Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#250173 - 09/29/04 01:01 PM last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Okay guys, I'm planning on winning the powerball tonight (if I remember to actually buy a ticket). So, with the $128 million in pocket, I'm fairly certain that I can retire from banking. So, I just thought I'd say goodbye and goodluck. I'll be at the Lamborghini dealer tomorrow looking at the Diablo Countach S...should I go for yellow, black or red? What the heck, I'll get one of each.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#250174 - 09/29/04 01:05 PM Re: last day posting?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Okay guys, I'm planning on winning the powerball tonight (if I remember to actually buy a ticket). So, with the $128 million in pocket, I'm fairly certain that I can retire from banking. So, I just thought I'd say goodbye and goodluck. I'll be at the Lamborghini dealer tomorrow looking at the Diablo Countach S...should I go for yellow, black or red? What the heck, I'll get one of each.

You are thinking too small Happy. If you win, don't visit a dealer--go to the manufacturer.

Return to Top
#250175 - 09/29/04 01:08 PM Re: last day posting?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Best of luck!

Return to Top
#250176 - 09/29/04 01:59 PM Re: last day posting?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

You are thinking too small Happy. If you win, don't visit a dealer--go to the manufacturer.

EXACTLY, and then don't buy red yellow or black, buy a DEALERSHIP and drive whatever you want that day!

Return to Top
#250177 - 09/29/04 02:08 PM Re: last day posting?
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY, and then don't buy red yellow or black, buy a DEALERSHIP and drive whatever you want that day!

Forget all that, just buy me a Lambo, a Black Murcielago please. I promise I'll pay you back

Return to Top
#250178 - 09/29/04 02:43 PM Re: last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

But if you try to import directly from Italy, they still have to do the smog conversion, and you are paying a higher tax rate as well. Now that I'm wealthy, I need to be even more vigilant as to where my dollars are going.

Quote:

Michael, you miss the point, I won't want the headaches of having to manage anyone, so buying the dealership would be pointless. However, if I were to buy it and let you run it, maybe I wouldn't have any headaches...hmmmmm.

Return to Top
#250179 - 09/29/04 02:47 PM Re: last day posting?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

With your money, I am sure you can give them your exact specifications and modifications and they will build it for you without the need for modification. Or you could stay in an Italian villa and stop by daily to oversee the production of your one of a kind auto.

Return to Top
#250180 - 09/29/04 04:18 PM Re: last day posting?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Michael, you miss the point, I won't want the headaches of having to manage anyone, so buying the dealership would be pointless. However, if I were to buy it and let you run it, maybe I wouldn't have any headaches...hmmmmm.

LOL how many dealership OWNERS go into work each day? That's why they hire managers and open multiple dealerships under the same name and you have (Insert Owner Name) Ford Lincoln Mercury, (Insert Owner Name) Hyundai, (Insert Owner Name) Chevy, etc.

Return to Top
#250181 - 09/29/04 06:37 PM Re: last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
way too much trouble, I just want to lay on the beach, drive my Lamborghini, ride my back, and possibly own a soccer team or two...nothing taxing or strenuous

Return to Top
#250182 - 09/29/04 07:00 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I'm thinking that you should look into buying your own Island. Here is one: Half Moon Cay, a lush 9.2-acre island in the Western Caribbean that is currently for sale. They don't mention the price, but that should not be a problem for you, well perhaps today but not tomorrow.

Of course, you will need to check to see if the Island is still there.

Return to Top
#250183 - 09/29/04 07:19 PM Re: last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
My sister and her husband actually owned an island resort at one time, they sold the resort but still maintain 9 condos on the island. If I bought one, it would not be in the caribbean. They are in panic mode every time a hurricane is coming. I'm thinking around Fiji or Aruba...oh, what the hell, I'll by one in each location.

Return to Top
#250184 - 09/29/04 07:40 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
We'll miss you happy!! Just remember, when you win you're gonna have alot of "long lost" friends and family that you have never met asking you to lend them money. On this note can you lend me a few thousand? I think my cousin's brother-inlaw went to school with your 3rd Cousin's father's ex-wife's friend Sally...See we're almost brothers...

