Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#257928 - 10/18/04 04:47 AM A Few College Football Questions??
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
It's hard to believe we are over half-way through the College Football season.

So far, what has been the the biggest upsets, surprises, wins, losses, etc ?

I think California and Utah being in the Top Ten is a shocker. Also Ohio State at (3-3) and out of the Top 25 as well as Nebraska. LSU's decline was a mild shocker. The Auburn Tigers (7-0) and ranked 3rd are finally doing what was expected of them last year! It looks like USC and Oklahoma down to the wire. I like the way it looks for the Sooners.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#257929 - 10/18/04 02:38 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Biggest shocker for me is Texas A&M's success. I was not surprised by Texas Tech beating Nebraska. I WAS SHOCKED BY THE SCORE!! Auburn's success surprises me. LSU's lackluster year does not surprise me. Adrian Peterson's success does not surprise me--look at his physical statistics and his speed. That guy is a freak of nature. He is huge and very fast. I am crying that he and Cedric Benson are not sharing a backfield like they were supposed to. Could you imagine? I'd dare say we'd have two thousand yard backs this year. (OK, enough ifs and buts--if we'd beaten OU last year, he would have come here.) That is off the top of my head. I am sure there are other shockers I have not thought about.

Return to Top
#257930 - 10/18/04 03:23 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
Louisville Cardinals- looks like for real unless Miami FL overrated?

My MSU Spartans- 3-1 in Big Ten with easy part of schedule coming up - Michigan, Ohio State (ohowihateohiostate)and Wisconsin. sure...

Return to Top
#257931 - 10/18/04 06:52 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Geaux Tigers - PL Offline
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
It's been an interesting year to say the least. I'd like to say I was surprised at LSU's start this year, but I'm not. Our preseason ranking was too high given the talent we lost at very key positions. But we'll be OK and should win out the rest of our games.

I think my biggest surprise is Auburn. They look great, and you're right, this is how they were suppose to play last year. Their biggest problem in my eyes has been the inconsistent play of their quarterback, who know seems to have been able to put it all together. They will be very tough for anyone to beat.
I think it comes down to USC, who really doesn't have anybody left on their schedule, and OU. OU's got a couple more somewhat tough games in Texas A&M and OSU, but they should win both of those, but they are both road games if memory serves.

Hey Z, don't worry, your Horns will go 10-1 and then probably forget to show up for their bowl game again! Mack will have some reason to keep his job because he'll win the recruiting championship again..... And of course Greg Davis will still be there!

Return to Top
#257932 - 10/22/04 07:51 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Kansas State is 2-3. They started the season #12 (I think). Yet, they will still probably beat Nebraska this weekend.

Return to Top
#257933 - 10/22/04 07:53 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

My MSU Spartans- 3-1 in Big Ten with easy part of schedule coming up - Michigan, Ohio State (ohowihateohiostate)and Wisconsin. sure...

MSU has had a good season so far...but if you think you're beating my Badgers, you're sorely mistaken....

Return to Top
#257934 - 10/22/04 09:44 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Biggest shocker for me is Texas A&M's success. I was not surprised by Texas Tech beating Nebraska. I WAS SHOCKED BY THE SCORE!! Auburn's success surprises me. LSU's lackluster year does not surprise me. Adrian Peterson's success does not surprise me--look at his physical statistics and his speed. That guy is a freak of nature. He is huge and very fast. I am crying that he and Cedric Benson are not sharing a backfield like they were supposed to. Could you imagine? I'd dare say we'd have two thousand yard backs this year. (OK, enough ifs and buts--if we'd beaten OU last year, he would have come here.) That is off the top of my head. I am sure there are other shockers I have not thought about.

I'm not shocked by A&Ms success. Fran has always done this and they have in my opinion the best qb in the Big 12. Saw him up close and personal last Saturday as they ripped my cowboys a new one. Right now I'd say they are the second best team in this conference and if I was a betting man I'd bet on them beating OU in College Station.

Return to Top
#257935 - 10/22/04 09:54 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I expected him to bring A&M back, but they were so bad last year, I did not think he could do it this year. Oh, also, I thought maybe he was cursed for what he did to Bama.

Return to Top
#257936 - 10/23/04 01:32 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I expected him to bring A&M back, but they were so bad last year, I did not think he could do it this year. Oh, also, I thought maybe he was cursed for what he did to Bama.

I wish he was cursed. They recruited a lot of talent and redshirted it. Oh well.

Return to Top
#257937 - 10/23/04 07:30 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I guess the only surprise has been Auburn. OU will be in the top ten for many years, and USC just plays too many cupcakes. Auburn is a good team, but I'm not sold on Campbell's success. If Auburn beats UGA, I'd say they're the real deal. Campbell will see the most pressure from UGA.

With the way UGA has been playing, I am not surprised that they lost to Tennessee. Not that Tennessee is better talent wise, because I don't think they are, but UGA has not been playing with the mentality of a champion. They certainly have the talent, but they lack the drive.

Return to Top
#257938 - 10/24/04 12:51 AM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Today, A&M played more like like I expected them to this season.

Return to Top
#257939 - 10/25/04 01:52 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
UGA cannot beat Florida or Auburn with all these penalties. This is really starting to get on my nerves. Greene played like a champ, the offense racked up 524 yards of total yardage, but only beat Arky by 6. This is crazy. To their credit, the Hogs came out with some fire. That team will be a force in years to come.

Return to Top
#257940 - 10/25/04 02:16 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

DawgFan - I hope you are right since I am an Arkansas Alumni, but I am afraid the recruiting cycle is out of whack. Much of the team is young, but the quarterback is a senior and there is no one to replace him. We can sure hope though! Go Hogs!!!

Return to Top
#257941 - 10/25/04 02:53 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, Grant (#8) was the defensive back who was supposed to come to UGA. He's going to be a good one. I hate that he's not at UGA, but I hope he does well at Arky. Personally, I don't think that the QB will matter. As long as you have a QB that can throw it to that big WR. It won't matter.

Return to Top
#257942 - 10/25/04 08:42 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, it appears that Zook has earned himself a pink slip. He's gone, but he'll get to stay for the rest of the season. Personally, I think the guy was given a hard time from the moment he walked in the door. This doesn't help the Dawgs much, IMHO. The Gators will likely be a little ticked off going into the game. The players will still have something to prove.

Return to Top
#257943 - 10/25/04 09:28 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Think we will see a new coach at Florida next year? Any chance they will be looking to hire back Spurrier??

Return to Top
#257944 - 10/25/04 09:34 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Think we will see a new coach at Florida next year? Any chance they will be looking to hire back Spurrier??

First choice will be Spurrier, then Bob Stoops and then Urban Meyer, in my opinion. Doubt Stoops will leave OU but Florida would be stupid to at least not ask.

Return to Top
#257945 - 10/25/04 10:05 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

Doubt Stoops will leave OU but Florida would be stupid to at least not ask.

They tried when Spurrier left didn't they? He better stay at OU. He has it pretty good here.

Return to Top
#257946 - 10/25/04 10:08 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Doubt Stoops will leave OU but Florida would be stupid to at least not ask.

They tried when Spurrier left didn't they? He better stay at OU. He has it pretty good here.

Yeah they did, but look at Roy Williams at Kansas and now UNC. He didn't want to follow a legend and the second time UNC came a calling he left. This may be what happens with Stoops, but I think it's highly unlikely he'd leave OU anytime soon.

Return to Top
#257947 - 10/25/04 10:28 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
Quote:

Kansas State is 2-3. They started the season #12 (I think). Yet, they will still probably beat Nebraska this weekend.

Nice call Swami Dave! Wasn't even close.

My turn: Spartans 24, Wolverines 21 (prediction from the heart, not the brain).

Return to Top
#257948 - 10/26/04 12:42 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Quote:

My turn: Spartans 24, Wolverines 21 (prediction from the heart, not the brain).

I don't think so.

With the emergence of Hart (have you seen his numbers the last 3 games?), the running game at Michigan is becoming a nice complement to the receiving. And the defense is solid. To have any hope of a win, State needs to pressure Henne into turnovers & mistakes. And he's remarkably cool for a true freshman - this coupled with his protection behind a veteran offensive line.

I predict a long afternoon for the Spartan defense. Michigan 35, MSU 6.

Return to Top
#257949 - 10/26/04 01:57 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
All true, Bartman. Hope it's at least closer than that. Couple turnovers, couple special teams plays, Lloyd Carr meltdown.... who knows?
At least we've had the upper hand in hoops during the past several years!

Return to Top
#257950 - 10/26/04 01:58 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

I've heard that provisions in Spurrier's contract with the Redskins prevents his return for now. That's what I've heard, I don't know how true it is. Unless Stoops is a builder, he won't go to Florida. He has the success at OU to draw a lot of players. Sure, he'd draw players to Florida, but once he has another NC or two at OU, he'll go to the NFL, not the SEC. OU is paying him big bucks, but that won't keep him there. NFL teams just have greater purchasing power and if Stoops is the guy I think he is, he won't be satisfied to stay at the college level. Sooner (no pun intended ) or later, he'll want to try his hand at an NFL head coaching gig.

Urban Meyer is a possibility. He's had success at Utah, but success in the SEC would prove him to be the real deal.

Return to Top
#257951 - 10/26/04 03:54 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Heard yesterday that Gameday is going to be in Stillwater for the Bedlam Battle. It will be crazy!

Return to Top
#257952 - 10/26/04 04:03 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

how about that penn state score this weekend? 6-4????

something needs to happen up in state college and soon!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2