Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#270501 - 11/03/04 06:47 PM cb news
Pumpkin Girl Offline
New Poster
How is life over there? I like the new place. Same old stuff over this way. It was fun seeing your first customer.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#270502 - 11/04/04 03:18 PM Re: cb news
THECradenza Offline
New Poster
Dallas, TX
what up ladies?? looking forward to boozing it up with yall tonight!

Return to Top
#270503 - 11/04/04 03:25 PM Re: cb news
Pumpkin Girl Offline
New Poster
Good morning! Have you had any customers yet? I need to find out what everyone's screen name is. So, what are you drinking tonight?

Return to Top
#270504 - 11/04/04 04:29 PM Re: cb news
THECradenza Offline
New Poster
Dallas, TX
no customers, just a lot of loud ass construction workers and people wanting jobs. not sure what im drinking tonight, i just know i have way too much blood in my alcohol.

Return to Top
#270505 - 11/04/04 04:37 PM Re: cb news
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hey guys, do you know that there is a private message feature, now that you are registered? Simply click on each other's names, and you can send one. When you see a flashing red envelope by the Welcome Pumpkin Girl or CRADenza, that means you have one!

Return to Top
#270506 - 11/04/04 04:47 PM Re: cb news
Pumpkin Girl Offline
New Poster
Thank you, we are still trying to figure this stuff out.

Return to Top
#270507 - 11/04/04 04:48 PM Re: cb news
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
That was nice of them to share with the rest of us!!!

Return to Top
#270508 - 11/04/04 04:59 PM Re: cb news
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I was afraid it was going to turn Coyote Ugly!

Return to Top
#270509 - 11/04/04 05:26 PM Re: cb news
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I was afraid it was going to turn Coyote Ugly!

What's wrong with that? I'm still trying to find a bar like that around here! Anyone notice that not only did they play great music and have good looking women singing on the bar, there was no cigarette smoke?

Return to Top
#270510 - 11/04/04 06:32 PM Re: cb news
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a Coyote Ugly in Boston. I went there about a month ago and it was very interesting. Luckily, we don't have to deal with smoke either. No one can smoke in bars in MA anymore - YAY!!

Return to Top
#270511 - 11/04/04 06:54 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

No one can smoke in bars in MA anymore - YAY!!

Hooray! Bar owners stripped of private property rights!!! Yippee! Let's take away their ability to serve alcohol next!!!

Return to Top
#270512 - 11/04/04 06:59 PM Re: cb news
hobot Offline
Gold Star
hobot
Agreed -- if so many people wanted bars where no one could smoke, why weren't there smoke-free bars open any before the state banned smoking in bars? I just don't get that.

I don't smoke and usually do not go into bars b/c of the smoke -- but that's my choice. A bar owner should have his/her choice to allow its patrons to smoke, IMO.

Return to Top
#270513 - 11/04/04 07:07 PM Re: cb news
Anonymous
Unregistered

Smoking is a health issue, a bad, bad, health issue. While alcoholism is also a bad situation, there ARE those of us who enjoy going to a bar for a drink or two in order to unwind. We don't want to breathe second-hand smoke. Our drinks don't affect anyone elses health unless we drive drunk. Second hand smoke is a health hazard, nature's rule, not mine. It's a proven fact. I am not allergic to cigarette smoke, but I think it smells foul and the foul smell reminds me that I'm endangering my health. Go outside to smoke. Smoke in your own home (if you don't have children!!!!). Kill yourself if you want to, but leave the rest of us out of it.

"Mind if I smoke?"
"No. Mind if I fart?"

Return to Top
#270514 - 11/04/04 07:09 PM Re: cb news
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

No one can smoke in bars in MA anymore - YAY!!

Hooray! Bar owners stripped of private property rights!!! Yippee! Let's take away their ability to serve alcohol next!!!

Big difference. My drinking doesn't affect YOUR health. Your smoking affects MY health in a PUBLIC establishment.

Return to Top
#270515 - 11/04/04 07:10 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
If you don't want to smell it, don't go where it is. This isn't a public building, no one is forcing you to go there. If you don't want to subject your health to whatever hazard it may present, don't go where it is.