Return to Top
#250185 - 09/30/04 12:02 PM Re: last day posting?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
So, did you win???

Return to Top
#250186 - 09/30/04 12:35 PM Re: last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
It was very close, I was only 6 numbers off...

Return to Top
#250187 - 09/30/04 12:41 PM Re: last day posting?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Well, at least you don't have to decide what color car you want...

Return to Top
#250188 - 09/30/04 01:47 PM Re: last day posting?
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

But there's always Saturday . . . I think it's over $150 million now

Return to Top
#250189 - 09/30/04 01:55 PM Re: last day posting?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Wow, so all the I only play when the pot is HUGE players will be out. As if $60 million isn't worth trying for.

Return to Top
#250190 - 09/30/04 03:44 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I hate to say this, Michael, as I'm normally an upbeat type of person, but is it not a fact that virtually all those that play the lotto are losers? Of course, that is literally true, but I'm not sure if it's the people that play or the fact that they play.

Return to Top
#250191 - 09/30/04 04:00 PM Re: last day posting?
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, so all the I only play when the pot is HUGE players will be out. As if $60 million isn't worth trying for.

I say if your going to do something do it big. Can't win if you don't play. Usually can't win when you do play but at least it is fun and entertaining.

Return to Top
#250192 - 09/30/04 04:03 PM Re: last day posting?
Gigi2Three Offline
Gold Star
Gigi2Three
Quote:

I hate to say this, Michael, as I'm normally an upbeat type of person, but is it not a fact that virtually all those that play the lotto are losers? Of course, that is literally true, but I'm not sure if it's the people that play or the fact that they play.

woooo hoooo! So does this mean Oklahomans are WINNERS, since the lottery is illegal here?

Return to Top
#250193 - 09/30/04 04:12 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Quote:

woooo hoooo! So does this mean Oklahomans are WINNERS, since the lottery is illegal here?

Given the facts, that appears to be true.

Return to Top
#250194 - 09/30/04 04:40 PM Re: last day posting?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

No, not everyone who plays the lotto is a loser. Every once in a while someone wins... And I know several professionals who play once in a while on the pure chance that they MIGHT win. In fact, every year on my birthday I buy one ticket no matter what the level of the prize is. I figure someday I might get an extra present!

Return to Top
#250195 - 09/30/04 04:46 PM Re: last day posting?
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Quote:

No, not everyone who plays the lotto is a loser. Every once in a while someone wins... And I know several professionals who play once in a while on the pure chance that they MIGHT win. In fact, every year on my birthday I buy one ticket no matter what the level of the prize is. I figure someday I might get an extra present!

But I take you have not "won" the lottery yet, so technically you are considered a "loser"
Makes me a bigger loser since I buy one at least once a week

Return to Top
#250196 - 09/30/04 05:10 PM Re: last day posting?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

So does this mean Oklahomans are WINNERS, since the lottery is illegal here?

But you have tribal gaming, which makes most people losers at the expense of favored groups.

Return to Top
#250197 - 09/30/04 05:35 PM Re: last day posting?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But I take you have not "won" the lottery yet, so technically you are considered a "loser"
Makes me a bigger loser since I buy one at least once a week

Are you any more or less a loser than when you rent a DVD and the movie turns out to be bad? I'd say less. I used to buy Lottery tix with some neighbors just as entertainment. We'd get together just before the drawing each week to see if we won. Then we'd laugh and tear up our losing tix. Occasionally, we'd win a little money, but that was not the point. It was entertainment. And at a dollar a ticket, it was cheap entertainment.

Return to Top
#250198 - 09/30/04 05:55 PM Re: last day posting?
Gigi2Three Offline
Gold Star
Gigi2Three
Quote:

Quote:

So does this mean Oklahomans are WINNERS, since the lottery is illegal here?

