Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#225956 - 08/11/04 11:14 AM Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is everyone programming their systems to produce a "Notice to the Home Loan Applicant" starting Dec 1st or are you waiting for the regulation to be published? Will the reg delay the effective date?

Return to Top
#225957 - 08/11/04 01:54 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
ToTo Offline
Platinum Poster
OZ
There is no requirement under the FACT act that any regulations be issued on this section. This may be all we're going to get. As of now, this is scheduled to be effective Dec 1.

Return to Top
#225958 - 08/11/04 08:29 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you know how they define the scope of the term "home loan applicant" ?
I am nervous after HMDA....

Return to Top
#225959 - 08/12/04 01:24 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
ToTo Offline
Platinum Poster
OZ
It's not "defined", but describes the circumstances when the notice is applicable as: when a credit score is used "in connection with an application initiated or sought by a consumer for a closed end loan or the establishment of an open end loan for a consumer purpose that is secured by 1 to 4 units of residential real property".

Return to Top
#225960 - 08/12/04 04:00 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Bear Collector, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
So this applies to HELs and HELOCS? I was afraid of that!
BC

Return to Top
#225961 - 08/12/04 04:17 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
TomS Offline
Gold Star
USA
Is it your understanding that we will have to disclose the actual credit score to the consumer? And does this apply to all applicants, or only those who get a loan?

Return to Top
#225962 - 08/12/04 04:47 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't know we were supposed to disclose any credit scores to home loan applicants. Where is this rule? I did the notice on reporting delinquencies to credit bureaus, and to Chex Systems but where does it say anything about applications and credit scores???

Return to Top
#225963 - 08/12/04 04:52 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
ToTo Offline
Platinum Poster
OZ
I have no insight on what is meant here and I'm just reading this like everyone else, but it appears to me that it applies to applicants, not just to those who obtain a loan. Yes, an actual credit score must be disclosed, along with the key factors that adversely affected the score, but there are options in the act regarding which credit scores may be disclosed in order to comply with this section.

Return to Top
#225964 - 08/12/04 05:27 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
You can find the requirement here, go to section 212.

Return to Top
#225965 - 08/12/04 06:44 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
I am replying with a question. What is everyone's opinion as to the definition of residential real property in Section 212? Do you feel that real estate must be involved? Or, would a loan secured by a mobile home only (no land), be covered?

Return to Top
#225966 - 08/12/04 07:24 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
Maybe someone else can find one, but the only definition of "residential real property" that I can find is in OTS regs at 12 CFR §541.23 and says:
The terms residential real estate or residential real property mean:

(a) Homes (including a dwelling unit in a multi-family residential property such as a condominium or a cooperative);
(b) Combinations of homes and business property (i.e., a home used in part for business);
(c) Other real estate used for primarily residential purposes other than a home (but which may include homes);
(d) Combinations of such real estate and business property involving only minor business use (i.e., where no more than 20 percent of the total
appraised value of the real estate is attributable to the business use);
(e) Farm residences and combinations of farm residences and commercial farm real estate;
(f) Property to be improved by the construction of such structures; or
(g) Leasehold interests in the above real estate.

Return to Top
#225967 - 09/07/04 06:50 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I tried using Jacob's Dad's link, but it no longer functions. Can someone point me in the right direction, please.

Return to Top
#225968 - 09/07/04 09:02 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
When you say "credit score" are you talking about the empirica score or a credit scoring system? I was under the impression that notice had to be sent only if you used a credit scoring system. Apparently I am wrong. How will you handle this?

Return to Top
#225969 - 09/07/04 09:26 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Jack Holzknecht Offline

Gold Star
Louisville, KY
The term residential real property is used in several regulations, including RESPA, for example. The "residential" part of the term refers to a dwelling, usually a one- to-four family dwelling. "Real property" refers to real estate or "dirt" as I prefer to clarify the term. Combined the term residential real property usually means a one- to four-family dwelling and the dirt upon which it is situated.

Return to Top
#225970 - 09/08/04 02:14 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
I wanted to bump this back up since no one answered my question. Does credit score mean a credit score on a credit report that you use in the determination of a loan or a credit scoring system? Would someone please reply.
Thanks

Return to Top
#225971 - 09/08/04 02:17 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
It's from the credit bureau report. I'm kind of hoping (but not relying on) that the credit bureau agencies will incorporate this into their reports.

Return to Top
#225972 - 09/09/04 03:56 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
smith Offline
Nebraska
Quote:

Renniks, the way I read 212 (which of course could be incorrect), the disclosure of the credit score needs to have the elements listed in 609(f), which are: the current score, the range of scores, the key factors, the date on which the credit score was created, who provided the score. Anyone else with an opinion this?

Thank you, Andy, for suggesting we consolidate these threads. I do have a question on one of the other 212 threads. IMHO, I do not think the disclosure required by mortgage lenders needs to list the range of scores or the factors. I believe that the CRAs need to provide that information when they provide scores to consumers, but the mortgage lenders need only to provide the credit score and the contact information for the bureaus. Does anyone else read it that way?

