BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#255771 - 10/12/04 09:31 PM Doxies
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
It appears from the small dog thread that there are some doxie lovers out there. Do you have a mini or standard? What is their color? How many do you have?

We have 2 minis that are sisters. One is a silver dapple and the other is a black and tan.

We used to have one doxie and when we had to put him down, we decided to try 2. Two can entertain themselves much better than the one did and we have less issues with them. For the back issues, try vitamin c every day. Our one has several vertebrae that are fused, but once we started the vitamin c and limited couch usage without one of us there, she hasn't had an issue in 5 years!!!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#255772 - 10/27/04 09:08 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

we have 2 wieners--the elder of them is a miniature, long haired, black & tan dapple. (he's VERY handsome) and we also have a standard, red, smoothie. (he's VERY loud) their names are oscar & dieter! they are certifiably crazy dogs. they are always doing something to make me laugh!

Return to Top
#255773 - 10/27/04 09:22 PM Re: Doxies
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Not to hijack your thread but I was just sure this was going to be a thread about Elena........

Return to Top
#255774 - 10/27/04 09:24 PM Re: Doxies
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Oh darn..I thought this thread was about Maria heh heh

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#255775 - 10/28/04 12:37 PM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
I must have missed this thread. I have the "Queen of Weens" living with me. A mini shorthair....red dapple. She is a real barker, even barked at a feather one day. She is an absolutely incredible dog, and I love her dearly. There are days when the stress of work, etc. is almost unbearable.....and then she jumps up in my lap....and all is well....

Return to Top
#255776 - 10/28/04 04:19 PM Re: Doxies
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Saw a Halloween pet parade the other day - The dashound was wearing a hot dog bun costume, and his master was dressed as a jar of mustard!

I always wanted to get a dobermin pincsher and name him Gillis. Dobie Gillis, get it?

Return to Top
#255777 - 10/28/04 04:21 PM Re: Doxies
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Saw a Halloween pet parade the other day - The dashound was wearing a hot dog bun costume, and his master was dressed as a jar of mustard!

I always wanted to get a dobermin pincsher and name him Gillis. Dobie Gillis, get it?

*GROAN* That was bad.... My question is, was the mustard costume made out of duct tape?

Return to Top
#255778 - 10/28/04 04:28 PM Re: Doxies
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Not that I could tell. It looked like styrofoam.

Return to Top
#255779 - 10/28/04 05:00 PM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
I had considered the hot dog costume, but my doxie is more of a cocktail weenie. Very petite and feminine. We did dress her up quite patriotically one year for a parade. She was so cute and she made it into the paper.....2 years in a row! Nothing like a doxie....would love to have at least 2 of them, landlord has restricted me to just one dog. Some day my dream will come true.....

Return to Top
#255780 - 10/28/04 09:39 PM Re: Doxies
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
The first year we had the two of them, we dressed them up as Sheriff and Deputy..my Mom made chaps and vests and we bought newborn onesies and doggie cowboy hats (that made the paper). The next year we dressed one up as an angel and the other a devil (it suite them to a tee). After that they didn't cooperate as much and we didn't live in a town that had a Petsmart or Petco where you could take them and have their pictures taken.

Return to Top
#255781 - 10/28/04 09:41 PM Re: Doxies
RUNSWITHSCISSORS Offline
Platinum Poster
RUNSWITHSCISSORS
That sounds so cute. Wish I could see pictures of that.

Return to Top
#255782 - 10/28/04 10:16 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

i MADE a bun for my wiener dog for his first halloween--poppy seeds & all!!

BOY DID HE HATE IT!!

he still runs & hides whenever i pull it out of the closet. and don't get me started on the sants suit or the reindeer antlers for christmas UGH!

Return to Top
#255783 - 10/29/04 04:57 PM Re: Doxies
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Quote:

the reindeer antlers for christmas UGH!

OMG! I forgot we did that with our other doxie and cat one year for Christmas cards...what a riot!

