Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#196466 - 06/03/04 04:01 PM ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Call me lame, but sure could use some help! My 23 year old son called last night and said that when he comes to visit on Sunday that he was bringing his girlfriend. Of course we thought that was great, until he warned that 'she doesn't eat anything that once had a face'. Both my husband and I are meat eaters (him more that me) but never-the-less, I could use some help in figuring out what to fix for Sunday dinner that would not be offensive to her. I have considered making 2 separate main dishes, but my mind has gone completely blank on what I can serve her.

I am open for suggestions as I am having trouble"removing the excess stone".

Thank-you!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#196467 - 06/03/04 04:04 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Italian/pasta?

Return to Top
#196468 - 06/03/04 04:14 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
PB&J. Closed face.

Return to Top
#196469 - 06/03/04 04:15 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
go to google, type in vegetarian recipes, you will find numerous websites posting recipes that actually look like they taste good!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#196470 - 06/03/04 04:15 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Anonymous
Unregistered

She is a possible addition to your family. As such, she will have to get used to being in a family of meat eaters. You do not have to serve an all vegetarian meal. You can have your meat--and should. However, cook plenty of vegetables for her. You also need to ask what kind of vegetarian she is. This will keep you from having a problem because she will not eat milk products, eggs, etc....

The "anything with a face" is a political statement to meat eaters that any polite vegetarian would never say to a meat eater. I have many friends who are vegetarians--eating out with them is often a compromise, but they have never once said anything about the burger or steak I bite into. However, there are some, mostly very young, who make you feel guilty. Don't feel guilty.

Return to Top
#196471 - 06/03/04 04:26 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Anon. My sis-in-law was like that when her & my brother started dating. We respected her wishes, but at the same time, we asked that she respect ours. My wonderful mom made sure to find out what types of food she ate and her preference then she planned a meal around them to include steak. The one concession that mom was made was to make sure that any meat choices were boneless (meat seems less "alive" if there are no bones).

If you are willing/wanting to make some non-meat dishes, doing a search at allrecipes.com will yield some wonderful vegetarian lasagnes.

Thankfully for our family, my SIL now eats most meat, but there are still times, when all that she will eat is veggies.

Return to Top
#196472 - 06/03/04 04:29 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

She is a possible addition to your family. As such, she will have to get used to being in a family of meat eaters. You do not have to serve an all vegetarian meal. You can have your meat--and should. However, cook plenty of vegetables for her. You also need to ask what kind of vegetarian she is. This will keep you from having a problem because she will not eat milk products, eggs, etc....

The "anything with a face" is a political statement to meat eaters that any polite vegetarian would never say to a meat eater. I have many friends who are vegetarians--eating out with them is often a compromise, but they have never once said anything about the burger or steak I bite into. However, there are some, mostly very young, who make you feel guilty. Don't feel guilty.

Oops, that was me.

Return to Top
#196473 - 06/03/04 04:34 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Suggest you question your son more on some things that she does like. I am learning that there are diferring degrees of vegetarian. My son's girlfriend doesn't eat meat. She does eat any kind of seafood (there is a face there). Loves veggies, cheese, etc.

Eggplant Parmesan is good alternative recipe to serve with your regular meat entree.

Return to Top
#196474 - 06/03/04 05:00 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
The key here is to make a nice rice or couscous dish and shape in the the form of a face!

Return to Top
#196475 - 06/03/04 05:10 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
For those of you who have taken the time to respond, I am extremely grateful. I think my initial reaction was a feeling of intimidation(?), not of the girlfriend, but of the vegetarian factor, and possibly ending-up embarrassing my son. In reading your different kind words of advice, I found myself thinking, "Hey, I am the middle-aged adult here, and I am being silly to let this make me crazy"! So to all of you, THANK-YOU! You are the best!

Return to Top
#196476 - 06/03/04 05:11 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
How hysterically funny. You have truly brightened my day!

Return to Top
#196477 - 06/03/04 05:25 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

How hysterically funny. You have truly brightened my day!

Actually for about 5 years I was in the same boat as your future guest. I went the vegetarian route and it was simple to say if it has a face I don't eat it, because I'd eat eggs (they don't have faces yet) and I'd drink milk (product of creature with face, not the critter itself).