Return to Top
#225973 - 09/09/04 04:08 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

"(B) KEY FACTORS.—The term ‘key factors’ means all
relevant elements or reasons adversely affecting the credit
score for the particular individual, listed in the order of
their importance based on their effect on the credit score."
Does this mean lenders will need to disclose key factors or only the consumer reporting agencies? How will the key factors appear on the consumer report for lender to disclose? It says there is an order of importance and total number shall not exceed four.

Return to Top
#225974 - 09/09/04 04:27 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I asked our head of loan processing to check with LaserPro concerning this disclosure. It looks like they will be providing it in an update prior to 12/1/04. I'm not sure what it will look like - but probably be a fill-in form. Now our mortgage department needs to verify with Genesis that they will also provide it.

Return to Top
#225975 - 09/09/04 05:31 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
We are meeting with our credit bureau reps to determine the format in which we will receive this information from the bureaus. It is my belief that we will provide to the customer that which is given to us by the bureau, plus the required notice.

Return to Top
#225976 - 09/10/04 02:01 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
We currently do not use credit scores in our loan decisions. Will this require that we begin obtaining them just so we can disclose the info to the consumer??

Return to Top
#225977 - 09/10/04 04:04 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
No, if you do not currently receive the credit score along with the other information in the credit report, you will not have to change your practice.

Return to Top
#225978 - 09/10/04 05:13 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

No, if you do not currently receive [emphasis mine] the credit score along with the other information in the credit report, you will not have to change your practice.

We do not use credit scores in our underwriting, but we do receive them in credit reports (our credit agency provides them automatically). Must we disclose the scores to applicants? I say "no," but I fear the rebuttable presumption would be that if we receive it, we use it.

In which case, I suppose we will ask the credit agency to simply not provide credit scores to us.

Return to Top
#225979 - 09/10/04 06:21 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our regulators told us that we did have to disclose the credit score on denials because we have the credit score and there is always the chance that a lender used the score as another tool to support their credit decision. Even if you just casually look at it and confirm your decision, you've used it and it must be disclosed in compliance with the rules.

Return to Top
#225980 - 09/10/04 07:25 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
TOLIE Offline
TOLIE
Michigan
Beginning this week, our merged credit reports have been sent to us with a score disclosure attached, one for each applicant with the home loan disclosure, score model developer, range of scores and each of the three credit scores. It also has consumer referral information for each of the three credit repositories.

Return to Top
#225981 - 09/13/04 01:12 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our credit reports have 3 scores - Beacon, Empirica, and Fair Isaac. Are we supposed to disclose all 3? They have different reasons associated with each score.

Return to Top
#225982 - 09/13/04 06:59 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
In my past experience with LaserPro, don't be surprised if they send you the update Nov 30th.

Return to Top
#225983 - 09/15/04 03:49 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Which vendor do you use that is supplying this summary?

Return to Top
#225984 - 09/15/04 07:50 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Like several posters here, we automatically receive the credit score, but don't use it in our determinations. However, the language in the Notice to Home Loan Applicant says "...the lender used in connection with your home loan,..." Can we change that language?

Return to Top
#225985 - 09/17/04 12:54 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A rep at Bankers Systems told me that they have no plans currently for developing a disclosure - it was their understanding that there was the possibility that the credit reporting agencies might have to issue these. Has anyone else heard anything like this? It was my impression that the banks would have to provide it.

Return to Top
#225986 - 09/17/04 03:27 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
That isn't accurate. Bankers Systems will have such a form.

Return to Top
#225987 - 09/21/04 01:48 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
TOLIE Offline
TOLIE
Michigan
CBC company is supplying this disclosure. We get this disclosure currently for customers in California because they are in the first wave of obtaining free credit reports. I was told that as each group of states were added to the free credit report the disclosures for that group would be provided to us. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. Vacation.

Return to Top
#225988 - 09/21/04 02:39 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wondering what people are thinking about:
(1) whether a disclosure must be given to each borrower on the loan for whom a credit score is "used";
(2) whether a disclosure must be given if credit is updated for loans in process as of 12/1/04; and
(3) whether one score or three scores must be disclosed if three credit scores are obtained but only one score is used in the underwriting decision.

Return to Top
#225989 - 09/21/04 04:06 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

May be a stupid question at this point but I just want to confirm what I am reading. We are required to provide this notice which provides credit scores and key factors as of Dec 1 to all home loan applicants correct? Not just upon their request? I was just wondering because it seems like a big deal is being made over the other disclosures and not this one. To me it seems as big a change as the other new disclosures.

Return to Top
#225990 - 09/21/04 05:34 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
You are right. This must be provided for all home loans, not just if requested.

Return to Top
#225991 - 09/21/04 08:45 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Could someone clarify this further for me? Hope I get the legal sections right here: Sect. 609 (E)Actions not required subsection iii. states: "Disclosure of any credit score or related information obtained by the user after a loan has closed" What does this mean? If we have to provide the notice with the scores and key factors upon loan application, wouldn't the customer already have it? Or, does it mean this section is not retroactive for loans already closed as of the effective date therefore the lender would not have to provide the info in those cases?

Return to Top
#225992 - 09/22/04 02:08 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe this would have reference to "refreshed" credit scores obtained for account review or collection purposes. The financial institution would not have to make the credit score disclosure in such cases.

