Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#283296 - 12/02/04 08:26 PM Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
What a legacy.

ABC News:

Quote:

Dec. 1, 2004 — Former American fugitive Marc Rich was a middleman for several of Iraq's suspect oil deals in February 2001, just one month after his pardon from President Clinton, according to oil industry shipping records obtained by ABC News.

And a U.S. criminal investigation is looking into whether Rich, as well as several other prominent oil traders, made illegal payments to Iraq in order to obtain the lucrative oil contracts.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#283297 - 12/03/04 03:41 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
How many years before you let this go?

Bush is President and will be for 8 years if he finishes his term. Why not move on?

Return to Top
#283298 - 12/03/04 03:52 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I take it no one should ever talk about Watergate, either?

Return to Top
#283299 - 12/03/04 03:56 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Funny that you said that, because I thought about a sarcastic post about that.

Many on here immediately attack when the 2000 election results are brought up, but it seems perfectly acceptable to continue to re-hash these old topics.

Aren't there enough contemporary issues that are still relevant that we can discuss?

Opening old wounds, when there are fresh wounds to pick out, just doesn't make sense to me.

Return to Top
#283300 - 12/03/04 04:11 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Did you see the dateline from the story?

This UN scandal is just going to get worse. I find it interesting that someone who obviously shouldn't have received a pardon happens to have allegedly been involved in it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

If you would prefer to ignore this further evidence that Mr. Clinton made a terrible, terrible decision, do so. But I don't see any need for you to imply I'm doing something wrong by mentioning it.

By the way, I would never attack anyone who brought up the results of the 2000 election: BUSH WON. I might criticize those who cling to propaganda, convinced that they wuz robbed, but that is not analogous to this situation. The Rich pardon being one of the two stupidest things done by Mr. Clinton as President is not propaganda, or even a matter of opinion.

Return to Top
#283301 - 12/03/04 04:37 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

What a legacy.

ABC News:

Quote:

Dec. 1, 2004 — Former American fugitive Marc Rich was a middleman for several of Iraq's suspect oil deals in February 2001, just one month after his pardon from President Clinton, according to oil industry shipping records obtained by ABC News.

And a U.S. criminal investigation is looking into whether Rich, as well as several other prominent oil traders, made illegal payments to Iraq in order to obtain the lucrative oil contracts.

Sung to the tune of "Let it Snow"...

Let it go, let it go, let it go....

Return to Top
#283302 - 12/03/04 04:55 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
You know what, I owe you an apology Jokerman. I didn't see the new stories about the oil for food program (been buried in exam prep and FACTA). I thought this was a re-hash of an old story.

And I didn't think I was saying it is wrong to bring it up if it were old; it would just be opening old wounds and firing up debates that may not be relevant today.

And I just read the story about Kofi Annan's son and his tie in to this story.

I agree. This story is just getting started and this Rich angle is going to make it interesting for Hillary Clinton's desire to run for Pres in '08.

Again, I'm sorry.

Return to Top
#283303 - 12/03/04 04:59 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
By the time Hillary starts campaigning, this will be all but forgotten....

Return to Top
#283304 - 12/03/04 05:01 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Again, I'm sorry.

No problem - thanks.

Quote:

By the time Hillary starts campaigning, this will be all but forgotten....

That depends on the press. And as Dan Rather found out, it isn't as unaccountable as it used to be.

Return to Top
#283305 - 12/03/04 05:08 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Anyone else having a problem seeing Michael P's avatar, or is just my computer?

Return to Top
#283306 - 12/03/04 05:26 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Straw it's not just you, the site it is hosted on is currently having router problems

Return to Top
#283307 - 12/03/04 05:31 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

You know what, I owe you an apology Jokerman...Again, I'm sorry.

I was wondering why you were comparing an ongoing investigation to an election that is over and was proven by media recounts in Florida to have been won by Mr. Bush. You are a big Straw to admit fault. My hat is off to you. Most here just dig in deeper when they are off base.

Return to Top
#283308 - 12/04/04 08:19 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Even if is is shown that Rich did something wrong, as opposed to just having his name involved, what did the pardon have to do with this? Rich was free to do what he wanted both before and after the pardon so what is the connection with the oil-for-food issue?

I realize that the Rich pardon had foreign policy connections, since then-Prime Minister Barak of Israel urged Clinton on three occasions to pardon Rich and Barak had just stuck his neck out for Clinton in accepting his December 2000 peace proposal, but this in no way related to Iraq.

Speaking of Rich in one of the calls, Barak told Clinton, "I just wanted to let you know that here he is highly appreciated for his support of so many philanthropic institutions and funds, and that if I can, I would like to make my recommendation to consider his case."

Return to Top
#283309 - 12/06/04 02:44 PM Re: Oil-for-Food-OR-Prez-Library-Contribution Scandal
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I wonder how many contributions to Mr. Barak were required of Mr. Rich in order for that recommendation to be made.

The connection is, pardons are intended for people who have shown contrition, who have changed, who are different people from who they were when they committed the crime. Mr. Rich did not receive a pardon for these reasons, and we all know it. The fact that he is the same slimeball now that he was when he fled the country is evidenced by his participation in this truly evil sceme to enrich Saddam at the expense of the Iraqi people.

Perhaps you, anon, and Mr. Clinton can somehow justify this action. To me, it was the lowest point of a not-particularly-distinguished Presidency.

Return to Top