Return to Top
#270516 - 11/04/04 07:12 PM Re: cb news
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

If you don't want to smell it, don't go where it is. This isn't a public building, no one is forcing you to go there. If you don't want to subject your health to whatever hazard it may present, don't go where it is.

So, the right to smoke is more valuable than my right to go to the bar or restaurant?

Return to Top
#270517 - 11/04/04 07:14 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Big difference. My drinking doesn't affect YOUR health. Your smoking affects MY health in a PUBLIC establishment.

If anything, you can make a more logical argument for banning the sale of liquor in a public establishment. Every year 17,000 people die on the roads from people who drive after drinking somewhere other than their home. Many of those people had not chosen to subject themselves to a health risk. Everyone who voluntarily walks into an establishment that allows smoking has made that choice.

And, for the record, I don't buy that "second-hand" smoke is a serious health risk.

Return to Top
#270518 - 11/04/04 07:17 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

So, the right to smoke is more valuable than my right to go to the bar or restaurant?

No, the right of the property owner to DO WHAT THEY WANT, whether than means allowing smoking or not allowing smoking, in the establishment THAT THEY OWN, is more important that your non-existent right to go wherever you please and have it in the condition you want.

Next, you'll want a law requiring the thermostat at a certain level, or lighting at a particular brightness.

Return to Top
#270519 - 11/04/04 07:18 PM Re: cb news
Anonymous
Unregistered

Recognize this. Smoking is going down the tube. It's not attractive to smoke, it costs a mint, non-smokers and health conscious people out number you. You're rights as a smoker will be fewer and fewer as time goes on. You do NOT have right to foul up my air space and I DO have the right to go to public buildings. Go kill yourself, but leave the rest of us out of it. I truly feel sorry for those who are addicted to nicotine. Either the addiction is so powerful that they are willing to die for it, or they are naive enough to think that in the long run, it won't affect their health. It will. And taxpayers will end up paying for their bad decision.

Return to Top
#270520 - 11/04/04 07:20 PM Re: cb news
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

No, the right of the property owner to DO WHAT THEY WANT, whether than means allowing smoking or not allowing smoking, in the establishment THAT THEY OWN, is more important that your non-existent right to go wherever you please and have it in the condition you want.

Next, you'll want a law requiring the thermostat at a certain level, or lighting at a particular brightness.

Temperature and bright lights are not health threats. You are completely missing the point.

Return to Top
#270521 - 11/04/04 07:20 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

taxpayers will end up paying for their bad decision.

That has nothing to do with it. If you don't like taxpayers footing the bill for medical care, end it. But that is a separate issue from property rights.

Return to Top
#270522 - 11/04/04 07:21 PM Re: cb news
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

That has nothing to do with it. If you don't like taxpayers footing the bill for medical care, end it. But that is a separate issue from property rights.

OK, whatever. You're still missing the point, buddy.

Return to Top
#270523 - 11/04/04 07:21 PM Re: cb news
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

If anything, you can make a more logical argument for banning the sale of liquor in a public establishment. Every year 17,000 people die on the roads from people who drive after drinking somewhere other than their home. Many of those people had not chosen to subject themselves to a health risk. Everyone who voluntarily walks into an establishment that allows smoking has made that choice.

And, for the record, I don't buy that "second-hand" smoke is a serious health risk.

Well, I can tell you from personal experience, it is for me. It irritates my psoriasis, and for my aunt, it can send her into a horrific asthma attack where she can't breath.

I agree with the drinking and driving being a bigger problem, but that isn't the fault of the bar, it's the fault of the driver.

Here's another issue regarding the "smell" factor. You say if I don't want to smell like the nasty smoke smell, I shouldn't go around it. Does this mean if I want to fill a waterbottle with vinegar and randomly spray it around me at the mall or in a bar it's your problem not mine?

Should I be allowed to light up some cow dung for warmth at the table while eating dinner too?

Return to Top
#270524 - 11/04/04 07:24 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Temperature and bright lights are not health threats. You are completely missing the point.

