Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#246691 - 09/20/04 05:11 PM Sensitivity - Diversity
Anonymous
Unregistered

Posting Anon for obvious reasons.

I am college educated and born and raised in a "larger" city. Recently I moved to a rural area and now work for a bank that is $250 and has 150+ employees. The bank, although rural is expanding into an area that is much more diverse with a larger minority population.

What I have found is that the majority of employees at the bank (including majority of upper management) are not college educated and born and raised in this rural area. I have heard employees reference a minority group using a very "outdated" no longer acceptable phrase. When I told upper management what I had heard, that it was not appropriate and that I felt we needed to begin an internal education campaign I was told that why focus attention on an issue that is not a problem.

I'm sorry... that fact that I told you it offended me should indicate it is a problem, right?

What I am hoping to gain by posting this is some suggestions on how to insist this is addressed and stopped. What I do now is if I hear the offensive reference...I indicate that is not acceptable. I really think that the bank needs to take a stand and make this known... not just little old me on a case by case basis.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#246692 - 09/20/04 07:42 PM Re: Sensitivity - Diversity
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, it sounds like you have a very complex problem. I would approach this one more time with upper management. Give them a brief overview of Title VII if needed. Explain what the term "harassment" and "hostile working environment" means. Show them how this term (and I'm sure you have other examples as well) could be construed as harassment (if you truly think it can). Explain the dangers of not reacting to an employee who complains about such harassment and explain the necessity of establishing an affirmative defense. Do some research and show them the sums of money that have been paid out in damages. Then, suggest solutions. Recommend changes to the EEO policy (if needed) and suggest EEO training for everyone (and especially for supervisors).

I would do this once. If they still don't get it, I would just try to find opportunities to suggest improvements as you go along. It sounds like the organization is in need of a cultural change, and that doesn't happen overnight. I think all you can do is continue giving them the facts, and show them how it can affect the bottom line (not to mention employee morale).

I'm curious - does your bank issue savings bonds and if so, do you have an affirmative action plan? What is management's opinion on the AAP?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry