Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1960974 - 09/10/14 08:14 PM Non-signers transacting on business accounts
BSAAnonymous Offline
100 Club
Do any institutions allow non-signers to conduct transactions in business accounts? Lets say a bookeeper, who is not a signer, the business owner, wants to let her send wires. What due diligence, information do you collect, on those individuals? Do you conduct OFAC checks?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1961034 - 09/10/14 09:08 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless you have a resolution authorizing these individuals to conduct such transactions, any transactions conducted and then disputed by the business entity is going to place the bank in a very bad situation.

Return to Top
#1961047 - 09/10/14 09:24 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
As Randy indicated, you have a bigger problem than OFAC checking parties if you let unauthorized parties initiate funds transfers from your business accounts.

Return to Top
#1961081 - 09/10/14 11:19 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
And OFAC would not really apply to an authorized signer who has no ownership intrest.

Return to Top
#1961089 - 09/11/14 12:04 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts Princess Romeo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo
And OFAC would not really apply to an authorized signer who has no ownership intrest.

I would strongly disagree with that statement as the authorized signatory is in control of the funds even if they do not own the funds.

U.S. law requires that assets and accounts of an OFAC-specified country, entity, or individual be blocked when such property is located in the United States, is held by U.S. individuals or entities, or comes into the possession or control of U.S. individuals or entities.

http://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/pages_manual/olm_037.htm

CAMS

Return to Top
#1961091 - 09/11/14 12:33 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts edAudit
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: edAudit

I would strongly disagree with that statement as the authorized signatory is in control of the funds even if they do not own the funds.

U.S. law requires that assets and accounts of an OFAC-specified country, entity, or individual be blocked when such property is located in the United States, is held by U.S. individuals or entities, or comes into the possession or control of U.S. individuals or entities.

http://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/pages_manual/olm_037.htm

^^ This!

Return to Top
#1961092 - 09/11/14 12:44 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts Princess Romeo
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...

I'd hate to try and defend this against an OFAC violation or in court. Put simply, if you are involved in the payment stream, OFAC applies to you.

Return to Top
#1961105 - 09/11/14 12:59 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The core problem is that you need an authorizing resolution from the entity before you will let them do anything. After they are given the authority to act you can beat them senseless with the OFAC list if you want to.

Return to Top
#1961113 - 09/11/14 01:18 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
BSAAnonymous Offline
100 Club
Thank you all. Absolutely, there would be a resolution from the entity allowing these individuals to conduct these transactions.
Regarding OFAC - what if one of these "non-signers" is a terrorist on the SDN List - I would want to screen everyone.

Return to Top
#1961119 - 09/11/14 01:31 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Regarding OFAC - what if one of these "non-signers" is a terrorist on the SDN List - I would want to screen everyone.

Exactly. I would screen even if it was not required (see above posts). Who would like to be the bank that financed a terrorist act?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1961129 - 09/11/14 01:50 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
In order to transact on the account, would they not have a record built into your core system that would automatically be screened??? If you have an authorized party on an account without a core system record, how in the world do you manage them operationally??

Return to Top
#1961314 - 09/11/14 06:03 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Well said Randy! A record must exist in your core for any person that can transact on an account.

Return to Top
#1961388 - 09/11/14 08:12 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
That's all fine to say, but I dare say there are a fair number of banks out there that don't have systems that accommodate related records for authorized signer information.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1961394 - 09/11/14 08:17 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
They must not be running any of the major core systems available then............

Return to Top
#1961408 - 09/11/14 08:35 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts BSAAnonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Agree.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1961474 - 09/12/14 01:30 PM Re: Non-signers transacting on business accounts rlcarey
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
They must not be running any of the major core systems available then............

or they disable it...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z