Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1974857 - 11/06/14 06:18 PM NMLS on modification of mtg?
shea930 Offline
Gold Star
If we are modifying a mortgage we currently have on piece of property and citing that mortgage on a new loan....do we need to include the NMLS# on the modification of mortgage we are recording?

Return to Top
S.A.F.E. Act Forum
#1978667 - 11/24/14 07:31 PM Re: NMLS on modification of mtg? shea930
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Yes.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1978913 - 11/25/14 03:18 PM Re: NMLS on modification of mtg? shea930
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I don't see anywhere that the NMLS number would be required on a modification agreement. I see no harm in doing so, however.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1979006 - 11/25/14 05:45 PM Re: NMLS on modification of mtg? shea930
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
If they are filing a modification of the deed, I would classify that as a security document, which is required to have the NMLS information listed. I know in our shop, deed modifications are listed in the security agreement on renewal notes along with the original deed filing related to the collateral property address.

Regardless, listing the NMLS information is 1--easy and 2--doesn't hurt you to list even if it's not required.

Personally, the SAFE Act and the Reg Z requirement to list the NMLS number on certain documents are 2 of the dumbest pieces of mortgage reform. Neither add any real value, and really only act as regulatory "gotcha" fodder. If you have to ask, just list the number and move on to something that can really hurt you, like RESPA tolerance violations and ATR/QM violations.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett