Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#314158 - 02/09/05 01:48 PM MSB Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a customer who owns an ATM and purchases the cash to fund the ATM from us (and makes significant cash deposits as well). I've done some research but am still a little unclear about the definition of a MSB. Would this cusotmer be considered a money service business?
Thanks!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#314159 - 02/09/05 01:55 PM Re: MSB Question
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Wouldn't that depend on whether or not there was a limit on daily withdrawals from the ATM?

Return to Top
#314160 - 02/09/05 02:40 PM Re: MSB Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

So if they cannot withdraw more than $1,000, they would not be a MSB? If they could withdraw more than $1,000 then would they be a MSB?

Return to Top
#314161 - 02/09/05 05:35 PM Re: MSB Question
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
We have just such a customer....a real pain to deal with. I talked to the FinCEN about this customer and was told that he is considered a financial institution = an agent for a bank. I was also told that this customer is not exemptable.

No mention was made of the customer being a MSB.
Just to be safe, you might want to make to FinCEN and see if you get the same answer as I

Return to Top
#314162 - 02/09/05 09:52 PM Re: MSB Question
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
I do not believe that an owner of a private ATM is considered an MSB (at least I hope not!).

Return to Top
#314163 - 04/07/05 07:45 PM Re: MSB Question
Tink Offline
I spoke with FinCEN on the same type of issue and was informed that the customer would be considered a Money Transmitter for purposes of BSA and therefore ineligible for exemption.

Return to Top
#314164 - 04/07/05 08:07 PM Re: MSB Question
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Don't take any of these suggestions above as "gospel" since each fact situation is different. For instance, you need to know whether a customer's revenue comes primarily from the operation of the ATMs or if this is just a sideline income. That will enter into a discussion of whether the customer might be exemptible (although I would not favor exempting a non-bank ATM operator).

In other words, you probably need to discuss your specific situation with a FinCEN representative or your own regulator. Try to get a response in writing. If you can't, get the representative's name and address, and write that person a detailed description of the telephone conversation and findings, to document what you heard.

I would be interested in figuring out how an ATM operator might be considered a money transmitter, Tink. Or was your issue not about an ATM operator?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#314165 - 04/08/05 11:02 AM Re: MSB Question
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Anon, why would this customer be making cash deposits? Don't those ATMs dispense cash only?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z