h Offline
100 Club
Chicagoland, IL
Does it seem a bit strange that cash to "tip out" would only be needed once a month? I used to enjoy taking my cash tips home every night when I worked in food service. For those times when the tip was left via credit card, my employer paid us from the register at the end of each night - not once a month. I wonder if practices have changed, or if that was just what my employer did?

Return to Top
#1955947 - 08/21/14 11:39 PM Re: Exemption a customer for cash withdrawals for tips needtoknowplease
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sounds like they are paying the tips back under the table. I would be vetting this customer very carefully.

Return to Top
#1955952 - 08/22/14 01:27 AM Re: Exemption a customer for cash withdrawals for tips needtoknowplease
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I'm curious about what they're doing, too curious to even consider them for exemption...

Return to Top
#1956073 - 08/22/14 02:28 PM Re: Exemption a customer for cash withdrawals for tips needtoknowplease
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
A once monthly CTR is not too great a burden to bear in this situation, in my humble opinion. This explanation is just too strange (as in foreign to my experience) to make me comfortable.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z