But you have tribal gaming, which makes most people losers at the expense of favored groups.

toooo funny...but quite true. You can't legally get a tatoo here either, but people still fight chickens of all things! Oh well I guess I'll just go out and look at my oil well from my teepee for a while now...

Return to Top
#250199 - 09/30/04 06:03 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Quote:

Basically true, but the vast majority of people that play are losers, literally. The question is whether or not those that play are losers, in other words - given the personality make-up of those people, including the desire to play a game in which the odds are extremely high that they will not win, are they 'losers'?

Think of it this way: Michael P plays a game that he is extremely unlikely to win. Within the definition of a loser: One that fails consistently, especially a person with bad luck or poor skills. Since Michael P fails consistently and is playing a game with very high odds, versus playing a game with low odds (poor skills?), added to the fact the Michael never wins - within the definition of a loser - Michael is, for sure, a loser!

Return to Top
#250200 - 09/30/04 06:10 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Are you any more or less a loser than when you rent a DVD and the movie turns out to be bad? I'd say less.

Well, if you consistently rent movies that are bad, you are a loser. Anyone that consistently plays the lotto is, by definition, a loser. Beyond that, those that actually think that they will win, e.g. the poster of this thread, are even bigger losers versus those that don't give that much thought to actually winning.

So, it appears (based on fact) that Michael P is a loser, big time! Sorry Michael P, sometimes the facts don't come out in your favor.

Return to Top
#250201 - 09/30/04 06:12 PM Re: last day posting?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Basically true, but the vast majority of people that play are losers, literally. The question is whether or not those that play are losers, in other words - given the personality make-up of those people, including the desire to play a game in which the odds are extremely high that they will not win, are they 'losers'?

Think of it this way: Michael P plays a game that he is extremely unlikely to win. Within the definition of a loser: One that fails consistently, especially a person with bad luck or poor skills. Since Michael P fails consistently and is playing a game with very high odds, versus playing a game with low odds (poor skills?), added to the fact the Michael never wins - within the definition of a loser - Michael is, for sure, a loser!

Actually, I do not play enough for it to be considered "consistantly", and my luck isn't bad, it's about average considering the odds of winning. Also, I have won, just not the jackpot... In the 11 years I have purchased one ticket per year on my birthday, I have won something (highest $100) 3 times.

Return to Top
#250202 - 09/30/04 06:14 PM Re: last day posting?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Are you any more or less a loser than when you rent a DVD and the movie turns out to be bad? I'd say less.

Well, if you consistently rent movies that are bad, you are a loser. Anyone that consistently plays the lotto is, by definition, a loser. Beyond that, those that actually think that they will win, e.g. the poster of this thread, are even bigger losers versus those that don't give that much thought to actually winning.

So, it appears (based on fact) that Michael P is a loser, big time! Sorry Michael P, sometimes the facts don't come out in your favor.

Paragon, you are a complete jackass, and while my odds of winning the lotto by buying one ticket each year are astronomical, they are just slightly worse than the odds of a meteor falling from the sky and hitting you in the head, which I am sure many people on this forum are betting on right now.

Return to Top
#250203 - 09/30/04 06:45 PM Re: last day posting?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

If you enjoy buying tix, watching the drawings, and believe that the entertainment value is worth a dollar, does that make you a loser in the Paragon book of losers?

Return to Top
#250204 - 09/30/04 06:51 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Don't worry MP, Im a bigger loser than you, although I have only bought three lotto tickets in my life, I have never won anything. So if you are a loser than I'm a huge loser. (Just don't tell my wife, I don't want her to know that she married a loser.)

Return to Top
#250205 - 09/30/04 07:04 PM Re: last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Once again, all you losers have taken over my thread...please start your own thread called "Losers only". BTW, I neglected to buy a ticket yesterday, so I guess I won't be joining you on the new thread...

Return to Top
#250206 - 09/30/04 07:06 PM Re: last day posting?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Actually, I have found something out....

Paragon, you are the weakest link... Goodbye!

Return to Top
#250207 - 09/30/04 07:08 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Hey happy, come be a loser with us.

Return to Top
#250208 - 09/30/04 07:14 PM Re: last day posting?
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Reminds me of Stewie from Family Guy:

Olivia: You are the weakest link, goodbye. (laughter)
Stewie: Ha ha ha! Oh gosh that's funny! That's really funny! Do you write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. You are the weakest link goodbye. You know, I've, I've never heard anyone make that joke before. Hmm. You're the first. I've never heard anyone reference, reference that outside the program before. Because that's what she says on the show right? Isn't it? You are the weakest link goodbye. And, and yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever, smart girl you must be, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself. That's so fresh too. Any, any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity. God you're so funny!

Return to Top
#250209 - 09/30/04 08:15 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Actually, this was my experiment for today. What would happen if I put a poster through a routine that I went through many years ago, not knowing after that routine was over that my behavior during the entire process was a mirror for my life, especially as it related to work life. I learned alot and I hope you learned something also - if not I apologize, but if you did - you should thank me!

Return to Top
#250210 - 09/30/04 08:26 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
If you enjoy buying tix, watching the drawings, and believe that the entertainment value is worth a dollar, does that make you a loser in the paragon book of losers?

Legally speaking, yes.

Return to Top
#250211 - 09/30/04 08:39 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
So does that mean any of us could could be your next guinea pig? Who knew Bol could be Paragon's private science lab...

Return to Top
#250212 - 09/30/04 08:42 PM Re: last day posting?
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Happy,

Are you going to buy a ticket for Saturday? I am. And yes Z the entertainment value is worth a dollar. Does buying a ticket make me a loser per Paragon, maybe. Do I care what he has to say, NO! It's fun and how can you be a loser when you're having fun?

Return to Top
#250213 - 09/30/04 08:56 PM Re: last day posting?
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

It's fun and how can you be a loser when you're having fun?

Have you ever seen me really drunk

Return to Top
#250214 - 09/30/04 08:57 PM Re: last day posting?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
OK, Paragon is right. I do remember when we used to buy these for entertainment purposes, after the drawing, we'd often say: "I lost." So, I guess with respect to that ticket, I was a loser. That does not speak however to whether I got my money's worth.

Return to Top
#250215 - 09/30/04 09:20 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
So does that mean any of us could could be your next guinea pig? Who knew Bol could be Paragon's private science lab...

It is and has been for months.

Return to Top
#250216 - 09/30/04 09:26 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
OK, Paragon is right. I do remember when we used to buy these for entertainment purposes, after the drawing, we'd often say: "I lost." So, I guess with respect to that ticket, I was a loser. That does not speak however to whether I got my money's worth.

Z - losers buy all kinds of stuff for entertainment purposes, like illegal drugs, tricks, etc. Lotto is not a big time loser habit, it's small time but a loser habit none the less.

Return to Top
#250217 - 09/30/04 09:30 PM Re: last day posting?
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Z - losers buy all kinds of stuff for entertainment purposes, like illegal drugs, tricks, etc. Lotto is not a big time loser habit, it's small time but a loser habit none the less.

So how many time and how often do you need to buy lottery tickets to make it a habit?

Return to Top
#250218 - 09/30/04 09:34 PM Re: last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Z - losers buy all kinds of stuff for entertainment purposes, like illegal drugs, tricks, etc. Lotto is not a big time loser habit, it's small time but a loser habit none the less

wow, interesting thoughts. I know people who hate to read, yet I love to read. I wonder if they think that reading as a past time is for losers. I don't watch much TV, but know people who do, does that make them losers? The same can be said about almost anything people do. Unless they are doing it to excess, I hardly think that classifies them as losers.

Okay guys, I will be buying a ticket for Saturday (must make note to remember to do that), it is up to $150 million. If/when I win, I will through a major "I'm a loser, but a rich loser" party, and you will all be invited, included Paragon. We can play "pin the tail on the democrats" and other loser games.

