Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#270650 - 11/03/04 08:13 PM Thanksgiving Traditions........
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can't wait til Thanksgiving... gimme Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing and Green Bean Casserole, all mixed together with gravy on top! Please.....
We play a big game of football with the whole family. We call it the "Turkey Bowl" (Its copyrighted so dont steal it!! ) and then go eat and watch football.

What does everyone do for Turkey Day?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#270651 - 11/03/04 08:22 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Well, to start, we always have dinner at the Bucket (pronounced: Bouquet) residence. My father will not have Thanksgiving anywhere else.

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, cauliflower with cheese sauce, gravy and homemade cranberry sauce.

Yum.

Our family tradition is that my son thinks my father always chases the turkey we get for Thanksgiving, each year Dad has to make up a new adventure of how he caught the turkey.

This year, I am thankful that my Dad is still here with us.

Return to Top
#270652 - 11/03/04 08:23 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Anonymous
Unregistered

We do much of the same. We do watch the parades with the kids. I like plenty of turkey, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce. The only time of the year that I eat those little tina green peas. This is my time of the year! Glad I am not a turkey!

Return to Top
#270653 - 11/03/04 09:10 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
We do Thanksgiving with my inlaws. My MIL is from Iowa. I am a Southern girl. Needless to say, I find most of what she makes inedible. Luckily, this year, my own parents are arriving on Friday and will bring me a care package of leftovers from a "real" Thanksgivig.

Return to Top
#270654 - 11/03/04 09:29 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Since Thanksgiving is right in the middle of deer hunting season here in Wisconsin, all us deer hunters have become an adoptive family and have dinner together. We all see our families the other holidays.

Each year, one person sits out of hunting on Thanksgiving Day to stuff and cook the turkey. Everyone else is in charge of something else, so they can still hunt in the morning, and put together their dish in the PM. This year, I am in charge of desserts, so I can do them the night before. Brandy Pecan Pie and Traditional Pumpkin Pie with real whipped cream!

Then, if we have deer, we work on processing them. If no deer, ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?? And a nap!

Return to Top
#270655 - 11/03/04 09:47 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
RUNSWITHSCISSORS Offline
Platinum Poster
RUNSWITHSCISSORS
Your pies are making my mouth water! DROOL
Good luck on your hunt.

Return to Top
#270656 - 11/03/04 09:54 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to know how you make that brandy pecan pie, sounds really good.

Return to Top
#270657 - 11/03/04 10:00 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Since I am allergic to poultry I can't partake of a traditional meal. However, our whole family has spent the holiday together for many a year, feasting upon a huge traditional meal. When I started to learn to cook, I took over cooking my own meal. I quickly learned that whatever I made, everyone was curious about. Over time I learned to make a meal that could also become a side dish, and make enough for everyone. I started with simple things like red beans and rice, and progressed to things like a vietnamese cold noodle salad and am trying desperately to figure out how to make sushi for this year. I'm thinking it will end up being a project for next year, and I will make a greek salad and stuffed grape leaves this year instead. The point is, now, each year the family looks forward to whatever ethnic delicacy I come up with, and the turkey seems to have become the side dish as my meals become more interesting and unique. The annual joke remains the fact that I cook the entire meal for an army and then can't eat the bird.

I sometimes think certain relatives only keep me around because of my culinary talents.

Return to Top
#270658 - 11/03/04 10:19 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
We're traditional. Turkey with all of the trimmings for dinner (which is scheduled around the football games). Now that we're all grown up and are spread out (literally and figuratively ), our main priority is making sure that no one in our family or anyone that we know is celebrating the holiday alone. It's pretty much all about being together for us - the rest is just icing on the cake.

Return to Top
#270659 - 11/03/04 10:35 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Nanwa can you please pm me that brandy pecan pie recipe?! I have a husband who will flip over that!

We're traditional too. But none of you guys have mentioned sweet potatoes with brown sugar and little marshmallows melted on top.

Tradition also dictates that we watch White Christmas either Thursday or Friday night. We all know it by heart and chime in and sing. It's a riot!

Return to Top
#270660 - 11/03/04 11:24 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
It's not thanksgiving unless you have the sweet potatoes with lots of brown sugar and chopped pecans and don't forget hte sweet potato pie. Other traditions are pea salad and deviled eggs. Giblet gravy...mmmmmmmmm

Return to Top
#270661 - 11/04/04 02:34 AM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Pearled onions! Giblet stuffing! A great snifter of congac after dinner! Family and friends! A snooze! What more could anyone ask for?

