Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2009031 - 04/20/15 05:02 PM 314a non-customer on us check
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
In a recent exam, it was mentioned that we should be checking non-customers who we cash an on-us check for potential matches with the requests. I was wondering what other people are doing for this? How would we obtain an accurate ID number without forcing them to provide proper documentation when cashing the check?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2009046 - 04/20/15 05:25 PM Re: 314a non-customer on us check bcompliance
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Was there any citation to the 314a instructions? It would have to be a transaction for which you already have a recordkeeping requirement that includes the name of the payee. Unless it is one that trips a CTR filing, I don't see that you'd have the information.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2009059 - 04/20/15 05:46 PM Re: 314a non-customer on us check bcompliance
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
What I was told was in reference to the FFIEC Exam Manual, which can be found on page 92 of the manual under "Search Requirements":

"financial institutions must search their records for current accounts, accounts maintained during the preceding 12 months, and transactions conducted outside of an account by or on behalf of a named suspect during the preceding six months."

Return to Top
#2009069 - 04/20/15 06:03 PM Re: 314a non-customer on us check bcompliance
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
"Transactions outside of an account" is very narrowly defined in the 314(a) instructions, and refers only to transactions with certain recordkeeping requirements. I recommend obtaining a copy of those instructions and sharing them with the examiner.

Return to Top
#2009137 - 04/20/15 09:42 PM Re: 314a non-customer on us check bcompliance
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
You might also read FAQs Concerning the 314a Process from Feb 22, 2013. Read #5 and #13.

Last edited by *W*W*; 04/20/15 09:43 PM. Reason: correction

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Return to Top
#2009163 - 04/21/15 12:41 PM Re: 314a non-customer on us check bcompliance
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I am embarrassed for your examiner...

OFAC compliance is "risk based." There is no "violation" if you do not check the list, so you check the list at the pulse points when your judgment tells you it is appropriate.

314(a) compliance is "rules based." FinCEN directs your bank to look at certain things. If you fail to look at them, it's a violation. If you look at additional pulse points it's a sure indicator that your bank did not read the instruction on the bottom of the boot.

If you did get a "hit" on the payee of an on-us check and notified FinCEN then you get a subpoena for documentation, what documentation is it that you have? None.

You have wasted your time. You have wasted their time. The want the bank where the account is actually located to tell them they have a hit; they are looking for the institutions where the individual has connections that would be supported by CIP information and, possibly, other documentation that could be reached by subpeona.

I will not spell it out further as we generally refrain from discussing 314(a) in public fora... Read the instructions located on the secure portion of the FinCEN website. Follow the instructions.

Hardest of all, develop the ability to identify examiners who really have no comprehension of what they are talking about.
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 04/23/15 11:01 AM. Reason: Reword

Return to Top
#2009200 - 04/21/15 02:41 PM Re: 314a non-customer on us check bcompliance
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Read the FAQs as *W*W* suggested, found my answer. Thanks for the guidance.

Ken, I completely agree. Wasted a lot of our time searching for requirements that don't exist. The worst part is the examiner was a subject matter expert.

Return to Top
#2009293 - 04/21/15 06:36 PM Re: 314a non-customer on us check bcompliance
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By bcompliance
Read the FAQs as *W*W* suggested, found my answer. Thanks for the guidance.

Ken, I completely agree. Wasted a lot of our time searching for requirements that don't exist. The worst part is the examiner was a subject matter expert.

Which regulatory agency and what region?

Return to Top
#2009393 - 04/22/15 12:18 PM Re: 314a non-customer on us check bcompliance
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
FDIC Chicago region.

Return to Top
#2009619 - 04/22/15 08:29 PM Re: 314a non-customer on us check bcompliance
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Okay - that's the same region that decided a few years back that banks had to put existing insurance and property tax information on the Good Faith Estimate for REFINANCE and EQUITY loans.

Yeah - so bankers had to ask their customers to tell them how much they paid for their homeowners insurance in order to provide them a Good Faith ESTIMATE of how much they will need to pay for their homeowners insurance.

Must be something in the water....

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z