Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1965840 - 09/30/14 08:41 PM subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
so i'm in the pre-planning stages of a car purchase, which will take place around April 2015 (yes, i plan far ahead). I've narrowed my choices to:

Honda CR-V (current vehicle)
VW Passat Diesel (high mileage)
Subaru Legacy (had Sub's before and they hold up well)

I like the CR-V as it lets me tote my bike without using the bike rack, but at 29 MPG combined, not the best on mileage. I've had a jetta diesel so no issues with the passat, just more room. i like the way the legacy looks, but both the legacy and passat leave me lugging the bike via rack anywhere i go. anyone currently have one and care to chime in?

(oh, and I can get teh honda and subaru at cost, as both dealers are personal friends)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1965845 - 09/30/14 08:56 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I would get an American car in 5 years after the all of the recalls you end up with all new parts in your 5 year old car.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1965848 - 09/30/14 09:03 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
hmmm...hadn't thought of that...haven't had an american branded car since 1985...

Return to Top
#1965852 - 09/30/14 09:10 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
I would get the new Toyota as it has a cool feature that accelerates the car for you. Well that was before the recall. Recalls ruin all the fun.

Return to Top
#1965855 - 09/30/14 09:16 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
We've had a couple of Subbies and they are as tough as a tank and will go about anywhere. My personal favorite is the Impreza WRX STI, but it really has nothing to do with praticality, its bloody damned fast. smile
However our current Subaru is the Outback and it has a ton of room and you can get a bike (2 actually) in the back. I have another friend with a Crosstrek and she loves it!

Return to Top
#1965863 - 09/30/14 09:22 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1965868 - 09/30/14 09:27 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
I suffer from advanced "Leadfootitis". I do not believe that the Hellcat would solve my issue.

Return to Top
#1965871 - 09/30/14 09:27 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? Bankbb1, PITA
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
We've had a couple of Subbies and they are as tough as a tank and will go about anywhere. My personal favorite is the Impreza WRX STI, but it really has nothing to do with praticality, its bloody damned fast. smile
However our current Subaru is the Outback and it has a ton of room and you can get a bike (2 actually) in the back. I have another friend with a Crosstrek and she loves it!

In the process of buying the wife an Outback - having to order it. Don't have it yet but she absolutely loves it, for whatever that's worth. grin

Return to Top
#1965874 - 09/30/14 09:32 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? Bobby Boucher
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

In the process of buying the wife an Outback - having to order it. Don't have it yet but she absolutely loves it, for whatever that's worth. grin

For those wishing to buy an Outback

http://www.franchise.org//Outback_Steakhouse_International_LP_franchise.aspx

CAMS

Return to Top
#1965883 - 09/30/14 09:37 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? edAudit
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: edAudit
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

For those wishing to buy an Outback

http://www.franchise.org//Outback_Steakhouse_International_LP_franchise.aspx

Useful, but not interchangable.

Return to Top
#1965908 - 09/30/14 10:50 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
CRV. The others are icky.

Return to Top
#1965936 - 10/01/14 12:56 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? Bankbb1, PITA
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

i've done some reading on the WRX...it is faster than a porsche carrera, both off the line and top speed. pretty sure my license and insurance can't afford the tickets i'd rack up with that.

Return to Top
#1965942 - 10/01/14 01:06 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
And the WRX is also the most ticketed car, so you are right on that, Happy!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/30/vehicles-us-most-tickets/16490255/

Return to Top
#1965947 - 10/01/14 01:10 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
i read the list, and with the exception of the Infiniti QX56, i think the raeason could be attributed to the other 19 cars being sought after by younger drivers, who haven't yet learned that tickets cost money on insurance (and won't learn that until Daddy makes them pay their own).

Return to Top
#1965978 - 10/01/14 01:41 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Hard choice - both are great

Passat is improving with reliability but has its share of past problems. great mileage and engineering. (Passat was referred to as almost an Audi)

I love Subaru's - the only thing stopping me is there is no need in SC for a 4WD with the extra parts/weight. My brother has one and loves it - one problem - he had a tire blow out with about 10,000 miles wear. He had to replace all 4 tires because it is a constant 4WD and the diameter difference from the wear would put a huge strain on the differential.

Return to Top
#1966036 - 10/01/14 02:50 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
German engineering!

Return to Top
#1966066 - 10/01/14 03:39 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
My daughter-in-law drives an Impreza and my son has a Forester. He is a car guy and loves Subarus.

Return to Top
#1966086 - 10/01/14 03:58 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
I have also started looking for a new car with super high standards like cheap, ok millage and not a deathtrap. wink

Return to Top
#1966099 - 10/01/14 04:14 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Sure was impressed with the BMW twin-turbo diesel wagon, some European-only model we experienced while on vacation. I'd like to know what model it was. I rode around in it a week never realizing it was only a 4-cylinder and diesel at that, only making the discovery when stopping in for fuel. Low-end, neck-snapping torque with effortless high-speed acceleration and cruising capabilities, coupled with what was obviously excellent fuel economy. It belonged to our host.

I could do diesel engines like that one. If the Passat even approached it in drive-ability and economy it'd be a winner.

Return to Top
#1966102 - 10/01/14 04:21 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? 80's Lady
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: 80's Lady

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/30/vehicles-us-most-tickets/16490255/

My car didnt even make the top 20? Thats disgraceful!! laugh

Return to Top
#1966126 - 10/01/14 04:52 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
I love my passat, it is a gas though. My family members have diesel VWs and all have had really good luck with them. I would have bought a diesel but the year I bought diesels were not available due to a fire at one of the VW plants. I would really like to have a diesel passat wagon.

Return to Top
#1966157 - 10/01/14 05:43 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? Bankbb1, PITA
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: 80's Lady

My car didnt even make the top 20? Thats disgraceful!! laugh

You don't drive a Mercury Topaz? wink

Return to Top
#1966159 - 10/01/14 05:47 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Suzuki Reno ???

has anyone passed by one of theses or should I try the running thread?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1966167 - 10/01/14 05:51 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? HappyGilmore
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Suzuki and Porsche should collaborate on a Reno 911. wink

Return to Top
#1966168 - 10/01/14 05:52 PM Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? GuitarDude
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude