Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#292877 - 12/23/04 07:20 PM Getting out of a lease?
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I have a small business. Currently I'm located in a spot that I want to get out of. I have about 1 1/2 years left on the lease. Part of the problem is the spot I'm leasing just flooded and currently there is no expected date for me to move back in. They gave me a temporary space that will work for now but is less convenient. Also, the lease says they shovel the snow and clean up the outside. Well I keep telling them to shovel and clean up because they won't do it on their own. Can I legally break this lease? How much documentation do I need for proof? I've asked them to shovel 3 times and pick up the outside at least twice. However I don't have hard physical proof of this.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#292878 - 12/23/04 07:29 PM Re: Getting out of a lease?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Talk to a lawyer, best money spent.

Return to Top
#292879 - 01/04/05 08:46 PM Re: Getting out of a lease?
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
I was in a situation like this not too long ago and took pictures of the grass uncut, snow not shoveled and damges that were to be fixed, messes outside, etc. I also documented everything everyday in a note pad. Once I had a decent amount of stuff talked to lawyer for legal advice and then I went to the rental management and showed them eveything I had on the situation and told them of my lawyer and right then and there they let me leave my lease, stay up to month free while I finished the moving process to the new place and I got my security deposit back!! It was cheaper for them to do it that way then fight with lawyers and court fees. maybe you should try to do that.

Return to Top
#292880 - 01/04/05 09:17 PM Re: Getting out of a lease?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since the landlord is responsible to shovel the walk of snow and doesn't.... maybe a couple slip and fall lawsuits would help him decode to let you out of the lease

Return to Top
#292881 - 01/04/05 09:18 PM Re: Getting out of a lease?
Anonymous
Unregistered

please provide the address. I have an excellent ambulance chaser counselor and I can travel!

Return to Top
#292882 - 01/04/05 09:25 PM Re: Getting out of a lease?
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
You guys are funny. I think I will start documenting with photos though. My space flooded and it has been a month. They said I can move back in on Friday but as is nothing has changed since they tore up the carpet. I'm going to take pictures and keep waiting. I believe the lease says they need to fix the problem within 60 days or let me out of my lease. They are halfway there. I figure if I don't push them they will forget for another month. Then I can get out. We'll see.

Return to Top