Return to Top
#225993 - 09/22/04 02:30 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks

Return to Top
#225994 - 09/22/04 03:18 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
smith Offline
Nebraska
Is it the credit bureaus who will be providing this notice? An earlier post mentioned they had received one for a California customer. If this is the case, we wouldn't need Bankers Systems (or other vendor) forms, correct? Will it depend on the credit bureau?

Return to Top
#225995 - 09/22/04 07:19 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My understanding is the consumer reporting agency must, if requested by a consumer, provide the credit score, range of possible scores, 4 key factors adversely affecting the score, date on which the score was created, and name of the entity that provided the score.

However, there is a special rule for mortgage loans. On applications for consumer loans to be secured by 1-4 family residential real property, the LENDER must provide the information above along with a new disclosure (sample language is included in the law).

On credit reports I have the score, 4 key factors, and who issued the score (Beacon, Fair Isaac, Empirica). However, I did not see the range of scores or the date issued - does anyone think this will be added before the Dec. 1 deadline? Also, how do you plan to get this information on the new disclosure - will your systems automatically transfer it to them, or will you depend on loan officers to write it in?

Return to Top
#225996 - 09/23/04 03:09 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, if I understand this correctly, any disclosures provided by the Credit Reporting Agency are for their purposes, and are not provided to the Bank's ordering the report? Initially I thought it would be an additional service provided by the CRA for the Bank, but now if I understand it correctly, that is not the case. Therefore, the Bank would have to either generate their own disclosure from the info on the credit report, or obtain a form from a vendor such as Bankers Systems - correct?

Thanks.

Return to Top
#225997 - 09/23/04 04:31 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Moman Offline
Platinum Poster
WA
I called our CRAs and asked if they were providing the notification to applicant. The two I contacted, one local and one national, indicated they had no plans to provide the notification. I had been in hopes that they would provide the credit score notice in a similar fashion to how our flood vendor provides the Notice to Borrower when a home is in a SFHA. Guess we have to go solo on this one.

Return to Top
#225998 - 09/23/04 05:15 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Won't the information have to come from the CRA on the credit report? Some banks in my area have been told by the credit bureau reps that they can give the customer a copy of the report.

Return to Top
#225999 - 09/23/04 09:33 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have read Section 212 and the "Notice to the Home Loan Appicant" and this might be a dumb quesiton after reading the above posts, but I have to ask it for peace of mind. If we deny a home loan application for reasons other then found in a credit report (i.e., unable to verify income, length of employment, etc.) are we still required to provide the notice? We were told by our regulator a number of years ago that we were not to disclose the name of the consumer reporting agency if our credit decision was based on information not obtained in a credit report. By providing the notice this seems to contradict what we were told.

Return to Top
#226000 - 09/24/04 01:53 AM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Quote:

We were told by our regulator a number of years ago that we were not to disclose the name of the consumer reporting agency if our credit decision was based on information not obtained in a credit report.

You were probably checking the FCRA box and providing the CRA information on the AAN in error when information other than the credit report caused the denial. There is a big difference between that and not disclosing the name of the consumer reporting agency that you normally use. There would be no reason not to tell an applicant what credit reporting agency that you use .

If it's a RESPA covered - you already do in the "required serice provider" disclosure anyway.

Return to Top
#226001 - 09/24/04 12:57 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Here is another dumb question, we currently use a merged in credit report from the big 3 CRAs, we use the middle score. Must we disclose all three scores or only the one on which we based our credit decision?
I couldn't find anything about it in the Act... thanks.

Return to Top
#226002 - 10/01/04 10:00 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not dumb at all. Has this ever been answered? and/or how are others disclosing this?

Return to Top
#226003 - 10/04/04 12:20 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
All I can comment to is that in a meeting with one of our bureau reps. the indication is that you would have to disclose all three scores. In keeping with the spirit of the rules, this seems to make sense.

Return to Top
#226004 - 10/05/04 02:11 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Banks in my area have also been told by their CRA rep that it is now OK to give a copy of the report to the customer whether they have been turned down or approved. The scores and factors are on the report, but that doesn't satisfy the notice requirement. Our local credit bureau said they aren't planning on providing anything in respect to this.

Return to Top
#226005 - 10/25/04 09:46 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, if I have a consumer apply for a loan secured by RE and I decline them, I have to give the adverse action notice with the FCRA notice and the ECOA notice (current practice) but now I will ALSO give them the Credit Score Disclosure and Notice to Home Loan Applicant Disclosure.

Return to Top
#226006 - 10/25/04 10:09 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Yes, if you "used" their credit score.

Return to Top
#226007 - 10/26/04 02:50 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, let me see. We are a small community bank. We have contacted all three CBA's. They are as of today removing the credit score off our reports from this day forward. We do not use credit score. We have a loan rate sheet for
loan customers, based on length of loan, type of collateral, lower rate if they have other relationships. We also make home loans. It looks like the only policy I will need will be the ID Theft Policy, Negative Information reporting on past due loans. Is this correct. PLEASE someone answer.
Thank you

Return to Top
#226008 - 10/26/04 09:10 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Creditcopper Offline
100 Club
Creditcopper
Michigan
I may be way off here but we are of the opinion that since the final rules have yet to become available on how to comply with the notice requirement, format, content etc. that this section probably WON'T have a Dec. 1st required date. Am I wrong here???

Return to Top
#226009 - 10/26/04 09:24 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
travelgirl Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
This is all very confusing at times. I know we will need to provide both the "Notice to Home Loan Applicant" and "Credit Score Notice" for the covered applications (consumer purpose, open or closed end loans secured by 1-4 family RRE). I also understand it's the lenders responsibility to see the notices are given.

With respect to the Credit Score Notice: Our Tri-merged reports we use on our mortgage side contain the scores and key factors from all three major bureaus. This looks great, it appears to be what I need. The information also appears on the Equifax report we use on our bank side. My question now is this: Can I just provide a copy of the CR obtained to the applicant(s) and satisfy the requirement? There is a date listed at the bottom of the report along with the name of the CRA that provided the score information. I have yet to get my hands on our contract with the CRA's to see if it prohibits this. If it doesn't can I provide the report itself or do I need to provide a separate credit score disclosure?

This of course is all assuming the CRA's are not going to help faciliate this process by providing something either on our behalf (for a fee of course) or a notice that comes out directly with the CR request that we can send.

I am guessing we will be completely responsible for providing the Notice to Home Loan Applicants, but I could be wrong.

My next issue is assuming (which I know I should never do in compliance) I have to send the disclosures myself, what are the timing requirements for each notice and whom do they have to go to? The only reference I see to timing is "As soon as reasonably practicable" in the Notice of Credit Score section. It's nice that's it's left open for us but awefully hard to comply without some date/day guidelines. Also, I see where the "Notice to Home Loan Applicant" need only be given to ONE applicant. I get that but what about the other notice. I'm assuming (again a dangerous thing to do) that we would have to give the "Credit Score Notice" to each applicant we used a credit score for since each applicant has their own.

Any thoughts on this whole mess? Thanks much!!!!

Return to Top
#226010 - 10/27/04 11:37 AM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought the "Notice to Home Loan Applicant" and the "Credit Score Notice" are the same form found under Section 212 of FACT.

Return to Top
#226011 - 10/27/04 06:36 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I thought the Notice to Home Loan Applicant was separate from the credit score disclosure.

I just went to a Transunion seminar today and they said they would NOT be providing a form with the five items required by the regulation. I suggested that it would be easier for us if they could program their software to draw from the fields on the credit report to get the credit score, range, key items, date and name, but they insist we have to do that ourselves. Manually, I guess, cause I don't see how our platform software can get that info.
Transunion recommended that we talk to our lawyers to design the disclosure. Uh, I hate to say it, but I think I am more up on this reg than they are.

Has anyone come up with a disclosure yet that they might like to share?

Return to Top
#226012 - 10/27/04 06:42 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Travelgirl, when I asked Transunion if we could provide the credit report to the customer to meet the disclosure requirements, I was told "absolutely not". They say that the reports they send consumers are worded more simply than the ones we get, and would be more confusing than helpful. Hmmmm. Sounds like THEY aren't disclosing all they should be.

Return to Top
#226013 - 10/27/04 07:02 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Peridot Offline
100 Club
Rural Minnesota
I have received pretty much the same response from Equifax. It doesn't sound like they plan to be of assistance for the credit score notice either, which is really unfortunate for us banks, since they would be in the best position to generate this notice. I just can't believe we are going to need to manually develop our own notices!!! I have been putting this off because of my disbelief that this might really be what we are left with, but I don't think I can put this off much longer if we need to have something in place by Dec 1st.

I also believe that there are two separate disclosures required. One is the general notice to homeowners, which Bankers Systems has told us that they are working on making this notice available before the Dec 1st date. Then, there is the actual credit score notice, which is the one we were all hoping the CRAs would be able to help us with. Considering the looming deadline for this disclosure, I can't believe the forms companies and CRAs aren't jumping on the free enterprise bandwagon and trying to sell us these disclosures. It appears to be a "hot potato" disclosure that nobody wants to touch.

Return to Top
#226014 - 10/27/04 07:44 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not put both the "Notice to Home Loan Applicant" and the CB score information on one form?

Return to Top
#226015 - 10/27/04 07:50 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does section 212 apply to originated loans or all applications??

Return to Top
#226016 - 10/27/04 09:14 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Peridot Offline
100 Club
Rural Minnesota
I believe it applies to all consumer applicants for loans secured by a 1-4 family residential dwelling (I would take this to include open or closed-end, and regardless of lien status).

Return to Top
#226017 - 10/27/04 10:12 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
travelgirl Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
After giving more thought to just providing a copy of the credit report to the consumer (since the required information is already there, at least on my versions), I have decided that the way things stand now that won't work. One, I don't even know if our contracts with the CRA's allow it (I'm thinking not). Two, in the case of joint applicants, both/all applicants information typically appears on the same page. We would not be able to provide the information "privately" unless we doctored up the CR before sending it. I wouldn't find it prudent to send scores/credit info on one applicant where the other applicant is able to see it, even if the two applicants are married. Not only is it a breach of privacy, but can you imagine what kind of marital turmoil might be caused if the husband really finds out about all those credit cards the wife has or worse yet the Victoria's Secret account the husband has had for years and the wife has yet to receive a gift from there?

