Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#288519 - 12/14/04 02:21 PM Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. Ed.).
Anonymous
Unregistered

It comes out today. I can not wait to see the extended footage.
Anyone else picking it up?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#288520 - 12/14/04 03:01 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. Ed.).
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
My boyfriend assured me he would be going to pick it up on his way home tonight. He is a LOTR freak.

Return to Top
#288521 - 12/14/04 03:04 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. Ed.).
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I am also swinging by the store to buy it tonight.

(I have been counting down for several months.)

Return to Top
#288522 - 12/14/04 03:04 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. Ed.).
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

My boyfriend assured me he would be going to pick it up on his way home tonight. He is a LOTR freak.

you and my girlfriend would get along great.
i said that i was picking it up today also (i have all versions of the other 2) and her reply; "i can't believe i am going out with a dork."
ah, love..... nice, huh?

Return to Top
#288523 - 12/14/04 03:58 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. Ed.).
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
That's going to be the hubby's Christmas present from the kidlets

Return to Top
#288524 - 12/14/04 07:28 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Of course, we're going to buy it. How could we not?

Return to Top
#288525 - 12/16/04 01:43 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
Anonymous
Unregistered

i picked this dvd up last nite to complete my lord of the rings collection.
let me tell ya, all 3 of the extended versions look great on my dvd rack.
hopefully, i'll get a chance to watch it tonite.

Return to Top
#288526 - 12/16/04 01:56 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Mine was sitting on my doorstep waiting for me last night, when I returned home from my Sunday School Class Christmas Party. Friday night is movie night for my daughter and I. Guess what we will be curled up watching tomorrow night? We'll have lots of hot chocolate (the home-made variety) and popcorn.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#288527 - 12/16/04 02:21 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
Lots of extra scenes, some of them WAY off course from the book (and add nothing but my opinion only) but hey, this is Peter Jackson's version of LOTR. I have only watched the second half (the extra battle scenes are great). I wish they would have gone into more depth with Faramir and Eowen's relationship.

How can a LOTR fan NOT have the full 4-DVD set of each movie?

Return to Top
#288528 - 12/16/04 04:54 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
THECradenza Offline
New Poster
Dallas, TX
I really like that they added the Mouth of Sauron, but I wish they would have gone into more depth in the House of Healing

Return to Top
#288529 - 12/16/04 10:25 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

How can a LOTR fan NOT have the full 4-DVD set of each movie?

I'd say there's a big difference between being a LOTR fan and a fan of the movies. I have read the books numerous times and found the movies very different in key areas. Tolkien did not want his books made into a movie (yes, the Beatles were initially thought of to play the hobbits way back when) because he said all the movies would focus on would be the battle scenes and the characters would be portrayed as being different from their intent. I guess he was right...

Return to Top
#288530 - 12/16/04 10:28 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
Anonymous
Unregistered

i thought the characters were great. i thought samwise was exactly what tolkien pictured and wrote him to be. he was the hero that wasn't in the foreground. he stepped up everytime when it mattered. that is what tolkien wanted samwise to be like.

i really just loved these movies and have watched them numerous times. i really can't get enough of them.

Return to Top
#288531 - 12/16/04 11:47 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
While I too enjoy the books more than the movies, the movies are still fantastic in my opinion. The movies did focus mainly on the battles, but lets face it, the council meetings in the books bored me to tears. The characters came alive in the movies, and that made them great.

Return to Top
#288532 - 12/17/04 03:54 AM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

i thought the characters were great. i thought samwise was exactly what tolkien pictured and wrote him to be. he was the hero that wasn't in the foreground. he stepped up everytime when it mattered. that is what tolkien wanted samwise to be like.

I agree BG. I've always said that the story of LOTR is really about Samwise Gamgee. Frodo gets more attention, but Sam is the main character. He represents the triumph of the common man, because without the good and true Sam along, the quest would have been a total failure.

Return to Top
#288533 - 12/17/04 01:41 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
My point was getting the two DVD set vs. the four DVD set due to the extra material. Books were better than the movies due to the detail but the movies brought everything to life. Which was great.

Return to Top
#288534 - 12/17/04 01:47 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
The 1st two expanded versions actually put back into the movie some things that were in the books and left out of the 1st two theatre versions. I'm hoping the 3rd one will as well. The 3rd theatre movie seemed a bit choppy & disjointed to me.

I've also been told by some that some things in the 1st two movies didn't happen in the books. Well, there were a few things, but a lot of people don't apparently read the footnotes to the books, which is where some of this occurred.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#288535 - 12/17/04 05:08 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
The problem I had was with the changing of the characters' integrity. For example Faramir. Although Tolkien portrayed him as having much more integrity than his brother Boromir, he never seriously took the ring. He was tempted, as all were, but let Frodo go on his way. The movie, however, sets up a fake battle by having Faramir wanting to claim the ring for Gondor. That bothered me because it was just as Tolkien said, he feared for the perversion of his characters. I thought the movies were well done, but I can't watch them more than once.

Return to Top
#288536 - 12/17/04 07:20 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

The problem I had was with the changing of the characters' integrity. For example Faramir.