When telling people that "if it had a face I won't eat it", I wasn't trying to give them a guilt trip, and I'm sure your new friend is the same way. It was simply a matter of using the simplest terms to describe my vegetarian diet.

PS: Since those days, thanks to the succulent call of BBQ Ribs, I eat meat again, but I still eat more veggies and less meat.

Oh, and the idea for the Rice dish shaped as a face was something my mother did to me one Thanksgiving that had me rolling in laughter. She made Broccoli with Rice and Cheese, one of my favorite dishes and molded into a face complete with a baby carrot nose and two olives for eyes!

Return to Top
#196478 - 06/03/04 05:32 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Thank-you! I understand that the girlfriend is really very sweet and supposedly (according to my son) is very easy to please.

I am still sitting here chuckling about the rice, etc., shaped in to a face. That is truly very funny.

Thanks again to all.

Return to Top
#196479 - 06/03/04 05:35 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I should have said that the "won't eat anything with a face" can be a political statement rather than saying it is a political statement.

Return to Top
#196480 - 06/03/04 05:55 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
By the way, the BEST thing you can do to figure out what to cook when she is a guest is to just come out and ask her what kinds of foods she enjoys the most, or ask your son. If he can't tell you her favorite foods from dating her, he probably doesn't know enough about her to be bringing her home for dinner anyway

Easy "Faceless" Meals:

Vegetable Fried Rice
Cook Rice, Add some soy sauce and a packet of fried rice seasoning directly from the ethnic aisle at your local supermarket. Throw in some mushrooms, peas, etc. to taste. Stir fry! It's must simpler than it tastes! It makes a good main course, but is also a nice side dish that you can all enjoy.

Another option, if you can find it, is to prepare a meatless entree that tastes and looks like meat. See if your supermarket has Quorn products. These are made from some sort of mushroom, but you can get "Chickenless Patties", "Turkey", "Gardenburgers", etc. I have my whole family hooked on the Quorn Chickenlike Patties. I'm allergic to Chicken, so I don't know if they really taste exactly like Chicken, but they are great, simple, and inexpensive.

Return to Top
#196481 - 06/03/04 06:03 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Again, I must thank-you. I will certainly ask my son about her favorite foods. I guess I was thrown for a loop, as he called very late and I was half asleep. Of course, I then laid awake most of the night trying to figure out what the heck to fix, but thanks to you, I feel quite confident now on how to proceed.
Thanks again.

Return to Top
#196482 - 06/03/04 06:07 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Oh yes, and as I understand it, my son knows her quite well!

Return to Top
#196483 - 06/03/04 06:07 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
And vegetable chili can be awesome. Even me, a carnivore that makes the cows shiver when I look at them, is satisfied with it.

Vegetable Chili

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
4 stalk celery, diced
6 large garlic cloves, chopped
3 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
1 4-ounce can diced mild/medium green chilies
1 teaspoon ground coriander
6 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon hot or sweet paprika (to taste)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 15- to 16-ounce cans kidney beans, drained
1 15-16 ounce black beans
1 10-ounce package frozen corn kernels

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices, green chilies, chili powder, coriander, paprika, cumin and oregano. Cook 10 minutes to blend flavors. Add beans and corn. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chili is thick, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve over rice with shredded cheddar cheese (or with tortilla chips).

Return to Top
#196484 - 06/03/04 06:11 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Boy, just reading this makes my mouth water! Thanks for taking the time to share! I am appreciative to all.

Return to Top
#196485 - 06/03/04 06:11 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Suwannee Offline
Platinum Poster
Suwannee
Florida
Be careful of the seasonings you use also. Some vegetarians will not eat veggies that are seasoned with meats or meat greases.

Be sure not to just ask her if she eats seafood. You need to be specific. I have a friend that will also eat seafood, as long as it doesn't have legs. So, for her, shrimp, lobster, crab, etc are all out.

Good luck. Let us all know how this turns out.

