Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1961516 - 09/12/14 02:38 PM Mobile Deposit
cowgirlsrule Offline
100 Club
Arkansas
What reports are you reviewing for Mobile Deposit transactions?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1961846 - 09/13/14 02:15 PM Re: Mobile Deposit cowgirlsrule
Pat Patriot Act Offline
Gold Star
Pat Patriot Act
It depends on your objective: fraud detection, AML detection, or operational issue identification. I assume you're not concerned about the latter.

For fraud, I've heard of systems that use the mobile device to log the GPS coordinates and implement anti-fraud reports based upon anomalies in location (e.g. Arkansas customer makes deposit from Chicago). But if your system is not that complex, you may want to implement a next-day report of customers with low relationship balances that make an out-of-pattern sized deposit, newer customers (< 90 days) with low balances making deposits, and customers with low collected balances who have made even thousand dollar deposits on 3 or more consecutive business days (for potential kiting).

For AML, it also depends on the system. For basic detection, you should put in models targeting excessive or anomalous values (unless low limits render the factor irrelevant), volumes, and velocities. For example: spikes in the number of items deposited, a high overall number of checks deposited, and a high number of even thousand or even hundred deposits.

If your system logs GPS data, you may want to put in models looking for some specific scenarios such as customers getting deposits in from numerous out-of-market areas then sending the money out to high-risk jurisdictions for specific crimes such as drug and human trafficking. You should also consider "structuring" scenarios at the $9k to $10k range and the $2.5k to $3k range to target folks depositing monetary instruments in a suspicious manner.

I'm sure there are a few other rules other may have put into place, so I'm eager to here what other folks are doing as well.

Return to Top
#1962011 - 09/15/14 06:04 PM Re: Mobile Deposit cowgirlsrule
cowgirlsrule Offline
100 Club
Arkansas
Thank you!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z