Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#274760 - 11/19/04 08:24 PM Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
My re-direct to my examiner:

I'm sorry to keep bothering you on this, but the deadline is soon approaching and there is just too much conflicting information out there.

I got the following from one of my compliance bulletin boards -

On November 10, 2004, David Lafleur, CRCM, FDIC Policy Analyst-Compliance DSC - Washington, DC responded to my question as to if we had to provide a negative notice to each borrower if they were at the same address, or even to each borrower if they had different addresses. David responded, "To answer your question, only one negative notice needs to be sent. We've been advising financial institutions to send it however they'd send a statement or late notice, so if those items go to both names, but to the primary address, that's how this notice should work. So in your case, it could be included with the bill that's sent to the primary borrower."

It appears to contradict the answer you got from Chicago. Would you please try to clarify, or please give me someone's telephone number in Chicago or D.C. that I could talk to? I really don't want to put the bank through the expense of having to send separate notices if it is not required. But, I also want to make sure the bank is compliant.

If it will help, you might refer to 217(C)(i). This section allows the notice to be included with the past due notice - and because the industry standard is to just send one past due notice to the customers is where I think the reasoning that only one notice is compliant is coming from. I have to admit, that is my reasoning.

Her reply which was just received.

Dan, you are not bothering me. As you are well aware, there are several interpretations - my sources leaned toward sending a notice to all those to whom adverse information will be reported; however, David's guidance is what I will go with, and so should you.

Good job!

I think I'll buy myself a double shot of Crown after work.

Return to Top
#274761 - 11/19/04 08:30 PM Re: Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
Wahoo! Dan da Man! Dan da Man! Dan da Man! Dude, you like so totally rock!

Return to Top
#274762 - 11/19/04 08:37 PM Re: Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Thanks for being persistent, Dan. Way to go.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#274763 - 11/19/04 08:45 PM Re: Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
Peridot Offline
100 Club
Rural Minnesota
Quote:

Wahoo! Dan da Man! Dan da Man! Dan da Man! Dude, you like so totally rock!

Ditto!!!! Score one for the compliance professional...our favorite poster, Dan!!!

Return to Top
#274764 - 11/19/04 08:45 PM Re: Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
My apologies. I forgot to say thank you to Sharon Davis for posting David Lafleur's response.

Thank you Sharon - that was instrumental in getting my examiner to reverse her decision.

Return to Top
#274765 - 11/19/04 08:52 PM Re: Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
juliad Offline
Gold Star
juliad
Dallas, TX
Good news! Of course, I was just explaining to managment that we needed separate noices... and in the blink of an eye everything can change. Of course, we're OCC regulated so does anyone know if they've had a change of heart yet?

Return to Top
#274766 - 11/19/04 09:01 PM Re: Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
Peridot Offline
100 Club
Rural Minnesota
We are OCC regulated as well. But, I am going to stick with this opinion from the FDIC, until I see concrete evidence that the OCC feels differently.

Return to Top
#274767 - 11/19/04 09:14 PM Re: Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Way to go Dan!!! I was beginning to think the USPS was behind this Act in order to generate extra income.

Return to Top
#274768 - 11/19/04 11:28 PM Re: Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
Cryin&Complyin Offline
100 Club
Cryin&Complyin
The Deep South
Quote:

My re-direct to my examiner:

I'm sorry to keep bothering you on this, but the deadline is soon approaching and there is just too much conflicting information out there.

I got the following from one of my compliance bulletin boards -

On November 10, 2004, David Lafleur, CRCM, FDIC Policy Analyst-Compliance DSC - Washington, DC responded to my question as to if we had to provide a negative notice to each borrower if they were at the same address, or even to each borrower if they had different addresses. David responded, "To answer your question, only one negative notice needs to be sent. We've been advising financial institutions to send it however they'd send a statement or late notice, so if those items go to both names, but to the primary address, that's how this notice should work. So in your case, it could be included with the bill that's sent to the primary borrower."

It appears to contradict the answer you got from Chicago. Would you please try to clarify, or please give me someone's telephone number in Chicago or D.C. that I could talk to? I really don't want to put the bank through the expense of having to send separate notices if it is not required. But, I also want to make sure the bank is compliant.

If it will help, you might refer to 217(C)(i). This section allows the notice to be included with the past due notice - and because the industry standard is to just send one past due notice to the customers is where I think the reasoning that only one notice is compliant is coming from. I have to admit, that is my reasoning.

Her reply which was just received.

Dan, you are not bothering me. As you are well aware, there are several interpretations - my sources leaned toward sending a notice to all those to whom adverse information will be reported; however, David's guidance is what I will go with, and so should you.

Good job!

I think I'll buy myself a double shot of Crown after work.

Dan's the man! BTW, is it you or your examiner that is treating themself to the double shot of Crown????

Return to Top
#274769 - 11/19/04 11:36 PM Re: Chalk one up for the good guys!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

We could all use a shot of our chioce, but I will be glad to buy one for Dan, Sharon, David, ..........

Return to Top
#274770 - 11/22/04 03:38 PM Re: Examiners says 2 negative notices required!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan,

Point of clarification. MN FDIC banks are in the KC region.

Quote:

Well, this is interesting. I'm assuming since you are in MN, you are also in the Chicago region. Supposedly my examiner got her answers from the Chicago office.

I think after seeing this I'll try to contact someone directly in Chicago.

Return to Top
#274771 - 11/23/04 03:26 PM Re: Examiners says 2 negative notices required!
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Just spoke with our OCC examiners (WI) and confirmed that if the co-borrowers have different addresses then we need to send a negative notice to each borrower at their respective addresses. If the co-borrowers reside at the same address, one notice will suffice but it must be addressed to both parties.

At least they are taking the logically approach to this!

Return to Top
#274772 - 11/24/04 07:47 AM Re: Examiners says 2 negative notices required!
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Let's pretend that all the regulators agree you have to provide notice to each borrower at their respective addresses. I don't think there's anything in the FCRA that prevents borrowers from agreeing with the lender how and where notices (including this one) will be provided. Many loan documents have a paragraph on notices that says something to the effect that "If there is more than one borrower on this loan, each borrower agrees that we may provide any notices jointly to all borrowers at the most recent address in our files for this loan." It seems to me that if your loan documents contain language like that, you should be able to go with the single notice. Any thoughts?

Return to Top
#274773 - 11/24/04 02:02 PM Re: Examiners says 2 negative notices required!
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You're comparing contract language with regulatory requirements. The two don't mix.

Return to Top
#274774 - 11/24/04 02:22 PM Re: Examiners says 2 negative notices required!
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
While I hope that we can provide one notice, I have to agree with Dan Persfull. Laws always supersede all contracts.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3