Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#251014 - 09/30/04 03:29 PM BSA EXAMINATION!!!
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
This post is coming to you from HELL or at least so it seems!
Ongoing BSA examination and it ain't pretty guys.

Question, are we required to have policy and procedures for complying to the 314a list? I am being told so but I have missed that one.

Thanks for any help.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#251015 - 09/30/04 03:37 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I have one PM me your email.

Return to Top
#251016 - 09/30/04 05:40 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our 314 procedures are written into the Pariot Act portion of our BSA policy. We had a Fed exam in the summer and were not criticized.

Return to Top
#251017 - 09/30/04 05:51 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
I've seen them incorporated as well. Ours happen to be separate.

Return to Top
#251018 - 09/30/04 07:37 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
BUT, is it required that there be a written policy and procedures?

Thanks,

Return to Top
#251019 - 09/30/04 07:44 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I don't think a policy is required, per se, I never saw such a requirement. However, for consistency and proof of doing the checks, we have procedures in place.

It is included in our BSA manual, not our BSA policy.

Return to Top
#251020 - 09/30/04 08:05 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
nearlycompliant Offline
New Poster
we were just told last week by the FRB that we must "devise a 314 (a) policy"

Return to Top
#251021 - 09/30/04 08:20 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Runin' Reb Offline
100 Club
Runin' Reb
West Coast
Since we're on the subject....can anyone give me some ideas on what your doing to check your Cashiers Checks, Money Orders and Travelers Cheques?

Return to Top
#251022 - 09/30/04 09:05 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Under BSA 103.100, that covers Section 314(a), it says:

(C) Each financial institution shall maintain adequate procedures to protect the security and confidentiality of requests from FinCEN for information under this section. The requirements of this paragraph (b)(2)(iv)(C) shall be deemed satisfied to the extent that a financial institution applies to such information procedures that the institution has established to satisfy the requirements of section 501 of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (15 U.S.C. 6801), and applicable regulations issued thereunder, with regard to the protection of its customers' nonpublic personal information.

We just documented who handles the requests, how we safeguard the data, etc. The regulators were fine with it. It is part of our overall BSA/AML program document.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#251023 - 09/30/04 10:58 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
nearly compliant, kindly ask your examiner to reference where it says that you must have a "policy". When you tell management that you have to have a policy, they are going to ask you to prove it--most examiners are very helpful in providing this back-up for you. Sometimes it's just a matter of, "Yea, I know I called it a policy, but I really just mean that you have to have it written."

Policies require board approval and next thing you know, you could be in compliance with the law and out of compliance with your own policy. Program, procedure, OK, these are a lot easier to update as changes are needed.

Return to Top
#251024 - 09/30/04 11:25 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
we do what kaybee does in our BSA/AML policy.
PM me and I'll share ours with you.

Return to Top
#251025 - 10/01/04 11:00 AM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
banker mama,
Compliance with 314(a) requirements is an element of your BSA compliance program; i.e. you should address 314(a) compliance in your BSA policy just as you do CTR filing, record retention, etc. They are not looking for a separate set of policies and procedures, they only expect to see the issued addressed as a part of a comprehensive BSA effort.

Return to Top
#251026 - 10/06/04 03:04 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We have a minor reference to 314 a and b in our CIP policy. So far, that has been sufficient but FDIC is in this quarter for BSA exam so we'll soon find out.

Return to Top
#251027 - 10/06/04 05:05 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am being asked for my 314 B policy. When I mentioned we do not share and that such sharing is voluntary under the act, the examiners recommended that we add to the BSA policy a statement or two discussing that we do not share.

Also, by the way, last year I was told to write a 314 A policy and procedure, which I did and included in the BSA policy manual.

I guess I'd rather have these types of recommendations rather than< "Gee, we found these accounts held by Pinochet at your bank in an offshore PIC account"

There is always something that is said or recommended.

Return to Top
#251028 - 10/06/04 06:17 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
Devil Girl, I emailed you asking if you can share your policy but haven't received any reply.

Did you get my email?

Return to Top
#251029 - 10/06/04 06:26 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Devil Girl, I emailed you asking if you can share your policy but haven't received any reply.

Did you get my email?

Banker Mama, I thought I sent it to you, I am sorry, PM me your email address, I must have sent it to someone else...

I have had meetings every day this week, and I am moving to my new office on Friday, but of course, I have a meeting that morning, too...

Return to Top
#251030 - 10/06/04 06:35 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hey Banker Mama,
I just checked my sent items, I think that I sent you an empty email... I just resent it with the attachments (I hope it is you..., you are not accepting PMs)

Return to Top
#251031 - 10/09/04 12:41 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
Our firewall must be blocking because I have not received anything at all by PM or email.

Return to Top
#251032 - 10/09/04 03:57 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

Our firewall must be blocking because I have not received anything at all by PM or email.

Mama,

If you change your profile to accept private messages I'll send you a text version of ours right in the message. That way you won't have to worry about your firewall.

I tried to PM you, but your profile says you don't accept messages.

