Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#269091 - 11/01/04 02:04 PM will it really end tomorrow?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I'm referring to the bickering, squabbling, name calling, flag waving, candidate shuffling posts. Several of you have posted that you can't wait until the election is over so that things will get back to normal here in BOL land. My questions is...do you really think it will end tomorrow?

I don't. Regardless of who wins and who loses, look for a legal challenge to votes. Sadly, this has become commonplace in almost every election, the loser challenging the winner by lawsuit. I guess integrity goes out the window when you decide to run.

One party has already said they have over 10,000 attorneys standing by ready to challenge voter irregularities tomorrow (I think that Ex-Lax would take care of that irregularity). I'm not sure what the attorneys can do, except take notes, as courts across the country are closed for election day and no challenges can be filed until Wednesday.

This elcetion won't be dedcided for a long while. That's just my take on things.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#269092 - 11/01/04 02:07 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Tomorrow is just the beginning of the court case(s).

Return to Top
#269093 - 11/01/04 02:15 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
As long as Bush gets 300 electoral votes, Kerry won't sue.

Return to Top
#269094 - 11/01/04 02:52 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
It won't end until late November after the electoral college votes, and then Kerry sues, with his VP as his attorney.

My only question is, how many veterans are considering assassinating Kerry if he's elected. I watched Stolen Honor this weekend, and have talked with vets here in Cincinnati, and some of them are pretty hot over the idea that Kerry could be elected.

Return to Top
#269095 - 11/01/04 02:55 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof (White House).
-John Adams, 2nd US President, and the first one to live in the White House
(1735-1826)

Quote:

how many veterans are considering assassinating Kerry if he's elected.

MP,this is not appropriate, no matter how p'd off you are.

Return to Top
#269096 - 11/01/04 02:57 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof (White House).
-John Adams, 2nd US President, and the first one to live in the White House
(1735-1826)

Quote:

how many veterans are considering assassinating Kerry if he's elected.

MP,this is not appropriate, no matter how p'd off you are.

It's inappropriate of me to ask the question? I'm not p'd off, and I don't endorse it. I simply wonder how many vietnam vets who hate kerry might be considering it. The question is out there, and I hope it doesn't happen, but the fact is, there are some very upset veterans out there, people who believe Kerry stole their honor and dignity, who feel he doesn't belong in the white house, and who have military training. Some of these people are also nutjobs who might just try something.

Of course that being said, as volitile as this entire election has been, George W. Bush may be in danger as well if he is elected.

Return to Top
#269097 - 11/01/04 04:09 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I received a website to help you find your polling place. It is called my polling place . They are run by the "nonpartisan" group called Election Protection. They are so nonpartisan that they are endorsed by these groups :

Election Protection draws its strength from a coalition of more than 100 national, state and local partners. Coalition partners include: People For the American Way Foundation, the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, NAACP, the Voter Protection Project of America’s Families United, the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation, the AFL-CIO, the Advancement Project, Working Assets, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the National Council of La Raza, the NAACP National Voter Fund, the League of United Latin American Citizens, the League of Women Voters and Common Cause. The American Bar Association, the National Bar Association, and the Hispanic Bar Association have all endorsed this vital initiative that goes to the heart and soul of our democracy.

Hmmm!? I don't see any groups that are not left of center here. Is that what they call nonpartisan???

Return to Top
#269098 - 11/01/04 04:13 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Anonymous
Unregistered

All kidding aside, be careful with comments like this MP. I have heard urban legends about the secret service investigating comments like these.

Return to Top
#269099 - 11/01/04 04:17 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
RUNSWITHSCISSORS Offline
Platinum Poster
RUNSWITHSCISSORS
Thanks to the Patriot Act!

Return to Top
#269100 - 11/01/04 04:24 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I can't wait for the bumper stickers...
Don't blame me I voted for $%#*

Return to Top
#269101 - 11/01/04 04:24 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

And the fluoride in the water.

Return to Top
#269102 - 11/01/04 04:32 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

All kidding aside, be careful with comments like this MP. I have heard urban legends about the secret service investigating comments like these.

Bring it on. I invite a secret service investigation since I have no intention whatsoever of any involvement or encouragement of such a tactic. Is it a crime to consider what might happen? Is it a crime to wonder if the terrorists will attempt to get rid of Bush if he wins? No.
There is a LONG and HUGE gulf between worrying about someone attempting to assassinate a president and encouraging it/soliciting it.

Return to Top
#269103 - 11/01/04 04:33 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Having grown up near Chicago the "grave yard" vote has always been a standing joke, but his year. . .

