Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#274318 - 11/12/04 04:38 PM Kidnapping Witnesses
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
I was appalled when I saw the news this morning which showed video of a California woman who was apparently kidnapped by two men outside of a shopping mall and stuffed into the trunk of their car. There were up to 12 witnesses who saw what was going on and not one of them contacted police or security to report what they saw. It was a mall security guard who witnessed the event on the video camera system that contacted police.

That is unbelievable to me that so many people would witness something like that and not at least call police. I'm sure it is a scary situation and nowadays people just don't want to get involved, but it is so unbelievable to me that not one person did a anything. I mean, how would they feel if something like that happened to them or someone they loved, and no one got involved?

I have never been in that situation, Thank God, but if I were, I can't imagine not getting involved, at the very least, making a 911 phone call.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#274319 - 11/12/04 04:50 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
About 6 years ago I witnessed a man beating his wife in their car in a parking lot. I went to try to aide the woman, when I ask what the problem was the man turned and pointed a gun at me and told me to mind my own business, which I did. I did go into a store and called the police, he and his wife were gone before they arrived and like a dummy I did not get the license plate number. Never heard anymore of the incident. But, unless it's an extreme case, I will probably never physically interfere again in a similar situation. I would however call the police and do a better job of getting a description of the vehicle.

Return to Top
#274320 - 11/12/04 04:52 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Sociology studies have shown for many years that the more people who witness a crime, particularly in a public area, the less likely it is that anyone will get involved.

There have actually been several cases where a woman was raped in front of dozens of people or more and NOONE did anything to help her. One was in a bar full of people with her screaming for help, and noone did anything. They didn't even leave the bar. Another was at a busy shopping mall during the Christmas Rush, in a department store, and only one person even called mall security.

There is something in the human psyche that people assume someone else will help.

Return to Top
#274321 - 11/12/04 04:55 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Maybe they thought the kidnapping was a Jack@$$ skit??? Who knows, but I do know that I would have done something, and from the little I know about many of the posters here, it seems like most of us would have intervened somehow.

Return to Top
#274322 - 11/12/04 05:02 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
I saw that video....Sad..Very Sad....

You know they may never find that person and if they do, it may be too late......Last I heard, no one matching the descritpion was reported missing......

I'm praying for her....

Return to Top
#274323 - 11/12/04 05:32 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

About 6 years ago I witnessed a man beating his wife in their car in a parking lot. I went to try to aide the woman, when I ask what the problem was the man turned and pointed a gun at me and told me to mind my own business, which I did. I did go into a store and called the police, he and his wife were gone before they arrived and like a dummy I did not get the license plate number. Never heard anymore of the incident. But, unless it's an extreme case, I will probably never physically interfere again in a similar situation. I would however call the police and do a better job of getting a description of the vehicle.

I can't imagine how scary that was for you! You are very brave to do what you did! I agree that even just a phone call to police shows you are human and that you care about your fellow man.

Return to Top
#274324 - 11/12/04 05:50 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was in a blue state - what else needs to be said. Remember everyone has the right to do whatever they want we cannot legislate morality.

Return to Top
#274325 - 11/12/04 06:03 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Anonymous
Unregistered

This has nothing to do with politics.

Return to Top
#274326 - 11/12/04 06:11 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have a point, but I only agree somewhat.

Return to Top
#274327 - 11/12/04 06:33 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

It was in a blue state - what else needs to be said. Remember everyone has the right to do whatever they want we cannot legislate morality.

What a flagrantly ignorant statement.

Return to Top
#274328 - 11/12/04 06:49 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

It was in a blue state - what else needs to be said.

You just might be that extreme case I was talking about. Besides, IN was a Red state.
Last edited by dpersfull; 11/12/04 06:50 PM.

Return to Top
#274329 - 11/12/04 08:09 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe I have stirred up a hornets nest here by the way I commented (not my intent) and Dan I did not mean to offend you. What I really think is the punishment must match the crime or criminals will blossom. The liberal agenda of rights for everyone is one root cause of increased violence. I also think the liberal agenda has hurt our law enforcement efforts for enforcing the law. The ACLU is more in favor of protecting the criminal than the victim and I believe more liberals are in blue states than red. I also believe more liberals support groups damaging our society like the ACLU and others.

