Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#256328 - 10/13/04 11:00 PM Depositing a state or federal check....
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I purchased my home in 1998, my father in law was the co-signer on the mortgage. I am now divorced and the father in law lives in Florida. I just received a check from the US Treasury for a refund of my mortgage insurance (home is now solely in MY name after a refinance) and I received a property tax rebate check. Both of these checks are made out to me and my father in law. My bank won't let me deposit the check because his name is not on my account. A check cashing place can't cash it without him being there in person, which obviously isn't going to happen. What can I do? This is a decent amount of money and it seems I cannot do anything with it. HELP!

Return to Top
#256329 - 10/14/04 02:04 PM Re: Depositing a state or federal check....
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hi Anon,
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you contacted the State dept of taxation? Here is a link NJ Taxation . I am sure that if you could provide proof that the title of the property is in your name alone, they would reissue the check. Contact them and best of luck.

Return to Top
#256330 - 10/14/04 02:54 PM Re: Depositing a state or federal check....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unfortunately, the property was in his name up until last month. So they can't reissue in my name alone. It's a bit frustrating to have money that is mine that I can't seem to get! I could really use it! LOL

Return to Top
#256331 - 11/19/04 09:07 PM Re: Depositing a state or federal check....
Starter Offline
Platinum Poster
Starter
NJ
If the property was in his name up until last month, than the check must be 50% his - right?

Return to Top