Thread Options
#288457 - 01/03/05 08:21 PM Re: peterson gets death
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's the thing I hate about the California Death Penalty. I think that as soon as he received his sentence he should have been executed immediately. I have a feeling that sort of swift punishment would have a very positive impact of the ridiculous rate of crime in this state.

I agree. The last person executed was 2 years ago and he was on death row for 20 years and there are over 600 on death row now. Unless another inmate kills him he be there for along time!

I think that's the most insensitive, assinine thing I have ever read. So, if you are convicted and given the death penalty you should be stripped of your rights to appeal, and executed. Good idea. Next we will say that the government should be able to take away your drivers license because an eye witness said you were speeding.

The appeals system is there for a reason. INNOCENT people get convicted too you know.

I have this opinion: There should be grades of guilt. Only those found without a shred, SHRED of doubt as to their guilt - irrefutable scientific evidence, multiple (more than 3) eye witnesses to the crime, full and unrecanted confessions, etc., are sent to the gas chambers after one appeal. For the remaining, a limited number of appeals (not sure of the current laws), maybe 4 different processes with a time limit of 5 years. Just a theory, but something has to be done with the current system that is not functioning properly when you have people on Dealth Row for 20 years.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#288458 - 01/03/05 08:33 PM Re: peterson gets death
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
The system does work. Just because the trial isn't over immediately doesn't mean it doesn't work.

There are no shades of guilt, there is innocent until proven guilty, and the result of every potential appeal indicating guilty.

Besides, without a body, without an eyewitness, you are calling for swift justice. Seems to me you aren't consistent.

If a person confesses, generally they don't get the death penalty anyway, and there aren't appeals when you plead guilty.

Return to Top
#288459 - 01/03/05 08:53 PM Re: peterson gets death
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that the certainty of punishment matters more than the severity in most cases.

That is, if I knew that the next 10 times I exceed the speed limit, I'll definitely get a $25 fine, that's more of a deterrent than knowing that I'll get a $250 fine just once, in the unlikely event I'm caught.

Return to Top
#288460 - 01/03/05 09:11 PM Re: peterson gets death
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

The system does work. Just because the trial isn't over immediately doesn't mean it doesn't work.

There are no shades of guilt, there is innocent until proven guilty, and the result of every potential appeal indicating guilty.

Besides, without a body, without an eyewitness, you are calling for swift justice. Seems to me you aren't consistent.

If a person confesses, generally they don't get the death penalty anyway, and there aren't appeals when you plead guilty.

You misunderstand. I didn't say Peterson should get the quick death penalty. There are too many parts of this case that aren't 100% definite. Plus, the situations above aren't the only details that would need to be included in a case where fewer appeals would be granted, obviously. These would need to be extensively reviewed and agreed upon by legislators. Either way, I disagree with you. God Bless America.

Return to Top
#288461 - 01/03/05 10:01 PM Re: peterson gets death
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's the thing I hate about the California Death Penalty. I think that as soon as he received his sentence he should have been executed immediately. I have a feeling that sort of swift punishment would have a very positive impact of the ridiculous rate of crime in this state.

I agree. The last person executed was 2 years ago and he was on death row for 20 years and there are over 600 on death row now. Unless another inmate kills him he be there for along time!

I think that's the most insensitive, assinine thing I have ever read. So, if you are convicted and given the death penalty you should be stripped of your rights to appeal, and executed. Good idea. Next we will say that the government should be able to take away your drivers license because an eye witness said you were speeding.

The appeals system is there for a reason. INNOCENT people get convicted too you know.

They sure do, just look at Illinois!!!!

Return to Top
#288462 - 01/04/05 08:08 PM Re: peterson gets death
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe so. But I am just really speaking of this particular case. Just face it, sometimes the law sucks. Innocent people get convicted, criminals get set free. Wonderful, isn't it? Now I think that's assinine.

Return to Top
#288463 - 01/04/05 08:42 PM Re: peterson gets death
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Suzy, there is no body, there is no witness, there is no murder weapon. And you don't want him to have any appeals?

Return to Top
#288464 - 01/04/05 09:02 PM Re: peterson gets death
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
Quote:

Suzy, there is no body, there is no witness, there is no murder weapon. And you don't want him to have any appeals?

They did find bodies um, like the last time I checked.

And umm, NO he doesn't deserve any appeals!!

We just have a diff. of opinions, that's all.

Return to Top
#288465 - 01/04/05 09:14 PM Re: peterson gets death
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

They did find bodies um, like the last time I checked.

And umm, NO he doesn't deserve any appeals!!

We just have a diff. of opinions, that's all.

I agree with Michael P. No witness, no murder weapon, no physical evidence linking him to the murder. A CSI failure.
The case was extremely weak. The jury convicted him based on emotions rather than the law, the facts, and common sense.

If I were on the jury, I don't think I could have voted guilty based on the evidence presented. (even though I do believe he most likely did. Please note that dying your hair and acting like an a$$hole is not evidence that he was guilty.

As compliance officers all of you should know the implications of decisions based on shallow, incomplete, or inconclusive information. This is like reverse Jury nullification. Shameful.

sf

Return to Top
#288466 - 01/04/05 09:51 PM Re: peterson gets death
Anonymous
Unregistered

He didn't do it

Return to Top
#288467 - 01/04/05 09:53 PM Re: peterson gets death
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
no wonder you posted anonymously
(and yes he did)

Return to Top
#288468 - 01/04/05 09:55 PM Re: peterson gets death
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

He didn't do it

And you know this HOW???

Return to Top
#288469 - 01/04/05 10:14 PM Re: peterson gets death
Anonymous
Unregistered

All evidence was circumstantial. Call in CSI.

Return to Top
#288470 - 01/04/05 10:19 PM Re: peterson gets death
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I've yet to see an innocent person refuse to take the stand in their own defense...If he didn't do it, he should not have just sat their smirking. I'd be showing my outrage, I'd be chomping at the bit to take the stand and testify. Circumstantial? Certainly. Airtight? You bet!

Return to Top
#288471 - 01/04/05 11:50 PM Re: peterson gets death
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
We just had a local guy released after 14 years in prison for rape, one he didn't commit. He would have been there the rest of his life if someone hadn't believed in him and had DNA testing done. The guy actually said he wasn't bitter and just wanted to get on with his life.

I am not saying that this compares to the Peterson case but I do have a problem with the death penalty in cases where the evidence is circumstantial.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2