-- Homestar

P.S. If you decide to change your profile, just send me a PM to let me know.

Return to Top
#251033 - 10/27/04 07:25 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Mike Baker Offline
100 Club
Mike Baker
Tennessee
Homestar, Devil Girl...and anyone else out there in "Compliance Land"...

I would also appreciate it greatly if you could send me a copy of your information...I should be set to receive PM's.
If you have any trouble doing that, please post to that effect, and I will try to fix that or come up with Plan B.
Thank you in advance...we have a pending exam, and it's probably obvious from this and other posts that I have made, that I am a newbee...if I were any more green, I would blend in with the grass!

Return to Top
#251034 - 10/27/04 07:41 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Mike, I emailed you...

Return to Top
#251035 - 10/27/04 07:48 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you very much! I appreciate your sending it, and responding so quickly.
I am very thankful to have the resource in Bankers Online, and the expertise of yourself and others.
Have a great afternoon!

Return to Top
#251036 - 10/27/04 08:58 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
ITGuy Offline
Gold Star
Alabama
Quote:

Since we're on the subject....can anyone give me some ideas on what your doing to check your Cashiers Checks, Money Orders and Travelers Cheques?

We are a Jack Henry bank using Vertex for our teller automation. For cashiers checks, I run a Query report against the cashiers check file on the AS/400. I list all non-customer sales for transactions between $3k and $10k for the previous 6 months. We then check the report against the 314(a) requests. We don't have a lot of non-customer sales, so the manual verifying is not too difficult.

Return to Top
#251037 - 11/01/04 02:59 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
BY THE RULES Offline
NC
Devil Girl - I'd appreciate a copy, too; if you don't mind. I'm pretty sure I'm set up to receive PMs. Thanks!!

Return to Top
#251038 - 11/01/04 04:13 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Security Guy Offline
Gold Star
Upstate N.Y.
Devil Girl, could you PM me a copy of your procedures? Thanks.

Return to Top
#251039 - 11/01/04 06:11 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
rpd58 Offline
New Poster
Texas
I need to make sure I understand. On outgoing wire transfers do we need to check the name of the beneficiary and on incoming do we need to check the name of the originator.

Return to Top
#251040 - 12/03/04 03:57 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

We got examined and they cited us for lack of 314a searches on beneficiaries of outgoing wires and originators of incoming wires. We argued with them and they backed down. So, I guess the real answer is, "No, it is not required, but you may have to argue."

Also, be sure you do an OFAC search on ALL parties to wire transfers. (They even indicated that we should search the intermediary bank! We refused on common sense grounds unless it was a foreign bank.)

Return to Top
#251041 - 12/04/04 06:51 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Wish me luck and include me in your prayers. Our case manager told me the OCC BSA exam team will be at our bank for a targeted BSA exam on January 10th.

Our USA PATRIOT exam was never finalized. The letter from the OCC said something about a "resource challenge" and said that the exam would be concluded sometime in the first quarter.

The case manager told me that the OCC is conducting a "Horizontal review" of BSA throughout the banks. "Horizontal?" I asked....and he said that the BSA exam is simply a straight line going through the banks and it is not being combined with the Safety and Soundness exam this time.

Y'know what stresses me about this? (Besides the obvious - what if they feel we aren't doing a good enough job.... - The exam entry letter with it's huge list of stuff to compile and submit will be coming just in time for the holidays.

So...instead of doing ACTUAL WORK, we get to spend hours putting together nice binders of stuff.

Return to Top
#251042 - 02/10/05 09:09 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
IA Offline
Could I get a copy of that 314 (A) policy or procedure? Thanks a lot - my email is matt@capitalcombank.com if you could send it as an attachment

Return to Top
#251043 - 02/10/05 09:13 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
IA Offline
We are being examined right now, and are being cited for not checking 314(a) on wires....is there any reasoning that I can use in arguing the citation?

Return to Top
#251044 - 02/10/05 09:21 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
If you do not do wires (in or out) for non-account customers you do not need to check wires separately vis-a-vis 314a since this will be checked when you check your CIF. Hope this helps. If you do wires for non-account customers, you need to check.

Return to Top
#251045 - 02/10/05 09:47 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can't argue not checking non-acct wire transfers. They have to be checked. Nothing you can do but draft up a policy/procedure for checking 314a requests against your non-acct wires, and wait for that good'ol examination train to rool around.

Return to Top
#251046 - 02/11/05 12:33 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Matt, I PM'd you...

must have email address, must have email address...

Return to Top
#251047 - 02/11/05 06:46 PM Re: BSA EXAMINATION!!!
Runin' Reb Offline
100 Club
Runin' Reb
West Coast
Quote:

Quote:

We are a Jack Henry bank using Vertex for our teller automation. For cashiers checks, I run a Query report against the cashiers check file on the AS/400. I list all non-customer sales for transactions between $3k and $10k for the previous 6 months. We then check the report against the 314(a) requests. We don't have a lot of non-customer sales, so the manual verifying is not too difficult.

ITGUY...I just PM'd you.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z