And someone smoking in a bar that I DON'T ENTER isn't a health threat, either. You are missing the point. Everyone has the right to not go where they don't like the policy - smokers should have the right to go to a bar where the owner allows it and caters to them, and non-smokers should have the right to go to a bar where the owner doesn't allow it and cater to them.

But no, let's eliminate the owner's rights and tell them what they can and can't do with their property.

This. Is. Fascism.

Return to Top
#270525 - 11/04/04 07:28 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Here's another issue regarding the "smell" factor. You say if I don't want to smell like the nasty smoke smell, I shouldn't go around it. Does this mean if I want to fill a waterbottle with vinegar and randomly spray it around me at the mall or in a bar it's your problem not mine?

No, I would have a problem with it. And I would go to the mall owner (or, more likely, their representative) and complain. And because the mall doesn't allow vinegar spraying, they would ask you to stop or remove you. If, however, there was a mall full of people who like to spray vinegar and others that didn't care, and the mall owner made the decision to allow this ON THEIR PROPERTY, I would simply not patronize said mall.

Quote:

Should I be allowed to light up some cow dung for warmth at the table while eating dinner too?

If the owner of the establishment wishes to allow this, then yes, you should be so allowed.

Return to Top
#270526 - 11/04/04 07:32 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Well, I can tell you from personal experience, [second-hand smoke] is [a health issue] for me. It irritates my psoriasis, and for my aunt, it can send her into a horrific asthma attack where she can't breath.

And microwaves are a health issue to a number of people who have pacemakers. But we don't ban private establishments from the use of microwaves.

Return to Top
#270527 - 11/04/04 07:37 PM Re: cb news
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, whatever. You're still missing the point, buddy.

Hey, Who ya calling buddy?!
and I agree that If someone owns their own bar they have the right to choose if smoking should be allowed. They are the ones making the investment not you so they should be able to decide what kind of customers they want. If you don't like going into a bar that smells of tobacco, buy your own!

Return to Top
#270528 - 11/04/04 07:43 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Buddy, how did we wind up on the same side of an issue?

Return to Top
#270529 - 11/04/04 07:51 PM Re: cb news
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
It's a strange, strange world!!
that and I have ambitions of owning a bar/nighclub in a few years and don't want to be told that I cant smoke in my own building.

Return to Top
#270530 - 11/04/04 07:54 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

It's a strange, strange world!!
that and I have ambitions of owning a bar/nighclub in a few years and don't want to be told that I cant smoke in my own building.

Well, I don't smoke and don't like the smell, but I wouldn't dream of telling you that you couldn't on your property.

Return to Top
#270531 - 11/04/04 08:04 PM Re: cb news
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
1. There are lots of bars and places to have a drink, some allow smoking, some don't -- everyone has a right to decide type they prefer. And every business owner should have the right to decide which type of business he wants to be.

2. As for the comment about drinking doesn't affect anyone's health, it could. Even one drink impairs one's abilities to some degree (c'mon, you know it's true, otherwise we would not drink).

If a restaurant does not serve food that you like, you don't legislate the menu, you just don't go. Why should bars, etc. be any different?

We have bars that are quite and low key and others that are loud and have loud music. I prefer the quite ones -- I don't try to change the loud ones, I just go to the others.

I would have to agree that property owners should have certain rights about the way they run their businesses. I have even heard of attempts to legislate a person's right to smoke in their own car and their own home ---- silly, just silly. I am not saying that smoking is OK or not OK, only that individual's rights matter also.

Return to Top
#270532 - 11/04/04 08:05 PM Re: cb news
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
If you own the bar and you are the only one working there you may have a point. As they have found out in Irland, you can not subject your employees to the second hand smoke and get away with it. I hate smoke but love Scotch. I do like smokey Scotch.?)

Return to Top
#270533 - 11/04/04 09:36 PM Re: cb news
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
I happily work in a city that passed legislation last year prohibiting smoking in any public place - it's great to be able to walk into any public place without catching secondhand smoke, including restaurants and pubs. Until I read this thread, I'd already forgotten how nice it is. Since the legislation was passed by the voters in this city, I don't see how it's infringing on the rights of the property owner anymore than any other city ordinance that legislates what they can and can't do on their property.

