BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#289984 - 12/16/04 05:22 PM West Wing
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Anyone been watching the West Wing lately? Boy, it that a good show! Last night, President Bartlett had an MS episode, where his legs stopped working. Martin Sheen really got across the frustration of being a once vibrant president, no longer feeling like he could do his job.

I wonder if the show will continue with a new cast of characters, cause you know his term can't last forever.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#289985 - 12/16/04 05:29 PM Re: West Wing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Anyone been watching the West Wing lately? Boy, it that a good show! Last night, President Bartlett had an MS episode, where his legs stopped working. Martin Sheen really got across the frustration of being a once vibrant president, no longer feeling like he could do his job.

I wonder if the show will continue with a new cast of characters, cause you know his term can't last forever.

That is so funny you bring it up. I was an avid WW fan, then lost interest. BUT, I have tuned in the last several episodes and I don't know if I've been missing it, or if the show has just gotten that much better. Missed last nite's episode and am now agonizing over it...

So, if you have been watching all along is this par for the course, or is this year one of the best???

Return to Top
#289986 - 12/16/04 05:29 PM Re: West Wing
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Wasn't he just re-elected last year? It seems a little early for them to be starting the whole nomination process all over again, but then, it is TV.

Return to Top
#289987 - 12/16/04 05:37 PM Re: West Wing
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Yes, I have been watching all along. Last year, the stories dragged. This year is much improved.

Next week I believe is a rerun of a previous Christmas episode. Hopefully, they will show the last couple of shows over the holidays so you can catch up.

Return to Top
#289988 - 12/16/04 05:44 PM Re: West Wing
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Love that show, I tape it because someone with always call, talk, or something and you really just can't miss a single scene. It's going to be very interesting with some of these new characters, Jimmy Smits, Alan Alda. I hope Donna is not really leaving.

What do you think of Alda in the show? I just can't see him as a good guy, he's done too many shows where he is trying to do in the President, but I would like to see him back on the good guy side. He really plays both the good guy and the bad guy so well.

Return to Top
#289989 - 12/16/04 05:53 PM Re: West Wing
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
No offense, of course, but I can't take it. MS actually believes he is the president outside of the show. Disturbing when you can't separate fantasy from reality. JMHO.

Return to Top
#289990 - 12/16/04 05:54 PM Re: West Wing
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
That is the only TV show that I can say that I really, really love. I pretty only watch TV to catch a football game these days....no time. But, I would love to buy the entire thing on DVD someday.

That said, the only episode I've seen recently was the one where Leo had a heart attack (and passed away, I think right?). Is that Alda's position?

Return to Top
#289991 - 12/16/04 05:59 PM Re: West Wing
BamaLaw Offline
BamaLaw
Didn't even realize that this vehicle for the liberal agenda was even still in production. Oh, well...guess that goes to show how little I care.

Return to Top
#289992 - 12/16/04 06:00 PM Re: West Wing
Are we there yet? Offline
Trying to find Nemo
Leo is alive but not the Chief of Staff anymore. CJ was promoted to that position.

I used to watch this show all the time, but they lost me during the whole MS storyline. I've started watching it again this year and have enjoyed most of it.

Return to Top
#289993 - 12/16/04 06:24 PM Re: West Wing
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I don't like the unreal quality of the MS aspect.

Return to Top
#289994 - 12/16/04 06:49 PM Re: West Wing
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Alan Alda is a senator who is running for president, since Bartlett can't go for another term. No one seems to like the VP; they think he's incompetent. The ex VP wants to run, but he has too much baggage. Josh is trying to get Jimmy Smits to run, as he is an ethical (as politicians go), family values kind of congressman.

As for Leo, he pokes in and gives some help, but last night I caught him breathing hard as he was walking, that I hope he doesn't have another heart attack. Since both of my folks had heart trouble when I was young, I am particularly sensitive to signals like that. My ma's heart would squeak like a cat when she overtaxed herself; a leaky blood vessel. Dad would get breathless pretty easily in his last days.

Return to Top
#289995 - 12/16/04 06:50 PM Re: West Wing
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Cool that CJ was promoted. I like Josh, too. I wondered if he would become the "go-to" guy.

Return to Top
#289996 - 12/16/04 06:55 PM Re: West Wing
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Didn't this show jump the shark a few seasons ago?

Return to Top
#289997 - 12/16/04 07:49 PM Re: West Wing
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I have watched it from the beginning and there was a stretch where the show wasn't as good because the main writer had left. Having John Goodman as a republican speaker of the house who becomes president for a short time and portraying him as a warmonger was disappointing to me. It is better now, but I didn't like that asteroid story line in last night's show. The show didn't need it. The show frustrates me at times at the way it paints
republicans but I calm down over time.

I have always enjoyed the wit of the conversations between the show's characters.

Return to Top
#289998 - 12/16/04 08:33 PM Re: West Wing
mwhitaker Offline
Texas
Great Show!!! Not only do my husband and I watch it on Wednesday nights...we watch the reruns on Bravo everynight...Especially on Mondays when they have West Wing Marathon! We did not watch it until the last couple of seasons, but now I think we have seen almost every episode. I fell asleep last night and missed the end!!!

I hope Jimmy Smits is the next Pres!!

Return to Top
#289999 - 12/16/04 09:32 PM Re: West Wing
mfc9 Offline
I stopped watching it after the first season. It seems like they are always walking down a hallway!!!

Return to Top
#290000 - 12/16/04 09:55 PM Re: West Wing
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
I've seen every episode - many of them more than once. Last season the writing was off a bit but it's back this year!

Bartlett's "2nd term" runs until January 2006; however Sheen is only under contract through the end of this season. They're hoping to get him back at least until his term is up but if he won't sign they're ready to remove him from office for health reasons and move the VP up for the last few month.

According to TV Guide, the producers have not made a decision on which candidate (Smitts or Alda) will win - both actors signed on for two seasons.

I know the show has a strong liberal bias and as a conservative it should annoy me, but I can't help myself - I love the show. We've solved the phone call problem - we take the phone off the hook for that hour!

Return to Top
#290001 - 12/16/04 11:00 PM Re: West Wing
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
To me, the older shows are better written than the recent episodes, but they have gotten through the deep slump they were in several months ago. It's on BRAVO at noon every day, so that's when I take my lunch hour. I will sit through a whole episode to see one or two scenes that I particularly enjoy. The ISAAC AND ISHMAEL episode was the most well crafted piece of commentary I have ever seen woven into a TV show.

Perhaps it's my version of a fantasy. Only when I am watching it do I believe that people in government are that smart and work so tirelessly to do the right thing.

Return to Top
#290002 - 12/16/04 11:20 PM Re: West Wing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Love that show, I tape it because someone with always call, talk, or something and you really just can't miss a single scene. It's going to be very interesting with some of these new characters, Jimmy Smits, Alan Alda. I hope Donna is not really leaving.

What do you think of Alda in the show? I just can't see him as a good guy, he's done too many shows where he is trying to do in the President, but I would like to see him back on the good guy side. He really plays both the good guy and the bad guy so well.

I used to tape it whether I actually watched real time or not. I don't always know if I'll be home in time and that was my safety net. Forgot last nite...

The conversations are so witty and complex and at times everything moves so fast that if you blink you could miss something.

Talking about Alda, I particularly liked the exchange between him and Josh when he was offered the UN position. Very good scripting...instant character development. Gee, some shows are on for years and NEVER develop their characters. I think character development is also a big plus for the CSI trilogy (and I'm still hanging in there for NY...)

Return to Top
#290003 - 12/16/04 11:58 PM Re: West Wing
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
One day Josh will leave the show and realize that he and I are meant to be together (he's a real guy right...not a character?) heh heh

President Bartlett wouldn't get out of the dang plane because he was in ALASKA! We're not so happy with him. Look for an appology episode soon (Our mayor, senator and two other senior folks wrote to "President Bartlet" about the episode...pretty funny stuff)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#290004 - 12/17/04 04:59 AM Re: West Wing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm totally addicted to it. Watch it real and on Bravo too.

Here's the scoop on Alda. He's running for the REPUBLICAN nomination. That's why Josh didn't want to go to him about the UN position. Remember the scene where Donna and Josh were watching him tossing his hat into the ring and she said to Josh, "You will be here to talk me out of voting for him, right?"

Alda's character is going to be great. Pitting him against Smits (hopefully) in an election campaign will bring new storylines to this show. I see it evolving in much the same manner as ER has with characters in and out.

Note: in September, Barlett was starting year 5 of his presidency. Now he's up to year 7. Guess that makes sense if they're not sure he's going to re-up for more.

Return to Top
#290005 - 12/17/04 05:01 AM Re: West Wing
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
That was me above. I'm the WW addict. It's the one show my husband and I make a point to watch together.

Return to Top
#290006 - 12/17/04 02:47 PM Re: West Wing
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I have finally gotten MOML to leave the answering machine pick up any calls during the West Wing or CSI.

I loved the old Thansgiving episode, where they put the turkeys in CJ's office.

Return to Top
#290007 - 12/17/04 03:41 PM Re: West Wing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I have finally gotten MOML to leave the answering machine pick up any calls during the West Wing or CSI.

I loved the old Thansgiving episode, where they put the turkeys in CJ's office.

I am so fired up...there will be a lot more BRAVO viewing in my house now. You know a show is good when you can watch an episode more than once. Like L&O...some of those I have seen multiple times.

Return to Top
#290008 - 12/17/04 10:21 PM Re: West Wing
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Quote:

Note: in September, Barlett was starting year 5 of his presidency. Now he's up to year 7. Guess that makes sense if they're not sure he's going to re-up for more.

That's what I thought too (5th season, 5th year) but, as it turns out, the series started mid-way through the first term. Season two started with the aftermath of the shooting and ended with the MS disclosure. The opening of season three was the MS press conference where he was asked, "Mr. President can you tell us right now if you'll be seeking a second term?" to which he replied, "yea." The third season continued with the debates & election (that's when Sam left). In January of the 3rd season ('02) he started his second term. Now we're in season 6. January of season 7 ('06) will be four years since he started his second term.

Confused? I was until TV Guide put it all in a nice time line a few weeks ago.

Return to Top