Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36
Thread Options
#1971268 - 10/22/14 08:47 PM Re: College Football Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man

So you'd be thrilled if, instead of a salary, your company instead offered you tuition? And agreed wtih every other company in the industry to only offer the same?

if my company paid all my expenses for a set period (food, meals, doctor, transportation, housing, clothing) - heck yeah, sign me up! I would have loved that when I was 19, a full time student and a full time night shift sorter operator! And i wouldn't be concerned with what every other company was doing, i'd be looking for the one that was the best fit for me...and that when that set time was over, am i now more marketable in my field, which is what leads to the opportunity to make much more.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1971269 - 10/22/14 08:47 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
You're looking at the athletes as kids who haven't done nothing and are beign given an opportunity. I see them (or at least some of them) as having a skill that greatly contributes to a multi-billion dollar industry. Now, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I'm saying let the free market decide where.

my pay is not limited by an agreement between all the institutions in my industry. Again--an individual school can decide what they want to pay a player, if anything at all. My issue is when they all get together and agree to limit what they offer collectively.

Return to Top
#1971300 - 10/22/14 10:05 PM Re: College Football Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic

You are right, they are not the same, but what is the point you are trying to advance? If you are going to make some profound statement, do something with it Sherlock.

My point is that the NFL shouldn't care if players take money in college from boosters.

Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic

I hope your team has the most money. If not, your team will be the loser year in and year out. Paying players is the worst idea ESPN has advocated since taking the side of an entire conference. Good luck trying to get players to come to your school.

Teams with the most money are already at a huge advantage--check out Oregons facilities. Or the coaches salaries.

And even if it does hurt parity--so what? Isn't that just capitalism and the free market at work?

I bet there are tons of small credit unions that can't afford your salary. Should you be under a salry cap so that they can compete?

This seems to disagree: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45el/auburn-university-tigers/

Of the top ten most valuable programs, 4 are not in the top 25. OF the next ten, 4 more are not in. But if they were allowed to pay for the quality of their players. Good by parity.

Return to Top
#1971301 - 10/22/14 10:06 PM Re: College Football Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
it doesn't matter. I'm sure Wells fargo and Bank of America and Chase would love to voluntarily join an organization that limited employee pay.

Except they are not employees. Good try though.

Return to Top
#1971303 - 10/22/14 10:07 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I missed this and came back to the forum to see what was written. Stupendous Man, I commend you for not having an argument and trying to make one up on the go. The problem is, you have shown your hand. I would go back and reconsider the ramifications of your argument before taking such a hard stance. Please note, listening to sports prognosticators argue the merits of a system is like listening to Debbie Wasserman Schultz (SP?) regarding an election cycle. You might want to try to find better sources for an argument. Those guys are journalists, not critical thinkers.

Return to Top
#1971319 - 10/23/14 03:44 AM Re: College Football waldensouth
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
When you say all these passive aggressive things, you're not being the person Mr. Rogers believed you could be.
Last edited by Stupendous Man; 10/23/14 03:48 AM.
Return to Top
#1971421 - 10/23/14 03:51 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
You're looking at the athletes as kids who haven't done nothing and are beign given an opportunity. I see them (or at least some of them) as having a skill that greatly contributes to a multi-billion dollar industry. Now, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I'm saying let the free market decide where.

my pay is not limited by an agreement between all the institutions in my industry. Again--an individual school can decide what they want to pay a player, if anything at all. My issue is when they all get together and agree to limit what they offer collectively.

I'm interested to hear your take on internships and medical residencies.

As to free market concerns specific to college football, what do you see that's out of whack in terms of supply and demand?

Return to Top
#1971527 - 10/23/14 06:45 PM Re: College Football Bobby Boucher
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

So you'd be thrilled if, instead of a salary, your company instead offered you tuition? And agreed wtih every other company in the industry to only offer the same?

if my company paid all my expenses for a set period (food, meals, doctor, transportation, housing, clothing) - heck yeah, sign me up! I would have loved that when I was 19, a full time student and a full time night shift sorter operator! And i wouldn't be concerned with what every other company was doing, i'd be looking for the one that was the best fit for me...and that when that set time was over, am i now more marketable in my field, which is what leads to the opportunity to make much more.