Return to Top
#270534 - 11/04/04 09:38 PM Re: cb news
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I agree that there is no difference in prohibiting them from allowing smoking than there is in zoning districts for them to operate in, limiting the number of establishments that can sell liquor, etc.

Return to Top
#270535 - 11/04/04 09:40 PM Re: cb news
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Quote:

I agree that there is no difference in prohibiting them from allowing smoking than there is in zoning districts for them to operate in, limiting the number of establishments that can sell liquor, etc.

WOOHOO - Michael and I agree!!!!

Return to Top
#270536 - 11/04/04 09:41 PM Re: cb news
THECradenza Offline
New Poster
Dallas, TX
For all those who are worried about the second hand smoke issue...I hope for the sake of MY health that ya'll are riding your bicycles to work everyday. The air you breathe outside is just as bad the air you breathe in a bar, so please...quit driving!

Return to Top
#270537 - 11/04/04 09:41 PM Re: cb news
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Hey now, it's not the first time.....

I mean we both agree that the Lord of the Rings was a great series (movies AND books)....

Return to Top
#270538 - 11/04/04 09:42 PM Re: cb news
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

For all those who are worried about the second hand smoke issue...I hope for the sake of MY health that ya'll are riding your bicycles to work everyday. The air you breathe outside is just as bad the air you breathe in a bar, so please...quit driving!

Actually the fact that there is better air circulation outdoors than there is in a bar, which frequently have little to no air circulation makes a big difference.

I don't drive an old clunker or an SUV either, and I don't drive if I can walk.

Return to Top
#270539 - 11/04/04 09:43 PM Re: cb news
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey now, it's not the first time.....

I mean we both agree that the Lord of the Rings was a great series (movies AND books)....

It comes in PINTS?!?!? I'll have one. Is the smokefree bar open yet? I know it's only Thursday...

Return to Top
#270540 - 11/04/04 09:46 PM Re: cb news
THECradenza Offline
New Poster
Dallas, TX
point taken, but when you're comparing 30-40 lit cigarettes to 3-4 million combustion engines in a relatively small metro area, how big of a factor is circulation?

Return to Top
#270541 - 11/04/04 09:49 PM Re: cb news
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

point taken, but when you're comparing 30-40 lit cigarettes to 3-4 million combustion engines in a relatively small metro area, how big of a factor is circulation?

Comparing the ratio of the volume of pollutants to total atmosphere (and yes, exhaust etc. are distributed everywhere, not confined to particular areas) to the ratio of cigarette smoke to enclosed room is silly. The smoke from the cigs doesn't escape. Pollutants do.

PS: Both of these types of pollutants also RISE, and bars have ceilings close to your lungs, cities don't.

Return to Top
#270542 - 11/04/04 09:52 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Since the [non-smoking] legislation was passed by the voters in this city, I don't see how it's infringing on the rights of the property owner anymore than any other city ordinance that legislates what they can and can't do on their property.

It's different because smoking on MY property doesn't affect YOUR property. If I have a run-down building junking up the block, or if I try to operate a hog farm in the middle of your subdivision, that affects your property. Smoking in MY house doesn't affect YOUR house. Smoking in MY bar doesn't affect anyone else's property.

Fascism.

Return to Top
#270543 - 11/04/04 09:57 PM Re: cb news
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Quote:

Quote:

Since the [non-smoking] legislation was passed by the voters in this city, I don't see how it's infringing on the rights of the property owner anymore than any other city ordinance that legislates what they can and can't do on their property.

It's different because smoking on MY property doesn't affect YOUR property. If I have a run-down building junking up the block, or if I try to operate a hog farm in the middle of your subdivision, that affects your property. Smoking in MY house doesn't affect YOUR house. Smoking in MY bar doesn't affect anyone else's property.

Fascism.

Fascist voters? Dang. What's this city coming to?!?! We don't allow nude dancing in our pubs and restaurants either. Rumor even has it that they're making them cook hamburgers to a certain temperature and that beef tartare is going to be a fondly remembered historical item. That's it. I'm moving to Ireland.

