Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#259911 - 10/21/04 09:27 PM Do you have a degree?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
What is the highest level of education you have completed (and be honest!).
Level of Education
single choice

Votes accepted starting: 10/21/04 04:00 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#259912 - 10/21/04 09:29 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

as chris rock would say, "i gots my g-e-d! good enough diploma!"

Return to Top
#259913 - 10/21/04 09:33 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go GED heads!!

Return to Top
#259914 - 10/21/04 10:28 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
I, as they say, "got my learning from the School of Hard Knocks." I started out as a loan secretary and now I am a Lender / Vice President. Hard work pays off.

Return to Top
#259915 - 10/22/04 12:02 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
I've used this before - I have an MBA, which stands for "my battered a$$".

Return to Top
#259916 - 10/22/04 01:41 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I only have an associates degree. Some day I will go back and finish. Right now, I really see no point in finishing.

Return to Top
#259917 - 10/22/04 03:58 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I, as they say, "got my learning from the School of Hard Knocks." I started out as a loan secretary and now I am a Lender / Vice President. Hard work pays off.

It's pretty sad that some of you view not having a higher degree as some badge of honor. Yes, I agree hard work pays off but you imply that college is just something you can breeze through. I worked my tail off in college and I have worked very very hard in my career and am doing very well. Also, with my degree I didn't have to start off as a loan secretary.

Return to Top
#259918 - 10/22/04 04:03 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

It's pretty sad that some of you view not having a higher degree as some badge of honor. Yes, I agree hard work pays off but you imply that college is just something you can breeze through. I worked my tail off in college and I have worked very very hard in my career and am doing very well. Also, with my degree I didn't have to start off as a loan secretary.

Yes, I trained quite a few of you in my early years as a "loan secretary"... I'm teasing you, but I am NOT joking...it's true.

Return to Top
#259919 - 10/22/04 04:06 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see where anyone said that you don't work hard in college, or that not having a degree makes them better than those with a degree. All they were saying was that they were able to compete with persons with a degree. And by the way what is wrong with being a loan secretary?

Return to Top
#259920 - 10/22/04 04:06 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I trained quite a few of you in my early years as a "loan secretary"... I'm teasing you, but I am NOT joking...it's true.

What's your point? So you skipped college and made it. Big wup de doo! Congrats. Other people chose to expand their minds, learn more about the world and how to think before seeking a career. You didn't. Two ways to get to the same place, neither is the right way, neither is the wrong way. But for you to be so proud of NOT going to college is silly because of the way in which you imply people who go to college wasted their time. I say to you, in the same time it took for you go go from being a secretary to a lender and VP, people went to college and ended up in the same place. You just earned money and missed out on a lot of learning while working instead of studying. They paid money to party and learn instead of earning a few bucks.

Return to Top
#259921 - 10/22/04 04:11 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I probably shouldn't have voted. My degree is in music education. I'm supposed to be teaching music but am a 27 year veteran banker instead and have worn almost every banking hat.

Return to Top
#259922 - 10/22/04 04:17 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I probably shouldn't have voted. My degree is in music education. I'm supposed to be teaching music but am a 27 year veteran banker instead and have worn almost every banking hat.

Good for you. You still have a well rounded education and your entire adult life hasn't been just about work. Getting a college degree in anything other than general studies is an accomplishment and they were probably some of the best years of your life. You still bring a lot more to the banking world than someone who has just worked in one single career right out of highschool.

Return to Top
#259923 - 10/22/04 04:24 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Lady Luck, there is nothing wrong with the way you adavanced your career. Just realize people in college weren't wasting their lives away while you were working. Both groups bring something valuable to their workplace and neither path is the wrong one to take.

Return to Top
#259924 - 10/22/04 04:36 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

Lady Luck, there is nothing wrong with the way you adavanced your career. Just realize people in college weren't wasting their lives away while you were working. Both groups bring something valuable to their workplace and neither path is the wrong one to take.

I think that everyone is jumping all over poor LadyLuck for no reason at all. In no way had she intimated that a college degree was worthless or a waste, she merely made a statement that hard work pays off.
Lighten up gang!
Last edited by Devil Girl; 10/22/04 04:36 PM.

Return to Top
#259925 - 10/22/04 04:39 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think that everyone is jumping all over poor LadyLuck for no reason at all. In no way had she intimated that a college degree was worthless or a waste, she merely made a statement that hard work pays off.
Lighten up gang!

exactly. some people don't got to college because they couldn't afford it or were unable to.

oh yea, LET'S GO EAGLES!!!!

Return to Top
#259926 - 10/22/04 05:09 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Quote:

Quote:

What's your point? So you skipped college and made it. Big wup de doo! Congrats. Other people chose to expand their minds, learn more about the world and how to think before seeking a career. You didn't. Two ways to get to the same place, neither is the right way, neither is the wrong way. But for you to be so proud of NOT going to college is silly because of the way in which you imply people who go to college wasted their time. I say to you, in the same time it took for you go go from being a secretary to a lender and VP, people went to college and ended up in the same place. You just earned money and missed out on a lot of learning while working instead of studying. They paid money to party and learn instead of earning a few bucks.

My goodness Anon & Michael P. You took what I said and blew it all out of proportion! All I said is that hard work pays off. Whether that means on the job or going to college ... it is all hard work. I never implied anything negative against going to college!! You just assumed that, and you know what they say about assuming. I was just explaining my situation. I never said I was proud of not having a college education. I probably could have gone to college if I had chose to, but my life didn't work out that way.

So yes, Michael P., it is a big wup de doo to me to make it as far as I have without a college education. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a loan secretary and working your way up. Also, I do expand my mind and learn something new everyday. Not having a college education doesn't make me simple minded.

Return to Top
#259927 - 10/22/04 05:35 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Quote:

I've used this before - I have an MBA, which stands for "my battered a$$".

I will second that. I have a BS and I don't think I have to tell you what that means!!

Return to Top
#259928 - 10/22/04 05:49 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I couldn't afford college, we were poor. I am very proud that I started off as a file clerk in 1979 making $475 a month and wound up as VP of a $35 Billion bank. And one good thing about banking, Michael, is that they allowed you to continue learning on their dime. Which I took full advantage of. So I was earning money AND learning for free at the same time.