YOU didn't have a skill worth millions at that age. You would have loved that deal because no one was offering more. And that's the evidence that, despite what you say about the value of their education, these guys are not making "enough". Because boosters are falling over themselves to give them money for their services. it's not "enough" because there are other people offering MORE.

It isn't stolen money. It isn't being paid to throw games. It's money to perform their skill. It's being offered and they aren't allowed to take it because of shady cartel rules.

And why does it matter that you would have taken it when you were 19? Would you take it now ? So why do these athletes, who obviously have some monetary value to offer, have to follow your schedule? Yes, YOU (and me) would have loved that offer when we were 19, but, like it or not, these guys have exponentially more economic value than we did.

Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

As to free market concerns specific to college football, what do you see that's out of whack in terms of supply and demand?

The demand for the athletes supply of football skill is artificially capped by collusion between the colleges.

If tuition and room and board were truly fair compensation for what they bring, then the schools woulnd't NEED a rule. No one would offer to pay the players if they weren’t providing something in return.

Return to Top
#1971534 - 10/23/14 06:54 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
here is a list of 100 guys who would be paid an awful lot but Happy would may have had a greater economic worth at 19.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=schoenfield/060427

CAMS

Return to Top
#1971567 - 10/23/14 07:35 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
If tuition and room and board were truly fair compensation for what they bring, then the schools woulnd't NEED a rule. No one would offer to pay the players if they weren’t providing something in return.

We've already established that both parties exchange value in this relationship. If that value is truly NOT fair compensation from the athletes' perspective, shouldn't there be a shortage of athletes wanting to sign up for the deal? No one would sign up to play if they weren't receiving adequate compensation in return.

You didn't want to take a swing at internships and residencies?

Return to Top
#1971571 - 10/23/14 07:39 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
College football is pretty much the only game in town if you're 18, 19, 20 years old and have the talent and desire to play football (you can't go to the NFL). Since they don't boycott college football, they must be receiving a fair 'wage'?

For the record, i'm not totally sure how i feel about this subject, but i do think Stupendous Man makes some good points.

Return to Top
#1971585 - 10/23/14 07:47 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
well the skill is not easily translated to other areas. And there's a lot of under the table stuff going on.

You didn't want to take a swing at internships and residencies?

Not really, because i'm already repeating myself, but i'll do a quick version for you. Those are differenct because not every company in that industry has agreed to force everyone to go through that program unpaid. So, if some hospital or fortune 500 company just really like a kid (a "prospect" so to speak) they COULD offer them extra $$ to recruit them.

The current or future amount of compensation (and even the form) is not the issue. The issue is the collusion between everyone in the same industry that prevents other offers from even being able to be considered.

I'm really surprised at the reaction to this here. Because most of you guys are usually right wing conservative types. Well, i'm advocating the free market here. 100% capitalism.

Return to Top
#1971586 - 10/23/14 07:49 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
And why does it matter that you would have taken it when you were 19? Would you take it now ? So why do these athletes, who obviously have some monetary value to offer, have to follow your schedule? Yes, YOU (and me) would have loved that offer when we were 19, but, like it or not, these guys have exponentially more economic value than we did.

actually, since the NFL does not allow you to enter the draft until you have been out of high school for 3 years, they have no economic value to offer, at least in professional sports. Now, if the NFL would say "sure, come on you 17 year old high school graduate" then it would be another matter completely.

Return to Top
#1971591 - 10/23/14 07:50 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
you dont think players offer any economic value to their college teams?

So, if there were no rule, you dont think any school would be willing to pay top recruits beyond tuition and room and board?

Return to Top
#1971594 - 10/23/14 07:53 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I suppose the bottom line comes down to this...

if you pay college athletes to play, then they become professionals. we already have a league for professional athletes.

or this...

The NCAA, the governing body for collegiate athletics, has a rule in place that says student athletes can't receive monetary compenation. student athletes know this going in. the penalties for violation of this is substantial.

Return to Top
#1971596 - 10/23/14 07:57 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I think the "professional" status thing is important as well, which is why the most i think i would be in favor of is a pretty modest stipend (maybe a few thousand dollars a year), with no ability to pay some players more and other players less. (I do realize that you would open the floodgates of "which athletes in which sports do you pay?", but there's really no question that college football players, and to a lesser degree, basketball players, contribute to millions, tens of millions, or even hundreds of millions of dollars being brought into their schools.)

Return to Top
#1971599 - 10/23/14 08:00 PM Re: College Football Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
you dont think players offer any economic value to their college teams?

So, if there were no rule, you dont think any school would be willing to pay top recruits beyond tuition and room and board?

As i have read only 2 colleges actually make enough in their athletic programs to receive no financial support from the school (LSU and Nebraska), I would say "correct, no ecomomic value unless at one of these 2 schools.

So, take away these sports and it would appear the school is doing better financially.

Return to Top
#1971602 - 10/23/14 08:03 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
That's the entire athletic programs though, right? Not just football programs or basketball programs. There's no doubt that the swimming, gymnastics, and lacrosse teams are a drain on their schools.

Return to Top
#1971605 - 10/23/14 08:12 PM Re: College Football Stupendous Man
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
force everyone to go through that program unpaid

Whoa, whoa, whoa...Who is getting forced to do anything? It's the same choice. I want to be a doctor, I choose to sign up for a term of ungodly hours at very low pay. I want to work on Wall Street but don't have the experience on my resume to get someone to start throwing money at me, I choose to take a job for little or no pay to beef up that resume. These are choices I make and I am aware of the terms - I would not make them if I did not perceive that I was getting adequate value in return. Who is getting forced to do something again?

Also, unpaid? I thought we were past that?

Return to Top
#1971607 - 10/23/14 08:17 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Your chance of becoming a doctor and making big bucks after attending medical school is a lot more of a sure thing than a college football player's chances of making it in the NFL though.....and in the meantime, he sees none of the millions of dollars that the school sees for the product that he helps put on the field.

Would you go to medical school if you knew your chances of making it as a doctor were 1% (or 2% or whatever the odds are of making the NFL)?

Return to Top
#1971611 - 10/23/14 08:20 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
It's gotta be less than 1%, now that i think about it.

Return to Top
#1971619 - 10/23/14 08:26 PM Re: College Football raitchjay
Peepers Offline
10K Club
sure, if you're name is Art Schlister

Return to Top
#1971620 - 10/23/14 08:27 PM Re: College Football Stupendous Man
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
force everyone to go through that program unpaid

Whoa, whoa, whoa...Who is getting forced to do anything? It's the same choice. I want to be a doctor, I choose to sign up for a term of ungodly hours at very low pay. I want to work on Wall Street but don't have the experience on my resume to get someone to start throwing money at me, I choose to take a job for little or no pay to beef up that resume. These are choices I make and I am aware of the terms - I would not make them if I did not perceive that I was getting adequate value in return. Who is getting forced to do something again?

Also, unpaid? I thought we were past that?

So, if some hospital or fortune 500 company just really like a kid (a "prospect" so to speak) they COULD offer them extra $$ to recruit them.

The current or future amount of compensation (and even the form) is not the issue. The issue is the collusion between everyone in the same industry that prevents other offers from even being able to be considered.

Return to Top
#1971628 - 10/23/14 08:38 PM Re: College Football raitchjay
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
If you are trying to suggest that the only reason anyone plays college football is to get to the NFL, and less than 1% of college players make it to the NFL, and playing college football is not worth it based on what they receive in exchange for what they give (assuming they don't make the NFL), then why the [censored] don't colleges have trouble filling their rosters?

Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Would you go to medical school if you knew your chances of making it as a doctor were 1% (or 2% or whatever the odds are of making the NFL)?

Would you play college football if you knew your chances of making it to the NFL were less than 1%, unless you were getting some other value from it that made it worthwhile to you?

Return to Top
#1971630 - 10/23/14 08:42 PM Re: College Football waldensouth
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
But since i'd play football for nothing, does that make it right that i MUST play for less than my market value? Guys play football because they love football. If a doctor loves being a doctor, that's great, but he still gets paid.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36