Both CNN and Fox News had reports this morning about people who have voted early and died. Most states require voters to be alive on election day.

Both networks brought up the issue of absentee ballots cast by servicemen & women who have been KIA since mailing their ballots.

I can't imagine that it would be enough votes to make a difference either way, but throw it in the mix with other "irregularities" and the lawyers are going to have a field day.

In an earlier thread I said we wouldn't know until the week of 11/29. I have not seen anything to change my mind.

Return to Top
#269104 - 11/01/04 04:35 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
RUNSWITHSCISSORS Offline
Platinum Poster
RUNSWITHSCISSORS
Thanks for being so concerned.

Fluoridation / Fluoride
Toxic Chemicals In Your Water

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: For more information on health-building techniques, please see the Holistic Healing Web Page.

Fluoride compounds which are put in water (fluoridation), toothpaste and supplement tablets (including some vitamins) were never tested for safety before approval. Recent independent research by scientists not associated with dental trade organizations has shown the following:

Neurotoxic and Lowers IQ
In 1995, neurotoxicologist and former Director of toxicology at Forsyth Dental Center in Boston, Dr. Phyllis Mullenix published research showing that fluoride built up in the brains of animals when exposed to moderate levels. Damage to the brain occured and the behavior patterns of the animals was adversely effected. Offspring of pregnant animals receiving relatively low doses of fluoride showed permanent effects to the brain which were seen as hyperactivity (ADD-like symptoms). Young animals and adult animals given fluoride experienced the opposite effect -- hypoactivity or sluggishness. The toxic effects of fluoride on the central nervous system was subsequently confirmed by previously-classified government research. Two new epidemiological studies which tend to confirm fluoride's neurotoxic effects on the brain have shown that children exposed to higher levels of fluoride had lower IQs.

A study published in Brain Research shows that rats drinking only 1 part per million fluoride (NaF) in water had histologic lesions in their brain similar to Alzheimer's disease and dementia. In addition, evidence was seen pointing to possible damage to the blood brain barrier from extended fluoride exposure. This study was the third in a series of papers published by Varner et al. Brain Research Vol. 784 No. 12 p 284-298 (1998). Results of this recent study and other studies showing significant dangers from low-level fluoride exposure were presented at a recent scientific symposium.

Causes Cancer
The Department of Health in New Jersey found that bone cancer in male children was between two and seven times greater in areas where water was fluoridated. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) researchers confirmed the bone cancer-causing effects of fluoride at low levels in an animal model. A new study has shown that fluoridation of water is linked to uterine cancer deaths.

Changes Bone Structure and Strength
Fluoride gradually builds up in the bones and causes adverse changes to the bone structure. Quite a few studies have shown that fluoridation leads to increases in hip fractures. The tensile strength of the hip is destroyed over time by fluoride ingestion.

Causes Birth Defects and Perinatal Deaths
A toxicologist in the United Kingdom recently found that perinatal deaths in a fluoridated area was 15% higher than in neighboring non-fluoridated areas. The fluoridated area had a higher socio-economic status and would have been expected to have less perinatal deaths. The fluoridated area also had a 30% higher rate of Down's Syndrome. Chile banned fluoridation because of research by the world-reknowned researcher, Dr Albert Schatz, which showed a link to infant deaths due to fluoridation.

Proven Ineffective
Fluoride compounds in water and in supplements do not provide any significant cavity-protecting effects. All of the recent large-scale studies of water fluoridation have shown that there are no positive effects. That is why countries without fluoridation have shown an equal improvement in dental health as those with fluoridation. Even pro-fluoridation scientists admit that there is not any properly-conducted research showing that fluoride supplements help prevent cavities. (Note: check vitamins carefully to be sure they do not include fluoride.)

Impairs Immune System
Independent research has shown that fluoride impairs the functioning of the immune system. In the United States, where toxic fluoride compounds are regularly added to water and given to children since the 1960s and 1970s, we are beginning to see an overwhelming number of people of that generation who are developing chronic immune system disorders.

Causes Acute Adverse Reactions
Several double-blind studies have shown that fluoridated water can often cause acute adverse reactions (in addition to the chronic poisoning effects discussed below). Some of the effects seen in double-blind studies include: gastrointestinal symptoms, stomatitis, joint pains, polydipsia, headaches, visual disturbances, muscular weakness, and extreme tiredness. An enlightening review of a book by one famous and well-respected researcher from The Netherlands who found adverse reactions in double-blind experiments can be read here.