Now do I want harm to come to that lady - NO. But I do blame liberals for part of her predicament. My prayer is that she will be found safe and sound very soon. I also pray our legislators will reapply principles our country was founded on in our laws and the application of those laws.

I am sorry if I offended anyone and my prayer is truly for that lady's wellfare.

Return to Top
#274330 - 11/12/04 08:16 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Oh for gads sake! You're saying liberals didn't do anything for this lady? If the vote is any indication of the world today, half of the witnessess were probably not liberal.

It's raining today? Did some dang conservative make that happen?

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#274331 - 11/12/04 08:20 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Thanks, Dawnie! I think Anon's comments are way out in left field -- it is ridiculous.

Return to Top
#274332 - 11/12/04 08:20 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Anonymous
Unregistered

No I did not say liberals did not do anything for this lady (I know a few good ones). What I said I believe is the liberal agenda is eroding absolutes and this is contributing to increased crime (like a lady getting kidnapped in a parking lot with witnesses not doing anything about it).

Return to Top
#274333 - 11/12/04 08:24 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Liberal bashing is always good clean fun, but it normally stops at the rediculous. You've reached way past the stopping point.

Return to Top
#274334 - 11/12/04 08:29 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

What I said I believe is the liberal agenda is eroding absolutes and this is contributing to increased crime (like a lady getting kidnapped in a parking lot with witnesses not doing anything about it).

Funny how the conservatives rule (will rule) the White House, Senate, and a majority of the States, yet it is the liberal agenda that is eroding moral absolutes and increasing crime.

Despite their catastrophic political defeats in recent years, liberalis seem to be more powerful than anyone could possible imagine.

Please.

Return to Top
#274335 - 11/12/04 08:30 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Chi are you a liberal? Can you make the rain stop please???? Some stupid conservative turned it on and my powers will only allow me to avoid calling 911 when I see a kidnapping.

Return to Top
#274336 - 11/12/04 08:31 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Considering the liberals control the courts, and filabuster any attempts at introducing even MODERATE justices, or any policy that attempts to improve the moral basis of our nation, yes, they do have power.

Return to Top
#274337 - 11/12/04 08:39 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
HELLO! Do I have to get my referee shirt and whistle out again?

Does anyone else notice how, yet again, an anon has kidnapped this thread and is leading it into yet another "one group is better than the other" discussion?Hadn't we had enough of this by Nov. 2nd? Let's stick to the topic at hand.

Return to Top
#274338 - 11/12/04 08:40 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
So, liberals are to blame for this woman's kidnapping, and Clinton is to blame for 9/11, but Bush has no responsibility for anything in his administration?

Arguments like this weaken the conservative agenda.

Return to Top
#274339 - 11/12/04 08:53 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
This thread, by no means, was meant to be a political thread! I have had enough of that to last me a long time. The topic is people witnessing a kidnapping and not doing anything about it. "the liberals made me do it" is not an excuse!

Return to Top
#274340 - 11/12/04 08:58 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
The sad thing is that with the proliferation of cell phones in this world, I'd guess many of the folks who watched this happen didn't even think of calling. How sad is that!

Return to Top
#274341 - 11/12/04 09:02 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

Chi are you a liberal? Can you make the rain stop please????

Can't talk. Too busy drowning.

Return to Top
#274342 - 11/12/04 09:12 PM Re: Kidnapping Witnesses
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

Considering the liberals control the courts, and filabuster any attempts at introducing even MODERATE justices, or any policy that attempts to improve the moral basis of our nation, yes, they do have power.

What about the recent cabinet resurfacing?

In my opinion, the DOJ goes from "God-awful" to simply "awful" in the new Attorney General: Alberto Gonzales, former counsel to Enron and architect of the unspeakable torture policies at unpronounceable US military prisons world-wide.

Gonzales represents what I believe will be the trend for new Bush appointees: a more innocuous exterior, concealing the same old brazen neocon ideologies. Anyone can *look* more moderate than Ashcroft, but you really have to work to be less moderate in practice.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2