Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1982277 - 12/10/14 07:54 PM Escrow Account Balance?
gms2013 Offline
KY
This question has several different factors. First the account is a HPML (prior to Dodd-Frank). Second the insurance was force-placed for the property. Last the loan is being charged off.
My question is if the loan has a balance in the Escrow account and the loan is being charged off, do we have to refund the Escrow Balance to the customer?

Return to Top
Escrows on Higher-Priced Mortgages
#1982315 - 12/10/14 09:11 PM Re: Escrow Account Balance? gms2013
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
(2) Surpluses. (i) If an escrow account analysis discloses a surplus, the servicer shall, within 30 days from the date of the analysis, refund the surplus to the borrower if the surplus is greater than or equal to 50 dollars ($50). If the surplus is less than 50 dollars ($50), the servicer may refund such amount to the borrower, or credit such amount against the next year's escrow payments.

(ii) These provisions regarding surpluses apply if the borrower is current at the time of the escrow account analysis. A borrower is current if the servicer receives the borrower's payments within 30 days of the payment due date. If the servicer does not receive the borrower's payment within 30 days of the payment due date, then the servicer may retain the surplus in the escrow account pursuant to the terms of the federally related mortgage loan documents.

Return to Top