When I began my work career, women were grossly underpaid compared to the men and they did most of the work. And I wasn't kidding when I say that I (and ladies, if you are out there you know what I'm talking about) trained many "management trainees."

Just telling my side of the story...didn't mean to do anything but state a few facts. If it seemed otherwise, I'm sorry...the little "mad face" after bragging about how college kept the poster from having to start off as a loan secretary irritated me.

Return to Top
#259929 - 10/22/04 05:52 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I too started off my career in 1979 at 18 years of age as a typist making $552 a month. I remember thinking how much money that was.

My bank(s) (I've worked for several) allowed me to take AIB classes where I earned 3 certificates and then went on to get my Associates Degree. Although I know it's not a bachelors or masters, when I received it I was 38 years old and a single mother. I didn't think that was too bad.
Now I'm 43 and an AVP of Compliance. I'm still plugging away.

Return to Top
#259930 - 10/22/04 05:55 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My goodness Anon & Michael P. You took what I said and blew it all out of proportion! All I said is that hard work pays off. Whether that means on the job or going to college ... it is all hard work. I never implied anything negative against going to college!! You just assumed that, and you know what they say about assuming. I was just explaining my situation. I never said I was proud of not having a college education. I probably could have gone to college if I had chose to, but my life didn't work out that way.

So yes, Michael P., it is a big wup de doo to me to make it as far as I have without a college education. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a loan secretary and working your way up. Also, I do expand my mind and learn something new everyday. Not having a college education doesn't make me simple minded.

My apologies. I worked my butt off putting myself through college, working as a short order cook and later as a chef in a four star restaurant over 30 hours a week while taking classes. To me your original comment sounded like you thought people who went to college just had it handed to them on a silver platter....

By the way, NOONE is too poor to afford to go to college folks.

Return to Top
#259931 - 10/22/04 05:55 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I too started off my career in 1979 at 18 years of age as a typist making $552 a month. I remember thinking how much money that was.

My bank(s) (I've worked for several) allowed me to take AIB classes where I earned 3 certificates and then went on to get my Associates Degree. Although I know it's not a bachelors or masters, when I received it I was 38 years old and a single mother. I didn't think that was too bad.
Now I'm 43 and an AVP of Compliance. I'm still plugging away.

High Five Skittles from the $475 anon....

Return to Top
#259932 - 10/22/04 06:02 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Gigi2Three Offline
Gold Star
Gigi2Three
I started in banking in 1977 part time while I went to college. I CHOSE to quit college and got married. No it wasn't the easiest way to earn money, but I'm still married and never wanted to go back to school. When I went full time I made $445 a month and back then it was OK money as we had no bills. I'm glad that at least back then you could advance up through the ranks...not sure if that is really possible anymore. My suggestion would be to stay in school, but have never regretted my decision!

Return to Top
#259933 - 10/22/04 06:06 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
Quote:

But for you to be so proud of NOT going to college is silly because of the way in which you imply people who go to college wasted their time.

Those of us who succeed without going to college are proud of our success BECAUSE we get some college people that think that they are more educated, more well-rounded, and just plain 'better'. I, personally, get a little sick and tired of the ego trip.

Return to Top
#259934 - 10/22/04 06:10 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

But for you to be so proud of NOT going to college is silly because of the way in which you imply people who go to college wasted their time.

Those of us who succeed without going to college are proud of our success BECAUSE we get some college people that think that they are more educated, more well-rounded, and just plain 'better'. I, personally, get a little sick and tired of the ego trip.

As a rule, people who go to college ARE more educated (after all they spend at least 2-4 years getting more education than those who stop at HS), and they do end up more well rounded by being exposed to culture, people from different social status, foreign lands, etc.

Return to Top
#259935 - 10/22/04 06:10 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

THANK YOU! And that thinking they are better...is that BEFORE or AFTER you have to help them perform some simple task????

Return to Top
#259936 - 10/22/04 06:15 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

My apologies. I worked my butt off putting myself through college, working as a short order cook and later as a chef in a four star restaurant over 30 hours a week while taking classes. To me your original comment sounded like you thought people who went to college just had it handed to them on a silver platter....

I think that some of you were insulted and for no reason. I'm sure that Lucky Lady didn't mean anything by her comments......She wasn't waving her badge because she didn't go to college...she was merely stating her situation.....

Common guys........This is suppose to be fun....!

Hey Michael.....A Chef? What was your speciality?

Return to Top
#259937 - 10/22/04 06:17 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
Quote:

As a rule, people who go to college ARE more educated (after all they spend at least 2-4 years getting more education than those who stop at HS), and they do end up more well rounded by being exposed to culture, people from different social status, foreign lands, etc.

What's that saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't force him to drink"? Same thing...you can force a person into a different situation, there is no requirement that the student has to be open to it.
AND by the way...a person can be exposed to different cultures, social status, foriegn lands in any urban high school.

Return to Top
#259938 - 10/22/04 06:22 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Good for you. You still have a well rounded education and your entire adult life hasn't been just about work. Getting a college degree in anything other than general studies is an accomplishment and they were probably some of the best years of your life. You still bring a lot more to the banking world than someone who has just worked in one single career right out of highschool.

Thank you! That is so nice of you to say! I will say, though, that the bank DID hire me because I had a degree. They said that the completion of studies to get ANY degree shows motivation, drive and the desire to complete something long term. I really don't think a degree in finance or business or something else banking-related would have landed me any more "green" than what I currently make.

Yes. Those were good years, hard years, fun years, that I will always treasure. I graduated from college in 1977. It was a totally different world back then, in the dark ages. I occasionally visit my college campus for one reason or another. I looks pretty much the same. But every student walks across campus with a cell phone to his or her ear (when I was in college, even cordless phones had not been invented!!). These days, you practically can't survive without your own computer. We didn't know what a computer was, other than a big monster machine that took up a whole entire room. We hand wrote tests. We typed papers on a manual (not electric!!) typewriter. If you made a typo, you had to retype the whole page!! You couldn't insert new paragraphs. Ok. Enough rambling. Happy Friday.

