Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#257953 - 10/26/04 04:09 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Heard yesterday that Gameday is going to be in Stillwater for the Bedlam Battle. It will be crazy!

Yes it should be nuts. You know they will bring up Stoops to Florida more than once. It won't happen but it could distact OU and their coaches this week.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#257954 - 10/26/04 04:21 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
BamaLaw Offline
BamaLaw
Quote:

Quote:

Think we will see a new coach at Florida next year? Any chance they will be looking to hire back Spurrier??

I've heard that provisions in Spurrier's contract with the Redskins prevents his return for now. That's what I've heard, I don't know how true it is.

Don't know any specific terms of Spurrier's separation contract with the Redskins; however, I can assure you that nothing in the contract would prevent him from taking other employment--especially outside the NFL. The worst case scenario would be that he has a separation agreement that pays him $xxxxxxx per year for X years so long as he does not take another head coaching position. Thus, he might be giving up hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of dollars if he takes the position. If that is the case, he would have to decide if it is worth giving up that much money and that much golfing time in order to go back to coach at UF. Of course, how sweet UF makes the pot would go a long way in helping him decide.

Return to Top
#257955 - 10/26/04 05:47 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Bama, I think you are right, but I guess it depends on whether or not Spurrier has gotten over coaching in the NFL. There will definitely be some openings this fall (Miami is one). He may just be biding his time.

In any case, I'm a little concerned about this game. UGA has the talent to drag Florida all over the field on Saturday, but several things concern me. One, the Florida players will likely be playing with some fire this weekend. They will feel as if they have something to prove. Also, UGA has had a horrid time with penalties. Given last week's game, I don't think that it is going to get cured in a week. Lastly, UGA has the nasty habit of getting a brain cramp over this game. They need an LSU-like performance to break out of that funk.

Hey TBB, are your Gamecocks going to help me out this weekend? We need a little help here, and both our teams could benefit if you give Tennessee a Carolina style whuppin' at the Billy Brice. Of course, we could and should have beaten UT, but the penalties killed us.

Return to Top
#257956 - 10/26/04 07:56 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

TBB here: I think the Gamecocks can win all their remaining games. We should have beaten Ole Miss! I hope we take care of the Vols for you! I'll be there making my noise!

I heard some rumours about Spurrier. I guess we all have.
About NC etc. I heard that the Florida fans want Spurrier back but maybe not the school. Don't know if that is true or not or why they wouldn't. Rumours are that Spurrier has a lake home on Lake Murray in Columbia. Rumours are a flying in Columbia that Mike Mcgee may retire. Holtz will become AD and Spurrier the new coach. No matter what it's certaing going to be interesting!!

Hey TBB, are your Gamecocks going to help me out this weekend? We need a little help here, and both our teams could benefit if you give Tennessee a Carolina style whuppin' at the Billy Brice. Of course, we could and should have beaten UT, but the penalties killed us.

Return to Top
#257957 - 10/26/04 08:39 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

Quote:

Heard yesterday that Gameday is going to be in Stillwater for the Bedlam Battle. It will be crazy!

Yes it should be nuts. You know they will bring up Stoops to Florida more than once. It won't happen but it could distact OU and their coaches this week.

The media will be all abuzz about it. And I'm sure Mack Brown would love to send Bob Florida way. But I can't see him leaving with what he has built right now.

Return to Top
#257958 - 10/26/04 09:20 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
ESPN is reporting that Spurrier has been offered the position and they have given him 24 hours to respond.

Return to Top
#257959 - 10/27/04 06:24 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Geaux Tigers - PL Offline
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
For College Football fans, and especially for Alabama fans, there was a good segment on NPR yesterday about it. If you got some time here's a link to the page and listen to the article (about 8 minutes).
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4127551

Return to Top
#257960 - 10/27/04 06:26 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Thanks, this Bama fan will listen to it when I get home.

Return to Top
#257961 - 10/27/04 08:03 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
The following just released from Norman today ---

NORMAN, Okla. -- With his name being mentioned by many in connection with a coaching vacancy at the University of Florida, Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops today issued a statement confirming his commitment to the Sooner program. His team continues preparations for Saturday's intrastate matchup with Oklahoma State.

In connection to the Florida position, Stoops said, “I have great respect for the people at Florida and a lot of good memories from my time there, but to end the speculation that is ongoing, I want to make it clear that I have no interest in the position that is currently available there. It is a privilege to be the head coach at Oklahoma and I am fully concentrating on having the best season we can have, and in building the strongest program we can build.”

Stoops was the defensive coordinator at Florida when he was hired as OU's head coach in 1999. Since then, he has led the Sooners to a record of 62-11, two Big 12 Conference championships and the 2000 national title. His current team is 7-0 and ranked No. 2 in both of the major polls and the Bowl Championship Series ratings.

