Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1956840 - 08/25/14 10:18 PM Debit/Credit cards and blocked countries
ms.understood Offline
Washington
Do you automatically block transactions conducted at or through certain countries on your issued debit and credit cards?

If so, is there a list you maintain?

The reason I ask is because in the past we've blocked countries on the OFAC Sanctions Programs and Country Information list, regardless of whether or not they've been comprehensive sanctions or selective sanctions. As the list has grown bigger, and some of the sanctions are trickier, this seems daunting. A link to the list is HERE

Any advice is welcomed smile

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1957197 - 08/26/14 09:39 PM Re: Debit/Credit cards and blocked countries ms.understood
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
We only issue debit cards, and, currently all foreign countries are blocked and the customer has to tell us what country(ies) to open and for how long. This has probably been done since the majority of our customers in this area of the state (Northern New Mexico) don't particularly travel out of country too often, if at all.

Return to Top
#1978452 - 11/24/14 01:36 PM Re: Debit/Credit cards and blocked countries ms.understood
Jerseygirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Jersey Shore
What do you do if one of the countries requested is on a sanction list. For instance we have a customer who will be traveling to central america and Cuba for educational purposes in December. As well as several whose travel will include Myanamar. Do you do any spectial monitoring of the activity?

Return to Top
#1978455 - 11/24/14 02:01 PM Re: Debit/Credit cards and blocked countries ms.understood
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Cuba for educational purposes in December.

It should not be a problem, as they legally cannot spend any money while they are in country.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z