Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#248497 - 09/24/04 01:24 AM Thyroid Update
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Some of you knew that I was having some problems lately. For some of you, this may be your first time. I’ve lost almost 20 pounds in the last 3 months. I’m also very anxious and restless, my heart rate is about 112 (resting) and I’ve been shaking a lot lately. All of this led me to get a physical a few weeks ago and I found out that I had an over-active thyroid. On Tuesday, I took a nuclear scan (basically an ultra sound of your neck) and I’ve been waiting to hear.

Well, the results are in. I found out today that I have “Graves disease”. Fortunately, it’s not as bad as it sounds. Basically, it means that I have an over-active thyroid (I already knew that) and that I need to have the thyroid killed. I haven’t set up the appointment yet, but I’ll have a radio active drink and it will do the work.

The bad news is that I have to be quarantined for 2-3 days. The good news is, I can still talk on the phone and post to BOL! Whew! At first I thought – “no interaction with people for 3 days! AAAGGGGHHH!” I’ll also take a synthetic thyroid pill everyday for the rest of my life. Not too bad.

I know of quite a few people that have had this same thing. It sounds pretty routine.

Thanks for praying for me during this time of waiting. I was glad to hear that I didn’t have cancer (I apparently have a lump on my thyroid), so this is really very routine.

Thanks again.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#248498 - 09/24/04 01:54 AM Re: Thyroid Update
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Praise God! Our prayers and God's blessings are with you.

Return to Top
#248499 - 09/24/04 04:20 AM Re: Thyroid Update
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
David, I was not aware of your problem but my prayers and thoughts are with you. I had a very dear friend beat Hodgens (sp) Disease, so I'm sure you'll beat this.

I'll attempt to catch the "big" fish for you in my tournament on on the 2nd of Oct.

Return to Top
#248500 - 09/24/04 04:23 AM Re: Thyroid Update
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
David...my family and I lift you up in thoughts and prayers.

Return to Top
#248501 - 09/24/04 11:53 AM Re: Thyroid Update
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
David, I'm sure you'll get through all of this just fine. I've heard of Grave's disease, but don't really know much about it. I'm sure the 2-3 days of no contact with people is going to be difficult, especially since you're a family man.

My husband was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with an almost non-existent thyroid. He was tired all of the time and had no energy. He had also gained a few pounds. He started taking Synthroid about a week ago and said he can tell a little difference in his energy level.

Return to Top
#248502 - 09/24/04 12:21 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Gee David, I didn't know you were having problems, best of luck for a speedy recovery... I guess with an over-active thyroid, it will be speedy, eh?

Return to Top
#248503 - 09/24/04 12:27 PM Re: Thyroid Update
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
David, so glad it's something curable! You will be in my prayers.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#248504 - 09/24/04 12:58 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Anonymous
Unregistered

David, I'm glad to hear you caught the disease early enough. Let me tell you what can happen if you don't. I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in September 1996. I had lost about sixty pounds, heart rate was 180 resting, and blood pressure was 210 over (the bottom number was indeterminable), had the hand tremors, developed pleurisy in my lungs. Went to the hospital on a Monday. Diagnosed on Tuesday. Treated on Wednesday. Suffered a major stroke on Thursday. Ended up in a rehab hospital for over a month. Celebrated the birth of my first daughter (from the Intensive Care Unit) two days after the stroke. So, thank God you noticed it early and are having it treated. By the way, my thyroid treatment wasn't a drink it was a radioactive iodine pill (Cesium 157). If you have any small children, you cannot hold them close to you for I think about a week. I had to use plastic utensils and you must flush the toilet twice. this is to ensure all the leftover radioactivity is gone. My prayers go out to you and believe me I know where you are coming from.

Return to Top
#248505 - 09/24/04 01:02 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Erl of Baltimore Offline
Platinum Poster
Erl of Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
That last post was from me.

Return to Top
#248506 - 09/24/04 01:07 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Hang in there, David -

Return to Top
#248507 - 09/24/04 01:56 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
David - you are in my prayers for a speedy recovery!

Return to Top
#248508 - 09/24/04 02:15 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Anonymous
Unregistered

The BOL graphics artist also suffers from Graves Disease. The anxiety and restless that you describe was so worrisome to him. Some days, he felt like he was going crazy. Also, he was hot all the time. He had to have a fan on himself pretty much 24/7. The shakiness was very hard for someone who makes their living drawing and using computer graphics.

He had the treatment you describe. (Did they warn you about your #2's being white??? ) and got teased with questions about whether he would "glow in the dark" during the few days when he was "radioactive" and not supposed to be around pregnant women or children.

The treatment was a complete success. It cured all those symptoms by killing off part of his over-active thyroid. He has to take medication on an ongoing basis, but is grateful medical science can treat this.

Did you know: Barbara Bush also has this disease?

Best wishes for a speedy return to your normal self. If there's ever been anyone who didn't have 20 pounds to lose, it was you!

Return to Top
#248509 - 09/24/04 03:05 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
OK, MB, You got me with the #2 info!

Mr. D, a speedy recovery to you, sir. May I suggest a couple of comedy videos and some novels you haven't had time to read for your confinement. (I highly recommend The DaVinci Code) And, speaking from experience, daily meds are a small price to pay for one's health.

Return to Top
#248510 - 09/24/04 03:09 PM Re: Thyroid Update
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
David, I had no idea. Will you still be able to make to St. Louis in November? I have not forgotten about giving you advice on buying guitars. I was hoping to be able to take you to Guitar Center while you were in town to look at some.

Get well soon. You have my prayers, and I know you know where your real strength comes from.

Return to Top
#248511 - 09/24/04 03:11 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suggest your wife cook you one of her famous sphagetti dinners. You can use my coupon..

Return to Top
#248512 - 09/24/04 03:12 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
MB, I was just about to mention Barbara Bush.

David, my younger cousin has Graves', and was diagnosed in her 20s which was a worry, cause she was afraid the killing off of the thyroid and medications would disrupt her ability to have children. Well, two healthy girls and 17 years later, she is doing fine.

I pray you have as good results as she did. Uh, but don't, like, get pregnant or anything like that!

Return to Top
#248513 - 09/24/04 03:20 PM Re: Thyroid Update
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
David, had no idea you weren't feeling well. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you make your recovery.

Return to Top
#248514 - 09/24/04 03:30 PM Re: Thyroid Update
KSK Offline
Gold Star
KSK
Kansas
David,

I'm happy and relieved for you that your diagnosis was nothing more serious. My thyroid problem was diagnosed several years ago and is the opposite, hypo-thyroidism. The synthetic thyroid medication I take daily "Synthroid" fortunately is very inexpensive (as compared to the general cost of Rx Meds today).

I pray that the treatment is a success and that your life, attitude, and well-being will return to it's usual state of normalcy.

Return to Top
#248515 - 09/24/04 04:09 PM Re: Thyroid Update
snickers Offline
New Poster
Dave - my nephew has the same thing, he was 22 when he was diagnosed, and is 25 today, doing great, you'd never know it if you saw him.

I'm so glad you didn't wait any longer - they key is catching it early before it advances. My nephew could have been misdiagnosed since he was a small child for years for having ADD, the weight loss, the high anxiousness, etc...when he was in highschool during football practice, his heart rate sky rocketed, he passed out and was taken to the hospital. The Dr said he couldn't believe that this kid wasn't diagnosed earlier.

Please take care of yourself, you're in my prayers, you'll get through this just fine!!

Return to Top
#248516 - 09/24/04 04:22 PM Re: Thyroid Update
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
David,
My thoughts and prayers are with you, too! Here's hoping those two days will fly by!

Return to Top
#248517 - 09/24/04 04:28 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Dazed&Confused Offline
Dazed&Confused
Dave,

The thoughts and prayers of our family are also with. We pray for a speedy recovery.

(I hope the UN Security council doesn't get you for the whole radiation thing )

Return to Top
#248518 - 09/24/04 04:59 PM Re: Thyroid Update
-5K-, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
-5K-, CRCM
Dave,

My youngest sister has Graves Disease. She was diagnosed a few years ago. She stopped taking her meds for awhile because she thought that they were making her gain weight. She's back on now thank God because her heart rate was high etc.

Please stay on the meds and you'll be fine.

FYI--Gayle Deevers (sp) the 1996 gold medalist in 100 and 100 hurdles suffers from Graves as well.

Return to Top
#248519 - 09/24/04 07:00 PM Re: Thyroid Update
BethF Offline
Sunny San Diego
It is good to hear that your problem can be treated. I had a close friend with the problem a few years ago - it took them a while to get her hormone levels figured out after her treatment, but she's probably better than new now.

I also have the opposite problem and take a synthetic hormone (Levoxyl, not the others mentioned) and it's working well. Just remember to have your levels checked regularly (I'm sure your doctor's will tell you this over and over). I'm currently on the every 6 week plan - my pregnancy has altered my thyroid levels along with every other hormone in my body. So a warning to all women with Thyroid issues, make sure you tell your doctor as soon as you become (or even want to try to get) pregnant.

Good luck David.

Return to Top
#248520 - 09/24/04 09:55 PM Re: Thyroid Update
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Hang in there good buddy! Glad you found the right treatment and hope you feel better soon...

Return to Top
#248521 - 09/24/04 10:47 PM Re: Thyroid Update
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Wow! I am over whelmed with all of your responses and prayers. Thank you so much. BOL is such a great community and I haven't even met most of you!

Here's a new update. Next Thursday (after returning from teaching at the ABA School) I will take a radioactive iodine pill (like Sgt Rock said). I don't have to be quarantined (yippee!) but have to stay away from babies for 2 days. No biggie.

Thanks again to all of you. I can't believe that all of you care so much - and for such a small thing to most of you. I covet your prayers too.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3