Return to Top
#257962 - 10/27/04 08:31 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

The following just released from Norman today ---

NORMAN, Okla. -- With his name being mentioned by many in connection with a coaching vacancy at the University of Florida, Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops today issued a statement confirming his commitment to the Sooner program. His team continues preparations for Saturday's intrastate matchup with Oklahoma State.

In connection to the Florida position, Stoops said, “I have great respect for the people at Florida and a lot of good memories from my time there, but to end the speculation that is ongoing, I want to make it clear that I have no interest in the position that is currently available there. It is a privilege to be the head coach at Oklahoma and I am fully concentrating on having the best season we can have, and in building the strongest program we can build.”

Stoops was the defensive coordinator at Florida when he was hired as OU's head coach in 1999. Since then, he has led the Sooners to a record of 62-11, two Big 12 Conference championships and the 2000 national title. His current team is 7-0 and ranked No. 2 in both of the major polls and the Bowl Championship Series ratings.

I've been to Gainesville and I've been to Norman and I think it is safe to say that Stoops may not take the Florida job now, but he'll likely will take it in the future.

Return to Top
#257963 - 10/31/04 01:59 AM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Quote:

I predict a long afternoon for the Spartan defense. Michigan 35, MSU 6.

I stand corrected - wow, what a game! Michigan has never faired particularly well against the option, and John L. was smart to put it in.

Just like last season's Minnesota game, Michigan escapes with another one... (Go Blue!)

Return to Top
#257964 - 11/01/04 03:47 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
What a weekend for football! All Florida schools went down! And what a game between A&M and Baylor!

Return to Top
#257965 - 11/01/04 04:20 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
Quote:

Quote:

I predict a long afternoon for the Spartan defense. Michigan 35, MSU 6.

I stand corrected - wow, what a game! Michigan has never faired particularly well against the option, and John L. was smart to put it in.

Just like last season's Minnesota game, Michigan escapes with another one... (Go Blue!)

Bartman, my heart rate is just now getting back to normal. What a see-saw ride. Fantastic game, both teams can be proud of their effort. Tough break when Stanton got hurt.
Now to get the sour grapes out of my system, I guess the MSU receivers need to sign up for the Randy Moss "How To Push Off Right Before The Pass Arrives And Get Away With It" camp. Braylon Edwards sure does it well...
O.K., I feel better now!

Return to Top
#257966 - 11/01/04 05:02 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I am just disappointed there were not a couple of more upsets--Oklahoma and Michigan! Oh, so close!!

Return to Top
#257967 - 11/01/04 05:04 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
...oh, yeah, and Georgia!

Return to Top
#257968 - 11/01/04 05:42 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
OSU played a heckuva game in the second half. Had they pulled it out, they would've earned it. OU didn't play that badly, OSU just has a decent team. Of course, the miscues in the first half really opened the door for State, but that's football. Anyway, I won dinner on the game so life is good! Miami and FSU going down was ICING on an already sweet college football cake. Now, in the NFL, my teams got reamed, so it balanced out.

BOOMER......

Return to Top
#257969 - 11/01/04 07:32 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
What do you think, fellow college football fans? UGA wins out (big if, Auburn will be a tough game, but we have the team to beat them), and Auburn wins the SEC title game (Tennessee still isn't good enough to beat them), UGA earns an at-large BCS bid. UNC and Maryland, UGA fans everywhere thank you.

Return to Top
#257970 - 11/01/04 10:21 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

OSU played a heckuva game in the second half. Had they pulled it out, they would've earned it. OU didn't play that badly, OSU just has a decent team. Of course, the miscues in the first half really opened the door for State, but that's football. Anyway, I won dinner on the game so life is good! Miami and FSU going down was ICING on an already sweet college football cake. Now, in the NFL, my teams got reamed, so it balanced out.

BOOMER......

SOONER!!!

I watched the OU playback show last night and Stoops said that the films show (and Clayton confirmed) that he did not touch the ball on that punt. The ref was behind him and it looked like it. He said it wouldn't have done any good to argue about it - figured he would just get them back the next time (which he did!) There were a few missed calls on both teams which could have affected the score both ways, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes. They just better get it together for the rest of the year!

Return to Top
#257971 - 11/01/04 10:34 PM Re: A Few College Football Questions??
BamaLaw Offline
BamaLaw
Quote:

What a weekend for football! All Florida schools went down! And what a game between A&M and Baylor!

Seeing Frannie's aggies go down to lowly Baylor surely did my heart good! Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy! I do feel for the aggie players, though. It's not their fault they have such a poor excuse for a human being as their coach.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2