Return to Top
#259939 - 10/22/04 06:28 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Quote:

You may have more education as far as college goes, but that DOES NOT mean you are a more well rounded person than I am because I didn't go to college. Also, there are more ways than just college to get exposure to different cultures, etc. as you have stated, however, that alone does not make you a well rounded person.

Return to Top
#259940 - 10/22/04 06:31 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

What's that saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't force him to drink"? Same thing...you can force a person into a different situation, there is no requirement that the student has to be open to it.
AND by the way...a person can be exposed to different cultures, social status, foriegn lands in any urban high school.

Give me a break. I agree that Lady Luck is being jumped on for no reason, but you can not compare any highschool to a diverse university. A person who has a college degree from a diverse university will always have a leg up on the competition if everything is equal. Experience does mean a lot more than education in the working world, but in terms of life a college education trumps working and highschool any day of the week. So many highschoolers think their senior year will be the best time of their lives. It is college by far. You get to gain valuable knowledge, make wonderful friends and live like an adult while still being a kid. It is a wonderful experience that everyone should do if given the chance.

Return to Top
#259941 - 10/22/04 06:50 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Funny how things get blown out of proportion in this forum. I read Lady Luck's posting just like everyone else and all I got out of it is that she is proud of what she has accomplished in life. There is nothing wrong with that. I think everyone in this forum is probably proud of their accomplishments. So she didn't go to college .... that does not make her less of a person. Just like going to college doesn't make you better than someone that didn't.

Return to Top
#259942 - 10/22/04 06:56 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

You may have more education as far as college goes, but that DOES NOT mean you are a more well rounded person than I am because I didn't go to college. Also, there are more ways than just college to get exposure to different cultures, etc. as you have stated, however, that alone does not make you a well rounded person.

I agree, thus the "AS A RULE" because in MOST cases, someone who goes to a university and doesn't live at home is exposed to more than someone who out of high school gets a job and enters the workplace.

Return to Top
#259943 - 10/22/04 06:58 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

I think that some of you were insulted and for no reason. I'm sure that Lucky Lady didn't mean anything by her comments......She wasn't waving her badge because she didn't go to college...she was merely stating her situation.....

Common guys........This is suppose to be fun....!

Hey Michael.....A Chef? What was your speciality?

My specialty has always been either stir fried dishes and fish. The real kitchen I worked in (I don't count line cooking etc.) I was the guy cooking up the Salmon, Catfish, etc. Of course back then, noone had things like Tilapia.... Most times I would have a side dish of stir friend veggies with the fish.

I still love cooking, and have even begun trying to learn to make sushi by myself... I bet it would be a lot easier if I got a cookbook or something

Return to Top
#259944 - 10/22/04 07:05 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

THANK YOU! And that thinking they are better...is that BEFORE or AFTER you have to help them perform some simple task????

Reminds me of that shipping co commercial (can't remember whose, think it's FedEx?) where the lady is getting ready to tell the new young guy how to ship packages and he says "But I'm an MBA" and she says "Oh. I'd better SHOW you then."

Return to Top
#259945 - 10/22/04 07:11 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I'm glad you wrote "some" college people. I'm college educated. I'm not on any kind of an ego trip. I think people confuse the words "educated" with "smart." I have five years more education than those who only completed high school. Am I smarter than all of them? Heck no! However, I AM pretty smart. But here's an example. I graduated #75 in a class of 625. Then I went to college. My husband graduated in the bottom quarter of his high school class and did NOT go to college. Brainwise, I truly think the guy is smarter, in many ways, than me. I see people here at work that are smarter than me in picking up certain job tasks or responsibilities, because those people happen to have a "knack" or interest in what they're trying to learn. I'm smarter than they are in picking up other tasks such as compliance issues. I'm definitely more educated in compliance matters than others here at the bank. That doesn't mean that they could not do just as well, or better than me if they were to try. We're all wired how we're wired.

Return to Top
#259946 - 10/22/04 07:24 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Most times I would have a side dish of stir friend veggies with the fish.

ooooh..stirred friends with the dish. Yummy!

Sorry...just couldn't resist.

Return to Top
#259947 - 10/22/04 07:40 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
Quote:

I'm glad you wrote "some" college people.

Generalization is poison!

My husband and I are not college graduates but all of our friends are. Put us together on a Trivial Pursuit (not the culture ones...those are too easy) and we have ALWAYS beaten our college friends. They USED to have this ego trip about their degrees until they got their butts handed to them by the two 'uneducated' people.
If someone wants to be educated they can be. You don't have to go to college in order to do so. College isn't for everyone and it wasn't for me.

Return to Top
#259948 - 10/22/04 08:14 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

For once I agree with you.

Return to Top
#259949 - 10/22/04 08:53 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:

Common, Michael, do you REALLY believe this?!

My daughter has about $50,000 in student loans and we helped her out significantly. Do you realize what a burden this is to start out your career carrying?

Things ain't what they used to be. Tuition is skyrocketing out of control and unless you're a Rockefeller, you're going to have problems paying for a college education.

PS - from peirogi to sushi?

Return to Top
#259950 - 10/22/04 09:31 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
I have two Masters Degrees and I'm here to tell you that I wouldn't hire most of the people I graduated with. Give me someone who knows how to learn and I don't care if they went to college or not - they're hired. College can be an indication of a person's ability to learn, but it can also be an indication of their ability to memorize answers. Life isn't a multiple choice test - it takes people who can think and learn.

Return to Top
#259951 - 10/22/04 10:25 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I have two Masters Degrees and I'm here to tell you that I wouldn't hire most of the people I graduated with. Give me someone who knows how to learn and I don't care if they went to college or not - they're hired. College can be an indication of a person's ability to learn, but it can also be an indication of their ability to memorize answers. Life isn't a multiple choice test - it takes people who can think and learn.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I have my job because of my grades and the degree I got in college. I was up against people who had a lot more experience than me in banking. They did not have the experience for this job nor the education. I had the education and some experience in banking and I was the one hired. He flat out told me that they needed someone with education and that is why I was pursued. I have since flourished and am continuously moving up. I will tell you that the people I now hire are the ones who graduated from college. I look at their resume, and the ones who have the grades, and the ones who were involved are going to be hired by me everytime over someone who has just worked at a bank since highschool. You learn so much more in college. I am amazed how many of our loan officers, who never went to college, have no idea how the operations of the bank and banking system actually work.

Return to Top
#259952 - 10/22/04 10:32 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I have my job because of my grades and the degree I got in college. I was up against people who had a lot more experience than me in banking. They did not have the experience for this job nor the education. I had the education and some experience in banking and I was the one hired. He flat out told me that they needed someone with education and that is why I was pursued. I have since flourished and am continuously moving up. I will tell you that the people I now hire are the ones who graduated from college. I look at their resume, and the ones who have the grades, and the ones who were involved are going to be hired by me everytime over someone who has just worked at a bank since highschool. You learn so much more in college. I am amazed how many of our loan officers, who never went to college, have no idea how the operations of the bank and banking system actually work.

When I say I hire them everytime I meant to say when experience for the specific job is equal. I will hire actual experience for a specific job over education. If someone has worked in loans and has a better understanding I am going to hire them over a fresh college grad if the job is in the loan deparment.

Return to Top
#259953 - 10/22/04 10:36 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I can only hope that you are careful that you do not deny a more qualified non-college graduate that is say, female, minority, over 50 or handicapped, a job position in order to choose a person with more education in general, but less knowledge and/or skill experience in the specific job at hand because, my friend, you will probably have a lawsuit on your hand. Notice I said "more qualified." The courts may have a different definition than you after hearing the facts of the case...very slippery slope to generalize as you say you do. You need to look at each applicant based on their own merit and include more than just college as your yardstick.

Return to Top
#259954 - 10/22/04 10:48 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Quote:

I will tell you that the people I now hire are the ones who graduated from college. I look at their resume, and the ones who have the grades, and the ones who were involved are going to be hired by me everytime over someone who has just worked at a bank since highschool. You learn so much more in college. I am amazed how many of our loan officers, who never went to college, have no idea how the operations of the bank and banking system actually work.

You never know, but that person who has been working in a bank since high school may have just as much of an understanding of bank operations as the college graduate. You can't just judge a person on whether they went to college or not.

I didn't begin working in a bank right after high school. I worked in an entirely different field up until I was 27 years old and relocated. It took me five years to move up from loan secretary to lender. Luckily, I have worked for people that saw my potential and gave me the opportunities to prove myself even though I didn't have a college degree.

Return to Top
#259955 - 10/22/04 10:50 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I can only hope that you are careful that you do not deny a more qualified non-college graduate that is say, female, minority, over 50 or handicapped, a job position in order to choose a person with more education in general, but less knowledge and/or skill experience in the specific job at hand because, my friend, you will probably have a lawsuit on your hand. Notice I said "more qualified." The courts may have a different definition than you after hearing the facts of the case...very slippery slope to generalize as you say you do. You need to look at each applicant based on their own merit and include more than just college as your yardstick.

As my second post states if they have the experience for that specific job then it is an entirely different story. I am not however going to hire someone, who has worked in the teller department for 10 years since he/she was out of highschool over a college grad with a business degree who specifically studied finance, for a credit analyst position.

Return to Top
#259956 - 10/22/04 10:53 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As my second post states if they have the experience for that specific job then it is an entirely different story. I am not however going to hire someone, who has worked in the teller department for 10 years since he/she was out of highschool over a college grad with a business degree who specifically studied finance, for a credit analyst position.

Sheesh! I can't type today. Hopefully my grammar will improve over the weekend. Later everyone!

Return to Top
#259957 - 10/22/04 10:57 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And that on its face sounds reasonable. But what if the same teller had been taking classes, whether paid for by the bank or not, for the last several years on the very same subjects...maybe even more specific courses in the credit analysis area (i.e. accounting, general banking, analyzing F/S, etc.) than the college grad. Just didn't have a degree. And had also proven to be a good worker, quick study, loyal to the institution (10 years you say), excellent decision making skills in their current job and trying to better themself...perhaps long overdue. Would that not also affect your decision making process?

Return to Top
#259958 - 10/23/04 03:53 AM Re: Do you have a degree?
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
On the other hand, how do you you deal with the situation that "they have been doing this" forever and that is the way it is done!I think such people need to be released as inflexible, but that is just me. Thoughts????

Return to Top
#259959 - 10/23/04 02:26 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Quote:

Give me someone who knows how to learn and I don't care if they went to college or not - they're hired.

Don't missunderstand what I'm saying here - I don't discount the value of college - I for one did not learn how to learn until I went to college. But some people never learn how to learn and some people seem to know it in Kindergarten.

The only constant in banking is change. Ten years ago we had one PC per branch, no network, no e-mail and no internet access. We still have people living in that world because they can't (won't?) learn or change. We have a senior loan officer who, when he receives an e-mail, he prints it, sticks it in his typewriter and types the answer and then sends it back in the inter-office mail. Another loan officer has all his e-mail forwarded to his assistant because he doesn't know how to open it. Both men have college degrees.

One of my degrees is in management. But if I managed today they way I was taught in grad school back in the 70's I'd get sued, fired and possibly even arrested.

I don't disrespect college graduates, but I don't instantly respect them just because they went to college.

Knowledge is the ability to recite facts.
Understnding is the ability to interpret facts.
Wisdom is the ability to apply facts to new and varied situations.

You can't have wisdom without knowledge and understanding but you can know and understand and still not be wise.

Return to Top
#259960 - 10/25/04 04:28 AM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Common, Michael, do you REALLY believe this?!

My daughter has about $50,000 in student loans and we helped her out significantly. Do you realize what a burden this is to start out your career carrying?

Things ain't what they used to be. Tuition is skyrocketing out of control and unless you're a Rockefeller, you're going to have problems paying for a college education.

PS - from peirogi to sushi?

You know what, anyone CAN go to college and afford it. I had to work my way through college, and I paid quite a pretty penny for it. Did I start out after college in debt? Yes. Have I found a way to live with paying off college loans each month? Yes. Guess what, if you give up about HALF the money that kids on the street spend on things like cigarettes, cds, beer, etc. you very quickly have hundreds of dollars a month to pay off college debt. If a child wants to go to college, don't wait until you are graduating from high school to start paying for it. I knew I was going to have to pay my way through college when I was 12. I mowed lawns, and I got my first part time job at age 14. At age 16 I was working 30-35 hours a week and going to school so that I could get in to a good PRIVATE college. I ended up transfering to a state school because I hadn't factored in the cost of books, but I paid for my tuition, my books, my room and board, everything. I had one thousand dollars in meritory scholarships, and I took out the maximum loans, which I am still paying back, but it was well worth it, and I can say I DID IT.

PS: Yes, I cook everything from Chinese to Fish to Steaks to Ribs to Pierogi and Kapusta and am now working on learning to make Sushi... It's a hobby born out of a love I found putting myself through school.

Return to Top
#259961 - 10/25/04 02:13 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greg - I'd work with you in a second - I agree with your grasp of work life, learning, and change.

Return to Top
#259962 - 10/25/04 02:18 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Greg - I'd work with you in a second - I agree with your grasp of work life, learning, and change.

DITTO, and those are the types of people I would also want to hire as well. They MUST be able to adapt quickly to change, those that don't drag everyone down....

Return to Top
#259963 - 10/25/04 03:19 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Very well said Greg!!

Return to Top
#259964 - 10/25/04 03:56 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You know what, anyone CAN go to college and afford it. I had to work my way through college, and I paid quite a pretty penny for it. Did I start out after college in debt? Yes. Have I found a way to live with paying off college loans each month? Yes. Guess what, if you give up about HALF the money that kids on the street spend on things like cigarettes, cds, beer, etc. you very quickly have hundreds of dollars a month to pay off college debt. If a child wants to go to college, don't wait until you are graduating from high school to start paying for it. I knew I was going to have to pay my way through college when I was 12. I mowed lawns, and I got my first part time job at age 14. At age 16 I was working 30-35 hours a week and going to school so that I could get in to a good PRIVATE college. I ended up transfering to a state school because I hadn't factored in the cost of books, but I paid for my tuition, my books, my room and board, everything. I had one thousand dollars in meritory scholarships, and I took out the maximum loans, which I am still paying back, but it was well worth it, and I can say I DID IT.

PS: Yes, I cook everything from Chinese to Fish to Steaks to Ribs to Pierogi and Kapusta and am now working on learning to make Sushi... It's a hobby born out of a love I found putting myself through school.

MichaelP, you are my hero. I have yet to see a post on here that you haven't done, from world traveler, to world chef to learned scholar to 12 year old yardboy. And a single father raising 2 children as well.

Michael Michael he's our man, if he can't do it, no one can...

Return to Top
#259965 - 10/25/04 03:58 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
This is a very sore spot for me.

I had a very old fashioned mom growing up. She did not believe that a woman should go to college unless she wanted to be a teacher or a nurse. She felt you were not feminine if you wanted any other profession. She forbade me to go to college (even though I had a scholarship). She would disown me if I went because, if I did persue a career, it meant my lifestyle was one she couldn't agree with. (P.S. there was nothing in my life that would lead anyone to believe I was not interested in boys!!). Also, it was assumed that, after High School, I would become a financial contributer to my family. I did not want to be a teacher (did not like kids too much), didn't want to be a nurse (didn't like blood and guts), but did want to be a teller (I did like money). So I started working at a bank and contributing a large part of my salary to the family good. Got married, had kids. But a large part of me really resented not going to college. I have been very successful in my career. But I feel very insecure about not having a degree. So now, at age 50+, I have begun college. The city college offers a special program for adults. I'm only taking one course a semister to start, but I started last September and, after this semister, I'll have 16 credits. At this point in my life, I'm not interested in a degree to further my career, just because I want one. I have no idea what I want to major in, it really doesn't matter, it can be whatever I'm interested in. I probably will be 70 when I finish.

Return to Top
#259966 - 10/25/04 04:12 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good for you!

Return to Top
#259967 - 10/25/04 05:06 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

MichaelP, you are my hero. I have yet to see a post on here that you haven't done, from world traveler, to world chef to learned scholar to 12 year old yardboy. And a single father raising 2 children as well.

Michael Michael he's our man, if he can't do it, no one can...

Actually, I never ever claimed to be a world traveler. I've studied other cultures, and have researched taking trips, but I've never been across an ocean. Yes, I have styled myself and worked hard to be a true Renaissance Man. I am a scholar, a cook, I even sew (badly), I care for two adopted children who I adopted as much because I needed them in my life as they needed me in theirs. I read every night, and most of what I read is non-fiction. I continue to take college classes and audit classes every year, despite being out of college for over a decade. Many of my best friends are teachers, anthropologists, computer programers, etc. I don't exclude anyone. So thank you, I'm glad someone, albeit with complete sarcasm and a lack of whit, recognizes the hard work I have done to learn as much as I can.

Return to Top
#259968 - 10/25/04 06:56 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

So now, at age 50+, I have begun college

Ellen, way to go. Of course, you know that we now know how old you are
Quote:

I'm only taking one course a semister to start, but I started last September and, after this semister, I'll have 16 credits

It is my experience that it takes 10 years of extremely hard work to overcome not having a college degree. It also takes having a good mentor who is willing to work with you, to take a chance on you, and to support you and fight for you. However, you will never make up the 10 years of the lower pay. Also, there are those in management ranks who feel that anyone without a college degree doesn't really belong in the "management/officer club." These neanderthal thinkers are easily recognizable, they are the ones always calling you to save their tails.

I don't have a college degree, but have worked towards one off and on for way too long. For me personally, not having one at this point in my career is neither a help nor a hindrance. At the same time, I'm telling my children the pitfalls of not having the degree. Ultimately, it is their choice on what to do.

Return to Top
#259969 - 10/25/04 08:11 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
It took me a long time to obtain my associates degree for various reasons. It is going to take me a long time to finish my Bachelor's. I am still young enough that it will hopefully come in use in the future.

I have been very lucky to have the right mentor for a boss. She has supported me throughout my career and supported me taking classes to make myself better. She has been an inspiration and among other things a friend. I don't think many can say that about their bosses.

I feel that experience is just as or perhaps, more important than a degree. I know many, many college students that got their degrees by the skin of their teeth- only because they had to. It isn't fair to those that have worked hard, or have the experience and aren't recongnized for it. Experience comes with the job. Degrees generally do not, unfortunately though- that piece of paper is worth a lot more in many cases.

