Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2007291 - 04/10/15 12:55 PM Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE?
rhobbs Offline
New Poster
This question is specific to portfolio loans. I've seen the topic discussed on these threads before, but not specific to this situation:

Our bank locks portfolio mortgage loan rates with a rate lock form similar to the secondary market. We issue the GFE based on that rate, and in block three of the GFE show the mandatory information.

If that rate lock period expires and we haven't closed, we are going to honor the rate anyway. We don't formally extend it or relock it. For example, rate lock period expires 4/18 but the loan doesn't close until 4/29. Same rate, same terms, same fees, but no formal agreement of any type.

Do we need to reissue the GFE upon rate expiration with N/A in block 3, since technically the rate is no longer locked? Do we need to run the APOR spread test again using the date of the reissued GFE?

What I've seen mentioned on these threads is that if you extend or relock a rate, you definitely need to reissue the GFE. I haven't seen an answer to the question what do you do if the rate lock expires and no action is taken at all, but the loan still closes under the same terms.

Thanks for any help.

Return to Top
RESPA
#2007293 - 04/10/15 12:59 PM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Whether the loan closes under the same terms is up to the bank. There is no requirement to re-issue a GFE when the lock expires. As far as the APOR, that is based on the last time the rate is set. If you didn't reset the rate before closing, you would still use the previous date.

Return to Top
#2007304 - 04/10/15 01:28 PM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
rhobbs Offline
New Poster
Excellent news. Thanks!

Return to Top
#2007506 - 04/10/15 07:14 PM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
And even better news -- this isn't going to change under the TRID rules in August.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2016251 - 05/27/15 04:36 PM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
Jsoconno Offline
100 Club
Jsoconno
North Carolina
On the other hand, if the rate lock is extended, would a new GFE or Loan Estimate be required? My understanding was that the only time we MUST re-disclose the GFE or Loan Estimate is at a rate lock event.

Return to Top
#2016279 - 05/27/15 05:37 PM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Currently, a new GFE is required at rate lock. An extension is considered a rate lock so a new GFE, showing the corrected/extended dates, must be issued. I believe this holds true in the land of LEs too.

Return to Top
#2016335 - 05/27/15 06:47 PM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
Even if the only thing changing on the lock is the expiration date?

Return to Top
#2016402 - 05/27/15 08:34 PM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Yes, even if .... because that's a key item on the LE.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2016462 - 05/28/15 02:08 AM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
Jsoconno Offline
100 Club
Jsoconno
North Carolina
Thank you for confirming. I guess we have always extended rates when they expire, but based on the discussion above it sounds like a rate lock need not be extended at a cost to the borrower for portfolio loans? The bank could stick with the quoted rate or go with the market rate at the time. I guess I never considered that. Are their any implications to not extending a rate lock?

Return to Top
#2016466 - 05/28/15 05:35 AM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
That will depend upon your bank. Some banks lock rates and charge fees as part of interest rate risk management.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2023380 - 06/26/15 04:04 PM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? Kathleen O. Blanchard
Newbie06 Offline
Platinum Poster
What if we have a changed circumstance? Should the important date section remain the same or reflect new dates?

Our situation includes a GFE issued on March 16 and the rate lock period (which we don't loack rates) has expired. The changed circumstance came on April 27. Our important dates section ended on April 16.

Should we start over? Help

Return to Top
#2023407 - 06/26/15 04:52 PM Re: Rate Lock Expiration, No Ext. or Relock, New GFE? rhobbs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
If you don't lock rates, how could the rate lock period expire?
What changed circumstance happened on April 27?

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL