Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2024692 - 07/02/15 02:26 PM Monetary Instruments
Linkpars Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
Our bank only sells MI to customers. We have some customers who have "signers" on their accounts. My question is this, would you consider the "signer" a customer and sell them a MI, or are they not considered a customer because they are not the account owner?

I hope that makes sense.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2024699 - 07/02/15 02:33 PM Re: Monetary Instruments Linkpars
CFR31 Ch x Offline
I think you just need to update your procedures addressing this particular scenario. There is no wrong or right answer here unless I am missing something. I would consider them a customer, but that is solely my opinion.

Return to Top
#2024708 - 07/02/15 02:39 PM Re: Monetary Instruments Linkpars
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I would not consider a mere signatory to be a "customer" for any purpose, partially because the CIP regulation would not and partially because I would not want tellers believing the person was a "customer" if they presented a check for cash.

However, the difference of opinion only consolidates the advice you were offered: Your bank needs to make and document the decision.

Return to Top
#2024720 - 07/02/15 03:12 PM Re: Monetary Instruments Linkpars
Linkpars Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
Ken, I totally agree with what you are saying. I don't want our tellers to think that a signer is a customer. This is the first time we have actually came across something like this, not to say it is the first, but we actually caught this one.

Thanks so much for your all's input.

Return to Top
#2024832 - 07/02/15 07:30 PM Re: Monetary Instruments Linkpars
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The signer is not a customer. But your policy could reflect authority to sell to a customer represented by an agent. The remitter would be your depositor (a business or individual). The purchaser for the MI recordkeeping requirement is the warm body that brought in the cash.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2024921 - 07/02/15 11:40 PM Re: Monetary Instruments Linkpars
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
For MI recordkeeping, they have to be a deposit account holder. Authorized signers, trustees, loan only customers are all treated as non-deposit holders for recordkeeping requirements. Customer or non-customer has nothing to do with it.

Return to Top
#2024995 - 07/03/15 01:39 PM Re: Monetary Instruments John Burnett
Cape Codder Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By John Burnett
The signer is not a customer. But your policy could reflect authority to sell to a customer represented by an agent. The remitter would be your depositor (a business or individual). The purchaser for the MI recordkeeping requirement is the warm body that brought in the cash.

And if you do sell MIs to these individuals and the sale falls into the MIL recordkeeping parameters, you need to make sure you're also including them in any 314(a) scrubs.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z