Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#282281 - 11/30/04 10:13 PM Go Eli!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Eli Manning is the third coming of his father! What a great game he had this weekend! Six completions in 21 attempts (less than 33%), 148 yards, zero touchdowns, 2 interceptions. Current QB Rating in the NFL.... 37.9! Remember, the base is around 80%!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#282282 - 11/30/04 10:38 PM Re: Go Eli!
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I heard on ESPN that not only did he go to Ole Miss, he plays like one too...

Return to Top
#282283 - 11/30/04 11:00 PM Re: Go Eli!
kfridge Offline
100 Club
I'm just happy that during his last meeting with LSU he was looking at the stars qute a bit. Archie Who?

Return to Top
#282284 - 11/30/04 11:32 PM Re: Go Eli!
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I'll trust Dan Marino's assessment over Michael's near obsessive assessments of Manning. Marino said during the game that it is too early to pass judgment on Mr. Manning. I agree completely. Keep the stats and the opinions on hold until he has a couple of seasons under his belt. I am on his side to make it in the NFL just because I am on every rookie's side to make it. I have no vested interest in this, but, Michael, you seem to get some sort of glee out of his failures. What is up with that? WWJD?
Last edited by -Z-; 12/01/04 01:48 PM.

Return to Top
#282285 - 12/01/04 04:27 AM Re: Go Eli!
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
As an Eagles fan, I particularly enjoyed Eli's poor performance on Sunday!

But that doesn't make him a bad quarterback. First, the guy needs an offensive line. He's got good targets in Hilliard, Toomer, Barber, and Shockey, but the Giants O-Line isn't doing any of those guys an ounce of good right now.

Regarding the interceptions. Yes, backup backup Quinten Mikkel intercepted in the endzone in one-on-one coverage against Jeremy Shockey. But the blame for that play rests neither with Shockey nor Manning- that one was the coach's fault. When the Giants split Shockey out wide in the red zone, you can count on the fade pass to Shockey- and every defense knows this! The Giants never should have called that play!

That being said- here's an interesting stat from week 12:
Eli Manning- completed passes: 6
Peyton Manning- touchdown passes: 6

Return to Top
#282286 - 12/01/04 01:08 PM Re: Go Eli!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Eli Manning is the third coming of his father! What a great game he had this weekend! Six completions in 21 attempts (less than 33%), 148 yards, zero touchdowns, 2 interceptions. Current QB Rating in the NFL.... 37.9! Remember, the base is around 80%!

don't forget the 5 sacks!!!
and the look of terror on his face everytime he was about to get hit, then just threw the ball away.

Return to Top
#282287 - 12/01/04 01:37 PM Re: Go Eli!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Only time will tell whether or not Eli will make it in the NFL...I too like to see rookies succeed. However, I do not agree at all with Coughlin's decision to play Eli when he did. The team was most definitely in the playoff picture and needed a veteran on the field who has been there before. Plus, Eli's first 5 opponent's defense(total defense rankings in parenthesis): Atlanta(19), Philly(15), Washington(2), Baltimore(4), and Pittsburgh(1)...not the easiest way to start a career.

Return to Top
#282288 - 12/01/04 02:29 PM Re: Go Eli!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Z, it's not obsessive, I am just enjoying more evidence that my assessment is correct. As for the anon who says Eli's first 5 opponents defenses were ranked 19, 15.... 2 4 and 1... this is one of the reasons I think Eli will ultimately wash out in the NFL. Coaches made the wrong decision in the timing to start him. While Atlanta is ranked #19, they have the best defensive line in the league right now and are getting lots and lots of sacks (as Eli felt). We saw what Philly did to him. Washington, Baltimore, and finally Pittsburgh will eat him alive and leave him at the end of the season thinking "why am I doing this". He will spend the entire offseason thinking, "with this line I'm going to get killed". Not long after that he will realize "now I know how David Klingler felt", and act like a deer caught in the headlights of the oncoming pass rush.

Return to Top
#282289 - 12/01/04 03:20 PM Re: Go Eli!
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

"now I know how David Klingler felt", and act like a deer caught in the headlights of the oncoming pass rush.

Don't forget how David Carr felt.

Return to Top
#282290 - 12/01/04 03:24 PM Re: Go Eli!
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea, he had what 70 sacks that year?

Return to Top
#282291 - 12/01/04 04:11 PM Re: Go Eli!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
The difference? David Carr didn't have a passing academy, a family legacy, and a franchise with a long history hanging on his shoulders. The pressure on Eli is MUCH MUCH greater.

Return to Top
#282292 - 12/01/04 05:13 PM Re: Go Eli!
jack Offline
100 Club
jack
USA
I think it's a little early to be jumping to conlusions about the guy's career after only two NFL games. Give him a chance.

Return to Top
#282293 - 12/01/04 05:20 PM Re: Go Eli!
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Just remember that he (and Daddy) played hardball with the NFL (in the media) by stating that he would not play for San Diego, and would sit out if drafted by them. I'm thinking right now that San Diego is laughing all the way to the bank. Yes, there is no offensive line in NY, but the league sure has hyped him, and in this day of free agency and high salaries, you expect that any first round draft pick is able to immediately step in and play. Eli has not been able to do that in his first 2 games, maybe down the road he can. But, at Old Miss, he was known for choking under pressure.

Return to Top
#282294 - 12/01/04 05:30 PM Re: Go Eli!
Anonymous
Unregistered

choking under the pressure is right.
just look at the way he was playing against the eagles blitz. he was terrified.

Return to Top
#282295 - 12/01/04 05:32 PM Re: Go Eli!
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

But, at Old Miss, he was known for choking under pressure.

Boy, you're going to have to give me the evidence of that. Losing to the eventual national champions LSU would not be an example.

Do you remember another QB playing hardball with an NFL team? He had no legacy. He refused to sign with Colts after they drafted him and they HAD to trade him to Denver. Oh, what the heck is his name? Here are his first year stats:

Year 1983

Team Den

Comp 123

Att 259

Comp% 47.5

Yds 1663

Yd/Att 6.4

TD 7

INT 14

Sacked-Yds 28- 218

Rating 54.9

Hmmm! Impressive! I am sure Michael will somehow distinguish this hall famer's rookie year from the current showing by Eli.

Return to Top
#282296 - 12/01/04 05:34 PM Re: Go Eli!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont really recall him being known at Ole Miss for choking at Ole Miss. I think he would be known as the best QB in that schools history and having a career worthy enough to be the #1 pick in the NFL draft.

Return to Top
#282297 - 12/01/04 07:12 PM Re: Go Eli!
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
well, maybe I have that jaded view of Ole Miss, working in Baton Rouge and all (and no, I'm not an LSU fan either)

Return to Top
#282298 - 12/01/04 08:54 PM Re: Go Eli!
kfridge Offline
100 Club
Hey, I'm not saying he isn't talented, but I seem to remeber Eli tripping on his own laces in the most important play of the LSU - Ole Miss game last year (much to the delight of Tiger fans everywhere). 4th down, the game on the line, and Eli was looking at the stars. I must admit that I didn't see the game, but the radio announcer said that he appeared to trip on his laces and fall backwards. It was a good game, though. Not only were the Tigers national champs, they killed the Heisman hopes of two QB's. That's probably a good thing, considering the lukewarm future that many Heisman's have in the NFL.

Return to Top
#282299 - 12/01/04 09:07 PM Re: Go Eli!
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Not only were the Tigers national champs, they killed the Heisman hopes of two QB's.

Who was the other Heisman hopeful?

As far as tripping on his own laces, I disagree. I saw the game and Ole Miss and Manning stood in there to the end against an obviously better team. Every QB occasionally stumbles coming out from under center. If it is your QB, you just hope that the timing is not crucial.

Return to Top
#282300 - 12/01/04 09:15 PM Re: Go Eli!
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I think Michael should start to worry about Big Ben. After a very impressive start, he is starting to get exposed and putting up worse numbers and taking more sacks.

While they have won impressively, the last two weeks wins were about running game and defense, not so much Big Ben and if his play continues to slide, the Steelers will lose.

Return to Top
#282301 - 12/01/04 09:18 PM Re: Go Eli!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I'm not all that worried about Big Ben. He has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. Big Ben has the weight of the family legacy on his shoulders and it's crushing him! Big difference.

Ben is playing well enough, and he's still winning.

Return to Top
#282302 - 12/01/04 09:20 PM Re: Go Eli!
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I keep thinking this is a Yale booster thread.

Return to Top
#282303 - 12/01/04 09:22 PM Re: Go Eli!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I keep thinking this is a Yale booster thread.

Then you can imagine my surprise when I first read the "Real or Fake" thread! (just kidding)

Return to Top
#282304 - 12/01/04 09:22 PM Re: Go Eli!
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
LOL. Yes, I was expecting that to be a ..... somewhat different thread as well.

Return to Top
#282305 - 12/01/04 09:33 PM Re: Go Eli!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ben hasn't played as well the past couple of weeks...however, look at one number, 0, which is how many INT's he's thrown the past 2 weeks. He is not making the big mistake that puts the team in jeopardy of losing.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3