Regardless, we know we have to provide this notice and it sure would seem logical (I know an oxymoron for compliance) for the CRA's to either produce and send the notice on our behalf or have a notice print out with our CR and let us send it. Oftentimes we do loans where this notice is not required (ie car loans) so how would the CRA know if they should send one?

I am still confused if there are two notices here "Notice to Home Loan Applicant" and "Credit Score Notice" or if they are one in the same. I'm starting to think they are one in the same, but the difference comes if you use automated underwriting. In those instances it looks as though you are only required to provide the score and key factors...not all the wording [see 212 (c)(1)(B)(ii)}

To think this is only one section of FACTA!!! UGH!!! I too am under the impression the CRA's are not up on this which makes it more frustrating. I have spoken to our local examiner at the FDIC and even he didn't know specifics. Any other feedback would be appreciated, especially if there is is indeed only one notice or two.

Return to Top
#226018 - 10/28/04 03:52 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I am 99.99% sure that there are two separate disclosures, the Notice to Home Loan Applicant and the Credit Score Disclosure. I don't see why they can't be on the same piece of paper, it's just the regulation has separate sections governing the wording of the notice and the content of the disclosure.

I have stewed enough about this and have resigned myself to the fact that, if we don't have the credit score disclosure in place by Dec 1st, so be it. I will have it in place by year end.

I am going to wait a couple more weeks to see if anything comes down from Bankers Systems or the CRAS or any other source, to make my job easier. I am holding a training session on FACTA at the loan meeting next Wed., we already have the negative info disclosures in place, and I will be working on updating policies so we have procedures in place for how we are to handle fraud alerts and mismatches on addresses.

I can't do more than a work horse!

When do I get time to prepare for Christmas?

Return to Top
#226019 - 10/28/04 09:56 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Notice to the Home Loan Applicant is separate from the credit score notice. The credit score notice is just that, the credit score. It might be a good idea to give the Notice to the HLA at application time and then give the score at closing. I don't know in what form to give the score...still trying to figure that one out.....

Return to Top
#226020 - 10/28/04 10:01 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was told by an OCC examiner that the Notice to Home Loan Applicant applies to ALL loans secured by a 1-4 family dwelling regardless of the purpose. So, this would include Commerical loans.!!???!!!

Return to Top
#226021 - 10/28/04 11:06 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
Anon: This is what the Act states.

609(g) Disclosure of Credit Scores By Certain Mortgage Lenders (1) In general. Any person who makes or arranges loans and who uses a consumer credit score, as defined in subsection (f), in connection with an application initiated or sought by a consumer for a closed end loan or the establishemnet of an open end loan for a consumer purpose that is secured by 1 to 4 units of residential property .....

I am sorry to hear that an OCC exminer has said all 1-4 secured loans are covered. I'm OCC regulated too, and I do not believe commercial loan are covered!

Return to Top
#226022 - 10/29/04 01:22 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Yep, Suzie, that section of the reg looks pretty clear that consumer lending is what's covered. But, being a former examiner myself, I can understand that examiners are usually the last to get trained on new reg requirements.

Return to Top
#226023 - 11/01/04 03:52 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
BY THE RULES Offline
NC
Which CRAs do you use?

Return to Top
#226024 - 11/01/04 05:24 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Peridot Offline
100 Club
Rural Minnesota
Does anyone have information regarding the ranges of possible credit scores for each of the big 3 CRAs?

Return to Top
#226025 - 11/01/04 05:28 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Cryin&Complyin Offline
100 Club
Cryin&Complyin
The Deep South
Quote:

The Notice to the Home Loan Applicant is separate from the credit score notice. The credit score notice is just that, the credit score. It might be a good idea to give the Notice to the HLA at application time and then give the score at closing. I don't know in what form to give the score...still trying to figure that one out.....

My understanding is that Section 212 covers the Notice to the Home Loan Applicants and Section 311 covers the Risk Based Pricing Notice which I think is being referred to as the "Credit Score Notice" in this thread.

The Section 311 notice must be given if a bank uses credit scores in its credit making decision process, and MAY, based on a less than satisfactory credit score, offer the customer a product and/or pricing LESS FAVORABLE than its standard product/pricing.

I also heard in an ABA seminar (American Bar Association) that a bank that uses the Notice of Adverse Action properly when extending a counter-offer has met the requirements of Section 311 and does not have to give an additional disclosure. However, our attorneys are not really comfortable with that.

The ABA seminar included the counsel for the Fed that said an Interagency Statement was in the works to announce that the final rules have not been written (duh!) and that when they are, they will state the new mandatory compliance dates for all sections of FACTA except 217. Some of our FDIC regulated banks are also being told of an upcoming FIL that will state the same thing.

It's like CIP all over again. We'll probably get the reprieve....whatdya think, November 29th???