Return to Top
#255784 - 10/29/04 05:09 PM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
My kids are always trying to dress my doxie up. She is pretty tolerant of it...just this morning I noticed she was wearing a bow tie from my daughter's Halloween costume.

OK doxie people....does your doxie like to eat paper? Please tell me I am not alone here....

Return to Top
#255785 - 10/29/04 07:47 PM Re: Doxies
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
We had a doxie, in fact he lived to be 19. Very onery little bugger, ruled the roost but did not eat paper. (Human flesh was another matter.)

My Rottie eats paper. After every meal he checks out the trash cans for paper products - we say he is looking for a napkin! This dog has also been known to eat entire sections of the newspaper, gift certificates, money, homework, etc. I'm the pooper scooper, have multiple dogs & cleaning the backyard, well I always recognize the Rottie's piles!! He is so special.

Return to Top
#255786 - 10/29/04 08:48 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

We've got one - a mini red shorthair that we took in (and a doxie-poodle mix we picked up at the pound).

The doxie doesn't eat paper - but she does chew the corners off of pillows!

Return to Top
#255787 - 10/29/04 09:13 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

ours don't eat paper but oscar does LOVE SLIDERS and he will not give a second thought to taking one off the table that is still in the box--yes, he can remove it without too much shredding. when he was a puppy, he used to like to get on his hind legs and start unrolling the toilet paper. he wouldn't eat it--just leave a big pile of it there on the bathroom floor. silly wiener!

Return to Top
#255788 - 10/30/04 02:27 PM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
As a pup, the Queen of Weens would like to eat her "poop"...GROSS! When she would have an accident she would grab it and run under the bed with it. She loves to eat almost anything - she got some gum out of my purse the other day. Paper is still one of her favorites though.

But I wouldn't trade her for anything. My best buddy. She can make me smile when nothing else can. Everyone should have one!

Return to Top
#255789 - 11/01/04 03:50 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

i caught oscar sniffing around a cat box once a long time ago--eeewwwwww! i chased him away before he could get too close.

our dogs get their own plates at thanksgiving!! they even get to eat off the "good dishes". they both just LOVE turkey & stuffing!

Return to Top
#255790 - 11/01/04 06:56 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

It appears from the small dog thread that there are some doxie lovers out there. Do you have a mini or standard? What is their color? How many do you have?

I've got a "tweener" that has short hair and is red. He weighs about 16 pounds, but does not look heavy. He has quite an hourglass shape for a boy and is very handsome. I don't know what I'd do without him and he is pretty attached to me as well. He is well behaved except when defending his territory. He finally quit barking at the Schwann's man. He loves my next door neighbor, but barks at everyone else who comes to her house. He has taken on her house as his territory too, I guess.

Return to Top
#255791 - 11/01/04 07:15 PM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
Don't ya just love them!

The "queen of weens" is not fond of very many people. Me, my kids and some good friends get the greeting where you think she is just going to come out of her skin with happiness. Everyone else (including children) beware. She did one day, however, hop in the car with the pizza delivery guy......

Return to Top
#255792 - 11/01/04 08:52 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

oscar likes to sleep on the pillow above my husbands head he's so cute. that's why we call him the pillow puppy.

he's also insanely jealous!! he will not tolerate anyone giving or getting "luvin'" except for himself!

HEY! do any of your wieners wait in the bathroom until you get out of the shower and then lick the water off your feet & lower legs? i have never seen another dog do this except oscar! it's too wierd. silly wiener!

Return to Top
#255793 - 11/01/04 08:54 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

For the back issues, try vitamin c every day. Our one has several vertebrae that are fused, but once we started the vitamin c and limited couch usage without one of us there, she hasn't had an issue in 5 years!!!

do you just give them regular "people" vitamin c? i can'picture my dog chewing on the big orange flavored tablets i have for myself and the smaller tabs are VERY tart!

Return to Top
#255794 - 11/01/04 08:58 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

HEY! do any of your wieners wait in the bathroom until you get out of the shower and then lick the water off your feet & lower legs? i have never seen another dog do this except oscar! it's too wierd. silly wiener!