Return to Top
#196486 - 06/03/04 06:16 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Won't eat seafood that has legs? How bizzare is that? If you're vegimatic due to a political choice not to eat live things...why is a clam of less value than a fish?

Clams are people too you know

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#196487 - 06/03/04 06:23 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Worcester sauce is out for my cousin who is a vegetarian, since it includes anchovies among the ingredients. He uses soy milk and tofu and tabasco. (not together though )

Return to Top
#196488 - 06/03/04 06:29 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Also, if you cook meats and vegetables, be sure to clean all meat juices and oils off the cooking surfaces before cooking the veggies. "Meat juices and oils" Mmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmm Good!

Return to Top
#196489 - 06/03/04 06:29 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Won't eat seafood that has legs? How bizzare is that? If you're vegimatic due to a political choice not to eat live things...why is a clam of less value than a fish?

Maybe it's a leg thing, you know, like Betty Grable...

Return to Top
#196490 - 06/03/04 06:33 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Maybe his girlfriend is not a vegetarian because she loves animals; instead, she is a vegetarian because she hates plants.

Return to Top
#196491 - 06/03/04 06:41 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Maybe his girlfriend is not a vegetarian because she loves animals; instead, she is a vegetarian because she hates plants.

LOL Thanks for that one...

Return to Top
#196492 - 06/03/04 07:46 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Visa D'Kline Offline
Oklahoma
OH I must reply to this one. I have been a vegetarian <no face eater> for 6 years. Go to the store and look in the frozen food section.. There are awesome products by BOCO and Morningstar. If you plan on BBQing, pick up some Boco Sausages, or Boco Burgers. Then make a nice Salad. Here is an awesome one. Spinach, Strawberry Slices, Mushrooms and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Serve with dressing choices. Then make some Baked Beans and a veggie tray. Simple as PIE.
If you need any other suggestions.. Let me know.

Return to Top
#196493 - 06/03/04 07:48 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
All of you are so funny! I love it when some of you take a post to a whole other level. It is truly hysterical and I sit here laughing out loud!! Hating plants, Betty Grable legs, clams, rice shaped into a face. All of you have been so helpful and have given me plenty to chuckle about.
I know when she shows up on Sunday I will probably start laughing just thinking about some of your posts! I will have to work at keeping a straight face, and after today, will be very hard to do!

Return to Top
#196494 - 06/03/04 07:53 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, you do make it seem as easy as pie, and yummy too. The more this day progresses, the more at ease I am about meeting her on Sunday, and feeding her too!

Thank-you.

Return to Top
#196495 - 06/03/04 07:53 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Print the thread and show it to her, unless you are afraid of scaring her off.

Return to Top
#196496 - 06/03/04 07:59 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Not a bad idea assuming she has a good sense of humor. Maybe I will show it to her after I know her a little better.

They are going on a Carribbean(?)cruise in August for 3 weeks on a rented yatch. We will then see how serious this relationship truly is.

Thanks.

Return to Top
#196497 - 06/03/04 08:05 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Yeah, I think 3 weeks at sea will make or break you...

Return to Top
#196498 - 06/03/04 08:22 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
GLL Offline
100 Club
KY
I started dating a guy that was vegan (no meats or products that come from animal - eggs, milk, cheese). Believe me, it was definitely different that I was used to eating - a big meat and potatoes person - very little green things. However, I have converted over to vegetarian for health reasons as well as biblical reasons.

As for something that you can offer your son's girlfriend, if you have a Kroger's nearby, they should have a section that is for vegetarians. It is usually over by the area where you get the bottled water from the machine. Look and you should be able to find canned veggie meats. Worthington and Loma Linda are two very good brands of vegetarian meats. Worthington has an item that is very similar to salisbury steak (meat pattie with gravy). You can open the can and just warm it up or you can add sliced mushrooms and onions. It is very good. The Morningstar and Boca products are also really good. It has made the switch for me much easier. Good luck and relax, most vegetarians realize that a lot of people don't eat that way and are not usually offended by those that do. It is just a choice that they have made and don't usually force it on others.

Return to Top
#196499 - 06/03/04 08:28 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

biblical reasons.

Are you vegetarian because of the command to not kill? You know that command is only directed toward killing people. The actual literal translation is "do not murder." It also does not apply to capital punishment, evidenced by God allowing capital punishment in the same book of the Bible. Also, in the same book there was killing and eating of animals and God did not condemn it.

I once worked with a woman who gave the "thou shalt not kill" reason for not eating meat. Nice woman. Still a friend of the family.

Is there some other biblical reason I am not aware of?
Last edited by zaibatsu; 06/03/04 08:30 PM.

Return to Top
#196500 - 06/03/04 08:29 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
"vegetarian meats"??? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

I'm not going to say anything about the can of worms you may have just opened with the biblical reference.

Return to Top
#196501 - 06/03/04 08:33 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
GLL Offline
100 Club
KY
I don't think we want to turn this into another religion uproar, but the Bible says that we are not to eat of "unclean" meats mostly refers to pork, however, any type of meat that has blood running through it is considered unclean.

As for veggie meats - I have begun calling them my fake meat!!! These meats are made with soy protein!

Return to Top
#196502 - 06/03/04 08:50 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Well, sadly to say, I am not well-versed in my Bible studies, but bottom line is.... that you [all] have provided me with some excellent recipies and advice and some great humor! Who could ask more than that?!
Thanks to all!

Return to Top
#196503 - 06/03/04 09:33 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Fish have blood running through them and yet are allowed typically. What's up with that?

(I always find biblican or ethical reasons for not eating meat confusing. I'm really looking for clarification)

I actually like many of the meat substitution products. Boca makes a good sausage like product that is great in Lasagna. Also their hamburger type product is wonderful in chili. I add it for the texture more than anything else but no one has even noticed. You might consider this as well for a dinner option.

I'd agree with Z and others that said not to alter your menu, just supliment. I've known several vegimatics. I've asked about food preferences prior to cooking for them, but nearly every one has given me their preferences, and asked that I still prepare what I normally would as well so the entire group is not forced to eat as they do. Most offer to bring a dish but I acutally enjoy the challenge to find a fun recipe that works for everyone, or great side dishes that are more imaginable than extra salad

Return to Top
#196504 - 06/03/04 09:41 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I don't think we want to turn this into another religion uproar, but the Bible says that we are not to eat of "unclean" meats mostly refers to pork, however, any type of meat that has blood running through it is considered unclean.

As for veggie meats - I have begun calling them my fake meat!!! These meats are made with soy protein!

I totally agree with not eating unclean meat! If it hits the floor, I make sure to rinse it off and make sure it's clean before I cook it!

Return to Top
#196505 - 06/03/04 09:47 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
You cook your meat?

Return to Top
#196506 - 06/03/04 09:50 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
oh Michael!!!

Return to Top
#196507 - 06/03/04 09:52 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
....you too, Z!!!

Return to Top
#196508 - 06/03/04 09:54 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Thanks everybody. It has been kind of a stessful day but after reading this and laughing out loud, I feel much better. Has any one ever thought of forming a BOL comedy Club?

Return to Top
#196509 - 06/03/04 09:58 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Molly Moo's missing from the pasture. z?

Return to Top
#196510 - 06/03/04 10:01 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
I haven't been able to pop in on BOL for a few days and while checkin' it out just now, I saw this thread. I opened it simply on curiosity. Thankfully everyone else in the office had just gone home because I could not stop laughing out loud!!!!!!! (making the rice in the shape of a face was one of the best)

Return to Top
#196511 - 06/03/04 10:05 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
I agree!! You need to take your act on "the road"! This has turned out to be hysterically funny! I have been laughing out loud all day! You Bol'ers are great! You have turned my stress into sure delight. I assure you that keeping a straight face on Sunday is going to be a challenge.

I can't say it enough, THANK-YOU!

Return to Top
#196512 - 06/03/04 10:06 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Well, let me rush in where angels dare to go and see if I can tackle this one for the benefit of my Queen:

The Old Testament dietary restrictions were given to the Hebrews primarily for their protection against diseases and setting them apart from the non-Hebrews in the land. The New Testament does not reiterate, nay, in fact, negates the dietary restrictions of the Old Testament, since the reasons for the restrictions no longer were needed. Remember the dream that Peter had that believers were to eat whatever with thanksgiving ? Paul had to scold him when he backslid on the teaching of the dream, but he eventually got it right. Now, what's for dinner, hopefully something that has a face. Even if it has gills and legs and can survive in fresh or salt water !