Return to Top
#226026 - 11/01/04 09:06 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
smith Offline
Nebraska
The "Notice to Home Loan Applicant" and the "Credit Score Disclosure" are from the same section of the act (Section 212) In summary, it states that anyone who uses a credit score for a home loan shall provide to the customer 1)The information in subsection (f), which is the credit score information and 2) The notice under paragraph (D), which is the 'Notice to the Home Loan Applicant.'

Return to Top
#226027 - 11/02/04 04:59 PM What if this is as good as it gets?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ask for the examiner to put the recommendation in writing with a regulatory or statutory site.

Return to Top
#226028 - 11/02/04 05:51 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Saladin Offline
New Poster
Saladin
Orange County, NY
I spent half the day typing a response to this post and lost it when I tried to post. So this time my response will be brief.

The credit score disclosure and the notice to home loan applicant are both in Sec. 212 and are not the same thing. Sec. 212 contains model language to be used for the notice to home loan applicant.

Sec. 311 is something else. The information you got regarding sec. 311 and the adverse action notice is somewhat misleading. The information that you received made it seem as if they are interchangeable. The Act states that the risk-based pricing notice is not needed, if you have provided or will be providing an adverse action notice. The adverse action notice is for denials and denials with counteroffers. The risk based pricing notice is for is for credit granted but at a less favorable term than the consumer could have gotten if he had a better credit rating. The intent is to let the borrower know that is credit rating is marginal. A fact he or she might not have known, since his or her loan was approved. He or she can then make sure the credit report is accurate and, if it is, can begin rehabilitating his or her credit rating.

As for getting an extension I believe that will be for the parts of the Act that the Regulators are required to provide further guidance on but have not yet done so. The Regulators are not required to do anything with Sec. 212 so an extension may not be forthcomming.

Someone else asked about the credit score ranges of the big 3 CRAs. The big 3 all use the Fair Isaac model and the range is 300 - 850. The big 3 will have different scores because the information that each have, while similar, is not identical. I believe the web address for Fair Isaac is www.fairisaac.com.

Return to Top
#226029 - 11/05/04 03:09 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Jay-Risk Offline
Gold Star
New England
Quote:

"Credit Score Disclosure" ...in summary, it states that anyone who uses a credit score for a home loan shall provide to the customer 1)The information in subsection (f), which is the credit score information...

There is a great degree of confusion, speculation and guesswork regarding the disclosure and who provides the disclosure required in 212. This is very frustrating.

If a lender is using a third-party nationwide consumer credit reporting agency (i.e., Experian, Equifax, and/or TransUnion)and obtains all credit scores (FICO) from the nationwide reporting agencies -- or from a merged-file report of the three -- is it the lender or the credit reporting agency as noted in 212 that discloses the third-party agency's score to the consumer?

The bank's attorney is stating that the third-party developer and provider of the scoring model (e.g., Equifax) is required to disclose the scores upon request, whereas I was thinking the bank had to disclose the score we received from the tird party reporting agency upon a consumer request.

Is there anyone who has dealt with this and knows the correct answer? Are you disclosing the credit scores you receive from the consumer credit reporting agencies, or are you having the consumers contact the agency?

Can anyone give me a link with the exact explanation?

Return to Top
#226030 - 11/05/04 03:47 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
travelgirl Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
Jay-Risk,

If YOU use the credit score, you must provide the required information to the consumer(s). The consumer can also request the information from the credit reporting agency. At that time the CRA must also provide information (although in reading subsection (f), it appears the CRA has to supply more information than the "Users" (that's us) do. I think the CRA's can also charge a fee for this request..a "reasonable fee"...A notice of proposed rulemaking was just issued requesting comments on what should be a "reasonable fee."

We too use ARTA lending. Since it appears the CRA's will not be including/adding the "notice to Home loan Applicant" or "Credit Score Notice" as part of the regular process (even though I wish they would. I would even pay a small fee for it), we are looking at using the ARTA form or creating one of our own. Does anyone have any suggestions for efficiently filling in the Key Factors...I just don't see our staff taking the factors of the credit report and either typing or writing them on the disclosure...Now I haven't used the form in ARTA to know if there are check boxes giving factor choices and then the choices you've selected come up on the form or if you just have to type in your factors..The other issue I see with this is we only use the ARTA system for our closing document preparation, not during application (we have our early TIL/RESPA disclosures all printed out ahead of time). I would suspect we would do the same for this notice.

Is anyone considering creating their own (shouldn't be too hard) and having check boxes for the key factors. The staff could then just check off the ones that apply. Does anyone know how many possible or commonly used factors there are. I have left 2 messages with my Credit bureau rep this week to ask, but have received no call back...what a surprise!

Any suggestions/input?

Return to Top
#226031 - 11/05/04 03:55 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Jay-Risk Offline
Gold Star
New England
Quote:

If YOU use the credit score, you must provide the required information to the consumer(s).

Can you tell me where you located this information? Section 212 appears to refer to the consumer reporting agency.

Thank you.

Return to Top
#226032 - 11/05/04 04:08 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Jay-Risk,

If YOU use the credit score, you must provide the required information to the consumer(s). The consumer can also request the information from the credit reporting agency. At that time the CRA must also provide information (although in reading subsection (f), it appears the CRA has to supply more information than the "Users" (that's us) do. I think the CRA's can also charge a fee for this request..a "reasonable fee"...A notice of proposed rulemaking was just issued requesting comments on what should be a "reasonable fee."

