Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#214051 - 07/21/04 08:53 PM Pre-quals,pre-approvals,CONFUSION?
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
What constitutes a pre-qualification vs. a pre-approval? What disclosure requirements exist for each. I'd really appreciate your help.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#214052 - 07/22/04 11:57 AM Re: Pre-quals,pre-approvals,CONFUSION?
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Anyone? Please, I'm desperate.

Return to Top
#214053 - 07/22/04 12:14 PM Re: Pre-quals,pre-approvals,CONFUSION?
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I think a pre-approval is when the credit is pulled on the customer and all steps are taken to qualify them - with the exception of an address. VODs and VOEs are used, etc. A pre-qualification is where the lender just takes basic information - income, debts, etc. - and tells the customer how much they may qualify for.

Return to Top
#214054 - 07/22/04 12:16 PM Re: Pre-quals,pre-approvals,CONFUSION?
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Here is my specific situation, customer wanted to be pre-approved. Application is taken, paystubs obtained, bank statements obtained, credit pulled but there is no property yet. Is this a pre-qual or pre-approval. And what disclosures are required in this instance. I'm thinking just the GFE but I'm not sure.

Return to Top
#214055 - 07/22/04 12:24 PM Re: Pre-quals,pre-approvals,CONFUSION?
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
The GFE is only required after a specific property is located. From some training I've attended we were told you must have 'dirt' for RESPA to be applicable. For the pre-approval to be HMDA reportable, you must have a program and issue commitment letters, which we do. If you went through all of the rigamarole (spelling) of an approval without the property, it sounds as though this is a pre-approval.

Return to Top
#214056 - 07/22/04 12:58 PM Re: Pre-quals,pre-approvals,CONFUSION?
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I would agree with Skittles on both posts. However, I think this confusion will continue, because the terms "preapproval" and "prequalification" have at times been used interchangeably. I was once at a seminar where a compliance attorney who was presented as an expert used the two terms interchangeably. Someone finally called him on that, and he replied, "What's the difference?"

I use the terms to describe two different types of activities. In my mind, the continuum of activity is inquiry - prequalification - preapproval - application.

Return to Top
#214057 - 07/22/04 01:16 PM Re: Pre-quals,pre-approvals,CONFUSION?
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
You've probably already seen this, but if not, here's an FDIC publication about mortgage prequalifications that may help you.

Return to Top
#214058 - 07/22/04 02:30 PM Re: Pre-quals,pre-approvals,CONFUSION?
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
To be considered a pre-approval a committment letter must be issued for a set amount of money, and be "good through" a certain date (usually 90 days). A pre-qualification is simply pulling the credit, getting income information and conveying informally how much of a loan the customer could probably qualify for. We sometimes do these pre-qual's in writing and they are clearly marked as a Pre-Qualification, not a Pre-Approval.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z