Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1965007 - 09/26/14 03:17 PM online account opening
INOH Offline
Gold Star
Northeast
We are doing research regarding online account opening and would like to know what other banks are doing in order to CIP a customer.

I've heard of pulling a credit report and then asking questions regarding the credit history.

What about BSA? don't we need to have copies of the ID and social security card?

help!

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1965087 - 09/26/14 05:06 PM Re: online account opening INOH
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I don't believe that the actual social security card is necessary unless your procedures call for it. Most of the online account opening systems I have seen either allow the facility of submitting a scanned copy of your photo id, or faxing a copy of it to a certain number. The system also asks 'out of wallet' questions based on a 'soft pull' (whatever that is) of your credit report.

Return to Top
#1965140 - 09/26/14 06:35 PM Re: online account opening INOH
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
What Doug said. Our system does the CIP portion for us based upon similar questions. But what it wont allow us to do are ask the CDD questions the OCC is requiring. We are asking them via email.
Last edited by RR Jen; 09/26/14 08:57 PM. Reason: I mistyped...it's CDD questions not EDD but close enough in my book

Return to Top
#1965154 - 09/26/14 07:05 PM Re: online account opening INOH
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
But what it wont allow us to do are ask the EDD questions the OCC is requiring.

On consumer accounts?? Why? What specific questions are they "requiring" you to ask??

Return to Top
#1965209 - 09/26/14 08:57 PM Re: online account opening INOH
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Sorry...CDD, not EDD. But they didn't outline the questions just insisted that we gather much more data on consumers than name, ID, DOB, chexsystems, address, etc. We now ask 5 questions along the lines of:

will you be making international wires?
will you be making more than $5000 in cash deposits/withdrawals

Return to Top
#1965217 - 09/26/14 09:22 PM Re: online account opening RR Jen
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I'm with RLCarey. We do NOT perform CDD/EDD on consumer accounts until we've had some transactional experience with them. We are examined by FDIC and this has never been a problem.

Even some of the businesees say they're going to do certain transactions just in case they want to in the future. While I may risk rate them a bit higher than others, if those transactions don't arise, why carry them as high-risk?

Return to Top
#1965238 - 09/26/14 09:51 PM Re: online account opening INOH
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
It became a BIG issue with the OCC in January.

Return to Top
#1965242 - 09/26/14 10:02 PM Re: online account opening INOH
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Seems to me that should re-read Appendix K(?) of the exam manual where they have the chart of customer risk versus due diligence and suspicious activity monitoring.

Resident Consumer Accounts are at the low end, have a basic profile and a generic threshhold monitoring. If you then find that they are actually using higher-risk products (wires, ACH origination), then you can start CDD.

Return to Top
#1965255 - 09/26/14 11:10 PM Re: online account opening INOH
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The OCC is relentless on this topic.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1965262 - 09/27/14 02:02 AM Re: online account opening INOH
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
And the OCC, unless challenged, will back banks into corners in which they will never emerge.

Don't stand for it for a minute. I have never seen an OCC bank that has actually pushed back get backed into such a corner.

Push this stuff up the line and call the ombudsman. The OCC field examiners are notorious for these types of demands that never make it into the ROE and they are actually all one examiner's opinion.

Some of these requirements represent considerable costs to the bank.

Return to Top
#1965307 - 09/29/14 01:59 PM Re: online account opening INOH
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I did not push this issue that hard. When I attended the western outreach conference in Omaha, before receiving our final exam report, the lead OCC compliance examiner for the district indicated this was expected throughout their area. The majority of the banks in the room had already implemented similar questions in the consumer account opening process.

Return to Top
#1965384 - 09/29/14 04:50 PM Re: online account opening INOH
INOH Offline
Gold Star
Northeast
who are the vendors you guys are using for online account opening?

Return to Top
#1965385 - 09/29/14 04:51 PM Re: online account opening INOH
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
We use Bankvue's INMO...they have partnered with WK for disclosures.

http://www.bancvue.com/online-marketing/inmo.html

Return to Top
#1965392 - 09/29/14 04:59 PM Re: online account opening INOH
INOH Offline
Gold Star
Northeast
Our policy requires to obtain a copy of the DL plus one additional piece of ID such as their social security card.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the verification through non documentary methods mentioned on the BSA manual... does it mean we can do online account opening without obtaining the copies of their ID's as long as we verify the information provided by the customer through a credit report, public database, or other source?

if we did that for online account opening, wouldn't we have to change our policy and do the same for accounts opened in person?

Return to Top
#1965402 - 09/29/14 05:24 PM Re: online account opening INOH
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
We created a slightly different procedure for online account opening versus in person to accommodate for this.

We do not get a copy of the ID when opening the account online, but we notate the account and try to get a copy the first time they come into a branch.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z