Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#261902 - 10/27/04 04:56 PM Anon users
CUgirl Offline
Gold Star
South Mississippi
Can someone tell me why BOL lets unregistered people post? Anons do nothing but stir up trouble.
If you make a comment about something, OWN IT!!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#261903 - 10/27/04 04:58 PM Re: Anon users
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Can someone tell me why BOL lets unregistered people post? Anons do nothing but stir up trouble.
If you make a comment about something, OWN IT!!

I have been unable to post under my registered name from work, so I fill in the username field with my new name instead of leaving it anon. if people who can't register start doing that, it would make things easier.

Return to Top
#261904 - 10/27/04 04:59 PM Re: Anon users
Peridot Offline
100 Club
Rural Minnesota
I totally agree!!! If you believe you have something worth taking the time to post, then own up to it!!!

Return to Top
#261905 - 10/27/04 05:20 PM Re: Anon users
Gigi2Three Offline
Gold Star
Gigi2Three
I believe in another post there were references to the "couch" forum. A lot of people post anon there because they actually need the anonymity with some of their very personal concerns.

Return to Top
#261906 - 10/27/04 05:50 PM "Registered" users are still Anon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Given that majority of the folks registered are essentially anon what's the beef?

Go ahead, check out the profiles of "registered" users. Most list the state and their position in the bank they work in. One has a location of "earth". Dawnie and a very few other folks have any information that truly identifies them.

So, until then, I'm anon as most "registed" users are (without the self righteousness).

Anon 42

Return to Top
#261907 - 10/27/04 06:25 PM Re: Anon users
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Registered users protect their identity from the general public and from the media (when they post something about their bank). (The media quoted a registered user in the past leading a rush to delete identifying information.) These people are not anonymous though--the other BOL users at least have a consistent name to keep accountable. And because they are registered the moderators can hold them responsible for their actions a little better. With an Anon all the moderators know is an IP address. That is not much to go on when trying to hold someone accountable--it could be anyone at that IP address.

Registered user are not self-righteous as some allege. We are however willing to subject ourselves to the control of the owners of this forum. We also allow ourselves to build a history.

Some folks appreciate the history I have and other don't. I am big enough to live with that. (Admittedly, I enjoy using this forum as a debate forum and often do not sugar coat things like I might in person.)

If someone has a problem with something posted, I hope they'd have the decency to talk to that user privately through a PM and not publicly chastise them. Usually, it can be worked out without involving a moderator. If not, email a moderator and let them take care of it. There is no reason to get into protracted arguments in a thread.

Return to Top
#261908 - 10/27/04 06:45 PM Re: "Registered" users are still Anon
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
But you're not anon. You've differentiated yourself from the others by going as Anon 42 which allows me to talk directly to you. Some of us choose names. You chose a number. Whatever works!

See it doesn't take much to take responsibility for yourself and retain the anonymity you seek.

Return to Top
#261909 - 10/27/04 06:47 PM Re: Anon users
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, but anyone can type in Anon 42 in the user name, so this really doesn't mean it is them. BTW, this is Happy Gilmore proving my point.

Return to Top
#261910 - 10/27/04 06:47 PM Re: Anon users
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
To Anon posters: I know that sometimes you think your question is dumb or has been asked before, and don't want your name shown. But, as the saying goes, there are no dumb questions, except for the one not asked. No one here will think any less of you for trying to learn something. Please register.

Return to Top
#261911 - 10/27/04 06:47 PM Re: Anon users
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
To Anon posters: I know that sometimes you think your question is dumb or has been asked before, and don't want your name shown. But, as the saying goes, there are no dumb questions, except for the one not asked. No one here will think any less of you for trying to learn something. Please register.

Return to Top
#261912 - 10/27/04 07:02 PM Re: Anon users
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Nanwa obviously feels strongly about that (ya posted twice silly girl)

Actually, I've asked a couple of questions using an Anon verses my registered personality. They were questions I didn't want my examiner to comment on. Sometimes I also see folks who ask questions that would possibly result in a bad immage for their bank if the question were attached to them (i.e. The president of my bank hates doing loans in "that" neighborhood. HE's drawn a red line around that area of the assessment area...Is this bad?)

So, anon has a place, but perhaps not in the water cooler (though it's much easier than being attacked because they can identify you!)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#261913 - 10/27/04 07:09 PM Re: Anon users
Anonymous
Unregistered

The purported concern and/or outrage over anonymous posters has been exhaustively discussed in numerous previous threads. Realistically, it is understandable in the business subject threads (e.g., CIP, operations, technology, security, audit, etc.) that it is much more effective when posters use their registered identity, or at least register in the event that they are not already a registered BOL contributor. However, in the Watercooler and on the Couch it is, like most professional blog sites, not unusual or offensive if a posting is anonymous. The chief concern should be whether the contributor offers and supports a position in a meaningful manner; offers professional, polite and useful assistance to other posters; and that the anonymous poster demonstrates proper comportment and adherence to the BOL guidelines.

Frankly, many of the anonymous posters are able to log in and out of their registered to unregistered status, so it is not as though the poster is brand new to the site. And not all registered posters are consistent in the value they provide as posters, so the issue comes down to whether you are an effective writer who can offer value to a financial services colleague -- not whether you register.

I can spot good writing, intelligence, and meaningful discussion based on what is said and how it is said -- registered or otherwise.

Return to Top
#261914 - 10/27/04 07:17 PM Re: Anon users
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Quote:

Actually, I've asked a couple of questions using an Anon verses my registered personality. They were questions I didn't want my examiner to comment on.

Like Dawnie, I've posted "anon" in other threads because I didn't want an examiner or other officers at my bank to know I was asking the question. However, I have never posted as "anon" in this thread - it would be nice if this thread could be restricted to registered users.

Return to Top
#261915 - 10/28/04 03:41 AM Re: Anon users
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
Yes, but then we would've missed out on the who married/slept with their boss thread!

I think it would be nice if people just weren't hateful!

Return to Top
#261916 - 10/28/04 03:00 PM Re: Anon users
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Actually, I've asked a "couple" of questions using an Anon verses my registered personality.

You once said you've never posted Anon. A "couple" of times posting Anon is not bad. It's just that your Anon posts are so stinging.

Return to Top