Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1982727 - 12/12/14 03:02 PM Aggregate or Not for a CTR??
Waterfall Offline
PA
A lady comes in with $4,110 in cash, goes to one teller and purchases a cashier's check for her business. Her husband comes in at the same time, goes to a different teller and deposits $6,000 in cash into a joint savings account (for husband and wife.

To aggregate and file CTR or not to aggregate and not file the CTR is the question.

Thanks!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1982745 - 12/12/14 03:24 PM Re: Aggregate or Not for a CTR?? Waterfall
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Is the business a sole proprietorship? If so, the cashier's check was bought on the wife's behalf. The deposit to the joint savings account was also made on her behalf. The total of the two transactions exceeds $10,000. File a CTR.

If the business is an LLC or corporation, the cashier's check was bought on its behalf, not on behalf of the wife. No CTR.
Last edited by John Burnett; 12/12/14 03:24 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1982760 - 12/12/14 03:50 PM Re: Aggregate or Not for a CTR?? Waterfall
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Righto, old chap! Their marital status is irrelevant, but the form of organization used by the business is critical.

I'm tired of asking: The "business," partnership, LLC, corporation, sole proprietorship, what?

Return to Top
#1982847 - 12/12/14 06:25 PM Re: Aggregate or Not for a CTR?? Waterfall
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A lady comes in with $4,110 in cash, goes to one teller and purchases a cashier's check for her business.

Not CTR related, but I would be looking very closely at any "business" that purchases cashier's checks with cash for other reasons. Makes for some sloppy bookkeeping, tax evasion, money laundering, etc. smile

Return to Top
#1982921 - 12/12/14 09:58 PM Re: Aggregate or Not for a CTR?? Waterfall
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The only businesses I recall dealing with that needed cashier's checks were restaurants that had "stiffed" their suppliers and now had to produce (pun intended) cash or cashier's check to get their deliveries.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z