Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#264698 - 10/29/04 03:09 PM CRA Loan Type
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
I have looked at the CRA Loan Info Sheet available in the tools section and I have a couple of questions. In the section indicating CRA type...
1) Can a CRA type loan classified as "other business loan", be secured by residential real estate?
2) Can a CRA type loan classified as "business loan" be an auto or truck loan to a business or individual for business purpose?

I cannot find either of these as options in my preparations to report as a large bank.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
CRA
#264699 - 10/29/04 04:21 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
A CRA Loan Type code 3 "Lines or loans for Other Business Purpose can be collateralized by residential property. You should code these as a 3 and ask examiners to consider them for additional CRA credit. When a loan officer has the "Abundance of Caution" syndrom and takes an SFR as collateral, on an otherwise Small Business loan, this is how you would code them.

Can Small Business loans be autos or trucks IMO yes. Just because it is a consumer loan doesn't mean it can't be a Small Business/Farm loan.

Return to Top
#264700 - 10/29/04 06:20 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
This is what I have on my input sheet for CRA type (I am trying to tie it to our internal purpose codes to make things easier)
01- Business Loan – Loan amount is $1 million or less. Include Loans and Lines of Credit, Equipment, Dealer Floor Plans, and loans to finance construction that are not secured by real estate. Not secured by real estate. Purpose Code 510

01 Other Business Loan – Loan amount is $1million or less. Loan secured by real estate or other liens on business and industrial properties, churches, educational/charitable institutions, clubs/lodges, “homes” for aged persons, golf courses, hospitals, dormitories, recreational facilities, and similar properties. Purpose Code 170

02 Farm Loan – Loan amount is $500,000 or less. Collateral is farmland and improvements thereon. Farmland includes all land known to be used or usable for agricultural purposes, such as crop and livestock production. Farmland includes grazing or pasture land, whether tillable or not and whether wooded or not. Purpose Code 120

02 Other Farm Loan – Loan amount is $500,000 or less. Loan to finance agricultural production and other loans to farmers. Includes loans made for the purpose of financing agricultural production, loans to farmers for purchases of farm machinery, equipment, and implements, and loans to farmers for all other purposes associated with the maintenance or operations of the farm, including purchasing of private passenger automobiles and other retail consumer goods and provisions for the living expenses of farmers or ranchers and their families. Not secured by real estate. Purpose Code 410

03 Other Lines/Loans for Small Business Purposes – Loans made to small businesses secured by residential real estate.

Community Development –
(1) Business loans over $1 million that have a community development benefit, or
(2) HMDA reported loans that have a community development benefit, or
(3) Business loans secured by residential property – purpose has a community development benefit,or
(4) Construction loans with a community development benefit

Other Loans Not Elsewhere Classified - Business purpose loans and Construction loans over $1 million. Also report Letters of Credit and construction loans under $1 million that are NOT community Development.

Am I on the right track?
Last edited by Joey's Mom; 10/29/04 06:35 PM.

Return to Top
#264701 - 10/29/04 06:41 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Quote:

Can Small Business loans be autos or trucks IMO yes. Just because it is a consumer loan doesn't mean it can't be a Small Business/Farm loan.

Since these are not reported on the call report do we use CRA type code 05?

As far as optional loan types... if we choose to report type 03 does that mean we must also report all other optional types too? Or is we report business auto loans do we have to report all auto loans?

Return to Top
#264702 - 10/29/04 07:05 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm new to this CRA reporting - and I see you have referenced designated 'type' codes for CRA. Where can I find these desingated codes and a definition? Thanks!!

Return to Top
#264703 - 10/29/04 07:13 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
I am still very new to large bank and obviously still figuring things out. But start with FFIEC's A Guide to CRA Data Collection and Reporing

I also downloaded the data entry software from the ffiec and started reading anything and everything. Good luck!

Return to Top
#264704 - 10/29/04 09:40 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Quote:

Yes and it is not then reportable as a small business loan.