Return to Top
#270544 - 11/04/04 10:00 PM Re: cb news
THECradenza Offline
New Poster
Dallas, TX
point again taken...but if pollution were distributed evenly everywhere, there would be no such thing as smog. my point is that I understand wanting a drink after work, but there are so many more non smoking than smoking places to drink. Where I live, you can't even smoke in the bowling alley or pool halls anymore. That's just crazy. So if non-smokers want to segregate themselves from non-smokers, it's not like they have nowhere to go.

Return to Top
#270545 - 11/04/04 10:03 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
How would you all react to a city with a majority of residents who smoke banning smoke-free restaurants or non-smoking sections?

You can be smug and snobbish towards those who smoke if you want, but you are misusing the power of government.

Return to Top
#270546 - 11/04/04 10:15 PM Re: cb news
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

How would you all react to a city with a majority of residents who smoke banning smoke-free restaurants or non-smoking sections?

You can be smug and snobbish towards those who smoke if you want, but you are misusing the power of government.

Once again, the difference is that YOUR SMOKING CAUSES ME HEALTH PROBLEMS!

Return to Top
#270547 - 11/04/04 10:21 PM Re: cb news
THECradenza Offline
New Poster
Dallas, TX
A LOT OF THINGS IN YOUR ENVIRONMENT CAUSE YOU HEALTH PROBLEMS. ITS A FACT OF LIFE

Return to Top
#270548 - 11/04/04 10:22 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Not if you GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

The only difference in the situation you desire and the one I imagined is that in one smokers are in the majority, and in the other, you are. They are both examples of one group telling another what can be done on their property when it does not affect other properties.

Like I said, fascism.

Return to Top
#270549 - 11/04/04 10:26 PM Re: cb news
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I have a good friend who has asthma. Cigarette smoke triggers an attack without fail. She does her best to avoid places where people smoke, but sometimes that's not so easy. She's always gracious about it - doesn't make a scene - but my question is why should anyone's right to smoke infringe on her right to breathe? Smokers can wait until after their meal, or when they're not standing in a doorway she must walk through - she can't really wait to breathe...

Return to Top
#270550 - 11/04/04 10:30 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Many people have a similar reaction to being in the presence of peanut butter - actually, I would guess it's a worse reaction. Should we ban restaurant owners from offering PBJ sandwiches based on this?

Nobody is saying that she shouldn't be able to breathe. But nothing forces her to go to a restaurant where smoking is allowed. The question is, for her convenience should the government take away the property owner's rights?

Return to Top
#270551 - 11/04/04 10:39 PM Re: cb news
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Quote:

Many people have a similar reaction to being in the presence of peanut butter - actually, I would guess it's a worse reaction. Should we ban restaurant owners from offering PBJ sandwiches based on this?

Nobody is saying that she shouldn't be able to breathe. But nothing forces her to go to a restaurant where smoking is allowed. The question is, for her convenience should the government take away the property owner's rights?

Jokerman - I rarely disagree with you but on this one I have to. I don't think that I should have to stay out of the bar because someone I am with has a problem with smoke. I don't think they should allow smoking in resteraunts - I just think that I should be able to go in the resteraunt and ENJOY the taste of my food, which I don't when someone is smoking. True I could go somewhere else to eat, but why should they get to take that away from me? Smoking effects everyone around you, a peanut butter sandwich only offends those that DECIDE to eat it. Not everyone in the surrounding area.

Return to Top
#270552 - 11/04/04 10:42 PM Re: cb news
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

If anything, you can make a more logical argument for banning the sale of liquor in a public establishment. Every year 17,000 people die on the roads from people who drive after drinking somewhere other than their home. Many of those people had not chosen to subject themselves to a health risk

Jokerman - flawed analogy. To use your "walked into a bar where smoking was allowed" line, if people driving were killed by drunk drivers, those that were killed freely chose to drive. If they hadn't been driving, they would be alive.

Just doesn't work like that. And yes, second hand smoke does kill. My gradfather smoked for 30 years, healthy as a horse. Grannie died from lung cancer, second hand smoke. Her lungs looked as if she had been smoking her entire life.