Off to study!!!

Return to Top
#259970 - 10/25/04 08:22 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bank on it Offline
100 Club
Bank on it
New York

Technically, I guess that is true. My husband and I were both able to attend college, but we won't be done paying for it until we're in our fifties (we graduated in our mid twenties). We were too "poor" to pay for it, too "rich" to qualify for financial aid, and too "average" to earn a scholarship.

Return to Top
#259971 - 10/25/04 08:26 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Technically, I guess that is true. My husband and I were both able to attend college, but we won't be done paying for it until we're in our fifties (we graduated in our mid twenties). We were too "poor" to pay for it, too "rich" to qualify for financial aid, and too "average" to earn a scholarship.

I was the same way, which is why I worked so many hours while going to school. You can do it, if you put your mind to it. "I can't afford it" is an excuse for not working hard.

Return to Top
#259972 - 10/25/04 08:36 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bank on it Offline
100 Club
Bank on it
New York
"Guess what, if you give up about HALF the money that kids on the street spend on things like cigarettes, cds, beer, etc. you very quickly have hundreds of dollars a month to pay off college debt. "

We didn't use "we can't afford it" as an excuse for not having fun, either. We worked hard and played hard, too... So much "wasted money" on CD, concerts, cigarettes and beer (i'm be facicious - I don't think having fun is a waste of money, even if beer, cigarettes and music are part of the fun).

Return to Top
#259973 - 10/25/04 09:25 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

"Guess what, if you give up about HALF the money that kids on the street spend on things like cigarettes, cds, beer, etc. you very quickly have hundreds of dollars a month to pay off college debt. "

We didn't use "we can't afford it" as an excuse for not having fun, either. We worked hard and played hard, too... So much "wasted money" on CD, concerts, cigarettes and beer (i'm be facicious - I don't think having fun is a waste of money, even if beer, cigarettes and music are part of the fun).

My point was the people who SAY they can't afford it but smoke two packs a day, every day, spending close to $1000 a year just on smoking, plus drinking bear and buying all the latest CDs coming out, and spending another $1000 plus a year on lotto tickets. It's sad.

I made sure I budgetted for entertainment, and was even able to come up with dues for a fraternity. Lord knows I didn't miss out on fun.

Return to Top
#259974 - 10/25/04 09:33 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

plus drinking bear

Guess english wasn't one of your majors? Or did you go to one of those outdoorsy colleges? LOL

Seriously, the cost of college is a deterent in many cases. Student loans are harder to get (I know, I have a freshman this year), as are the grants and scholarships. If you are willing to spend 30 years paying off college debts, something is terribly wrong.

Return to Top
#259975 - 10/25/04 09:48 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Happygilmore, did you attend college on a "futbol" scholarship? I thought perhaps......since a real football is round.....

From a fellow soccer enthusiast....Of course only Americans recognize the sport as "soccer" if they recognize it at all.

Return to Top
#259976 - 10/25/04 10:03 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
beaconpaul Offline
100 Club
beaconpaul
Minnesota
I got tired of reading all this stuff about who is better for going or not going to college. the way I look at it is that you get a certain amount of time for your career, whatever that will be, and you can accomplish it a lot of different ways. Going to college is a start, just like finishing high school. The time spent in college or the equivalent time spent learning life and work not in college is the same. It's what you do with it. If you wasted your time in college and didn't leave better than you entered then you wasted your time, what a shame. If you left highschool, spent five years doing nothing but wasting time and can't look back on those five years and say you are a better person now than five years ago, again - another shame. It's true, a college degree can give you an advantage in the application process, but I almost cry when I think of all the people I knew in college, who graduated (I don't know how), and now are no better than when they entered, what a waste and a shame. When I hire, I want hard working, competent people. If they can prove it, that's all I need, that's all anyone should need. I am ranting, this is a sore spot for me too. I am a first generation college grad, and my is filled with people who did it without a degree. They may not be wealthy, but when they look back over the years, they are better, not necessarily better off, but better than when they started. By the way, I am intensely proud of my degree, a lot of people worked very hard to give me that opportunity, I didn't waste it.

Return to Top
#259977 - 10/26/04 12:16 AM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I got tired of reading all this stuff about who is better for going or not going to college. the way I look at it is that you get a certain amount of time for your career, whatever that will be, and you can accomplish it a lot of different ways. Going to college is a start, just like finishing high school. The time spent in college or the equivalent time spent learning life and work not in college is the same. It's what you do with it. If you wasted your time in college and didn't leave better than you entered then you wasted your time, what a shame. If you left high school, spent five years doing nothing but wasting time and can't look back on those five years and say you are a better person now than five years ago, again - another shame. It's true, a college degree can give you an advantage in the application process, but I almost cry when I think of all the people I knew in college, who graduated (I don't know how), and now are no better than when they entered, what a waste and a shame. When I hire, I want hard working, competent people. If they can prove it, that's all I need, that's all anyone should need. I am ranting, this is a sore spot for me too. I am a first generation college grad, and my is filled with people who did it without a degree. They may not be wealthy, but when they look back over the years, they are better, not necessarily better off, but better than when they started. By the way, I am intensely proud of my degree, a lot of people worked very hard to give me that opportunity, I didn't waste it.

Very good points. I didn't get the experience of college (went to a community college for about a year before work). I said I couldn't afford it (which Michael says isn't so) but I also had a bad home situation I had to get out of quickly...divorced mom w/new boyfriend situation about to become abusive. So I went to work and moved out.

I resented the earlier posts that said if you missed college you missed an opportunity to meet people of other cultures, etc. Well, somehow in my banking career between taking night courses (all paid for by the bank) I managed to hook up with travel groups at very economical rates for my vacations, because I DID want to experience life. I have been to mainland China, Hong Kong, 4 of the Hawaiian Islands, Austria, Germany, Amsterdam, Italy, Mexico, Ontario, San Francisco, Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon and Graceland... And I hope to travel more. I have a good friend that just moved back to her home in Maryland (where the ABA Compliance Conference is next year) and I am going to add on some vacation time to see the nation's capital as well as take the train to the Big Apple.

So, you don't HAVE to go to college to get culture. It IS all about working with what you are given. Some people are curious and excel. Others just coast through life...college or not. I've worked with some of the coasters...NO, not the musical group....