Causes Initial Stages of Skeletal Fluorosis
Fluoride can cause severe skeletal fluorosis at high levels. Chronic, long-term exposure to levels of fluoride commonly found in water and food in the U.S. can cause the beginning stages of skeletal fluorosis including: pains in bones and joints, sensations of burning, pricking, and tingling in the limbs, muscle weakness, chronic fatigue, gastrointestinal disorders, reduced appetite, backache, osteoarthritis, etc. In fact, decades of ingestion of fluoride from water and other common sources can be expected to cause these symptoms in large numbers of people based on calculations of fluoride intake and excretion. (Keep in mind that fluoride is a cumulative poison since it builds up in the body of years.) Very few healthcare practitioners are capable of diagnosing such a condition because healthcare practitioners are not trained to test for or recognize the effects chronic poisoning from fluoride.

Increases Lead and Arsenic Exposure
Fluoride compounds put into water are often contaminated with lead, arsenic and radio nuclides since the fluoride compounds are toxic waste byproducts which largely come from pollution scrubbers of fertilizer plants. A study published in 2000 showed that the dumping of toxic silicofluoride compounds into water ("fluoridation") causes an increase in blood lead levels in children.

Fluoride Causes Osteoarthritis
In a study published in Rhuematology International in 2001, researchers found a link between fluoride exposure and the development of osteoarthritis. The level of exposure that caused osteoarthritis is common in the United States.

Contributes to the Development of Repetitive Stress Injury
A clinical study in New Zealand showed that fluoride ingestion may be a contributing factor in the development of Repetative Stress Injury (RSI) since such ingestion may encourage the development of apatite crystal formation. Elimination of fluoride plus regular supplementation of magnesium appeared to help RSI patients considerably.

Causes Permanent Disfigurement of the Teeth in Many Children
A very large and increasing number of children are experiencing dental fluorosis which is a permanent adverse structural change to the teeth.

Inhibits Key Enzymes
As fluoride builds up in different parts of the body over decades it can disrupt the actions of many key enzymes. This fact has been known for a long time.

Supresses Thyroid Function
Fluoride was given at low levels during the early to mid 20th century as an effective way of supressing thyroid function and treating hyperthyroidism. Articles and research can be found on the Thyroid web page.

Causes Large Numbers of Acute Poisonings
Fluoride is an extremely poisonous substances at exceptionally low doses and has caused a large number of acute poisonings. This is why a poison warning is now required on fluoridated toothpastes sold in the U.S.

Independent Experts Oppose Dumping Fluoride Into Water
Over 1500 professionals at the US EPA, including toxicologists and risk assessment experts voted unanimously to oppose the fluoridation initiative in California because of the health risks involved. See summary or official EPA union statement. Even the Candian Dental Association Consultant and Researcher urged people to avoid drinking fluoridated water.

Unethical
Fluoridation amounts to forced medication of the water supply. Such practices demonstrate a complete lack of ethics on the part of its promoters. Studies as early the 1930s showed extreme hazards to man and the environment due to fluoride dumping and exposure. Companies and organizations involved used the promotion of "fluoridation" as a way to avoid lawsuits due to dumping toxic wastes and later for economic gain. Please read the short history of fluoridation for more detailed information.

Banned in Many Countries
Fluoridation is not legal or not used in the overwhelming number of countries including industrialized countries. Please see Fluoride Status of Countries web page.

Many independent researchers, organizations, holistic healthcare experts and a growing number of dentists who avoid the use of toxic substances are warning their patients to avoid fluoridated water and fluoridated toothpaste and to definately not give children any fluoride since they appear to be more susceptible to the neurological toxicity from fluoride.

If your water department adds toxic fluoride compounds to the water, the best course of action is usually to drink and cook with bottled "spring" water. Carbon filters do not remove fluoride compounds to any significant extent. Avoid putting fluoridated water in humidifiers. Many non-organic juices have large amounts of fluoride from pesticide residues. It is best to juice your own vegetables and fruits from organic produce or go to a health food store to purchase organic juices.

Avoid toothpastes that have fluoride even if the manufacturers claim that the fluoride came from "natural" sources. Even though topical fluoride treatment may have an effect to help remineralize cavities at the early stages, the combination of a healthy diet, proper dental hygiene and saliva can have a similar effect. It is impossible to avoid swallowing some fluoride from fluoridated toothpaste. I have tried various toothpastes and current use the natural Weleda toothpaste with baking soda. I like that fact that it does not contain fluoride or the detergent, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS).

Return to Top
#269105 - 11/01/04 04:39 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Oohhhh, that's a little too X-Files for me!

Even though I have my preference, I hope whoever wins does so by enough of a margin to preclude a repeat of the 2000 post-election fervor...but my hopes aren't too high. This race is tighter than a tick....