Return to Top
#270553 - 11/04/04 10:49 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Smoking effects everyone around you, a peanut butter sandwich only offends those that DECIDE to eat it. Not everyone in the surrounding area.

I don't think that's accurate:

Quote:

The sensitive individuals must recognize that they are different, bear a large responsibility, and know they can die of a reaction.
Residue of peanut material on a wiped counter top, cutlery or plates may induce a reaction. Aerosolized peanut material (e.g. opening a sealed jar of peanut butter, or fumes from cooking) may cause asthma in a susceptible individual. Some may experience nausea if people nearby are eating suspected foods.

Return to Top
#270554 - 11/04/04 11:00 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Jokerman - flawed analogy. To use your "walked into a bar where smoking was allowed" line, if people driving were killed by drunk drivers, those that were killed freely chose to drive. If they hadn't been driving, they would be alive.

You're blaming victims of drunk driving?

Assume for a moment that second-hand smoke exposure for a few hours and drunk drivers are equal health risks (I don't believe they are). Which is more avoidable - driving or going to bars? Obviously, it is easier to avoid going to a bar. If that is the case, which does the state have a larger duty to prevent - drinking or smoking?

The difference is, drinking is currently more popular than smoking, and so one type of law can pass, while another can't.

Quote:

Just doesn't work like that. And yes, second hand smoke does kill. My gradfather smoked for 30 years, healthy as a horse. Grannie died from lung cancer, second hand smoke. Her lungs looked as if she had been smoking her entire life.

If your point was that she spent a few hours a week in a bar, I might agree that smoking at bars presents a health risk. You said she was exposed all day, every day, for 30 years. Not a good analogy.

Return to Top
#270555 - 11/04/04 11:04 PM Re: cb news
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Right, there are people with severe allergies that will be triggered by any contact with peanuts or dairy products, whatever. That's not the point here.

A PUBLIC establishment caters to the public at large, not just a few. If a bouncer throws a rowdy drunk out of a bar because it badly affects other patrons, why shouldn't the smoker be asked to leave because he badly affects other patrons?

Return to Top
#270556 - 11/04/04 11:07 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

If a bouncer throws a rowdy drunk out of a bar because it badly affects other patrons, why shouldn't the smoker be asked to leave because he badly affects other patrons?

You are exactly right - if the bouncer (a representative of the owner) decides that a patron's behavior disturbs another, the establishment should ask them to leave.

That is EXACTLY how this should be handled.

Return to Top
#270557 - 11/04/04 11:07 PM Re: cb news
Anonymous
Unregistered

How is a bar a public establishment? It's a privately owned business. The owner should be able to determine if smoking is allowed or not. The market and the will of the people will determine if he stays in business or not.

Return to Top
#270558 - 11/04/04 11:07 PM Re: cb news
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

You said she was exposed all day, every day, for 30 years

That is not what I said...

I Said...My gradfather smoked for 30 years, healthy as a horse. Grannie died from lung cancer, second hand smoke. Her lungs looked as if she had been smoking her entire life... She obviously with with her husband, but he was gone from home most of the day working. When he was home, he smoked. Please don't change my words for you benefit.

All studies currently show that second hand smoke poses a health risk. You can choose to ignore that if you care to, but the fact is it puts people in danger.

Return to Top
#270559 - 11/04/04 11:14 PM Re: cb news
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
But in the end, you have the choice to go into a bar.
If you are willing to risk your liver to cancer, then I don't see what the big deal is. like I posted earlier, the owner invests his or her money into the bar (not you) so they should have the right to choose how they want to run their bar. If second hand smoke bothers you than I would suggest opening your own where smoking is not allowed.

Return to Top
#270560 - 11/05/04 12:22 AM Re: cb news
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

But in the end, you have the choice to go into a bar.
If you are willing to risk your liver to cancer, then I don't see what the big deal is. like I posted earlier, the owner invests his or her money into the bar (not you) so they should have the right to choose how they want to run their bar. If second hand smoke bothers you than I would suggest opening your own where smoking is not allowed.