We too use ARTA lending. Since it appears the CRA's will not be including/adding the "notice to Home loan Applicant" or "Credit Score Notice" as part of the regular process (even though I wish they would. I would even pay a small fee for it), we are looking at using the ARTA form or creating one of our own. Does anyone have any suggestions for efficiently filling in the Key Factors...I just don't see our staff taking the factors of the credit report and either typing or writing them on the disclosure...Now I haven't used the form in ARTA to know if there are check boxes giving factor choices and then the choices you've selected come up on the form or if you just have to type in your factors..The other issue I see with this is we only use the ARTA system for our closing document preparation, not during application (we have our early TIL/RESPA disclosures all printed out ahead of time). I would suspect we would do the same for this notice.

Is anyone considering creating their own (shouldn't be too hard) and having check boxes for the key factors. The staff could then just check off the ones that apply. Does anyone know how many possible or commonly used factors there are. I have left 2 messages with my Credit bureau rep this week to ask, but have received no call back...what a surprise!

Any suggestions/input?

#1, I agree with Travel Girl regarding the order of responsiblity. We have to supply the scoring information to the mortgage applicant, and not at their request. The CRA's are required to supply it, upon request, and intend on charging for it.

#2, Travel Girl, at this point, I am planning on having a check list of the most common with "other" at the bottom if something comes out that isn't among the "common"...I am working on that today to gather various reports and pull this information for our form.

As far as disclosing this info "as soon as reasonably practicable"...we have not determined at what point we will provide this and whether our loan doc platform or LOA's will be responsible yet.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#226033 - 11/05/04 04:11 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Section 609(g) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act is titled "Disclosure of credit scores by certain mortgage lenders."

Under this section it states "the lender shall provide the following to the consumer as soon as reasonably practicable: (A)(i)A copy of the information identified in subsection (f)..." Subsection (f) lists the credit score, range of scores, 4 key factors affecting it, date pulled, and name of company providing the score.

The section also gives sample language for a notice to the customer explaining credit scores. In the first paragraph it says "In connection with your application for a home loan, the lender must disclose to you the score that a consumer reporting agency distributed to users and the lender used in connection with your home loan, and the key factors affecting your credit scores."

Based on the above, it appears to me that the bank has to give the credit score information along with the notice. Our problem is our forms vendor's disclosure only includes the notice, without any place for the credit score information. At this point, we are thinking about providing the notice, copying the page of the credit report that lists the credit score information, stapling both together, providing it and having all applicant(s) to sign it, and retaining a copy in file.

Return to Top
#226034 - 11/05/04 07:02 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was reading the regulation a little closer, and found where 609(g)(1)(E) states "This subsection shall not require any person to - (ii)disclose any information other than a credit score or key factors, as defined in subsection (f)." So it doesn't look like we have to give the range of scores, date pulled, or company that generated the score.

Return to Top
#226035 - 11/05/04 07:52 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our credit report provider isn't going to provide a convenient way of giving applicants their credit score information. In the case of a denial can we put the information on the Adverse Action Notice in the Principal reasons for denial? That form already combines the FCRA denial notice and gives the name of the credit bureau we used. Reg. B also already requires us to give information about credit scores and reasons for adverse action. So it looks like I can just use this form instead of creating a new one.

Return to Top
#226036 - 11/05/04 07:59 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Every one keeps talking about the credit score disclosure requirement if we USE the score. As previously stated in this thread, many of us don't use it, it just comes with the credit report. Are we still required to provide the notice? I haven't seen a definitive answer yet. Thanks!

Return to Top
#226037 - 11/05/04 08:10 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
At a recent compliance seminar about the FactAct it was stated that if you don't use the credit score but it shows up on your credit reports, you better be able to prove to the examiners that you are not using it. Are your rates the same for a customer who scores a 720 as the one who scores a 595? About the only way you can prove you don't use credit scores is to give everyone the same rate or else don't have the scores on the credit report. That is what was concluded at the seminar I was at. Even an FDIC examiner stated that if the score is on the credit report and you claim you don't use it, you better be able to prove it.

Return to Top
#226038 - 11/05/04 08:11 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Gotcha SQ, thanks!

Return to Top
#226039 - 11/05/04 08:31 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Peridot Offline
100 Club
Rural Minnesota
travelgirl - We too use ARTA. I know that they are making available the general notice to home loan applicants, but they have told me that they do not plan to make the credit score notice available. Another BOL user supplied me with a template she had developed for the credit score notice, which I have modified to suit our purposes. It contains boxes that can be checked for the various key factors. If you would like a copy, please provide email address. I would be happy to share it, since another user was gracious enough to do the same for me. After all, we are fighting the same battle.

Although ARTA is making available the general notice, I may just use the Word document of this notice that I typed up. I think this might be the easiest method for our lenders, since they will be sending the 2 notices out together, during the underwriting process, and having a bunch of them pre-printed and stapled together might be the best way to go. I don't think acessing the form on ARTA, when the accompanying credit score notice is not available there, is the most efficient way to handle this.

