Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2025278 - 07/06/15 01:29 PM EMV - Debit and Credit Cards
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
I'm a little confused about the upcoming chip-based technology with an implementation date of October 1, 2015. Is this a requirement for both debit and credit cards? From what I've read, the bank's liability increases after October 1 if it have not implemented the EMV technology. Is that correct? Also, for ATMs, is the requirement further down the road - October 2017 maybe?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2025493 - 07/07/15 02:28 AM Re: EMV - Debit and Credit Cards leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
Also, how is there more liability after October 1? Banks have a lot of the liability anyway, so I'm just trying to figure out the additional liability to come.

Return to Top
#2025621 - 07/07/15 04:16 PM Re: EMV - Debit and Credit Cards leo_bsayer
Derwood Offline
100 Club
It isn't really increased liability for issuers, it is a liability shift. Effective Oct. 1, 2015 the party that has invested in EMV deployment is protected from financial liability for fraud losses on card-present counterfeit card transactions. It is the merchants who are not EMV capable after that date that will have increased liability.

The liability shift for ATMS is further down the road but I do not recall the exact date (it has changed a time or two already).

There is no actual requirement for anyone to deploy EMV, but the liability shift and added security of the technology should give merchants and card issuers enough incentive to proceed with it.

Return to Top
#2026065 - 07/08/15 09:09 PM Re: EMV - Debit and Credit Cards leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
So, if the bank does not have "chip" cards ready by October 1, there is no greater liability for the bank than what already exists? The additional liability lies with the merchant who may not be ready?

Return to Top
#2026082 - 07/08/15 09:38 PM Re: EMV - Debit and Credit Cards leo_bsayer
Derwood Offline
100 Club
That's correct, you just wouldn't benefit from the liability shift.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett