Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#283545 - 12/02/04 09:35 PM jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

he also alluded to barry bonds using them also.

i think barry bonds has used them, look at his size from when he first came into the league and look at him now. that is more than just working out.
he should fess up and they should ban him from baseball. if they pete rose for gambling, steroids is alot worse and barry should be banned.
at least pete didn't take anything to enhance his play. he played great without taking anything, that is why he SHOULD be in the hall of fame. applaud him and celebrate him for what he did while playing the game.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#283546 - 12/02/04 09:50 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Trivia--

Did you know Jason's dad is a banker?

Return to Top
#283547 - 12/02/04 10:47 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
ah, but I don't think that there is currently a ban on steroid use in baseball, is there?

Return to Top
#283548 - 12/02/04 11:03 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

now there is but i just feel that you should play the way god made you. you shouldn't use any performance enhancing substances.
look at the numbers babe ruth put up, the man lived on hookers, fried chicken and alcohol.
look at hank aaron, willie mays, lou gehrig and shoeless joe jackson. they lived for the game of baseball and played like it. they are some of the greatest players that ever lived and they didn't need anything to play as great as they did.

if barry bonds, jason giambi need performance enhancers to play the game, they shouldn't be playing. it's a shame that they need this stuff to feel big and important. they are tainting the game.

that is just my opinion, i feel it takes away from the game and it also gives an unfair advantage to the batter when facing the pitchers.

Return to Top
#283549 - 12/02/04 11:24 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

ah, but I don't think that there is currently a ban on steroid use in baseball, is there?

Anabolic steroids have been banned for as long as I know in baseball. The issue with baseball not banning some things related to Andro, Creatine (sp?) and other steroid "precursors".

Return to Top
#283550 - 12/02/04 11:29 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
IMHO the commissioner of baseball needs to do something to set an example to the rest of the league, the fans, and the kids that look up to these players. Unfortunately, MLB is a business first, and home runs sell tickets and television and radio advertising.

Return to Top
#283551 - 12/03/04 01:23 AM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that steroids should be banned, however I have a major problem with Giambi's admission being turned into an indictment of Barry Bonds. While I'm not a Bonds fan, let's remember 'innocent until .....'.

I listened to ESPN's coverage and I heard Bond's name mentioned at least 10 times. This was supposed to be a story about Giambi, not Bonds, at least not yet.

And please remember, in baseball, steroids may make you stronger and probably faster, but it takes more than that to be a great player.

Return to Top
#283552 - 12/03/04 01:07 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Such a shame...

Return to Top
#283553 - 12/03/04 02:24 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
These cheaters have ruined a great game. These artificially 'bloated' players, with their artificially 'bloated' stats, and as a result, their 'bloated' salaries, have led to skyrocketing prices for tickets, concessions, parking, and cable TV. What a shame is right. While Barry Bonds would be a great player with or without the steroids, he wouldn't be chasing the records of the legends of the game without them. And as for someone like Jason Giambi, a decent but limited player, he managed to win an MVP, get a huge contract, and briefly have his name mentioned with the true greats of the game. A total travesty, and a huge result of his steroid use.

Return to Top
#283554 - 12/03/04 03:35 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Quote:

I agree that steroids should be banned, however I have a major problem with Giambi's admission being turned into an indictment of Barry Bonds. While I'm not a Bonds fan, let's remember 'innocent until .....'.

Bonds admitted to taking a substance, but says he didn't know it was steroids.

Fox Sports Article

Return to Top
#283555 - 12/03/04 03:36 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah, and I didn't know Pizza was fattening!

Return to Top
#283556 - 12/03/04 03:39 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have tried Steroids (hence the Anon gig), and they are awesome when you use them correctly and for non-extended time periods. I only did them for a month and they did work. These men obviously had talent, but when you add the juice, it adds another dimension to your performance and magnifies your strength. You still have to work hard, but you get 100% out of what you previously got 60%.

Return to Top
#283557 - 12/03/04 04:46 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that is another story. So now he is fair game, as long as the game has a factual base. For example, we are going to hear a lot of folks giving their opinions on whether those that did use would or would not have been 'good/great' without the roids. The fact of the matter is we will never really know, especially in baseball. And, let's not limit this to Bonds and Giambi. Don't forget McGwire and Canseco. If we compare Bonds/Giambi from years ago to today and see drastic differences in muscle mass, remember what McGwire and Canseco looked like.

Lastly, I still say baseball is not as affected as football is. Roids do not sharpen your reflexes or improve hand/eye coordination. You will be stronger and hit the ball harder and farther, but you have to catch up with it first. Injections don't help you with that.

Return to Top
#283558 - 12/03/04 04:49 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

but also football has a better testing policy whereas the baseball players union will not allow it. if there was no problem, why wouldn't they allow testing?
i am sure there are football players get around the testing but at least there is a better procedure to help prevent it.

these baseball players are tainting the game that has such a history and legacy. remember, this is america's "pasttime".

Return to Top
#283559 - 12/03/04 05:44 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA

these baseball players are tainting the game that has such a history and legacy. remember, this is america's "pasttime".

Amen BG....and to those who say that Steroid use does not help baseball players as much, ask yourself why these players would then risk their health and reputation taking something that doesn't really help....

Return to Top
#283560 - 12/03/04 05:59 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

As part of Bonds' testimony, he said that the items didn't really work and he discontinued their use.

Return to Top
#283561 - 12/03/04 06:06 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
My heroes keep falling off their pedestals. Guess I shouldn't be putting them there.

Return to Top
#283562 - 12/03/04 06:41 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Amen BG....and to those who say that Steroid use does not help baseball players as much, ask yourself why these players would then risk their health and reputation taking something that doesn't really help....

A good question for the players that are using them. As a sports fan, it's tough to watch this unfold. I think the real concern, aside from the health of the players, is something I once told my son - anytime you see someone that's 6-6, 280-300 lbs or better that can run 40 yards in less than 5 seconds has to be on something. And that's even with the tougher testing program in football. I don't think it will end.

Return to Top
#283563 - 12/03/04 08:00 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

barry bonds is now using the 'ole everyone is against me' excuse.
he knew what he was doing and should be punished for it. he has tainted the game and its prestigious records.

Return to Top
#283564 - 12/03/04 08:01 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Throw them both out of baseball forever! This is clearly as bad as Charlie Hustle's gambling!

Return to Top
#283565 - 12/03/04 08:04 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Throw them both out of baseball forever! This is clearly as bad as Charlie Hustle's gambling!

i think its worse than pete rose.
he didn't need to take anything to help his play on the field, he set records naturally.
he messed up off the field but i dont think he should be punished for that. celebrate pete's accomplishments for what he did while playing the game.

Return to Top
#283566 - 12/03/04 08:11 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about Canseco and McGwire?

Return to Top
#283567 - 12/03/04 08:15 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

What about Canseco and McGwire?

What about them? Do you have some proof that they used a banned substance? If not, let's beware witch-hunts.

Return to Top
#283568 - 12/03/04 08:16 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

i would get rid of everyone's records.
canseco wasn't really a 'record setter' but i would get rid of mcgwire's single season record and leave it for roger maris.
get rid of sammy sosa also. he also was found using a corked bat.

Return to Top
#283569 - 12/03/04 08:29 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

barry bonds is now using the 'ole everyone is against me' excuse.
he knew what he was doing and should be punished for it. he has tainted the game and its prestigious records.

Has Giambi tainted the game? You don't mention him here.

Return to Top
#283570 - 12/03/04 08:33 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

of course he has, anyone that uses them has.
i mention barry bonds because he is the one breaking the records.
again, someone like babe ruth, who lived off hookers, fried chicken and alcohol put up ungodly numbers in baseball. barry bonds has to use performance enhancers, steroids, to compete with babe ruth.
it's really sad and it'll be a sad day if he breaks the babe's record and/or hank aaron's record. i wonder what hank thinks about this too, someone should interview him.

Return to Top
#283571 - 12/03/04 08:39 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe someone will ask Hank about it, but what would there be to say? Truth be told, I don't believe anyone can factually state that Bonds would not have broken the record without the steroids. It takes more than strength to hit a home run.

Having said all of that, baseball needs testing and penalties for violations. As far as banning Bonds or Giambi for than matter, there is no rule currently that has been broken. Worse case would be asterisks next to their names.

Return to Top
#283572 - 12/03/04 08:47 PM Re: jason giambi admits to steroid use.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

canseco...mcgwire...sosa

No Sosa fan, but he paid a price for his bat.

I have an idea - let's throw the three of them in the river, tied in a burlap sack. If they sink, we'll know they were innocent. If they swim - burn them!!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2