Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#272805 - 11/09/04 02:59 PM Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those other posts were making me hungry and it's only 9:45 in the morning.
Share your recipes for some Holiday cooking, people had alot of great ideas in the other threads. Cookies, meals, soups, whatever!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#272806 - 11/09/04 03:11 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Not a holiday recipe but I made it recently and it's good....

Penne Pasta & Kielbasa

2 cups penne pasta
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 medium onion cut into strips (note: I actually used the pre-cut diced onion, about half the tub)
9 oz frozen or 2 cups fresh snow peas
1/2 pound turkey kielbasa (I used the 'light' version), cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup milk
8 oz cubed cheese

Prepare the pasta as directed, cover & set aside to keep warm.
Meanwhile, preheat a nonstick 12 inch pan or dutch oven. Saute the red pepper, onion & snow peas over medium high heat until they are crisply tender (approx 4 - 5 minutes.) Reduce heat to medium. Add the milk, kielbasa, and cheese and cook, stirring often, until the sauce is smooth. Stir in pasta until coated.

Serves 6.

(I also added 2 tbsp of jarred minced garlic, and it actually could have used more.)

Return to Top
#272807 - 11/09/04 03:18 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
This is actually an all occassion recipe but I use it at holidays also as an appetizer.

Cheese Ball

1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 8oz pkg cheddar cheese, softened & finely grated
Hornel Real Bacon Bits
Finely chopped green olives with pimentos
Minced garlic (you can buy this at the grocery store in a jar)
1 tbsp. juice from olive jar

Mix well. will be hard so use a wooden spoon.
Add the bacon and olives according to your liking. More is better.
Slap it on a serving plate with some club crackers and you are set to go. If you refrigerate it, let it stand to room temp before serving. Another idea I use, is to roll it up in flour tortillas and cut into 1/2 in slices and serve.
I make myself sick eating this stuff 'cause I eat too much

Return to Top
#272808 - 11/09/04 03:22 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Golabki (Cabbage Roll-Ups)

1 large head of cabbage (remove core)
3 lbs ground meat (I use 1 lb Beef, 1 lb Pork, 1 lb Veal)
2 cups cooked white rice
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup Hunts Ketchup
2 cans tomato soup
1 & 1/2 cans water
1 TBLSP. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. each of salt, pepper
1/4 tsp. each of celery salt, sweet basil, nutmeg and Worchester sauce
1/2 stick of butter or margarine

Parboil cabbage in a large pot, removing leafs as they fall off into the water and are tender. Cook till all leaves are tender, but not ripping apart, usually 15 minutes.

Run under cold water and drain.

Cut the thick membrane off back of each leaf.

While cabbage is cooking sauté onion in butter, Olivio or margarine until lightly browned.

Put all the uncooked meat into a large mixing bowl.
Add the sautéed onions.

Next add dry seasonings, Worchester sauce and ketchup, along with the cooked rice.

Mix thoroughly.

Lay out leaves and depending upon their size, place 2-3 Tablespoons of meat mixture on the wider side. Roll leaf up and over meat, tuck in sides of leaf, and continue to roll.

Place rolls, seam down into a greased roasting pan.

Continue rolling remainder cabbage rolls.

Mix together the tomato soup, water and brown sugar and pour evenly over all the rolls.

If your roaster doesn't have a lid, cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake @325 degrees for 2 - 2&1/2 hours.

Make sure you check every hour to confirm you don't need to add water. Don't let it get too dry.

To serve, spoon sauce over cabbage rolls.

Return to Top
#272809 - 11/09/04 08:32 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Does anyone know the proper way to deep fry a turkey? I have wanted to try it for a while but someone told me if you don't do it just right, it will still be raw in the middle.

(also with this low carb, low fat, low calories, nasty tasting diet everywhere, I would like to encourage my guests to indulge this thanksgiving.)

Return to Top
#272810 - 11/09/04 08:34 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Does anyone know the proper way to deep fry a turkey? I have wanted to try it for a while but someone told me if you don't do it just right, it will still be raw in the middle.

(also with this low carb, low fat, low calories, nasty tasting diet everywhere, I would like to encourage my guests to indulge this thanksgiving.)

I wish I knew also because I have wanted to try it. I have also wanted to try the "Tur-Duck-En" ala John Madden. HA-HA!

Does anyone else miss John Madden and Pat Summerall on Thanksgiving? I do....

Return to Top
#272811 - 11/09/04 08:54 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

I wish I knew also because I have wanted to try it. I have also wanted to try the "Tur-Duck-En" ala John Madden. HA-HA!

Does anyone else miss John Madden and Pat Summerall on Thanksgiving? I do....

I for one don't even miss Madden on MNF when I don't watch it! Dopey should retire. I do miss Summerall, however.

Return to Top
#272812 - 11/09/04 09:00 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Secret to a good fried turkey is the seasoning and the injection marinade and frying with peanut( more costly) or canola oil:

1-10-12 Small Turkey(Bigger birds may not cook throughout)
1-Injection Syringe filled with favorite marinade
1-cup spices (Salt pepper paparika sage garlic) or use
Emeril seasoning.
2-3 gallons of oil: depends on cooker size

**CAUTION** Serious burns may result if you overfill cooker with too much oil! Use caution when adding turkey to hot oil!!!!!

You must have a turkey cooker:

You can NOT overfill the cooker with oil because it will
oveflow when you add the turkey to the oil.

Way to measure oil? Put enough water in cooker to fill half way. Add turkey: If it does not overflow you have the right amount of oil. Increase or decrease to get the exact amountof oil (dry cooker completely before filling cooker with that much oil. Heat oil to 180 degrees. Use long thermometer that comes with turkey cooker.

Wash and completely dry bird. Rub cup of spices all over the bird. Inject marinade into legs breasts and thighs and a few other areas. Deep fry until a golden brown at about 160-180 degrees. Eat as soon as the oil drains: Enjoy!! Compliments of TBB

Return to Top
#272813 - 11/09/04 09:01 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Fried Turkey, I have never done this; but I have heard that it takes a very large cooker and A LOT of oil. A friend of mine was going to try it, bought the cooker, read the directions and when he found out how much oil he would have to buy ---- he took the cooker back and ordered a fried turkey.

I like that idea, order the fried turkey and the turducken and serve both!!!

Return to Top
#272814 - 11/09/04 09:12 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

SoccerMom:

Secret is to use a small bird: 10-12 lbs and the oil can be deep frozen until the next use. the season in the oil makes the next bird taste even better. The bought ones are often cold and not as good! TBB

Return to Top
#272815 - 11/09/04 09:59 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Fried turkey is delicious if done right. Follow the instructions that come with the cooker and use an injectable marinade as Anon above suggested. The meat is very moist! Also, as you can imagine, the turkey cooker can be flammable so we always use ours on the driveway, not on the deck or in the garage.

Return to Top
#272816 - 11/09/04 11:44 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
thanks for posting the warning, Sarah. All the news shows annually show the fried turkey that turned into a flamming house video. You really do have to do this out and away from your house and trees, etc. and measure your oil carefully. But I think it's well worth the effort and tastes fabulous. Oh, and I use the cooker to do crab boils in the summer too!

Return to Top
#272817 - 11/10/04 01:51 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
CUgirl Offline
Gold Star
South Mississippi
We have fried Turkey every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Be sure to use peanut oil. If you use another type of oil, it may burn. Peanut oil cooks well at extreme temperatures. Your oil has to be a certain temperature. I suggest to you to get a cajun injection and coat the skin with Tony Chasare seasoning(not spelled correctly)
Fried Turkey is soooo moist, you will never want to eat a baked turkey again.
I live in Mississippi, many of the deli s in town fry turkeys for a minimal price. Maybe you could check in your town.

Return to Top
#272818 - 11/10/04 02:43 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Cathy P Offline
Gold Star
Cathy P
NE
We are going to try our first fried turkey soon and it sounds as though we have already made two mistakes - my husband bought regular vegetable oil and our turkey is 20 pounds. Hmmm. We have done chickens, though and they turned out great!

Another recipe that I like to do any time is cream cheese corn.

12 oz cream cheese (since they come in 8 oz packs, I just usually use 16 oz.)
4 cans shoepeg corn, drained (the corn is white)
garlic salt
2 T butter, plus a little to put on top
2 chopped jalepenos (I buy the sliced jalepenos in a jar and then just cut them into smaller pieces. Also, if you don't want that much spice, you can use green chilies instead).
1/4 cup milk

In a saucepan, use low heat to heat up cream cheese, butter, milk and garlic salt until you form a sauce, stirring frequently. Remove from burner and add jalepenos and corn. Put into baking dish and dot with a little butter then bake approximately 30 minutes at 350 degrees. It should be bubbling along the edges when you take it out.

Return to Top
#272819 - 11/10/04 03:00 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do Christmas Eve dinner for our entire family and "strays" (people with nowhere else to go). We have had as many as 28 but average right around 20. I serve whole beef tenderloin, grilled, scalloped potatoes, tossed salad, rolls and fine, red wine. Before dinner we have cocktail shrimp and other appetizers. For dessert I serve ice cream molds (Santas, trees, etc.), assorted Christmas cookies, homemade English toffee, coffee, appertifs and port. Then we all gather and sing Christmas carols. People drift out as they need to.

Return to Top
#272820 - 11/10/04 03:26 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
and where do you live? I think I'll be straying that way come Christmas eve.....

Return to Top
#272821 - 11/10/04 03:48 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everyone's welcome.....even you red staters . LOL, just kidding!

Return to Top
#272822 - 11/10/04 06:27 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Being German, my Mom usually has several pans of Bierox for us the night before Thanksgiving and Christmas. She makes the best!

My husband fried several turkeys last year for the first time. It works well with large chickens also.

Return to Top
#272823 - 11/10/04 06:33 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Pumpkin Girl Offline
New Poster
What is Bierox?

Return to Top
#272824 - 11/10/04 06:36 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

I do Christmas Eve dinner for our entire family and "strays" (people with nowhere else to go). We have had as many as 28 but average right around 20. I serve whole beef tenderloin, grilled, scalloped potatoes, tossed salad, rolls and fine, red wine. Before dinner we have cocktail shrimp and other appetizers. For dessert I serve ice cream molds (Santas, trees, etc.), assorted Christmas cookies, homemade English toffee, coffee, appertifs and port. Then we all gather and sing Christmas carols. People drift out as they need to.

Wow, that sounds nice. I didn't realize liberals celebrated a religious event like Christmas, hahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, just kidding (they started it).
But honestly, that sounds like a great tradition and makes me miss my old home up north. Christmas just isn't the same when you can go to the beach and get a tan on Christmas Day.

Return to Top
#272825 - 11/10/04 07:01 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Quote:

Everyone's welcome.....even you red staters . LOL, just kidding!

ooh! ooh! that would be me...so I take it that you're blue?
Get it? Hahahahah

Return to Top
#272826 - 11/10/04 07:18 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blue, in more ways that one....guilty as charged.

Imagine also that all of this occurs in a Victorian-era, Italianate home. We have a very old-fashioned Christmas tree (un-sheared, Frazer fir) that is 11' tall. It is a Christmas house!

Return to Top
#272827 - 11/10/04 10:27 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
sounds like my cup of tea. Has it been featured in any magazines?

Return to Top
#272828 - 11/10/04 10:48 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

No. We're asked every year to be on the local "Tour of Homes." But, it's still not right, according to my wife! Will it ever be!?

Return to Top
#272829 - 11/10/04 10:51 PM Re: Share your recipes! Holiday edition
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

What is Bierox?

I guess you could call it a German Hamburger. It's made up of hamburger and cabbage cooked and seasoned with salt and pepper and completed incased in bread dough (kinda like a roll) and baked. It may not sound great, but is really good! My mom doesn't really use a recipe, but here is one I found on the Internet. You just adjust the amount of cabbage to your taste. Instead of butter, she always had melted shortening in the dish that she would dip the sides in before placing them together so that they would pull apart and not stick. She would then run a stick of butter over the top of the bread after baking just like you do hot rolls.

Bierox (Russian-German)

Ingredients

2 boxes of Pillsbury Hot Roll mix or your favorite hot roll mix (or make your own bread dough)
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 large head of cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, diced
flour
butter, melted

Directions

Lightly brown ground beef; add cabbage and onion; season generously with black pepper and salt. Cook until onions are clear and cabbage is tender. Drain.

Prepare hot roll mix (your choice) as instructed. On lightly floured surface, roll hot roll mix. With a knife, cut into 3" x 3" squares. (We always make ours bigger so that they end up about 4 x 4 or 2 across on a 9 x 13 pan) With an ice cream scoop (or something similar), add ground beef mixture to center of square. Fold each corner to the middle and pinch the dough together. Flip upside down and put on lightly greased cookie sheet or baking stone. (We always used Pyrex baking dishes. Let rise before baking.

Bake at 375 F until golden brown - about 15 minutes. brush lightly with melted butter.

Serve with potato salad (preferably German) and/or hot vegetable soup.

Makes approximately 14 bierox.

Last edited by Boomermom; 11/10/04 11:00 PM.
Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2