Return to Top
#259978 - 10/26/04 04:04 AM Re: Do you have a degree?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
To answer the original question:
BBA
Major:Business Admin.
Minor:Economics

I don't think I am better than someone who didn't attend college, but I am grateful for the opportunity I had, and pleased w/my time in school.

Return to Top
#259979 - 10/26/04 05:45 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
SwankyFrank Offline
100 Club
SwankyFrank
Earth
Quote:

Quote:

I don't have a degree, but I wish I did, or had at least furthered my education when I was younger. While I went through the Hard Knocks school, and was fortunate enough to have the right skill set, in the right place and at the right time, it limits how high you can climb the corporate ladder. While I am a department head with nearly 100 employees, I will go no further. Reason: No sheepskin.

If your in school now, stay there and finish. If you started but dropped out, go back. If you never did, don't wait till your 50...

If I had it to do over, I would do it a LOT differently than I did it the first time.....

Return to Top
#259980 - 10/26/04 06:29 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Well, EllenA, I'm right there with you on the parental attitude towards college. My parents never even considered the possibility that their daughter would want to attend college. When it became apparent that I did, they tried to impose rules concerning what I would major in. I found a full-time job in a bank (teller in 1980 making .25 over min wage), moved out, and began taking night classes. Banks are a great place to work if your goal is to attend college. Every bank I've ever worked for had a tuition reimbursement program. I worked my way up in the bank at the same time that I attained my Bachelors and then my Masters. One of my first supervisors in banking was a "lady" who had pulled herself up by her own bootstraps, thank you very much, did it without a college degree and didn't think one was necessary. She made fun of me every day for making the effort to attend college at night to earn my degree - who DID I think I was? I surpassed her achievements years ago. The degree alone will maybe get your foot in the door. Experience alone will maybe get your foot in the door. An ongoing love of learning, the ability to learn and adapt to a changing environment, the willingness to work hard - these are the attributes that will aid you in your career.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#259981 - 10/26/04 06:34 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Well, as I stated, I don't have a degree and that was my choice. I do commend all of you that did go to college. However, it was not for me, and I have no regrets about it. I have a great life and a great job.

Return to Top
#259982 - 10/27/04 04:47 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
Quote:

Getting a college degree in anything other than general studies is an accomplishment

Sorry, but getting a degree in general studies is ALSO an accomplishment. Why would you think otherwise?

Return to Top
#259983 - 10/27/04 07:42 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

and they do end up more well rounded by being exposed to culture, people from different social status, foreign lands, etc.

Michael, I don’t have a degree. I worked so my spouse could get his degree (live and learn!) I’d agree with Happy. I worked about 10 years more to get where I am because of the lack of a degree. We all make choices, and mine led me to work harder to get where I am. On the other hand, my brother has a doctorate. He earns a little more than me, but not a great deal more. His educational path took him on a career path that is not high paying, but highly rewarding. We all make choices again J He doesn’t think my choice is any better, or worse than his.

As to your remark above: My little brother has MANY years more of schooling than I have, but he wouldn’t be arrogant enough to tell you that he is “more well rounded” than I am. I have watched the Austrian Opera live from the most wonderful opera house in the world. I chatted about it with the German gentleman sitting next to me. I was traveling with a Russian lady and her Italian sweetheart. I’ve eaten foods in France I couldn’t possibly identify, and done the same in Eskimo communities in the arctic that outsiders rarely enter. I’ve been lost in Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxemburg, Holland…England, ok lost in a great deal of places J and enjoyed every minute of finding my way back to where I was traveling by dealing with the people of the countries in which I traveled. I’ve seen many different religions first hand and experienced rich and poor from many nations.

My little brother is an expert on the importation of rare art from foreign countries and the study of architectural history. He’s a great guy! His experiences and his willingness to learn from ALL walks of life, make him a very well rounded person, but no more well rounded than I am.

I have a very high respect for folks who work like my brother did to attain their degree. But the highest respect is reserved for people who attain their degrees, while understanding that they are no better, and no worse than those who do not take their road as they travel through life.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#259984 - 10/27/04 07:55 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

and they do end up more well rounded by being exposed to culture, people from different social status, foreign lands, etc.

Michael, I don’t have a degree. I worked so my spouse could get his degree (live and learn!) I’d agree with Happy. I worked about 10 years more to get where I am because of the lack of a degree. We all make choices, and mine led me to work harder to get where I am. On the other hand, my brother has a doctorate. He earns a little more than me, but not a great deal more. His educational path took him on a career path that is not high paying, but highly rewarding. We all make choices again J He doesn’t think my choice is any better, or worse than his.

As to your remark above: My little brother has MANY years more of schooling than I have, but he wouldn’t be arrogant enough to tell you that he is “more well rounded” than I am. I have watched the Austrian Opera live from the most wonderful opera house in the world. I chatted about it with the German gentleman sitting next to me. I was traveling with a Russian lady and her Italian sweetheart. I’ve eaten foods in France I couldn’t possibly identify, and done the same in Eskimo communities in the arctic that outsiders rarely enter. I’ve been lost in Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxemburg, Holland…England, ok lost in a great deal of places J and enjoyed every minute of finding my way back to where I was traveling by dealing with the people of the countries in which I traveled. I’ve seen many different religions first hand and experienced rich and poor from many nations.

My little brother is an expert on the importation of rare art from foreign countries and the study of architectural history. He’s a great guy! His experiences and his willingness to learn from ALL walks of life, make him a very well rounded person, but no more well rounded than I am.

I have a very high respect for folks who work like my brother did to attain their degree. But the highest respect is reserved for people who attain their degrees, while understanding that they are no better, and no worse than those who do not take their road as they travel through life.

You know, if you paid attention, you would see that I said AS A RULE people who go to college are exposed to more. There are exceptions. But by the numbers it is true.

Return to Top
#259985 - 10/27/04 09:13 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
If you read the posts Michael, your numbers don't hold up. There are some awfully "well rounded" folks here who didn't further their education in the same manner as you have. It's only a rule if you can prove it, and it's not looking good at this point.

Shake hands and call it quits shall we? Can't you agree that being well rounded has nothing to do with a visit to a university, and everything to do with how one chooses to experience life?

Return to Top
#259986 - 10/27/04 09:23 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I’ve been lost in Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxemburg, Holland…England, ok lost in a great deal of places J and enjoyed every minute of finding my way back to where I was traveling by dealing with the people of the countries in which I traveled

Dawnie, if you were a man, you would have simply asked for directions...

Return to Top
#259987 - 10/27/04 09:23 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

If you read the posts Michael, your numbers don't hold up. There are some awfully "well rounded" folks here who didn't further their education in the same manner as you have. It's only a rule if you can prove it, and it's not looking good at this point.

Shake hands and call it quits shall we? Can't you agree that being well rounded has nothing to do with a visit to a university, and everything to do with how one chooses to experience life?

Dawnie, listen to yourself. The numbers don't add up? How many people on WELFARE didn't go to college and aren't WORKING IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY?

We are dealing with people on this forum who DID make it, so you don't see the people who didn't make it here.

Yes, in the financial industry, of the members of BOL, those that didn't go to college have become well rounded. Why? Because they overcame the hardships that come with becoming more aware without going to college. However, in the NATION, the rule stands.

Return to Top
#259988 - 10/27/04 09:27 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
So everyone on Welfare is not well rounded? Everyone! 100% of the people? What is well rounded Michael? Please define it so we can research the studies ok?

Quote:

Dawnie, if you were a man, you would have simply asked for directions...

LOL my ex did in Germany. Only we don't speak German...so the directions were useless. I found this change in the "men don't ask directions rule" to be interesting. They will ask, but only if there is a 100% chance of them not understanding the answer

Return to Top
#259989 - 10/27/04 09:29 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Michael, by who's definition of well rounded? Yours? Mine? Dawnies? Or by well rounded do you mean "cultured?" I'm sure that many people who are on welfare have experienced things that you and I have never, nor will ever, experience. That makes them well-rounded doesn't it? I don't know how to get a WIC card, apply for goivernment subsidies, welfare, or unemployment. Does that mean I'm not well rounded?

I used to teach adults to read, and some of the most well-rounded people I have ever met couldn't read a lick. But their jobs had taken them the world over, they had seen cultures I will never see, eaten food I wouldn't even begin to imagine, had lived in some of the most exotic countries in the worl (ever hear of the country of Moostang? I hadn't, but I had a 57 year old illiterate man who lived there for 4 years).

I find that I need to side with Dawnie on this one...your numbers don't add up.

Return to Top
#259990 - 10/27/04 09:38 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Wow...I cannot believe the life this thread took on. I was only curious about how many degreed bankers there are out there.

Next time, I will keep my questions to myself...

Return to Top
#259991 - 10/27/04 09:43 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
LOL AGJ Maybe stick to questions like I'm going to ask next ::running out to post a thread:: heh heh

Return to Top
#259992 - 10/27/04 09:44 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

my few cents.

Those without a degree should not be so proud of themselves that they did not go to college ...
Those with a degree should not think they are any better than those without one.

What if you have a college degree and you were well rounded (Dawnie's defition)....are they any better than those well rounded without a degree ....Come on.. where does it stop??

You are who you are and should compare yourself to yourself not to the others...after all whereever you went to college, how much you traveled.. only benefits YOU..

Return to Top
#259993 - 10/27/04 10:03 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Those without a degree should not be so proud of themselves that they did not go to college ...
Those with a degree should not think they are any better than those without one.

I've attended college but did not finish. I'm no more proud that I don't have a degree than I am ashamed that I don't have one...I choose not to let a piece of paper stop me. I also choose not to let others stop me who think that piece of paper is worth more than I am...

Return to Top
#259994 - 10/27/04 10:20 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

I also choose not to let others stop me who think that piece of paper is worth more than I am...

But Happy...what if it was a Million dollar bill?

Return to Top
#259995 - 10/27/04 10:51 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

But Happy...what if it was a Million dollar bill?

A mere pittance, my dear (to quote Thurston Howell III)

Return to Top
#259996 - 10/27/04 11:16 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Dawnie, listen to yourself. The numbers don't add up? How many people on WELFARE didn't go to college and aren't WORKING IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY?

We are dealing with people on this forum who DID make it, so you don't see the people who didn't make it here.

Yes, in the financial industry, of the members of BOL, those that didn't go to college have become well rounded. Why? Because they overcame the hardships that come with becoming more aware without going to college. However, in the NATION, the rule stands.

Ever hear of Bill Gates???

Return to Top
#259997 - 10/28/04 02:04 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

College can be an indication of a person's ability to learn, but it can also be an indication of their ability to memorize answers. Life isn't a multiple choice test - it takes people who can think and learn.

My goodness! What college did you attend? I was an A-B student in high school. High school studies IN NO WAY compare or, in most cases, prepare you for college. All of of sudden, you're plunged into the world of higher education where no one holds your hand. The professors who give a rip about any other class, any problems you may be facing, any difficulties you are having with your studies are few and far between. The little high school clicks you may have been used to are gone (unless you join a social sorority or fraternity). Please don't insinuate that college is a piece of cake. College makes high school look like child's play.

Now don't get me wrong. I DO NOT think I am better than those who did not go to college. But don't be naive enough to think that college isn't tough and that I'm not immensely proud of my degree as a personal accomplishment.

I've read this entire thread and it seems like there are far more defensive posts from those that did not attend college than there are posts from college grads who think they are better than those who did not. Leave the high school attitude at home and quit being so defensive. You are a banking professional and it really doesn't matter how got there as long as you're happy.

Return to Top
#259998 - 10/28/04 03:11 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

The little high school clicks

Too bad that spelling isn't a college course...cliques

Return to Top
#259999 - 10/28/04 03:22 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Touche'.....

Sorry, I wasn't in a clique so I've never had to spell it.

Thanks for enlightening me. See? Just because one obtained a degree doesn't mean that one knows it all.....far from it!

Actually, I'm a very good speller. Believe it or not.

Return to Top
#260000 - 10/28/04 09:39 PM Re: Do you have a degree?
RUNSWITHSCISSORS Offline
Platinum Poster
RUNSWITHSCISSORS
me two,its mi tiping that SUX!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4