Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1970563 - 10/20/14 05:38 PM SAR or not?
Kwaldie75 Offline
New Poster
A customer applied for a mortagage and told our lender that his lawyer told him to take as much equity out of his property to try and "hide" assets so he would qualify for medicaid. We won't be doing the loan but does this warrant a SAR?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1970633 - 10/20/14 08:39 PM Re: SAR or not? Kwaldie75
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
It sounds like loan fraud to me. I would file.

Return to Top
#1970645 - 10/20/14 09:00 PM Re: SAR or not? Kwaldie75
Kwaldie75 Offline
New Poster
Is it fraud, or is he just misunderstanding what his lawyer said. I can't imagine his lawyer instructing him to commit mortgage fraud. But maybe he was???

Return to Top
#1970653 - 10/20/14 09:12 PM Re: SAR or not? Kwaldie75
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
I would not classify it as loan fraud based upon the post but we have filed SARs for hiding assets for receiving government benefits. Unfortunately we haven't received any requests for supporting docs so we don't have any feedback on the SARs.

Return to Top
#1970684 - 10/20/14 11:01 PM Re: SAR or not? Kwaldie75
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: Kwaldie75
Is it fraud, or is he just misunderstanding what his lawyer said. I can't imagine his lawyer instructing him to commit mortgage fraud. But maybe he was???

Did his counsel probably state "In order to hide assets, you should consider fraud."? Probably not. But my understanding is that submitting a false/fraudulent loan application is MLF and requires a SAR.

Return to Top
#1970692 - 10/21/14 12:27 AM Re: SAR or not? Kwaldie75
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Did the attorney say to borrow because debt reduces equity? That is also a common strategy on student loans, recommended to many. Are you reporting those as well? Where is the fraud? They must pay the $ back.

I am not necessarily thrilled with it, but the debt is legitimate.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1970705 - 10/21/14 12:38 PM Re: SAR or not? Kwaldie75
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...

i've heard many a customer state an attorney told them to hide assets, put cash in safe deposit boxes, put accounts in kids names, hoard cash, make deposits under $10,000 so it doesn't get reported...

Return to Top
#1970824 - 10/21/14 05:08 PM Re: SAR or not? Kwaldie75
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I can't imagine his lawyer instructing him to commit mortgage fraud.

Oh, I can. smirk Not in those words, but I've definitely heard of people 'advising' those who are approaching a certain age to start divesting themselves of traceable assets to qualify for government assistance.

Return to Top
#1970837 - 10/21/14 05:38 PM Re: SAR or not? Kwaldie75
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
The original post asked about a SAR for mortgage fraud and nothing that has been stated indicates that loan fraud might be occurring. Public assistance fraud/hiding asssets is another story.

Return to Top
#1970908 - 10/21/14 07:30 PM Re: SAR or not? devsfan
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: devsfan
The original post asked about a SAR for mortgage fraud and nothing that has been stated indicates that loan fraud might be occurring. Public assistance fraud/hiding asssets is another story.

I read the OP as a Customer applied for a loan and the loan application contained a fraudulent or inaccurate statement regarding the purpose of the loan. Subsequent discussions with the customer revealed that the customer suggested that they were trying to hide assets to qualify for medicaid. If this understanding is accurate, I stand by my original comments.

If I'm mistaken in my understanding of the events, then a perhaps a SAR is not justified.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z