Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#272288 - 11/08/04 04:17 PM Ground Zero Suicide Story
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
There was a story in the news about a 25 year old GA man, so upset with the outcome of the election that he drove up to New York, got into a restricted area and shot himself with a shotgun. No note was found. Co-workers said he was planning to get married soon and was very upset over the Bush victory.

That is a very sad story! I think it's sad that someone...anyone at all...did not get involved in this person's life and direct him to some help! There were obviously other emotional factors at play here!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#272289 - 11/08/04 04:19 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I'm praying for his loved ones, but frankly, that's one less idiot left. I'm not saying all Kerry supporters are idiots, but someone who sees their only option as killing themselves because we have 4 more years of Bush is an idiot. Someone who leaves the country because of 4 more years is a fool.

Return to Top
#272290 - 11/08/04 04:20 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
It's more sad that this man put an election before his love of his future wife...forever she will know that she was simply less important. That sucks...

Return to Top
#272291 - 11/08/04 04:29 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a very close friend of mine commit suicide 2 years ago. It was one of the most dramatic ordeals of my life. WHY! WHY! was all I could ask myself. What could I have done to stop it? With the help of friends and family I soon realize that my friend had progressed past wanting my help and their probably was nothing I could have done to prevent it. It still hurts today! Watch all those you love, old and young , especially during the holidays and get help if you see a sudden change in personality or mood. Only the person committing the suicide will truly know why they did it!

Return to Top
#272292 - 11/08/04 04:29 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10

Return to Top
#272293 - 11/08/04 04:34 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
Ground Zero Suicide Driven by Election

Sun Nov 7, 6:12 PM ET U.S. National - AP

NEW YORK - A 25-year-old man from Georgia who was apparently distraught over President Bush (news - web sites)'s re-election shot and killed himself at ground zero. Andrew Veal's body was found Saturday morning inside the off-limits site, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A shotgun was found nearby, but no suicide note was found, Coleman said.

Latest Headlines:
· Some Assessments of President Bush
AP - 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

· Poll: Voters Relieved by Decisive Election
AP - 1 hour, 54 minutes ago

· 'Moral values' a surprise factor in Bush victory: experts
AFP - 2 hours, 33 minutes ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Election Coverage

Veal's mother said her son was upset about the result of the presidential election and had driven to New York, Gus Danese, president of the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, told The New York Times in Sunday's editions.

Friends said Veal worked in a computer lab at the University of Georgia and was planning to marry.

"I'm absolutely sure it's a protest," Mary Anne Mauney, Veal's supervisor at the lab, told The Daily News. "I don't know what made him commit suicide, but where he did it was symbolic."

Police were investigating how Veal entered the former World Trade Center site, which is protected by high fences and owned by the Port Authority.

Return to Top
#272294 - 11/08/04 04:35 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

I'm praying for his loved ones, but frankly, that's one less idiot left. I'm not saying all Kerry supporters are idiots, but someone who sees their only option as killing themselves because we have 4 more years of Bush is an idiot. Someone who leaves the country because of 4 more years is a fool.

That's a very Christian attitude to have Michael. Pray for him and call him an idiot in the same sentence as if you are glad he killed himself.

He more than likely had other problems than just the election that contributed to his suicide. Furthermore, it doesn't state that he is a Kerry supporter.

Return to Top
#272295 - 11/08/04 04:51 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

That's a very Christian attitude to have Michael. Pray for him and call him an idiot in the same sentence as if you are glad he killed himself.

Oh, that's par for the course for Michael P.

Return to Top
#272296 - 11/08/04 05:05 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I would expect that from Happy Gilmore but not you Michael P...I thought you had more compassion than that!!

Return to Top
#272297 - 11/08/04 05:08 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would expect that from Happy Gilmore but not you Michael P...I thought you had more compassion than that!!

I'm sorry, but what compassion should I have for him after he has already killed himself? He did something completely idiotic. It's unchristian of me to say he did perhaps the dumbest thing ever and at least the gene pool is rid of him? I don't think so. Like I said, I'm praying for his family, and I wish it hadn't happened, but it was so dumb it's sad.

Return to Top
#272298 - 11/08/04 05:13 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Anonymous
Unregistered

Michael P,

Just curious in your own view, have you ever been wrong?

Return to Top
#272299 - 11/08/04 05:19 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Why is every one jumping on Michael P? I, for one, agree with him. I think it's ridiculous that this guy killed himself. Obviously he was troubled but I think when it gets that bad, a person has the responsibility to seek help. If he chooses not to, then he is an idiot. Unless he suffers from some sort of psychosis, in which case this whole thing is just sad and one would wonder why no one ever identified the mental illness...

Return to Top
#272300 - 11/08/04 05:19 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Michael P,

Just curious in your own view, have you ever been wrong?

Absolutely. I've been wrong often. I made tons of mistakes as a child, and I continue to make mistakes. But I certainly do try to get things right.

Return to Top
#272301 - 11/08/04 05:29 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
Here's a concept nobody's mentioned and, granted it's not in the brief article --- this guy could be an Iraq war vet with PTSD who blames the war on Bush - that could be all it would take to push him over the edge.

How about prayers for him and his loved ones?

Return to Top
#272302 - 11/08/04 05:47 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Anonymous
Unregistered

A shotgun was found nearby. Why is this being ruled a suicide? What did the man do? Shoot himself in the head with a shotgun, which is hard to do by the way, and then walk away from it? The article I read said he was shot in the side of the head and that a shotgun was found NEARBY. Shouldn't it have been found right next to him? Based on what I know, which isn't much this doesn't look like a suicide to me.

Return to Top
#272303 - 11/08/04 05:47 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Isn't that what Michael said he was doing?

Return to Top
#272304 - 11/08/04 05:49 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

I would expect that from Happy Gilmore but not you Michael P...I thought you had more compassion than that

Feel the love...

Return to Top
#272305 - 11/08/04 05:50 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Here's a concept nobody's mentioned and, granted it's not in the brief article --- this guy could be an Iraq war vet with PTSD who blames the war on Bush - that could be all it would take to push him over the edge.

Thank you! I find it odd that his mother "supposedly" knows why he committed suicide. Yet she didn't see it coming? There is only one person that truly knows...and I, for one, am NOT about to pass judgement.

Return to Top
#272306 - 11/08/04 05:50 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Isn't that what Michael said he was doing?

They don't like the fact that I said in the same breath the guy was a nutball. Better he shoot himself than say try to cap the pres or some republicans who voted for Bush.

Return to Top
#272307 - 11/08/04 05:58 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
the real sad thing in all of this is that the media loves to portray this as a statement on the election results. They have a comment from a co-worker who says it is a protest, and off they run.

Return to Top
#272308 - 11/08/04 06:01 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

the real sad thing in all of this is that the media loves to portray this as a statement on the election results. They have a comment from a co-worker who says it is a protest, and off they run.

Exactly what I was thinking, a "protest?" I don't agree. More like a rash, stupid and inconsiderate act by a mentally deranged individual.

Return to Top
#272309 - 11/08/04 06:30 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Let me see if I've got all the speculation down...he was murdered, he suffered from PTSD, anything else?

This story seems to answer a lot of questions.

Return to Top
#272310 - 11/08/04 06:33 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Let me see if I've got all the speculation down...he was murdered, he suffered from PTSD, anything else?

This story seems to answer a lot of questions.

I hate when you have to register to read articles... ARRRRGHHHHHH!

Return to Top
#272311 - 11/08/04 06:42 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Sorry, didn't realize it was behind a login.

Quote:

Andrew Veal, 25, was engaged to be married to an Iowa college student, whom he was supposed to see at her sister's wedding in Seattle this weekend. But Veal also had a girlfriend in Athens, where he lived, sources said.

When police found his body Saturday morning, they found a note to his girlfriend saying she was "too good" for him, a source said. The note also included a reference to Bush's victory, the source said.

"I think he wanted it to be dramatic," said one Athens friend, 23. "The election was just a catalyst."

Veal was a peaceful, liberal vegetarian who hated guns, never got worked up about politics or the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and seemed content, friends said.

As to why a shotgun? Waiting period.

Return to Top
#272312 - 11/09/04 07:14 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
Quote:

Veal was a...vegetarian

Well, you don't see that statement every day.

Return to Top
#272313 - 11/09/04 07:58 PM Re: Ground Zero Suicide Story
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
LOL, Random!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2