Return to Top
#196513 - 06/03/04 10:06 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Wyogirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Wyogirl
Laramie, WY. USA
DO YOU REALLY WANT MY OPINION? Just kidding, I just couldn't resist. I could help, but sometimes I see faces in my veggies.....that's why I eat MEAT!

Return to Top
#196514 - 06/03/04 10:19 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
She will not eat food that once had a face so serve her this:

PIG ROAST ON A SPIT

Whole suckling pig (60 lb. average)
1 lb. black pepper
25 to 30 garlic cloves
Garlic powder
Rosemary
Salt
10 pounds onions
5 lbs. stuffing
3 to 4 c. shortening
4 ft. chicken wire
Meat thermometer
Needle and string
Chopped apples and walnuts (optional)
Clean pig and dry. Cut slits in skin and insert garlic cloves. Coat with shortening. Prepare stuffing and combine with cut up onions. Add apples and walnuts to stuffing, if desired. Pack cavity with stuffing and stitch closed. Wrap pig in chicken wire lengthwise. Coat with garlic powder, rosemary, and salt, and pepper. Insert spit and cook 3 to 5 feet above a bed of coals 6 to 7 hours, turning frequently. Add seasoning often. Meat is done when skin shows deep splits and internal temperature is 160 to 170 degrees. Unwrap wire (which will bring most fat and skin with it) and serve.

Optional: Pig may also be roasted in covered pit, turning every hour. Keep spit about 2 to 3 feet above coals.

Return to Top
#196515 - 06/03/04 10:23 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
well, you've got my mouth watering.............

Return to Top
#196516 - 06/03/04 10:24 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
There's a cowboy poet/comic named Baxter Black who does a bit about the more 'militant' vegetarians. His take is that vegetables can feel pain, too. He has you ROFL talking about carrots screaming when you pull them out of the ground, and tomatoes crying when you slice them. It's hilarious!

Return to Top
#196517 - 06/03/04 10:28 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
after all of today's posts, it might be worth the time to hunt down this Baxter Black's screaming vegetables poem/song. What a way to end the day!

Return to Top
#196518 - 06/04/04 12:43 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Pssst... Verbeek... If she eats eggs, don't tell her that they are really boneless little chickens...

Return to Top
#196519 - 06/04/04 01:42 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I agree!! You need to take your act on "the road"! This has turned out to be hysterically funny! I have been laughing out loud all day! You Bol'ers are great! You have turned my stress into sure delight. I assure you that keeping a straight face on Sunday is going to be a challenge.

I can't say it enough, THANK-YOU!

Actually, if I wasn't going to work as an underpayed, overworked wage slave in front of a computer doing compliance consulting, I would be a stand up comedian!

Return to Top
#196520 - 06/04/04 03:05 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Quote:

after all of today's posts, it might be worth the time to hunt down this Baxter Black's screaming vegetables poem/song. What a way to end the day!

Finally found it! I looked yesterday, but didn't have any luck. This one is a little different than the one I heard him recite, but it's still pretty funny.

Return to Top
#196521 - 06/04/04 03:16 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Pssst... Verbeek... If she eats eggs, don't tell her that they are really boneless little chickens...

LOL and if she drinks milk or eats dairy products, don't tell her a baby cow is starving in a little box waiting to be veal because she wants it's food!

Return to Top
#196522 - 06/04/04 04:01 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Had to chime in. There's a brief but funny scene in Notting Hill where he's dating a number of different girls after loosing Julia. One is a even more than vegan. She won't eat anything that is pulled from the ground (who knew carrots could cry?!) or a tree. She'll only eat things that fall on the ground. Be thankful you're not out looking for nuts the squirrels missed to feed your son's gf!