Return to Top
#250219 - 09/30/04 09:36 PM Re: last day posting?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

I haven't bought lottery tickets regularly for about 11 years. Boy, I was sure glad to get that $2 a week monkey off my back so I could lose the money in the market. Got any money there. If so, you need to break that habit--what a loser that is.

Return to Top
#250220 - 09/30/04 09:51 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Got any money there. If so, you need to break that habit--what a loser that is.

Actually, not true - over time.

We all have loser habits and it's really poor people that are primarily buying lotto tickets - way more than a few bucks occasionally. It's really the numbers racket run by government, versus the mob.

Return to Top
#250221 - 09/30/04 09:53 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I know people who hate to read, yet I love to read. I wonder if they think that reading as a past time is for losers.

That would depend on what you are reading.

Return to Top
#250222 - 09/30/04 09:54 PM Re: last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

That would depend on what you are reading.

I read everything, fiction, non-fiction, biographies, self-help books, excercise books, news magazines, etc

Return to Top
#250223 - 09/30/04 10:02 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
How about reading Michael Moore, would that make me a loser??

Return to Top
#250224 - 09/30/04 10:16 PM Re: last day posting?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

No, I can read him like a book. He is a liar. That makes me perceptive, but hardly a loser.

Return to Top
#250225 - 09/30/04 10:28 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
He doesn't lie so much as he twists the truth. About 90% of what he writes is fact. He even lists his resources. It is just he twists and distorts the facts to make them sound the way he wants them to sound. there is a difference.

Return to Top
#250226 - 09/30/04 10:54 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon

I agree with Z - you may look like a loser if anyone sees you reading anything by Michael Moore, but you would only be a loser if you believe him.

Return to Top
#250227 - 09/30/04 10:57 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
He doesn't lie so much as he twists the truth. About 90% of what he writes is fact. He even lists his resources. It is just he twists and distorts the facts to make them sound the way he wants them to sound. there is a difference.

Isn't that the same thing that Hitler was doing? Is it not ture that "twists and distorts the facts" = lying? Unless, of course, you are also twisted and distorted.

Return to Top
#250228 - 09/30/04 10:59 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
So how many time and how often do you need to buy lottery tickets to make it a habit?

Insert the number of times or how often you play here______.

That's the habit number, but only because you asked.

Return to Top
#250229 - 09/30/04 11:17 PM Re: last day posting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I will stop being mean to people I don't know.

Whew....only 990 left to go!

Return to Top
#250230 - 09/30/04 11:26 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
You're wrong Paragon.
Example
George W Bush was gay (meaning homosexual). - this is a lie.
George W Bush was gay (meaning happy) at the debates yesterday while holding hands with Dick. - this could imply that GWB is a homosexual, but the fact here is that he was happy. its all about perseption(sp?). see the difference?

Return to Top
#250231 - 09/30/04 11:36 PM Re: last day posting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Your wrong Paragon.
Example
George W Bush was gay (meaning homosexual). - this is a lie
George W Bush was gay (meaning happy) at the debates yesterday while holding hands with Dick. - this could imply that GWB is a homosexual, but the fact here is that he was happy. its all about perseption(sp?). see the difference?

You are SO smart, Buddy. Love the way you just turned that right back around. Some might say BOL is not BIG enough for 2 intellectuals....

You're my hero.... (*NOTE - That was not sarcasm...)

Return to Top
#250232 - 10/01/04 01:37 PM Re: last day posting?
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Some might say BOL is not BIG enough for 2 intellectuals....

I'm scared to think who you consider to be the other.

Return to Top
#250233 - 10/01/04 01:43 PM Re: last day posting?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
You know, I really like it this way. I can see Paragon's unique and crafty avatars, but with him squelched, I don't have to read his drivel.

Return to Top
#250234 - 10/01/04 03:41 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
squelched? When did that happen - I didn't feel a thing.

Return to Top
#250235 - 10/01/04 03:50 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
You're wrong Paragon.
Example
George W Bush was gay (meaning homosexual). - this is a lie.

Lie: Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression. To convey a false image or impression: Appearances often lie. To cause to be in a specific condition or affect in a specific way by telling falsehoods: You have lied yourself into trouble.

"to say or do that which is intended to deceive another, when he has a right to know the truth, or when morality requires a just representation."

I rest my case.

Return to Top
#250236 - 10/01/04 04:01 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Well if I may reopen your case, where is my lie in that statement?
GWB was gay last night at the debates......
I cannot predict how you are going to take that statement. just like michael moore states what he feels, then a fact along the same lines to push twords a more liberal idea. but in the end,
an opionion(sp?)+ Fact does not = lie
Now if I may, I rest my case.

Return to Top
#250237 - 10/01/04 04:58 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
"to say or do that which is intended to deceive another, when he has a right to know the truth, or when morality requires a just representation."

What part of the above definition of a lie, one of many definitions, don't you understand? Moore is intentionally out to deceive others by shading the truth and anyone that does that is lying - when they know that that is what they are doing.

Return to Top
#250238 - 10/01/04 05:45 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Thats not it at all, have you even read any of his books or seen his movies? take "Roger and me" this is a movie based on facts alone. the only difference is the facts he chooses to put in this movie are all about how hard life was when GM closed the plant. rather than show how GM tried to help the laid off workers. Once again, It is not that he is lying, it is all about the way he uses his resources.

If I say Bush sent many americans to Iraq and they died. I am stating a fact, but it makes bush look bad.

If I say Bush sent many americans to Iraq and they liberated thousands. once again I am stating a fact, but it makes Bush look good. (don't go tell people I made bush look good, this is just an example.) A lie is what danny boy from CBS did.

Return to Top
#250239 - 10/01/04 06:38 PM Re: last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Once again, It is not that he is lying, it is all about the way he uses his resources

Well, not stating the whole truth, at least in my book, would be lying. If you intentionally omit information, then you are not telling the entire truth. Other than you, Clinton, and Michael Moore, I think pretty much everyone else would consider that lying.

Return to Top
#250240 - 10/01/04 07:17 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Read what Happy has to say above, Buddy. You are looking a little like a space cadet on this issue.

Return to Top
#250241 - 10/01/04 07:20 PM Re: last day posting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

that means that bush has lied b/c he has not told the truth about the weapons of mass destruction. he has not told the whole truth about the whole situation in iraq.

Return to Top
#250242 - 10/01/04 07:33 PM Re: last day posting?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
That would mean that every prez. we have ever had was a liar, including Bush. not to mention about 90% of all americans,(this is just an educated guess not a fact.) so your theory here is that anyone who withholds the truth from the public, would be a liar? so any time the government uses a term like "top secret" or "classified" they are lying?? a lie is a falsification of a fact, not an opinionated version of it.

Return to Top
#250243 - 10/01/04 08:06 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
that means that bush has lied b/c he has not told the truth about the weapons of mass destruction. he has not told the whole truth about the whole situation in iraq.

Are you from this planet? Bush tells the truth as he knows the truth to be. You are into the conspiracy theory area, e.g. what did he know and when did he know it. Bush didn’t parse the truth he told the truth based on worldwide reports.

Your Buddy is saying: “What are we missing by parsing the behavior of chimpanzees into the conventional categories recognized largely from our own behavior?” (substitute Moore for the chimpanzees) Moore has an agenda - he parsing anything and everything as a slave to that agenda, but looking at the whole person - he's a BIG FAT LYING WHITE MAN.

Return to Top
#250244 - 10/01/04 08:48 PM Re: last day posting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Are you from this planet? Bush tells the truth as he knows the truth to be. You are into the conspiracy theory area, e.g. what did he know and when did he know it. Bush didn’t parse the truth he told the truth based on worldwide reports.

Your Buddy is saying: “What are we missing by parsing the behavior of chimpanzees into the conventional categories recognized largely from our own behavior?” (substitute Moore for the chimpanzees) Moore has an agenda - he parsing anything and everything as a slave to that agenda, but looking at the whole person - he's a BIG FAT LYING WHITE MAN.

