Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1978858 - 11/25/14 01:33 PM Rescission from Prison?
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
I got a good one. Wife applies to get an equity loan on her primary dwelling. Right of rescission applies. The husband is in prison. Is the house still the husband's primary dwelling giving him right to rescind or can we consider the prison his primary dwelling?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1978886 - 11/25/14 02:33 PM Re: Rescission from Prison? Carolina Blue
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Why would you even risk it if he has ownership in the property? Unless the husband is doing a life sentence without the possibility of parole the prison is a "temporary residence".

I can see it now, husband; "....bank lets my wife mortgage my home without my consent and bank forecloses. Now that I'm out on parole I have no place to live".

Return to Top
#1978956 - 11/25/14 04:19 PM Re: Rescission from Prison? Dan Persfull
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
Just curious cause I'm not sure of the logistics on how we get him to sign the ROR. He can sign the deed in advance but not the ROR, right? I'm hoping she has POA for him, but I don't know yet.

Return to Top
#1978961 - 11/25/14 04:21 PM Re: Rescission from Prison? Carolina Blue
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Well, unless you have a policy that calls for obtaining the consumer's signature acknowledging receipt of the Right to Cancel Notice, it's not needed. The regulation certainly does not require it.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1978993 - 11/25/14 05:16 PM Re: Rescission from Prison? Carolina Blue
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I agree with John concerning signatures are not required. But in this situation, since you must provide 2 copies of the rescission form to each consumer having the right to rescind, I would want some sort of documentation the husband received his copies.

Another issue to consider. If he drops the rescission form stating he wants to rescind in the prison mail on or before midnight of the 3rd business day and due to the prison mail processing it's not sent until day 5, where does not leave you? Did he rescind in time or didn't he? As you said hopefully she has a valid POA.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z