You are not required to report Consumer loan. Only Small Business and Small Farm loans. Reporting consumer loans is optional. (If you don't have to suggest don't)

If you elect to report consumer loans as in Auto CRA Type 5 then report all type 5 loans.

You can input your CRA loan type 3 to the government software. When you make your submission you can report Small Business/Farm loans, CRA Type 1 and 2 loans only. You then have a record of the type 3's which can be printed out and presented to the examiners at a later time for consideration.

Because you input type 3 does not mean you have to report all consumer loans. Remember you do not have to report consumer loans at all.

Small Business Loans should have a Small Business Call Code either 1E Secured by Non Farm Non Residential Properties, or 4A Commercial and Industrial Loans Not Real Estate Secured.

Return to Top
#264705 - 11/01/04 05:35 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm reading the reg and the Q&A...but I can't find any reference to the actual 'type codes' and their definition. Is this stuff only in the filing software? Thanks for any clarification!

Return to Top
#264706 - 11/01/04 06:11 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
You can find all the codes used for reporting in the HELP file of the software.

CRA Loan Type

1=Small Business
2=Small Farm
3=Other lines and loans for purpose of small business
4=Home Equity
5=Auto
6=Credit Card
7=Other secured consumer loans
8=Other unsecured consumer loans
9=Other Loan Data

Return to Top
#264707 - 11/01/04 06:25 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

CRA Loan Type

1=Small Business
2=Small Farm
4=Home Equity
5=Auto
6=Credit Card
9=Other Loan Data

While you can collect all of the above types of data, the only ones that are reported are types 01 and 02.

Return to Top
#264708 - 11/01/04 06:27 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Quote:

Quote:

CRA Loan Type

1=Small Business
2=Small Farm
4=Home Equity
5=Auto
6=Credit Card
9=Other Loan Data

While you can collect all of the above types of data, the only ones that are reported are types 01 and 02.

To be totally accurate, you must report types 01 and 02. You may report the others, at your option. If your institution does little or no business lending, you'll want to strongly consider reporting your other loan types.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#264709 - 11/01/04 06:50 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CRA Loan Type

1=Small Business
2=Small Farm
4=Home Equity
5=Auto
6=Credit Card
9=Other Loan Data

To be totally accurate, you must report types 01 and 02. You may report the others, at your option. If your institution does little or no business lending, you'll want to strongly consider reporting your other loan types.

Exports sent to the regulators only include types 01 and 02. You may collect the others, but they are not transmitted.

Return to Top
#264710 - 11/01/04 08:26 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you all, I was going blind trying to find it in the regulation - you'd think they might consider following HMDA format, when providing codes/definitions - but oh well. Thanks again!

Return to Top
#264711 - 11/03/04 01:57 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Exports sent to the regulators only include types 01 and 02. You may collect the others, but they are not transmitted.

You are splitting hairs. If you might want other loans considered, and many do, the loans need to be coded up front and logged and checked or it would be a nightmare.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#264712 - 11/03/04 02:35 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

You are splitting hairs. If you might want other loans considered, and many do, the loans need to be coded up front and logged and checked or it would be a nightmare.

Andy, I am not splitting hairs, I am clarifying. I have worked with several banks that were unclear on this, so I felt explaining my earlier comment was important.

Return to Top
#264713 - 11/03/04 05:23 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Sorry. I just didn't want it to sound as though there was no need to collect this data and log it. The bank has to go into this knowing if it wants that data, before the exam starts.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#264714 - 11/03/04 05:35 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Sorry. I just didn't want it to sound as though there was no need to collect this data and log it. The bank has to go into this knowing if it wants that data, before the exam starts.

Absolutely! I totally agree. If they are going to collect this data, they need to start in January and keep up with it all year long unless they make very few very large loans!

Return to Top
#264715 - 11/07/05 06:17 PM Re: CRA Loan Type
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

You may have to recode these loans and change your call report. We did. We were told that if the auto or truck loan was to a business (usually titled in the business name) then it is a business loan and should be call reported and reported for CRA as such.

Return to Top