Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1957053 - 08/26/14 06:05 PM Rescind a SAR ?
Paris Offline
100 Club
Honolulu HI
Is there a way to rescind a SAR that we efiled in error?

Do we resubmit the SAR with the assigned DCN and explain in the narrative that the SAR was filed in error?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1957220 - 08/26/14 11:13 PM Re: Rescind a SAR ? Paris
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The Helpline may have heard of such a thing, but it sounds like unringing the bell to me. Just amend it and say whatever needs to be said.

Please note this quote from FinCEN guidance issued this month:

An effective governance structure should allow for the BSA/AML compliance function to work independently(emphasis supplied) and to take any appropriate actions to address and mitigate any risks that may arise from an institution’s business line and to file any necessary reports, such as Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs).

If you are wanting to unring the bell because management disagrees with a decision to file a SAR, your bank is sending exactly the wrong message. Yet, knowing that, I would still probably do it if that is what management wanted because it would draw regulatory attention to the weakness in our structure.
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 08/27/14 12:27 PM. Reason: Add excerpt from Guidance

Return to Top
#1957263 - 08/27/14 01:31 PM Re: Rescind a SAR ? Elwood P. Dowd
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
I would still probably do it if that is what management wanted because it would draw regulatory attention to the weakness in our structure.

and then play dumb when management comes to you saying that now the regulators are questioning our processes...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z