Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#297344 - 01/04/05 04:07 PM Flags Half Mast
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody know why the flags are at half mast today???? (1/4/05) I know there have been a couple of former/current senators or reps. that have died in the past few days but I wasnt sure if that was the reason.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#297345 - 01/04/05 04:11 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Victims of Tsunami

Return to Top
#297346 - 01/04/05 04:16 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Swimware is correct - a lot of places & virtually all gov't buildings will have flags at half mast all this week in honor of the tsunami victims.

(I had to ask yesterday when I saw the flags myself.)

Return to Top
#297347 - 01/04/05 04:20 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I had thought that as well, I have just never heard of us lowering the flag for something in another country. But I agree with it...If this had happened in the US it would be huge news...like 9/11. But 10 times bigger. I have never seen an event like this talked about here in the US that didnt happen in the US. It makes me realize that we dont really pay attention to the rest of the world as a whole. Our Gov't definately does. And the Tsunami is getting a lot of media attention...but nowhere near in regards to the devastation it has caused. A disaster like this should get 24 hour attention.

Return to Top
#297348 - 01/04/05 04:33 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
There are at least 3000 Americans who are still missing. We've been so blessed not to have seen a disaster of this magnitude before. The world must pull together and mourn together - as they did during 9/11. Many different nationalities were lost during both events.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#297349 - 01/05/05 12:31 AM Re: Flags Half Mast
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Too bad we continue to ignore things like the 2 million people that have been killed in the civil war in Sudan since 1983 - I guess just natural disasters count.

Return to Top
#297350 - 01/05/05 12:05 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Anonymous
Unregistered

Flags should be at half-mast thru Friday, and if your bank is anything like mine, if you don't do it, you will have a segment of your customers who will let you know about it!

Return to Top
#297351 - 01/05/05 02:51 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I already called my church and left a message saying I thought it shocking they hadn't lowered their flag!

Return to Top
#297352 - 01/05/05 03:28 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I already called my church and left a message saying I thought it shocking they hadn't lowered their flag!

May I recommend... link

Return to Top
#297353 - 01/05/05 03:39 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Jokerman, no, you may not recommend it. I have plenty of friends and I do influence people. I got a call from my church already this morning and they were glad I had called. The flag is now at half mast.

Return to Top
#297354 - 01/05/05 03:41 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Randy, don't be cranky (and what are YOU doing in the cooler anyway???)

Return to Top
#297355 - 01/05/05 04:02 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

Too bad we continue to ignore things like the 2 million people that have been killed in the civil war in Sudan since 1983 - I guess just natural disasters count.

Of course you're right. The humanitarian disaster in Sudan is on a much greater magnitude and is patently ignored by most of the world.

To me though, that doesn't take away from the suffering of the Tsunami victims. In many ways a natural disaster is easier for us to understand and the help needed is something we can understand and respond to. Sudan is a lot more difficult to know how to help.

Return to Top
#297356 - 01/05/05 05:51 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Jokerman, no, you may not recommend it. I have plenty of friends and I do influence people. I got a call from my church already this morning and they were glad I had called. The flag is now at half mast.

Well, I already have recommended it, so I guess that's that.

I just think calling to say "hey, I thought I'd let you know..." as opposed to "I think it's shocking that you..." might be a little better way to approach it. Just my opinion, though. If your approach works - bully for you.

Return to Top
#297357 - 01/05/05 06:11 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

I just think calling to say "hey, I thought I'd let you know..." as opposed to "I think it's shocking that you..." might be a little better way to approach it. Just my opinion, though. If your approach works - bully for you.

You don't know my approach, I was shocked. Did I say that in my message? No. I did make sure they knew I was surprised, since we are doing a lot more from the church to support the relief efforts. From a brief utterance on the board you assume you know how I handled things, and are completely and totally wrong. Congratulations on your ability to be ignorant this morning!

Return to Top
#297358 - 01/05/05 06:20 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

You don't know my approach, I was shocked. Did I say that in my message? No.

Well, let's see what you said you did:

Quote:

Ok then...no wonder you're upset with me for...wait, why are you upset with me?

Quote:

From a brief utterance on the board you assume you know how I handled things, and are completely and totally wrong. Congratulations on your ability to be ignorant this morning!

Yeah, sorry about that. Don't know why I thought that you might have flown off the handle...

Return to Top
#297359 - 01/05/05 06:21 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I know the solution - life sentences for anyone who fails to lower their flag...

Return to Top
#297360 - 01/05/05 07:14 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
And six lashes with a wet spagetti noodle. Sheesh boys, take a time out

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#297361 - 01/05/05 07:23 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Quote:

And six lashes with a wet spagetti noodle. Sheesh boys, take a time out

Can we say cruel and unusual punishment??

Return to Top
#297362 - 01/05/05 08:48 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
No just unusual

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#297363 - 01/05/05 09:26 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Must be "that time of the month" for the guys....they sure seem "testy"

Return to Top
#297364 - 01/05/05 09:40 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I'm not testy at all - in fact, I was trying to be helpful.

Oh well - no good deed goes unpunished.

Return to Top
#297365 - 01/05/05 09:50 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Quote:

I know the solution - life sentences for anyone who fails to lower their flag...

LOL

Return to Top
#297366 - 01/05/05 09:54 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Whatup Offline
Gold Star
I sort of wonder if the flags would be at half mast if it was not for the large # of Americans affected by this tragedy. Not that I think it should make a difference. Loss of life is loss of life...American or not

Return to Top
#297367 - 01/05/05 10:18 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it's because Paragon was banned by those BOL management types.

Return to Top
#297368 - 01/05/05 10:20 PM Re: Flags Half Mast
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Quote:

I think it's because Paragon was banned by those BOL management types.

Oh, let it go already.

Return to Top
#297369 - 01/06/05 01:04 AM Re: Flags Half Mast
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You don't know my approach, I was shocked. Did I say that in my message? No. I did make sure they knew I was surprised, since we are doing a lot more from the church to support the relief efforts. From a brief utterance on the board you assume you know how I handled things, and are completely and totally wrong. Congratulations on your ability to be ignorant this morning!

Michael, I usually don't say much about people's attitudes but lately you have seemed a little testy in your reposnses to people. I realize that writing doesn't always reflect our true attitudes at the time, but when that is all you have to go on, you tend to make assumptions.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is how you go on about being such a strong Christian and then use such negative responses toward other posters.

Maybe Jokerman shouldn't have commented on your post, but I actually took it the same way he did. Then for you to continue on to call him ignorant just sealed the fact you come across as a very defensive bully.

Take a deep breath, lighten up and think about how your responses reflect on your on-line personality.

Return to Top
#297370 - 01/06/05 10:18 AM Re: Flags Half Mast
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought this was a simple post about the flag????? I know it was in the Watercooler, but why do posts need to go to an ugly zone. (and before anyone says it's not ugly - reread it; it's why I visit the WC very infrequently - somehow, somewhere, the spirit of the WC got lost, and it's not just a Paragonian issue.
Last edited by CubDave; 01/06/05 10:22 AM.
Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2