Wow, Buddy...I can't believe it but I'm not in your corner on this one. I wish where I live we had smoke free bars...we don't.

I believe smoke in the workplace became an issue years ago and bars are one of the last to go. It's not so much the patrons, as it is the employees of the bar. When you are not the only bartender, and become an employer, some of the rules change.

But I am happy you are so open minded about things...can I come over to your place later and pee in your swimming pool???

Sorry in advance if that offended anyone, just tryin to lighten things up a bit...

Return to Top
#270561 - 11/05/04 12:37 AM Re: cb news
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Its ok CG, see I'm not perfect after all..
Hey, and I would be honered to have you in my pool, but could you just hold it in??

Return to Top
#270562 - 11/05/04 01:34 AM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Please don't change my words for you benefit.

The point is, you can't compare the effects on someone who lives in a home where smoking occurs to someone who goes to a bar for a few hours.

Return to Top
#270563 - 11/05/04 05:32 PM Re: cb news
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Quote:

The point is, you can't compare the effects on someone who lives in a home where smoking occurs to someone who goes to a bar for a few hours.

I think the other point is that the employees of the bar are there for more than a few hours and it all adds up. Can you imagine the uproar if offices started allowing people to smoke at their desks again?

Return to Top
#270564 - 11/05/04 05:54 PM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I think the other point is that the employees of the bar are there for more than a few hours and it all adds up. Can you imagine the uproar if offices started allowing people to smoke at their desks again?

This is actually the best argument I've seen. In my perfect libertarian world, employers would set policy on whether their employees could smoke or not, and if the employee didn't like that policy, they should not take the job. But given the environment in this country today, that employer would at the least open themselves up to liability, and I imagine (don't know) that states have enacted laws taking the decision away from the employer.

Short version - I believe that any law that unreasonably limits the free exchange of goods and services encroaches on liberty. To the extent that a bar owner wants to provide a location where customers may smoke, they should be able to do so.

Thank you, nanny government.

Return to Top
#270565 - 11/05/04 06:04 PM Re: cb news
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I believe that Lichtenstien is the only country that still allows you to smoke in bars.

Return to Top
#270566 - 11/05/04 06:43 PM Re: cb news
Anonymous
Unregistered

YIKES! All I said was that I was glad bars are now smoke-free in MA! I didn't realize it was going to cause such a stir!

Return to Top
#270567 - 11/05/04 07:29 PM Re: cb news
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

YIKES! All I said was that I was glad bars are now smoke-free in MA! I didn't realize it was going to cause such a stir!

Ya gotta be careful... we are all a bunch of bankers...

Return to Top
#270568 - 11/05/04 07:31 PM Re: cb news
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
After thinking about it more, I agree with BM and JM (even though my father died of emphysema). How about each bar, if they wish to, offer Smoking and Non-Smoking zones with adequate ventilation so that the smoking side does not affect the non-smoker side. One bar here in town offers smoking outside on the deck (weather really isn't a problem here very much) but doesn't allow smoking on the inside. Works out very nicely.

Return to Top
#270569 - 11/05/04 07:56 PM Re: cb news
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

After thinking about it more, I agree with BM and JM (even though my father died of emphysema). How about each bar, if they wish to, offer Smoking and Non-Smoking zones with adequate ventilation so that the smoking side does not affect the non-smoker side. One bar here in town offers smoking outside on the deck (weather really isn't a problem here very much) but doesn't allow smoking on the inside. Works out very nicely.

Now, Mark, that is just too rational and you know it!

Return to Top
#270570 - 11/05/04 07:57 PM Re: cb news
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
I think that might be a great idea in some bars, but of course only if the owner wanted smoking and nonsmoking areas.

Return to Top
#270571 - 11/05/04 07:59 PM Re: cb news
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

I think that might be a great idea in some bars, but of course only if the owner wanted smoking and nonsmoking areas.

That would be the section where I stated, "...if they wish to...." meaning if the bar owners wished to cater to both the smokers and non smokers.....thought I made that clear, lolol. Or, should that be LOL.........PERIOD.