Return to Top
#196523 - 06/04/04 04:08 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
You all are hysterical!! Lestie, the poem was perfect! But, I have found out some disturbing information (at least for a mother)...... she's older and she is an attorney! Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with her being an attorney, but my son is only 23, a young 23 at that, and struggled just to get out of high school! He's very good looking and very athletic and I am a little concerned about her being a "dragon-lady". My husband says to wait, don't pass judgment until we meet her, but my son told me last night that she has starting talking about marriage and wants him to be a stay-at-home husband to take care of the kids. The kids?!!! I am afraid that by Sunday I may find myself fighting the urge to slip a little castor oil on her 'face-less'food.

Return to Top
#196524 - 06/04/04 04:12 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
I just saw that the bar was open! Believe me, I think that I need a dozen of what ever is being served!

Return to Top
#196525 - 06/04/04 04:31 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I would more concerned that she is an attorney!

Return to Top
#196526 - 06/04/04 04:54 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

You all are hysterical!! Lestie, the poem was perfect! But, I have found out some disturbing information (at least for a mother)...... she's older and she is an attorney! Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with her being an attorney, but my son is only 23, a young 23 at that, and struggled just to get out of high school! He's very good looking and very athletic and I am a little concerned about her being a "dragon-lady". My husband says to wait, don't pass judgment until we meet her, but my son told me last night that she has starting talking about marriage and wants him to be a stay-at-home husband to take care of the kids. The kids?!!! I am afraid that by Sunday I may find myself fighting the urge to slip a little castor oil on her 'face-less'food.

I think you need to have a drink and relax. Let's just recap.

Your son has hooked an older woman who may want to marry him and have a family with him. I see no problem with this, assuming he is in agreement and they love one another.

The older woman is well employed, and has enough money that she is willing to let him stay at home with the children while she brings home the bacon. I think it's a bit sexist to think that it can be ok for the mother to stay at home but not the father. If he's willing, it's a great deal. I'd LOVE to marry a woman who made enough money to support me while I raised our children at home, but then again, my priorities in life are Family, God, Friends, and then career. Most of my simple pleasures in life revolve around my nephew and my niece, and I'm looking forward to having children of my own. To be told that when I had them I could stay home and spend my days raising them would be a true blessing for me if finances weren't an issue. I think you should evaluate why the idea of this relationship. Perhaps it is simply a bit of old fashioned ideals you have?

An Attorney? Now this would worry me a little. But lets face it, she won't ever be unemployed, and as much as attorneys have a bad name, get to know her as a person, not as an attorney before you pass judgement. It could be that she is a very nice person who genuinely cares about your son, and wants to make him happy. If you are concerned about him being to young for marriage, talk to him about it, but don't put the blame on her already.

Don't forget, your son is "an adult" now, and he will make choices on his own. Some will be bad, and some will be good, but they will be his choices. Unless he's still living at home, you really can't control him any more, and even if he is, fighting him on this could be the worst thing you could do. If, once you meet her, she leaves a bad taste in your mouth(hopefully it wasn't that you shared the castor oil laced dish), talk to your son about it calmly, and discuss what marriage means. Explain to him that despite the shocking numbers of divorces in the US, marriage is supposed to be forever. Ask him if he wants to be a stay at home father, or if he has a career he really wants to pursue. Ask him what it is about her that makes him want to be with her. Without fighting, your goal is to get him to really think about what he is doing. If it's not right, he will know.

By the way, if he decides she's crazy and he's not ready for this, let me know, I'm currently seeking a Sugar-mommy!

Return to Top
#196527 - 06/04/04 05:13 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
(growl)

No he doesn't live at home and no, I can't control him, and yes, I think a drink (and a nap) might be in order.

Thank-you for the advice.

Return to Top
#196528 - 06/04/04 05:16 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

(growl)

No he doesn't live at home and no, I can't control him, and yes, I think a drink (and a nap) might be in order.

Thank-you for the advice.

Just remember the most important thing I said.... If it doesn't work out, I'm still in the market for a Sugar-mommy!

Don't stress about it, things have a way of working themselves out!

Return to Top
#196529 - 06/04/04 05:17 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Hey, seriously, lets quit attorney bashing pretty please? I work with two very fine individuals who are both attorneys and am friends with many more. What is wrong with an educated woman with a career in law?