I'm with you. Most of the changes Jackson made for the movie don't bother me. I understand it's a movie and not the books. But I agree, the Faramir thing was a strange twist that doesn't really seem to add anything significant to the movie story line. The only reason I can think they did it was to have an opportunity to show the ruins of Osgiliath and set up his conflict with Denethor.)

In the books, Faramir is one of my favorite characters. He is the contrast to his brother.

The two scenes from the book I wish Jackson could have figured out how to put in the movies were (1) Tom Bombadil and "2) the scourging of the Shire.

Return to Top
#288537 - 12/17/04 07:30 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

The problem I had was with the changing of the characters' integrity. For example Faramir.

I'm with you. Most of the changes Jackson made for the movie don't bother me. I understand it's a movie and not the books. But I agree, the Faramir thing was a strange twist that doesn't really seem to add anything significant to the movie story line. The only reason I can think they did it was to have an opportunity to show the ruins of Osgiliath and set up his conflict with Denethor.)

In the books, Faramir is one of my favorite characters. He is the contrast to his brother.

The two scenes from the book I wish Jackson could have figured out how to put in the movies were (1) Tom Bombadil and "2) the scourging of the Shire.

Peter said that he didn't understand the scourging of the shire and that is why he left it out.
You do see Tom in the Fellowship but only briefly. You see him when the Ring Wraiths venture into the Shire to find Frodo.

I thought the battle scene in Return of the King was the battle scene of all battle scenes for all movies to be judged by.

Return to Top
#288538 - 12/17/04 07:54 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I have to agree about Tom Bombadil and the scourging of the shire. Why jackson didn't understand that not even the most remote, uninterested place is safe from the ravaging of evil I don't understand.

Return to Top
#288539 - 12/17/04 08:06 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Yeah, I was VERY dissapointed in the ending, to say the least. I liked how it showed that they came full circle, and put Sam in the forefront. No one really understood/cared what Frodo did, and Sam, Merry, and Pippin got all the glory. I thought that was one of the better parts of the book, as well as dealing with Saruman. They never mention what happens to him in the movies. I can somewhat see why he didn't include Bombadil. He's a little fruity, even for me (as a huge fan of LOTR). I think he was worried about turning "non-fans" away from the movie because the media would have made a big deal about a guy who prances around with yellow boots and feather in his hat who sings all day...

Return to Top
#288540 - 12/19/04 12:45 AM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
When you see the extended version of ROTK, you'll find out what happens to Saruman, but I won't spoil it for you by telling you about it here.

I think the reason PJ left out Tom Bombadil is because, even as Tolkien himself admitted, the episode with Bombadil and Goldberry really does nothing to advance the story. It was just a very interesting detour on the trip to Bree. Oh, and I've never thought of Bombadil as "fruity." He's an enigma. There are two characters in the books without peer -- Bombadil, and Sauron. (Some might include the balrog, but there was more than one balrog in the old days.)

I thought the ending was OK, because it did bring everything back to focus on Sam at the end.

But I did think it was pretty stupid of the sriptwriters to say that the ship Frodo and Bilbo took was the last one to leave Middle Earth. (When I think about this "last ship to sail" Hollywood garbage being thrown into the script, I can't help but be reminded of the crass movie mogul from the Coen brothers film, "Barton Fink." I can just see Peter Jackson smoking a big cigar sitting in a meeting with his scriptwriters. He glowers at them from behind his big desk and says, "Of course it has to the last ship to sail from Middle Earth, you dummies. That way even the little old grandmas will know the story is over. What are you, a bunch of idiots or something?!")

If you read the Appendices to the book, you'll learn that ships continued to leave after Frodo and Bilbo went away. It is rumored that Legolas and Gimli left together on a ship (and that Gimili was the only Dwarf who was allowed a place on a ship.) You'll also learn that Sam left many years later after he was old and Rose Cotton had passed away. Sam was the last of the Ringbearers, and as such, was accorded a place on an Elven ship.

Return to Top
#288541 - 12/19/04 12:50 AM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Hey, Blind Guardian, I looked for the glimpse of Bombadil in the movie when the Nazgul entered the Shire. I couldn't find anything. Could you tell me what action is happening immediatly prior to the scene you're talking about?

Return to Top
#288542 - 12/20/04 02:28 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
Quote:

When you see the extended version of ROTK, you'll find out what happens to Saruman, but I won't spoil it for you by telling you about it here.

But that's not what really happened to Saruman or Wormtongue in the book. I watched it this weekend. I, too, was disappointed with Faramir's treatment although they redeemed themselves with their treatment of him in #3. It was an enjoyable movie - it didn't follow the storyline in the book as well as it could have, but still enjoyable.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#288543 - 12/20/04 02:38 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Spec. E
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Hey, Blind Guardian, I looked for the glimpse of Bombadil in the movie when the Nazgul entered the Shire. I couldn't find anything. Could you tell me what action is happening immediatly prior to the scene you're talking about?

it's when the ringwraith asks the scared little hobbit about baggins and tom replies, frodo, he's up in hobbiton.

i still have not watched the extended version of 3 but the extended versions of the first 2 are excellent.
you do see the faramir is really looking out for frodo when he roughs up gollum when they are leaving the city to go back on the trip to mount doom.

i think i'll be watching the extended king over teh christmas weekend.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2