Return to Top
#270572 - 11/05/04 08:28 PM Re: cb news
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
You made that clear...
I'm saying that I love the idea. As a smoker, I have never had a problem smokeing in designated areas. I do have a problem however, when I am smoking in a bar that allows smoking and a person that has had way too much to drink starts to preach about how my second hand smoke is killing them. These are the same people who will be needing a liver transplant later in life. I just feel if a person drinks to the point it effects their health, than they shouldn't preach to me about smoking.

Return to Top
#270573 - 11/05/04 10:08 PM Re: cb news
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Quote:

Quote:

Ya gotta be careful... we are all a bunch of bankers...

The sad part is, DG's statement makes perfect sense to me.

Return to Top
#270574 - 11/06/04 04:51 PM Re: cb news
THECradenza Offline
New Poster
Dallas, TX
I dun hit the club thorw back. Clam Down. I just want to say what up to all me people from CB i dun hit the club thorw back.

Return to Top
#270575 - 11/06/04 04:58 PM Re: cb news
BigWide Offline
New Poster
hey its the BigWide and I roll all night. I dun hit the club because my freestyle sounden tight

Return to Top
#270576 - 11/06/04 05:07 PM Re: cb news
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
As someone who grew up in a house full of smoke from my parents, I will say that I detest smoking. I don't like the smell that gets in your clothes. I don't like the bad breath that it causes and I don't like the stained teeth. My stepfather died from cancer, from smoking.

All that said, I am a competitive pool player and the ONLY places to play in public (for fun or in tournaments) is in bars. In Oklahoma, if it's a bar, it's filled with smoke. Yes, I know the health risks and yes, I know that when I come home I smell like smoke while not ever having lit one myself, but if I want to play pool (and I'm not giving that up), I have to make the choice and suck it up. Would I love it if they outlawed smoking in bars in Oklahoma? Only if the same pool players came to the tournaments. I think that, in Oklahoma, there would be a major uproar if that passed. Maybe I need to move to Cali!

Yes, if you place socialization (hanging out, playing pool or darts, etc.) as a higher priority than subjecting yourself to smoke, then do it. Even though I hate a smoke-filled room, I have no problem with allowing smoking in bars, probably because I've just always put up with it.

The answer I've always gotten is that I need my own pool table at home.....1)too expensive, 2)no room for it right now, 3)how boring is that?

Return to Top
#270577 - 11/06/04 06:33 PM Re: cb news
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Hey Pup -

You don't have to move to CA to get smoke free -- just come one state north to KS and check out Overland Park and Lawrence. Plenty of banks, plenty of pubs, and plenty of "no smoking by city ordinance" signs!

Return to Top
#270578 - 11/08/04 02:53 PM Re: cb news
hobot Offline
Gold Star
hobot
To those who wish they had a bar in their town that was smoke free -- open one!! or 2

Return to Top
#270579 - 11/08/04 04:27 PM Re: cb news
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
Hey Pup, I know what you mean! I agree totally and face a similar situation with my avid activity of bowling. Our league is smoke-free, however the other league that occupies probably 90% of the alley is not so it really does not matter. Then, my wife who bowls the same night in a different house at a different time comes home and it's a contest who smells worse! My only advantage in that contest is that I keep my hair almost buzzed off so nothing is collecting there at least!

Return to Top
#270580 - 11/08/04 09:38 PM Re: cb news
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dun hit the club throw back

Return to Top
#270581 - 11/08/04 09:39 PM Re: cb news
BigWide Offline
New Poster
I dun hit the club throw back

Return to Top
#270582 - 11/08/04 09:41 PM Re: cb news
BigWide Offline
New Poster
i dun hit the club throwback

Return to Top
#270583 - 12/20/04 06:05 AM Re: cb news
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Fascist voters? Dang. What's this city coming to?!?!

Well, here's a clue:

Quote:

Brother national socialist, do you know that your Führer is against smoking and thinks that every German is responsible to the whole people for all his deeds and missions, and does not have the right to damage his body with drugs?

From an article in the British Medical Journal, referenced by National Review.

What's that old saying, "those who don't know history must play Doom repeatedly"?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4