I would be interested in how others are going to provide?

Return to Top
#226040 - 11/05/04 08:40 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Jay-Risk Offline
Gold Star
New England
Quote:

At a recent compliance seminar about the FactAct it was stated that if you don't use the credit score but it shows up on your credit reports, you better be able to prove to the examiners that you are not using it.

Bingo.

I think this is the key point of the entire issue. If you are receiving a third-party provided report from a nationwide consumer reporting agency, then it is not going to be believable that you didn't use the FICO credit score as one criterion in your underwriting due-diligence process. It smacks of avoidance in providing the credit score disclosure. If you're not using the credit score, then you should not be receiving the credit scores on your third-party provided reports. The provider should omit or expunge the scores before they're provided. A visible score means you're able to factor the information into the credit-granting decision, and using double-speak will only cause problems with consumers and the examiners. The point of the FACT Act is to let consumers see the score -- which has long been seen as fuzzy math provided from a black box. If you're receiving it, the argument can be made that you have it available to use.

Return to Top
#226041 - 11/05/04 09:50 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried posting this question before but I didn't see it show up so I must have done something wrong. Does anyone know if the credit score information can be combined with the information on the Adverse Action Notice when we deny a loan. It looks like we already have to provide the reasons that adversely affected the credit score and the credit bureau on the Adverse Action Notice. If we add the credit score to the Adverse Action Notice it looks like I can omit an additional document when we do a denial.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Return to Top
#226042 - 11/08/04 03:24 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
bcastle Offline
100 Club
Springfield, Illinois (Souther...
We use ARTA too, I have a copy of the general notice. But I would really be interested in the word document of credit score reasons. If you could please email it to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Bridget Castle bcastle@ucbbank.com

Return to Top
#226043 - 11/11/04 07:00 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
NJ1145 Offline
New Poster
Does anyone know (for mortgage loans) whether compliance with FACT Act credit score disclosure fully satisfies the similar disclosure required under California law (I know that FACT Act doesn't preempt California law for this purpose)?

Return to Top
#226044 - 11/11/04 10:16 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can anyone tell me if we have to discolse credit score information on construction loans.

Return to Top
#226045 - 11/12/04 11:32 AM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
sansan Offline
100 Club
The hat rack
I noticed a lot of posts stating only 4 key factors are to be listed; but, at the Kirchman seminar it was stated up to 5 factors may be required. The reg itself states that total number shall be limited to four with the exception that if one is due to "number of inquiries" that factor must be listed without regard to numerical limitation. Is anyone allowing for 5 key factors if this situation occurs?
Last edited by sansan; 11/12/04 11:39 AM.
Return to Top
#226046 - 11/12/04 03:14 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Are you sure they weren't confusing the 5 "points" with 5 key factors? The 5 "points" that need to be disclosed are credit score, range of scores, key factors, name of credit bureau and date.

Return to Top
#226047 - 11/12/04 04:42 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Nanwa, that applies to the CRA's disclosure...not to ours.

Return to Top
#226048 - 11/15/04 02:45 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
I believe that the fifth factor is if "number of recent inquiries" is not in the top four, it must be added as a fifth reason.

Return to Top
#226049 - 11/15/04 03:23 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I noticed a lot of posts stating only 4 key factors are to be listed; but, at the Kirchman seminar it was stated up to 5 factors may be required. The reg itself states that total number shall be limited to four with the exception that if one is due to "number of inquiries" that factor must be listed without regard to numerical limitation. Is anyone allowing for 5 key factors if this situation occurs?

I've not seen a report yet that listed more than 4, however they way my form is set up..the LOA will just check any that apply that are listed under the beacon score.

Return to Top
#226050 - 11/15/04 03:25 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Bear Collector, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
Quote:

Can anyone tell me if we have to discolse credit score information on construction loans.

I have been told "Yes"- for consumer construction loans, not commercial. Bottom line - is the loan secured by 1-4 units of "real property", is it a consumer loan, and did you obtain an use a credit score when granting the loan?
BC

Return to Top
#226051 - 11/16/04 02:58 AM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We only do HELs and HELOCs and do not use credit scores in our underwriting. Neither do we receive credit scores in the reports we get from the CRAs, this feature was turned off. For this reason, I did not place any procedure to disclose credit scores. Is this right?

Return to Top
#226052 - 11/16/04 02:21 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I would agree you are right..you can't disclose what does not exist!

Return to Top
#226053 - 11/16/04 02:56 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I have been talking with Joker about these disclosures. I was wondering if anyone was going to retain proof the disclosure was forwarded to the customer or are you just going to have it in your procedures?

Return to Top
#226054 - 11/16/04 09:03 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
Peridot Offline
100 Club
Rural Minnesota
We are going to retain a file copy to support that it was provided. In the case of denials, a copy will be attached to the denial form that we retain.

Return to Top
#226055 - 11/16/04 09:19 PM Re: Notice of Credit Score - Dec 1st?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

I have been talking with Joker about these disclosures. I was wondering if anyone was going to retain proof the disclosure was forwarded to the customer or are you just going to have it in your procedures?

Just for the record...I'm quite sure ours will be "procedures".

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4