I RESENT THAT REMARK...

Return to Top
#250245 - 10/01/04 09:16 PM Re: last day posting?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

That would mean that every prez. we have ever had was a liar, including Bush. not to mention about 90% of all americans,(this is just an educated guess not a fact.) so your theory here is that anyone who withholds the truth from the public, would be a liar? so any time the government uses a term like "top secret" or "classified" they are lying?? a lie is a falsification of a fact, not an opinionated version of it.

you're comparing apples to oranges. It is one thing to know the truth but withhold it for valid reasons (i.e. Bush is giving a press conference and he knows we are going to attack Fallujah. Yet when asked by the press where we will attack, he claims he is not sure. This is done so the enemy could not get an advantage.) It is another to know the truth but to only deliver a portion of it, in order to make your side of the story look better (i.e., this administration put sanctions on Iran without the support of the rest of the world. In reality, Clinton put the sanctions on Iran, but if Bush hadn't called Kerry on this, everyone would have thought it was true. Another example, Bush lied to the American public about WMD and going into Iraq. Well, Kerry had the same info and also voted to go into Iraq, wouldn't he be lying to the public as well?)

Buddy, if you are still unclear what lying is, polease PM me with your phone number and I'll have my 8 year old call and explain it to you.

Return to Top
#250246 - 10/01/04 10:40 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I RESENT THAT REMARK

Even that is a lie. There is no "I" part as you are anon. Register, perhaps as Fat White Man? That way, resentment will be taken seriously.

Also, did you know that for a time ranging roughly from the last part of the 17th century to the second half of the 18th, the word resent could refer to gratitude and appreciation as well as injury and insult. So, with you living in the dark ages, thinking wise, what do you mean by resent anyway?

Return to Top
#250247 - 10/01/04 10:52 PM Re: last day posting?
Gigi2Three Offline
Gold Star
Gigi2Three
Quote:

I RESENT THAT REMARK

Even that is a lie. There is no "I" part as you are anon. Register, perhaps as Fat White Man? That way, resentment will be taken seriously.

Also, did you know that for a time ranging roughly from the last part of the 17th century to the second half of the 18th, the word resent could refer to gratitude and appreciation as well as injury and insult. So, with you living in the dark ages, thinking wise, what do you mean by resent anyway?

Actually Paragon per your comments earlier it is imprudent to say the least to have identifying information connected to your online persona...sooooo we are all actually anon's are we not? Let me know!

Return to Top
#250248 - 10/02/04 01:56 AM Re: last day posting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I RESENT THAT REMARK

Actually Paragon per your comments earlier it is imprudent to say the least to have identifying information connected to your online persona...sooooo we are all actually anon's are we not? Let me know!

Touché...

Return to Top
#250249 - 10/02/04 09:43 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Quote:

I RESENT THAT REMARK

I really don't understand your statement, but yes, most of us are anons even registered posters and that is a good thing.

Return to Top
#250250 - 10/03/04 12:23 AM Re: last day posting?
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:

Bush tells the truth as he knows the truth to be.

OK, P, substitute any name you like for Bush...try Moore, Paragon, Me or Z and you have the basis of this whole discussion. Truth as spoken by any person is a perception. It is what that individual PERCEIVES to be the truth. Just because another person perceives the same thing differently does not make them a liar. Your statement of what you believe to be fact, whether I agree with you or not, is truth. Your truth. I would never stoop to call you a liar. Are you capable of trying to get someone to change their perception about the truth of something without resorting to name calling and acting like a bully? When you stick to the facts, you can be one heck of a persuasive writer. But the minute you slide down into the muck, you loose our attention and your chance to prove your point.

Return to Top
#250251 - 10/03/04 06:04 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Quote:

Bush tells the truth as he knows the truth to be.

OK, P, substitute any name you like for Bush...try Moore, Paragon, Me or Z and you have the basis of this whole discussion. Truth as spoken by any person is a perception. It is what that individual PERCEIVES to be the truth. Just because another person perceives the same thing differently does not make them a liar. Your statement of what you believe to be fact, whether I agree with you or not, is truth. Your truth. I would never stoop to call you a liar. Are you capable of trying to get someone to change their perception about the truth of something without resorting to name calling and acting like a bully? When you stick to the facts, you can be one heck of a persuasive writer. But the minute you slide down into the muck, you loose our attention and your chance to prove your point.

I think that you missed the point - I believe that Moore knows what the truth is (at the level of why Bush went to war, etc), but is a slave to a political agenda with that agenda way more important than the truth.

We are all liars, every single one of us. With that said, few of us are out there trying to convince people that black is white, knowing that black is black.

As for a perception of bullying or calling people names, I don’t see it that way. Name calling virtually never starts with me, unless it’s an attempt at humor. Bullying, to me, is more of a reflection of the weakness of the argument against the thought that I’ve posted.

Actually, the truth scares people. As stated in a recent movie, most people cannot handle the truth.

You know, sometimes one needs to muck around to get to the truth. And, sometimes mucking around is fun - at least fun for me!

Return to Top
#250252 - 10/03/04 06:08 PM Re: last day posting?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Paragon - what are you doing here on a Sunday ?

Return to Top
#250253 - 10/03/04 06:23 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I'm preparing for a conversion, upgrade really, so I'm just checking things out to make sure we are ready as it's my butt if it doesn't work out. It's another one of my hats. I always stop by BOL to see what is happening.

And you?
Last edited by Paragon; 10/03/04 06:24 PM.
Return to Top
#250254 - 10/03/04 06:29 PM Re: last day posting?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Punishing myself by working...on a Sunday of all days...should be a day of rest and relaxation. Oh well, no one to blame but myself for being here. Right?

Return to Top
#250255 - 10/03/04 08:50 PM Re: last day posting?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You should just check the threads at home. Then it is relaxation.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#250256 - 10/03/04 08:56 PM Re: last day posting?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
No, see you have it all wrong. At home I have a small child. Therefore, working at the office on a Sunday is probably more rest and relaxation than I would be getting at home!

What are you doing here??

Return to Top
#250257 - 10/04/04 10:27 PM Re: last day posting?
Gigi2Three Offline
Gold Star
Gigi2Three
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I RESENT THAT REMARK

I really don't understand your statement, but yes, most of us are anons even registered posters and that is a good thing.

P - What part do you not understand?

Return to Top
#250258 - 10/04/04 11:12 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
The entire statement, but specifically the use of the word "imprudent." Since I've not connected any ID information to my identity, what's your point and how am I imprudent?

Return to Top
#250259 - 10/05/04 04:51 PM Re: last day posting?
Gigi2Three Offline
Gold Star
Gigi2Three
In some earlier post (unsure of thread) you were speaking on the dangers of personal information someone could get from your username etc... I was agreeing that it is imprudent so even if we log in with a username we are all still or should be very much anonymous. So even if someone posts as anon they are still as anon as people with usernames. That is basically all I am saying.

Return to Top
#250260 - 10/05/04 05:01 PM Re: last day posting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

In some earlier post (unsure of thread) you were speaking on the dangers of personal information someone could get from your username etc... I was agreeing that it is imprudent so even if we log in with a username we are all still or should be very much anonymous. So even if someone posts as anon they are still as anon as people with usernames. That is basically all I am saying.

Stalker Warning

Return to Top
#250261 - 10/05/04 05:10 PM Re: last day posting?
Gigi2Three Offline
Gold Star
Gigi2Three
yup...thanks that's the thread...

Return to Top
#250262 - 10/06/04 03:06 PM Re: last day posting?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon

Thanks for clarifying.

I’ve been advocating no ID, even the name of your institution for several months at least. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that this is an open forum, so all posts are public and the public entity as a whole can be very strange. There are several posters that we all know way too much about, professionally and personally. I view that as not a good thing. Personal safety is the issue.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4