Focus on the age perhaps (what is the difference...older could be 1 year or 40) but her being an attorney is something to be proud of not worried about.

Return to Top
#196530 - 06/04/04 05:20 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Focus on the age perhaps (what is the difference...older could be 1 year or 40) but her being an attorney is something to be proud of not worried about.

Geez Dawnie, I thought you knew me better than that... we were kidding!

And as far as age goes, my fiance is 9 years older than me. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Return to Top
#196531 - 06/04/04 05:22 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Well I knew you were kidding goofball But some of those comments were more serious. I felt like running in and hugging my attorney's today after reading them

Return to Top
#196532 - 06/04/04 05:30 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Well I knew you were kidding goofball But some of those comments were more serious. I felt like running in and hugging my attorney's today after reading them

Oh barf!

Return to Top
#196533 - 06/04/04 05:36 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Quote:

I totally agree with not eating unclean meat! If it hits the floor, I make sure to rinse it off and make sure it's clean before I cook it!

Why rinse it off? Ever heard of the 5 second rule?!

Return to Top
#196534 - 06/04/04 05:39 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Hey, seriously, lets quit attorney bashing pretty please?

Sorry if I offended Dawnie, I'm just good at that! Seriously I know a couple of attorneys who are great people. The only thing that would worry me about her being an attorney, and I should have clarified but I'd been typing way too much already, was that some of them don't know when it's time to go home and work way too many hours....

Return to Top
#196535 - 06/07/04 04:15 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
If you decide to really make an effort, consider serving a Gardenburger or, the best - a Boca Burger. Also, Lightlife's Gimme Lean comes in both ground beef and sausage flavors, can be fashioned into meatballs and the like. There's also Lightlife's line of veggie dogs, including the original Tofu Pups.

Boca Breakfast Patties and Links nicely replace breakfast sausage. Morningstar Farms' similar products probably taste a little more meat-like but don't boast such natural ingredients. There's also Yves Breakfast Links and Lightlife LeanLinks. Morningstar Farms makes bacon-like breakfast strips as well.

For sandwiches, try using Yves Veggie Slices, pepperoni, or Canadian bacon. Or check out Lightlife Smart Deli Slices, available in ham, bologna, turkey, and pepperoni flavors.

These items are now available at most major supermarkets or at specialty food stores, such as Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

If she is a Vegetarian, versus a Vegan, there is pizza and a host of other products out there that don't have dead body parts as an ingredient.

She could have said, "I don't eat anything that tries to get away!" With that said, most Vegetarian's have a live and let live attitude when it comes to sharing a meal with non-vegetarians with no put downs on either side - just a fun time.

Return to Top
#196536 - 06/07/04 04:19 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hey Verbeek, give us an update!

Return to Top
#196537 - 06/07/04 04:49 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

She could have said, "I don't eat anything that tries to get away!"

Yes, but cows are pretty stupid and don't try to get away usually.

Return to Top
#196538 - 06/07/04 05:04 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Thank-you for asking. Unfortunately it turned out to be somewhat disasterous, so-to -speak. First, my son called Saturday and told us that she would not be able to attend dinner on Sunday. So I thought, Whew! On Sunday at 5:15 p.m. my son calls and says that he has just turned on our block and, and oh by the way, he has his girlfriend with him, and what's for dinner?! Anyway, as he was walking in with his girlfriend, my husband was arrivng home after picking up my daughter from work. I went into the kitchen acting as if I had everything under control, and all of a sudden, my daughter starts screaming hysterically fron her bedroom. Well we all rush in there, and her pet rat, Nicodemus is lying feet up, stiff as a board. Well, if any of you had read the Rainbow Bridge in the "Couch" you will understand her hysterics. So, I took her out of her room and tried to consol her while her dad took Nicodemus out of his cage to prepare him for internment and subsequent burial. In all the confusion, my son and his girlfriend slipped out and went to Baja Fresh (a fresh Mexican food place)and brought home dinner. Unfortunately, I did not get to spend too much time with my son and his girlfriend, but she seemed very nice, down-to-earth. She looked to be in her late twenties and is a corporate attorney for a very large, well known television station and entertainment company. Anyway, she appeared to be very in-tune with my son. We invited the two of them back over next Sunday for dinner.
Again, thanks for remembering and all the help everyone offered.
Verbeek

Return to Top
#196539 - 06/07/04 05:06 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
She could have said, "I don't eat anything that tries to get away!"

