Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#313160 - 02/07/05 02:13 PM date acct opened required on checks??
trout22 Offline
Gold Star
I just read my weekly BOL compliance update, and Ken Golliher said answered the question as...it's not a federal regulation, but some state regulations DO require this (KY and IL for example). So Illinois DOES require the date the account was opened to be printed on the face of the checks?

I am not saying Ken is wrong, but I had just never heard this was required for us before. Could anyone give me the reg so I can take this info to my operations manager.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#313161 - 02/07/05 05:55 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
Sure. It's 205 ILCS 605/2. Scroll down to Section 2.

Return to Top
#313162 - 02/07/05 07:22 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok, great... Thanks!

Return to Top
#313163 - 02/09/05 04:21 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
Anonymous
Unregistered

IL. law requiring dates of account opening on checks. Does any one know what provide checks means? As a bank I do not provide checks I sell them, I make them available to customers. What about checks purchased from an independant third party? I have no control.

Return to Top
#313164 - 02/14/05 06:19 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Well, "provide" is defined as: To furnish; supply; To make available; afford; To set down as a stipulation.

The act also states that no liability or penalty shall be imposed on any FI or printer for an unintentional failure to comply.

Are you going to catch every single check, no. Is it a problem if you don't, probably not. How do they order checks? Do your CSR's give them a completed order form? If so, it should be on there.

Return to Top
#313165 - 03/04/05 03:24 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
arb Offline
100 Club
Illinois
Don't mean to bring this up again, but doesn't the date only need to be on the check if the account was open prior to 1/1/82?

Return to Top
#313166 - 03/05/05 06:42 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
banktigress Offline
New Poster
Chicago
Yes, any account opened before 01/82 does not require the date opened.

Return to Top
#313167 - 04/01/05 04:00 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to bring this all up again, but now I'm confused. Is it required in IL that all checking accounts have the month and year on the face of the check? What is the deal with the '82 date above?

Return to Top
#313168 - 04/01/05 05:48 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
The 1/82 date is when the statute went into effect, as spelled out there in the link above.

Return to Top
#313169 - 04/28/05 09:13 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Opening dates are required on checks now. I know
Deluxe and Clarke American will not order checks without an opening date. I have worked in a call center for a big bank and we received calls from these check order companies requesting the opening date because they can't complete an order without it.

Return to Top
#313170 - 05/02/05 03:50 PM Re: date acct opened required on checks??
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
I contacted DeLuxe about the opening date being required on checks when our examiners were here. DeLuxe stated that they would put the opening date on checks if the bank requested they do so, but it was not automatic.

Return to Top