Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#284582 - 12/03/04 09:54 PM Job interview
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am facing a job interview by phone. I'm very qualified for the job but am so afraid I will mess up. I want it bad. Any pointers from anyone out there?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#284583 - 12/03/04 09:55 PM Re: Job interview
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Pretend like you are talking to them face to face.

Return to Top
#284584 - 12/03/04 09:56 PM Re: Job interview
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Relax. If you're tense it will show in your voice.
Take your time - write down the questions as they ask it if you have time. Then take a moment and think about your answer, maybe even make a few quick notes about points you want to hit.

Good luck!

Return to Top
#284585 - 12/03/04 09:57 PM Re: Job interview
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always think, What is the worst thing that can happen? I could mess up, not get the job, and it would be their loss! Shrug it off and don't worry about it. One hundred years from now the results of that one interview is not going to make a difference.

Now having said all that! Good luck and win one for the Gipper!

Return to Top
#284586 - 12/03/04 09:59 PM Re: Job interview
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
don't take the call at your office. It is unprofessional and will start you off a few notches down. Be in a comfortable environment. Be dressed comfortably. Make sure you are relaxed. Don't have any distractions (TV and radio off, no one else around, etc).

Good luck. Oh, and it is okay to let them know you are nervous and it is because you are very interested in the position.

Return to Top
#284587 - 12/03/04 10:02 PM Re: Job interview
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
I would also keep a copy of my resume in front of me just as reference. Although I'm sure you have all the information down cold!

Return to Top
#284588 - 12/03/04 10:06 PM Re: Job interview
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unfortunantly we can't get it set up for anytime except during work.

As far as not getting the job not being the worse thing....
it's my one chance to get out of banking so I really, really want it. It would be a very bad thing for me not to get it.

Return to Top
#284589 - 12/03/04 10:15 PM Re: Job interview
Anonymous
Unregistered

Correction - right NOW it's your best opportunity to get out of banking. There will always be others, and there's always ways to spend time outside of your current job exploring other things to do. It takes time, but there are ways, through volunteer projects in professional and community groups, to build skills that can go on a resume and demonstrate interests and abilities outside of banking....

Return to Top
#284590 - 12/03/04 10:36 PM Re: Job interview
doodle Offline
Platinum Poster
doodle
colorado
Put a mirror in front of you while you talk on the phone. That way you are aware of your facial expressions. Whatever your face looks like is what your tone will sound like. Smile!

Return to Top
#284591 - 12/04/04 06:11 PM Re: Job interview
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
It should be just like any other interview, except your voice must convey all emotion. Make sure your enthusiastic for the job above all. Also try to have your answers somewhat prepared, find a list of commonly asked questions and prepare for some of those, its a pain but very well worth it. Remember your selling yourself to the firm tell them why your the best. Just like a salesman asks for the sale at the end of a sales call, make sure you ask for the job in some way at the end of the interview. Don't get a stuck up attitude, confidence not arrogance, there are plenty of people just as qualified they can hire no matter who you are but there is no reason it can't be you they hire. Dont ask "How can you help me" questions at the end, ask "How can I help you" type questions. Finally dont listen to all of that "there will be other jobs" stuff, there will be, but thats stuff you say to make yourself feel better after you don't get the job.
Good luck, I can feel your pain, I just got a job outside of banking but it's not until September after I get my hours for the CPA exam.

Return to Top
#284592 - 12/06/04 05:26 PM Re: Job interview
PMH Offline
100 Club
Buffalo, NY
I agreee that you should be prepared - have your resume and notes in front of you. Also have the job posting and a pen to write down things that the interviewer says/asks so that you can stress those points in your answer. I had an hour and a half phone interview 2 weeks ago. A glass of water would be a good idea too, just in case your interview runs as long as mine did. Good luck!

Return to Top
#284593 - 12/06/04 05:29 PM Re: Job interview
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
PMH, thanks for the advice. Were there any particular questions that surprised you?

Return to Top
#284594 - 12/06/04 05:50 PM Re: Job interview
Scooter Offline
100 Club
Scooter
Michigan
I didn't see these ideas listed; hope they help.

During the first few minutes of introduction, write down the name(s) of those that are interviewing you and get an understanding of who you are talking to.

Identify the major key thoughts that you want to convey to them, list them out on paper and check them off as they are stated. (These may serve as a good wrap up statement too.)

Return to Top
#284595 - 12/06/04 06:49 PM Re: Job interview
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

I always think, What is the worst thing that can happen? I could mess up, not get the job, and it would be their loss! Shrug it off and don't worry about it. One hundred years from now the results of that one interview is not going to make a difference.

Now having said all that! Good luck and win one for the Gipper!

Excellent, perfect, exactly what I would have said.

Return to Top
#284596 - 12/06/04 07:24 PM Re: Job interview
PMH Offline
100 Club
Buffalo, NY
The only thing that surprised me was that after the manager advised me of the specific job description, she asked at what point I would become bored with the job. Well, I appreciated her candor, since I do become bored with rote tasks as anyone would. I expressed my concerns about the same problem & we hit it off. I followed up with a 3 hour face-to-face interview and would love to work for this manager. We just clicked!

Return to Top
#284597 - 12/06/04 07:28 PM Re: Job interview
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Any pointers from anyone out there?

Create a talking-points paper to keep in front of you. Each bullet point will address the most obvious questions should anticipate being asked (e.g., Why do you want to leave your present position? What do you feel you can offer us in the way of new ideas, enthusiasm? What are your strengths, weaknesses? How would you describe your work style and work ethic?, etc., etc.)

You don't necessarily read from the talking points, but use them as an idea prompter.

Return to Top
#284598 - 12/07/04 03:03 PM Re: Job interview
PMH Offline
100 Club
Buffalo, NY
So, how did your interview go?

Return to Top