Yes, but cows are pretty stupid and don't try to get away usually.

Actually, not true - at the very end - they do try to get away. Besides, it's not stupidity, as cow's can learn stuff, it's trust.

Return to Top
#196540 - 06/07/04 05:14 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Thank-you for asking. Unfortunately it turned out to be somewhat disasterous, so-to -speak. First, my son called Saturday and told us that she would not be able to attend dinner on Sunday. So I thought, Whew! On Sunday at 5:15 p.m. my son calls and says that he has just turned on our block and, and oh by the way, he has his girlfriend with him, and what's for dinner?! Anyway, as he was walking in with his girlfriend, my husband was arrivng home after picking up my daughter from work. I went into the kitchen acting as if I had everything under control, and all of a sudden, my daughter starts screaming hysterically fron her bedroom. Well we all rush in there, and her pet rat, Nicodemus is lying feet up, stiff as a board. Well, if any of you had read the Rainbow Bridge in the "Couch" you will understand her hysterics. So, I took her out of her room and tried to consol her while her dad took Nicodemus out of his cage to prepare him for internment and subsequent burial. In all the confusion, my son and his girlfriend slipped out and went to Baja Fresh (a fresh Mexican food place)and brought home dinner. Unfortunately, I did not get to spend too much time with my son and his girlfriend, but she seemed very nice, down-to-earth. She looked to be in her late twenties and is a corporate attorney for a very large, well known television station and entertainment company. Anyway, she appeared to be very in-tune with my son. We invited the two of them back over next Sunday for dinner.
Verbeek

At least you have another whole week to figure out what "faceless" food you can create in the shape of a face!

Knowing she apparently likes Mexican food, you could do a spanish rice and stir fry up some peppers, onions, etc. and make vegie fajitas! They are pretty easy and yummy!

Return to Top
#196541 - 06/07/04 05:20 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Verbeek

Sounds like quite a day... I am glad she isn't 40 or 50...

Return to Top
#196542 - 06/07/04 10:32 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"........... *DELETED*
Runin' Reb Offline
100 Club
Runin' Reb
West Coast
Post deleted by Runin' Reb

Return to Top
#196543 - 06/07/04 10:35 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Runin' Reb Offline
100 Club
Runin' Reb
West Coast
oops, sorry, I guess I should click on "open all" before I ask questions....

Return to Top
#196544 - 06/08/04 08:37 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Anonymous
Unregistered

At least you have another whole week to figure out what "faceless" food you can create in the shape of a face!

Try spinach dip in an animal bread "bowl" I do turkeys for Thanksgiving, reindeer for Christmas etc... could be humerous

Return to Top
#196545 - 06/09/04 09:20 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Animal bread bowl"? Not familiar with the term. Carve little pictures into the crust???

Return to Top
#196546 - 06/09/04 09:29 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought they may be describing something like the sourdough bread bowwls they serve clam chowder with some decorative (seasonal) additions.

Return to Top
#196547 - 06/14/04 01:43 AM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face".......
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Whew, sounds like quite an experience, and as Michael said,
Quote:

Don't stress about it, things have a way of working themselves out!

Return to Top
#196548 - 06/14/04 01:04 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Live things? I don't eat cows while they're still alive, but I do eat celeries that are still breathing.

Carrots are people too.

By the way, I only eat free-range potatoes.

Return to Top
#196549 - 01/20/05 07:10 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Visa D'Kline Offline
Oklahoma
<<Vegetarian> When I mention it, the common response is "Vegetarian" is the word Native American's used for "Bad Hunter"
It brings a chuckle to the meat eaters around me.

Return to Top
#196550 - 01/20/05 07:36 PM Re: ....."She eats nothing that had a face"...........
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I saw a bumper sticker the other day:

Save a cow,
Eat a vegetarian.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4