And ditto on the assassination comment being inappropriate...but hey, it won't be MY door the SS and the FBI come knocking on.....

Return to Top
#269106 - 11/01/04 04:39 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Having grown up near Chicago the "grave yard" vote has always been a standing joke, but his year. . .

Both CNN and Fox News had reports this morning about people who have voted early and died. Most states require voters to be alive on election day.

Both networks brought up the issue of absentee ballots cast by servicemen & women who have been KIA since mailing their ballots.

I can't imagine that it would be enough votes to make a difference either way, but throw it in the mix with other "irregularities" and the lawyers are going to have a field day.

In an earlier thread I said we wouldn't know until the week of 11/29. I have not seen anything to change my mind.

One of the stations this weekend was doing a story on older Americans suffering from Dementia whose votes are being mailed in from assisted living and care facilities and whether these people have the appropriate reasoning to vote. This whole thing is getting ridiculous.

Return to Top
#269107 - 11/01/04 04:42 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Quote:

This whole thing is getting ridiculous.

Amen to that!

Return to Top
#269108 - 11/01/04 04:50 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for being so concerned.

Fluoridation / Fluoride
Toxic Chemicals In Your Water

Wow - I was making a joke. But now I understand your politics a little better. Is this what they're posting over at the DU these days? I figured they'd be focused on the election.

Return to Top
#269109 - 11/01/04 04:50 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
Whatever happened to the good ole' Presidential elections of years ago.....like the ones that went on back when I was young enough to not care or be able to participate? Is this the way it is going to be from now on....yikes!

Return to Top
#269110 - 11/01/04 04:51 PM Re: Will it end in Alaska tomorrow?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

One of the stations this weekend was doing a story on older Americans suffering from Dementia ... and whether these people have the appropriate reasoning to vote.

Voting for what? Who is voting?

Return to Top
#269111 - 11/01/04 05:03 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Is this the way it is going to be from now on....yikes!

As long as the state and federal authorities allow frivolous lawsuits, yes.

IMO, it's a shame we live in a society where one person can sue another person just for looking cross-eyed at them and get it all the way to a district or supreme court before it gets thrown out - and some are wanting to put a person that has made millions from these lawsuits as second in command of our nation.

I also, do not agree with the "voting early" that some states are allowing, IN being one of them. Don't take this statement wrong, I'm not disagreeing with the absentee voting that has been in place for years, but allowing someone to vote early to avoid the crowds is not a legitimate reason.

All I have to say.

Return to Top
#269112 - 11/01/04 05:08 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I also, do not agree with the "voting early" that some states are allowing, IN being one of them. Don't take this statement wrong, I'm not disagreeing with the absentee voting that has been in place for years, but allowing someone to vote early to avoid the crowds is not a legitimate reason.

I never thought it was too much to ask a person to go spend an hour performing a civic duty every couple years.

But the REALLY STRANGE THING about this early voting - people are standing in line for hours!!! (I saw one report of people waiting FIVE HOURS!) What is that about? Why wouldn't you just come back later (like, for example, on election day, when the polls are fully staffed)???

Return to Top
#269113 - 11/01/04 06:13 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Just about everyone I talk with hopes for a decisive win tomorrow, regardless of the name or political party. Whoever wins will have a sizeable chunk of the electorate adamantly opposed to him as an individual, as a personality, and that could hurt this country in every way.

I do think whatever happens tomorrow, and the campaign leading into the final results, will be studied for years. I think it will result in legislative changes for voter registration, possibly voter eligibility (i.e. the dementia issue, the registered-in-2-states issue, etc.) and the actual voting process (the active duty military issue, defining eligibility for early voting, etc.), and perhaps limits for the infamous 527 organizations.

I think we're seeing a revolution in how people gather their news - newspaper circulation down, mainstream TV news viewership down, Internet, "blogs", radio, alternative (cable) TV viewership all way up. I hope that journalism professionals, students and professors go back to defining news as "what is happening" rather than "what should happen".

I hope everyone eligible to vote has voted by the time the polls close tomorrow -

Return to Top
#269114 - 11/01/04 06:29 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

perhaps limits for the infamous 527 organizations.

I didn't think the DEMS will ever go for limits to these organizations, but maybe they will change their minds now that a small, underfunded 527 seems to have affected their candidate negatively.

Return to Top
#269115 - 11/01/04 06:54 PM Re: will it really end tomorrow?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Most of the people in our department travel and won't be near their home to vote on election day - yes, they stood in line to vote and were very grateful for the opportunity to vote early.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2