Mine gets in the shower after I'm out and laps up the water from the floor of the shower. When he was younger and I had a shower/tub combo, he used to jump onto the tub and get into it while I was taking a shower. My master bathroom had no door (which I've always thought was a strange setup) so I had to put him in the crate while I showered. He would have torn the bedroom door apart with his nails otherwise.

Return to Top
#255795 - 11/01/04 09:00 PM Re: Doxies
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
yes, we just use the regular vitamin C chewables. You have to be carefull on the dosage, but if you searched the internet there would be plenty of information available that would give you the dosage information.

Our doxies also defend their territory with their howl/bark. I can't tell you how many very large dogs go runny with their tail between their legs once our 14 pounder goes out there and starts her tirade. It is quite a site.

Return to Top
#255796 - 11/01/04 09:11 PM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
The queen of weens also sees the need to inspect the shower after I am done. One time she jumped into a bathtub full of water.....and one time was enough!

She has a favorite toy....a hamburger that squeaks. Has to have it all of the time somewhere where she can see it. Other toys have come and been destroyed. But not her precious burger.

Return to Top
#255797 - 11/01/04 09:27 PM Re: Doxies
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Our little Hayley Jo LOVES socks...and not the clean ones! She loves to have you ball them up after wearing them all day. She treats them just like her babies and will growl at the other dog if she even walks next to them.

Return to Top
#255798 - 11/01/04 09:54 PM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
The Queen of Weens steals socks during the night. She is a sock thief......

Return to Top
#255799 - 11/01/04 10:36 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

SO IS DIETER!!!

i find my husband's dirty socks all over the place!!

Return to Top
#255800 - 11/01/04 10:39 PM Re: Doxies
Truffle Royale Online

10K Club
The cutie at left is an apres shower licker too. Not doxie specific but maybe small dog? She's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel 6 month old puppy. Will be slightly taller but the same weight as all your doxies seem to be.

Return to Top
#255801 - 11/03/04 12:13 AM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about walking? My doxie (the 16 pound "tweener") would love to have me walk him outside about 10 hours a day and then he'd sleep the other 14 hours. He pees on nearly everything, but never lifted his leg until he saw a mini schnauzer do it. Now he is obsessed with spreading his scent!

Return to Top
#255802 - 11/03/04 03:33 AM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
I have the opposite problem. The queen of weens hates to walk outside, can't wait to get back into the house to the comfort of her pillows and MULTIPLE blankies in various spots throughout the house.

Return to Top
#255803 - 11/04/04 04:33 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

my two depend on the weather. if it's a nice sunny day, they want to stay outside. if it is raining, they want back inside in a hurry!! one of them LOVES puddles after the rain though. usually right after a bath too!

they both love their piles of pillows and bankies everywhere too. silly wieners!

Return to Top
#255804 - 11/04/04 04:37 PM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
If we leave a bed pillow where the queen of weens can get to it she crawls inside of the pillow case to sleep on the pillow. It is so funny to see her in there, and I cannot imagine that she is comfortable. But I guess it's the best of both worlds for her....on a pillow, all covered up.....

Return to Top
#255805 - 11/10/04 03:17 PM Re: Doxies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone's doxie every had what the vet tells me is a yeast infection on his chest where his front leg rubs? I originally thought he rolled in motor oil and we tried to scrub it off. It is getting worse and has rashy bumps on it now. It doesn't seem to bother him, but he hates me putting the anti-fungal cream on it that doesn't seem to be working anyway. Help!

Return to Top
#255806 - 11/10/04 03:49 PM Re: Doxies
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
that has never happened to mine, but she is very petite. the worst thing i had to deal with was a minor reaction to her shots(other than the fact that she almost died from a respiratory infection when we first got her).

does anyone clip the nails themselves? i tried it and gave up after 1 nail. it is more that worth the $12 my vet charges for this!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2