Return to Top
#270662 - 11/04/04 03:04 AM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Give thanks...eat...nap....eat some more....nap......eat some more....nap....football...eat some more....nap...give thanks....eat some more...nap....sounds like Thanksgiving to me!!

Return to Top
#270663 - 11/04/04 02:25 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Nanwa - I see a trend here - will you post your pie recipe?? That sounds heavenly.

Return to Top
#270664 - 11/04/04 02:30 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Nanwa - I see a trend here - will you post your pie recipe?? That sounds heavenly.

I'd rather she send us all a few pies so we can figure out the recipe ourselves!

Return to Top
#270665 - 11/04/04 07:13 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Anonymous
Unregistered

we make a turkey boob, stuffing, green beans, smashed taters, and a half an acorn squash for my husuband. with dinner we usually have some champagne.

i also put out a slew of hors doerves(sp?) for the people that drop by during the day. water chestnuts wrapped in bacon, devilled eggs, stuffed shrooms, watercress sandwiches, etc whatever i am in the mood for.

Return to Top
#270666 - 11/04/04 07:18 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Quote:

we make a turkey boob

A what?

Return to Top
#270667 - 11/04/04 09:28 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
kfridge Offline
100 Club
We have a couple of fried cajun injected turkeys, ham, a deer roast, a pork roast, a big ole pot of gumbo, dressing, mirleton and shrimp casserole, yams, etc... We also have plenty of good desserts. Now I'm hungry!

Return to Top
#270668 - 11/04/04 11:02 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Anonymous
Unregistered

Turkey, Cornbread dressing, Giblet Gravy, Candied Yams, Greens, Fruit Salad, Corn, Rolls, Sweet Potatoe Pie, Lemon Pie, German Chocalate Cake.

Return to Top
#270669 - 11/04/04 11:08 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
oh, Lordie, a Louisiana turkey day!!! I must have been a southern belle in a previous life because your post just sent me over the top!

Return to Top
#270670 - 11/05/04 12:08 AM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
For those like me who never heard of mirleton---

I googled it.

The vegetable used to make this dish has several spellings and wordings. They are as seen above: Mirleton - Mirliton - Vegetable Pear - Chayote The chayote is a more or less pear-shaped member of the gourd family. Several varieties of chayote exist, but the commonly available one has thick apple-green skin and generally weighs 1/2 to 1 pound. Its crisp flesh is mild in flavor, falling somewhere between cucumber and summer squash. Though the chayote can be prepared many ways, it is always cooked, never eaten raw. The chayote can be steamed or boiled. It can also be sliced or diced and it can be sauteed or roasted or pickled (see the recipe on site).

Return to Top
#270671 - 11/05/04 12:56 AM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Nanwa's Brandy Pecan Pie

9 inch unbaked pie crust
3 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup of butter, melted
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 brandy
1 cup pecan halves

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Beat all ingriedients except pecans with an electric mixer til well blended. Stir in pecan halves. Pour into prepared crust. Bake 40 -50 minutes until set. Can be served warm or refrigerated. I prefer mine right out of the fridge.

Enjoy! It's a hit at our house.

Return to Top
#270672 - 11/05/04 04:41 AM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Quote:

Nanwa's Brandy Pecan Pie

9 inch unbaked pie crust
3 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup of butter, melted
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 brandy
1 cup pecan halves

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Beat all ingriedients except pecans with an electric mixer til well blended. Stir in pecan halves. Pour into prepared crust. Bake 40 -50 minutes until set. Can be served warm or refrigerated. I prefer mine right out of the fridge.

Enjoy! It's a hit at our house.

Nanwa...that's my mom's same Pecan Pie recipe saved the brandy. She's been gone for 20 years. Still mis her,especially during the holidays. I guess before I was born and dad gave up drinking she use to put brandy in hers,too! Thanks for the memories!

Return to Top
#270673 - 11/05/04 03:07 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Thanks Nanwa - maybe now my mom won't give me a hard time (since I've traditionally bought pies from Baker's Square!)

Return to Top
#270674 - 11/05/04 04:11 PM Re: Thanksgiving Traditions........
RUNSWITHSCISSORS Offline
Platinum Poster
RUNSWITHSCISSORS
Thanks for the recipe. Yummy...I'll try your recipe for my family this year.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3